Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 09:03   #16
BHPian

re: My Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS : Rust, Reliability & Regret

Regret that I could not individually quote each one for replies but here is something in nutshell :

1. Bike was always parked in covered parking
2. I am NOT claiming any warranty..period....pls no more obstuse references to this issue...
3. It was driven on off on weekends locally - no long rides - but regularly driven & fuel topped up as required
4. @Urban_Nomad : Request no personal observations
5. Chemical & metallurgical science has advanced - no excuses are acceptable from manufacturer for designing a poor quality product.
6. NO RUST - that's a fundamental basic of fuel system design - are we so naïve to ignore this ?
7. Since the root cause of not starting is not diagnosed yet - I Can't say much more.
Old 12th October 2018, 10:16   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS : Rust, Reliability & Regret

Sorry to hear about your predicament, buddy.

Frankly, you shouldn't have missed your scheduled services buddy. You've only weakened your position by doing that. To maintain warranty coverage, manufacturers insist on adhering to scheduled services not just for the bike's health, but also for the service center's health (that's the real profit center ). Legally, they are in their rights to deny any free replacements.

This would especially be the case for a newly developed product - I would guard my warranty with a shield . Just FYI: I read about some Bajaj promotion where they are now offering a 5-year warranty on the Dominar.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 10:21   #18
TRR
BHPian

Re: Dominar 400 ABS : Rust, Reliability & Regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
3. It was driven on off on weekends locally - no long rides - but regularly driven & fuel topped up as required
5. Chemical & metallurgical science has advanced - no excuses are acceptable from manufacturer for designing a poor quality product.
6. NO RUST - that's a fundamental basic of fuel system design - are we so naïve to ignore this ?
Regularly driven does not add up to only 650 kms in 21 months. This machine is not brand new from any perspective IMO.

I can understand the issues with lackadaisical attitude from the service center guys, but I find it very hard to sympathize with your grievances on the quality of the bike itself. I know quite a few people who own this bike. While it does have its fair share of issues, yours is the first instance (reported online, at least) of rust in the fuel tank. If the product was engineered as badly as you claim it to be, this problem should have cropped up in other bikes on the road. There is definitely a connection between your riding pattern and these issues popping up on your bike. This combined with missing out on basic service intervals and (apparently) leaving the bike unused for long time periods will take its toll on any machine of today's age.

There are people who have ridden this bike to areas with much worse conditions than what you would find in any metro and they don't seem to have major complaints about the bike's quality. As far as I see it, this is not the case of a poor quality product, but rather a poorly ridden and poorly maintained one. You seem to have filled it, shut it and forgotten about the bike itself

This, however, is no excuse to the service center's attitude and I hope the service center and Bajaj pick up on this issue and help you get it resolved as soon as possible, but I just cannot seem to agree that this is a question mark on the quality of the bike.
TRR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 10:34   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sorry to hear about your predicament, buddy.

Frankly, you shouldn't have missed your scheduled services buddy. You've only weakened your position by doing that. To maintain warranty coverage, manufacturers insist on adhering to scheduled services not just for the bike's health, but also for the service center's health (that's the real profit center ). Legally, they are in their rights to deny any free replacements.

This would especially be the case for a newly developed product - I would guard my warranty with a shield . Just FYI: I read about some Bajaj promotion where they are now offering a 5-year warranty on the Dominar.
Thanks for your comments :

1. I am not asking for warranty coverage - regular services are must but this is a new bike & fuel system check up is not covered in any of three free services
2. Just highlighting rust, reliability & service issues here - I had expected better quality from such machine .
3. Hope that readers can learn from my mistakes & Bajaj mistakes too & I will get a reliable solution to all known & unknown issues in bike .
100BHP is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 11:06   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I can share 2 personal experiences with automobile rusting. If you don't want to go through the whole post, my point is any machine would in remain tip-top shape when used regularly and the performance becomes patchy when underutilized.

I have a preowned 2004-make, 6 year old 16k kms run Pulsar 150 DTSi in the past. The bike was well cared for, parked indoors, routinely cleaned and carefully ridden. However it remained mostly idle in the last 2 years before I got it, due to health conditions of the owner. The bike looked perfectly fine, except for a rusted silencer and worked flawlessly for few months. When I took the delivery, the bike had more than half tank petrol in its 18L tank. I was very happy with my purchase.

A year later, I could see traces of rusting in the tank and later the self-start button started acting up. My FNG opened the petrol tank to flush the fluids - 3 litres of petrol and 1 litre water and a lot of sludge, probably rust particles dissolved in the fluid. Even the carburetor had a lot of this sludge. But I never found any difference in performance, either before or after the cleaning. The bike ran like a dream under any condition.

Next check was the switchgear. There was rust and carbon deposits between the contacts under the button had damaged the switch. I replaced the switchgear assembly with a new one. Also got a new silencer pipe. My FNG said the only reason for these problems was the bike lying idle for extended period and not being used extensively. Rode the bike happily for another 3 years before selling, the final odo reading was 43k kms. There was no more rust build up when I had the bike.

I went on to buy a new Pulsar 180 to replace the above bike. Kept it for 3 years and 17k kms. Never observed any rusting issues till I sold off the bike.

