Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2018, 16:49   #31
BHPian

Re: My Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS : Rust, Reliability & Regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
He has mentioned the source, kindly click on it.
There is nothing mentioned like that mentioned in it. Please read & check too.
Old 12th October 2018, 16:53   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
Which manual are you talking about ? Dominar's ? Its not there .
If you are referring the above lines from Dominar's manual - pls share the location / page no. please.

I have not read any other bike manuals .
Quote:
Nothing makes sense ! Looks like a bucket load of deflection in each of your post & very shallow knowledge of machines

BTW : Can you share your bike experience & issues if any.
People here are trying to analyse the cause of problems that you have stated. Please refrain from making personal comments on their bike knowledge and 'experience' if your intent is to question general knowledge on the pretext of specifics not being quoted.

Its like questioning someone who says that eating oily food hampers health, by countering and asking them to state specific quantities of oil in food intake required to become unfit.While we empathize with you on the way the service team at Bajaj has responded, most posts here though sounding generic have reason to them, i.e., using bike regularly, not missing free services, storing bikes, etc.

Last edited by octane1002 : 12th October 2018 at 16:58.
octane1002 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 16:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:

Bajaj is silent so far ! That's the bigger issue .
What do you want them to say?
'Sorry Sir, it is our mistake that your fuel system went kaput as you were not riding your bike enough'

I do understand that Bajaj didn't provide you the support that you were expecting but on road assistance from a two wheeler brand is just not accomplishable.

Think of the number of two wheelers the company sells in a month, if even 1% of them go bad on a single day and require on road assistance, it will be so difficult for the company to handle the complaints!
Rshrey22 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 17:09   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Honestly his post does make sense; and I'm not alone if you look at the likes and the absence of any post giving a similar response to yours.

Frankly, not sure what were you expecting when you started this thread. As mentioned by many (including yours truly), the service center response could be much better. However going by your posts, I'm now 100% not sure if they were just pointing the obvious or really as bad as you say they were. But I will still go by your words and hope the future experience(s) are better.

Hope you get the gist of most of the responses you have got here. As you said in an earlier post, you are not looking at warranty (which is clearly gone), so all you need is the necessary repair, whatever is possible.
I welcome the opinions of all customers - whether they are of Bajaj or not .
Also welcome the same from existing bike owners or future planners.

But the gist is highly skewed with perceptions & low expectations. It does not change the fact of poor quality .

The purpose is to highlight that as a customer we all need a hassle free & customer oriented service systems, which truly is the need here .

Secondly, fuel system & rust are very bad design. It need to be checked. Tanks are made of anti corrosive material & treated with several coatings just to prevent this issue - Why are we accepting this phenomenon as normal in bikes - car lovers would never accept this fact .

Quote:
What do you want them to say?
'Sorry Sir, it is our mistake that your fuel system went kaput as you were not riding your bike enough'

I do understand that Bajaj didn't provide you the support that you were expecting but on road assistance from a two wheeler brand is just not accomplishable.

Think of the number of two wheelers the company sells in a month, if even 1% of them go bad on a single day and require on road assistance, it will be so difficult for the company to handle the complaints!
Yes to first part . Why my bike went kaput even though I have ridden it so less ?

I don't care if they sell millions - which century are you in buddy ? So you are saying that Bajaj is incompetent to do so because they are selling millions ? That's what I am saying. Bajaj will not agree with you though

I would love to hear from car lovers on incompetency of manufacturers to provide customer delight .

I am sorry in advance but I will not respond to your queries any further, they seems biased from post no. 1.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 13th October 2018 at 06:36. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use the multi-quote option (QUOTE +) while quoting and responding to multiple posts. Thanks.
Old 12th October 2018, 18:19   #35
BHPian

Quote:
My bike is not used regularly & had done only 650 odd kms since it is purchased.
Quote:
3. It was driven on off on weekends locally - no long rides - but regularly driven & fuel topped up as required
Contradicting statements. 650 odd kms in 21 months doesn't translate to bike being regularly driven.

Quote:
8. After working for a decade for Top automobile brands line Honda car as an engineer
Frankly, by your claims, you should have known better.

Quote:
Nothing makes sense ! Looks like a bucket load of deflection in each of your post & very shallow knowledge of machines
That's harsh on a person trying to answer your query & help you.
Karthik Chandra is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 18:34   #36
BHPian

With due respect Sir, I don't think you were prepared for posting this on an open forum which boasts of unbiased & rational thinking members. In each and every post of yours, you are just trying to defend what you feel and there is no sign of you even listening to members who are trying to put things into perspective and what's with "Car lovers" & "Tank builds" in almost every other post. Sir, give me a car which can do 650 kilometers in a span of 2 years and still behave as a normal run car.

At the end, bike is a machine and your's behaved exactly the way a machine should. It gave up on you because it was not looked after properly.
Engine_Roars is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 22:14   #37
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I can imagine a usage of 650 odd kms in 2 years. This can happen and for a bike kept parked in covered parking the failures should not have happened.

I imagine you possibly rode every week or two for 7-14kms on an average, and filled fuel once in 3 months. Not too harsh in my view.

That said this also not ideal.

On a side note my friend recently kept his 5K run RE 500 Thunderbird parked unused in the open during monsoon. Fuel pump needs replacement along with a lot of repainting all over the bike. Fuel pump alone costs Rs. 13,500 and is not in stock in Mumbai and Thane. The company also doesn't have stock of Chain and Sprocket set.

A bigger wrong doesn't make a right.
10k cost of repairs seems OK.
The Dominar should have been more robust. It appears unsuitable for your kind of usage. Sadly reliable non rusting options of a similar spec from the Japs cost about double or more.

Hope Bajaj repairs your bike soon and builds a better service network.

What many have stated to be the cause of failure in your bike (usage pattern) seems to be true. But shouldn't have been.
ACM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 22:54   #38
Team-BHP Support

Let me bring my own experience with Harley & Triumph, I picked 883-Low when Harley came in India, around August 2010 - it has First to Ride emblem, Direct Import from the USA and in all the 8 Years, it has done 2200 Km. I am 5-10 or so but little heavily built and never found the bike to my liking. Just bought due to all the fantasies associated with Harley as it was the cheapest and I had only that much money I dressed it up and spent too much on accessorising but still whenever I rode, I was not comfortable. Then in 2014, I picked Storm, though the bike is very good but due to some issues in my Right Leg (Torn Ligament) I am not comfortable with it due to the weight and have done less than 5000 km till now. Most of the times both bikes are parked in open, though covered with Tarpaulin and in shade. For multiple reasons, mostly my carelessness and/ or work-related travel, I am not able to even start the bike for months. Harley has been the worst sufferer as I have not ridden it for Years. I think I must have got both serviced every 2 Years on average. Recently in July 2018, Fuel Pump on my Harley ultimately gave up as it was probably the longest time that it was standing under a shed but for some reasons not covered and it rained very heavily. The fuel pump has a filter and I still feel had the Harley guys had done proper servicing in 2016, It would have not failed. Maybe cleaning fuel filter inside the tank is not in their regular service.

I have never cared to change Petrol of a parked bike or check how much petrol is left in the tank or emptied but if my Harley can withstand such limited usage for 7-8 Years, I am with OP on the poor quality of components in the Bajaj. 2 Years is too little for Fuel Pump to fail irrespective of usage. Ideally, they should cover this under warranty as they can always get the claim from their vendor and maybe also send such cases to their design to improve and make changes if required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhn View Post
Attaching a screenshot from the Dominar owner's manual. I'm not sure what more do you require. It clearly states the procedure to be followed when the bike is not used for more than 15 days.
Does Dominar has a Carburettor??

Quote:
This is where things get interesting! The company has nicely mentioned how its product needs to be stored when it's not in use for longer intervals.
Non-Use Maintenance- more than 15 Days - Seriously? Maybe RE should just publish this page in their Advertisements

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th October 2018 at 23:12.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 22:58   #39
BHPian

Quote:
There is nothing mentioned like that mentioned in it. Please read & check too.
Attaching a screenshot from the Dominar owner's manual. I'm not sure what more do you require. It clearly states the procedure to be followed when the bike is not used for more than 15 days. Details about the rusting issue are also mentioned. Hope this helps.

My Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS : Rust, Reliability & Regret-smartselect_20181012225143_adobe-acrobat.jpg
nikhn is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 23:10   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Attaching a screenshot from the Dominar owner's manual. I'm not sure what more do you require. It clearly states the procedure to be followed when the bike is not used for more than 15 days. Details about the rusting issue are also mentioned. Hope this helps.

Attachment 1807333
This is where things get interesting! The company has nicely mentioned how its product needs to be stored when it's not in use for longer intervals.

It's not about robustness of parts, when the company has cleanly stated how you have to store the bike when it's not in use. This is like a declaration in itself, that the parts won't function properly if the mentioned procedure is not followed.
Rshrey22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 23:26   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post

Does Dominar has a Carburettor??

Non-Use Maintenance- more than 15 Days - Seriously? Maybe RE should just publish this page in their Advertisements
What does Carburettor have to do with rusting issues?

Fuel and acids present in dirty oil will accelerate the rate of corrosion. Leaving dirty oil in the engine during long-term storage may accelerate engine corrosion leading to a premature engine rebuild.

A motorcycle stored with the fuel tank less than full exposes bare metal in the tank to potential corrosion.

This is for all bikes and cars. The period may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. How does that matter? We are not talking of 15 days or 1 month. It's 2 years.
nikhn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 23:37   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
What does Carburettor have to do with rusting issues?
I don't know, you guys have posted the service manual of Dominar that says Carburettor!

Please decide- Does this bike has a Carburettor that can get rusty after 15 days if instructions are not followed as per the bikes Manual or this Bike is without a Carburettor which can still get rusty if instructions are not followed

I am yet to see anything more foolish then such instructions to follow for a bike sitting for 15 Days. Really feel sorry for Bajaj and the guys patronising such thoughts.

Quote:
This is for all bikes and cars. The period may differ from manufacturer to manufacturer. How does that matter? We are not talking of 15 days or 1 month. It's 2 years.
I don't think OP bike was sitting unused for 2 Years, From where do you read this?

Last edited by Turbanator : 12th October 2018 at 23:50.
Turbanator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 23:54   #43
BHPian

I read this thread from the beginning. First of all, 21 months old motorcyle is not brand new. I believe dhakka starting the bike means, put it in second gear and push starting it. I don't know who is that brainy asked you to start the bike in that way which was not even completed it run in. I guess none of the motorcycle manufacturers provide road side assistance in India even the premium ones. None of the Dominor owners reported fuel pump failure and started motor failure atleast as far as I know and I read in net.

For any motor vehicle, first few thousand KMs are most important phase and we need to take utmost care and do the run in accordingly. I know few of my colleagues and friends who changed their engine oil right away after taking delivery if the vehicle is 6 months in stock.

One solution I can think for this problem is, Bajaj giving some discount as a goodwill to the parts since the bike is not ran that much.

With all these things told, I would expect Bajaj and its authorized service center show proper care and respect to their premium product and its customer who spent his hard earned money and time in buying it.

P.S. I don't even know why you bought a bike in first place if you are not using it. There are lot of rental companies renting motorcycles for good rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
With due respect Sir, I don't think you were prepared for posting this on an open forum which boasts of unbiased & rational thinking members.

At the end, bike is a machine and your's behaved exactly the way a machine should. It gave up on you because it was not looked after properly.
Exactly! I too felt the same. He don't want to listen to others and wants everyone to support him and bash Bajaj. In the other post, when someone tried to reason with him he is questioning that person's motorcycling experience?
hema4saran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 23:56   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I don't know, you guys have posted the service manual of Dominar that says Carburettor?

Please decide- Does this bike has a Carburettor that can get rusty after 15 days if instructions are not followed as per the bikes Manual or this Bike is without a Carburettor which can still get rusty if instructions are not followed

I am yet to see anything more foolish then such instructions to follow for a bike sitting for 15 Days. Really feel sorry for Bajaj and the guys patronising such thoughts.

I don't think OP bike was sitting unused for 2 Years? From where do you read this?
Looks like you're hung up on the errors part. This document is standard and used by most manufacturers (Even RE uses this). If you could move beyond that, we could have a valid/mature discussion.

Point I'm trying to make (again) is that a bike having Carburettor/FI system has no effect on the rusting issue mentioned here.

I never said it was sitting unused. I only highlighted that same fuel sitting in the tank for a long time or a partly filled tank can cause rusting problems.

BTW, if you read the page once again carefully, there are 2 stars after the 15 days which points to the battery maintenance a few paragraphs ahead. It's not for the entire process.

Last edited by nikhn : 13th October 2018 at 00:04. Reason: Correction. Additional information.
nikhn is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 00:10   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Looks like you're hung up on the errors part. This document is standard and used by most manufacturers (Even RE uses this).
I have never used that many smileys ever in my replies, wonder if I should laugh or

What standard? Is this some kind of ISO or JIS? I am not bothered about what RE or others publish, suggestions to do this and that to an imaginary equipment on the bike or otherwise if the same is not used beyond 15 days, tell me if you or anyone in your circle has followed this when you are away beyond 15 days. OP has admitted of not looking after his bike for 2 months of a 21-month-old bike and we are cursing him on why did he buy the bike and what not.

Anyways, I hope OP gets a fair redressal from Bajaj and we all (especially guys like me) come wiser from information on this thread. I for one will definitely be more careful with mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
I guess none of the motorcycle manufacturers provide road side assistance in India even the premium ones.
RSA is available with all premium brands including Triumph, Harley & BMW. Since it's mostly handled by the third parties