Second experience, we had a M800 for a good 13 years and 82k kms. The car was absolutely fine for first 10 years and was used every few days for short or long runs. However, in the last 3 years, it ran anywhere between 500-800 kms per year. That is when the exhaust pipe rusted and had to be replaced. The doors and rims started rusting as well.
There are lot more examples of friends/relatives who faced rusting in their machines which were not used extensively.

Last edited by ashis89 : 12th October 2018 at 11:33.
ashis89 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 11:40   #21
BHPian

I am also an owner of RC390 which is strictly my weekend ride (17k kms in 4 years) and currently ventures out of parking only once a month on average (maybe be twice a month during winters but less than once a month during summers and monsoons). Even when I bought it, it was never going to be my daily ride. Now considering this, I have ensured following preventive measures over close to 4 years of ownership:

1. Start the bike every weekend. If not possible, start once every fortnight without fail. There was a time when I was away from home for about 3 months and I told dad to just start the bike every week, let it idle for 5 minutes and turn-off. This was the best that I could do during the period.

2. Thorough visual inspection every fortnight. Even if I don't ride, I try to inspect the bike as closely as possible, in the parking itself. This includes checking on engine for head leak (there is very minor one on my bike but hasn't increased), checking chain for rust (lubing every 500kms), front fork seals, radiator, all electricals etc.

3. Maintain minimum fuel but not tank up in storage. I always try and maintain around 3-4 liter fuel in bike, trying not to end up deep in reserve after ride. Not tanking up is due to point below.

4. Fresh fuel during every ride. I try and finish up a tank of fuel (about 5-7 liters) during every ride and knowing that stored fuel would have started degrading, every ride begins with fresh fuel topped up to brim. I don't know how helpful this is but hope that fresh fuel will dilute the degraded fuel enough to not cause damage.

5. Give deserved attention to a complex machine which is loaded with electronics. In comparison, I have a 2009 Discover 135 which was left untouched for about 6 months. I took it out, dusted it off, kicked twice and bike came to life with perfectly held idle. 50 kms of ride and even the battery charged up enough for electric start! I don't think my RC will survive such stunts, hence I give the deserved attention to the bike.

Dominar is a complex enough machine and needs some care. Unfortunately, we are blessed with rough weather, dusty climate, adulterated fuel and what not so periodic care is the minimum need. While it is possible that a few components may have gone bad and need replacement, I am sure there isn't anything that can't bring the bike back to fighting fit condition.

As for the service center experience, I never had and still don't put any trust in service centers to do their work diligently. I always keep little expectations and am prepared to engage with mechanics who would be happy to say there is no problem just to avoid laborious work.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 12th October 2018 at 11:48.
ksameer1234 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 11:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

The bike has missed the scheduled services, has not even crossed the run-in km suggested - perfect recipe for failing the bike and also the warranty terms. Even if the fuel injector had failed on a bike that was being used regularly, we probably shouldn't be jumping into conclusions. If we come across cases of fuel pump going kaput in quite a lot of Dominars, then we at least have some decent evidence to ask for a recall from Bajaj.

Considering that Bajaj is asking only 10k to get the parts changed, please go ahead and get that done. If you inquire the pars cost from Kawasaki or Benelli stables you will certainly be convinced that you are paying less than what those owners pay for regular servicing over 21 months.

Any product, no matter of what quality it is made of will certainly have a remote chance of encountering early failures, no one or no company can avoid that. And Bajaj asked its riders to go hyper riding - which you unfortunately never did! 650 kms in 21 months translates to 30 kms a month, gulp

Last edited by aravind.anand : 12th October 2018 at 11:48.
aravind.anand is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 13:04   #23
BHPian

Wow, I have learnt that unlike cars, bikes require more self disciplinary approach in keeping up its reliability. Even though manufacturers does not state anything in this regard when they sell the bike - owner's manual has no data based instructions as mentioned in many above posts.

We, bikers have made our own maintenance rules by judging the past failures & prevention plans - but let me ask few tips from you. Pls give me facts & don't use words like few days, some minutes, good KM's etc .

1. What is the minimum daily KM's a bike should run ?
2. If bike is to be started daily - how long it should be kept running ?
3. After how many days - we should expect rust ?
4. When Bajaj Manual says no checking required for fuel system or injectors for 2 years from the purchase of the bike - it means its functionality is assured for 2 years ?
5. Bikers have big hearts - it allows them to feel themselves responsible for the issues which otherwise should not be acceptable .. ask any Harley or Kawasaki high end bikes . You can also ask the same from Santro & Alto owners.
6. I own Scross & Dominar - both premium products in their class. Is it wrong to expect reasonable customer service for premium products ? From 1st phone call to the day issue is closed - manufacturers need to demonstrate their commitment to customer delight and this difference has made me a loyal customer of Maruti & never again customer of Bajaj .
7. Mine case may be the only one & other dominars are doing fine - I am happy for all of you but I am extremely distraught at the quality of my bike .
8. After working for a decade for Top automobile brands line Honda car as an engineer - I would request all bikers not to undersell on the mandatory quality from their bikes - bikes must be designed for the usage conditions of India, atmospheric conditions of India & faculties available in India .
9. Reason yourself - why bike makers don't put the conditions of usage in owner's manual if they are so set in stone as per your words ?
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 14:44   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, I have learnt that unlike cars, bikes require more self disciplinary approach in keeping up its reliability. Even though manufacturers does not state anything in this regard when they sell the bike - owner's manual has no data based instructions as mentioned in many above posts.
1. At least 500km per month.

2. Any vehicle with an internal combustion engine should be kept running at least until it reaches the operating temperature for good health.

3. Rust can occur even in the first week of purchase! I bought an Activa during rainy season and it was parked in open due to parking space problems, and it started to show signs of rust around the stand, on the armour and around the exhaust pipe. It all depends on how to vehicle is stored.

4. That has been specified for the bikes which are under normal use, and not like yours which only covered 600kms in 21 months. (No personal attack). Electronic parts can fail at any point, and that is something that can't be reasoned with, this is something that was told to me by Hyundai's and Maruti's technicians when some electrical problems occured in my cars.

7. You cannot really blame the bike here, think logically!
It's a machine that is meant to be operated and not kept packed in a corner.

In nearly 2 years worth of time, a lot of things could have gone bad, engine oil could've lost its viscosity and the gear oil too, chain lube would have dried up, petrol gone bad (even in 2 months), electricals chewed up by rats and rust is just another thing that can happen.

8. Bikes are meant to be ridden and they are designed for that purpose, not for storage purposes.

9. Yours are extraordinary conditions which almost 95% of the users won't face.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2018 at 08:27. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.Thanks!
Rshrey22 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 16:10   #25
BHPian

Moderator Note: Do NOT personally attack others or post in a rude manner. Keep it civil & polite on Team-BHP, even when in disagreement.

Last edited by GTO : 13th October 2018 at 08:31.
100BHP is offline   Received Infraction
Old 12th October 2018, 16:32   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Even though manufacturers does not state anything in this regard when they sell the bike - owner's manual has no data based instructions as mentioned in many above posts.
I am sure you would have read the owner's manual in detail and followed instructions written therein. Just wanted to bring to attention, some of the specific instructions related to non-use maintenance (bike being off-road for more than 15 days) as given in owner's manual:

1. Empty the fuel from the fuel tank and (if fuel is left in for a longer time, the fuel will break and gummy substance could clog the carburettor (sic))
2. Spray oil on all unpainted metal surfaces to prevent rusting. Avoid getting oil on rubber parts or brake liners.
3. Remove battery and keep it on wooden plank, in properly ventilated area.

And storage use instructions:

1. Change the engine oil
2. Perform daily safety checks (inspection of bike, engine oil level, brake fluid, coolant etc.)

There is a reason owner's manual is published and first page says "Before you ride out, please read this Owner’s Manual carefully".

Source

Quote:
Which manual are you talking about ? Dominar's ? Its not there .
If you are referring the above lines from Dominar's manual - pls share the location / page no. please.
Please refer to page 35 of the manual from the link mentioned in source above.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 12th October 2018 at 16:41. Reason: Source Added
ksameer1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 16:38   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I am sure you would have read the owner's manual in detail and followed instructions written therein. Just wanted to bring to attention, some of the specific instructions related to non-use maintenance (bike being off-road for more than 15 days) as given in owner's manual:

1. Empty the fuel from the fuel tank and (if fuel is left in for a longer time, the fuel will break and gummy substance could clog the carburettor (sic))
2. Spray oil on all unpainted metal surfaces to prevent rusting. Avoid getting oil on rubber parts or brake liners.
3. Remove battery and keep it on wooden plank, in properly ventilated area.

Source
If you are referring the above lines from Dominar's manual - pls share the location / page no. please.

I have not read any other bike manuals .
100BHP is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 16:41   #28
BHPian

Quote:

I have not read any other bike manuals .
He has mentioned the source, kindly click on it.
Old 12th October 2018, 16:46   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
If you don't agree with me, maybe google can help?
I would rather trust the official guide of bike. Google has many non factual & hearsay opinions .
I am an automobile engineer & I can understand when something is wrong in the design.
I have analyzed the conditions of usage of my bike & my caring of it - whatever has happened has some issues which I need to check further.

I am not claiming any warranty - but I want useful info from Bajaj on reliability issues & service attitude . I don't want guesswork from anyone !

Bajaj is silent so far ! That's the bigger issue .
Old 12th October 2018, 16:46   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nothing makes sense ! Looks like a bucket load of deflection in each of your post & very shallow knowledge of machines
Honestly his post does make sense; and I'm not alone if you look at the likes and the absence of any post giving a similar response to yours.

Frankly, not sure what were you expecting when you started this thread. As mentioned by many (including yours truly), the service center response could be much better. However going by your posts, I'm now 100% not sure if they were just pointing the obvious or really as bad as you say they were. But I will still go by your words and hope the future experience(s) are better.

Hope you get the gist of most of the responses you have got here. As you said in an earlier post, you are not looking at warranty (which is clearly gone), so all you need is the necessary repair, whatever is possible.
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks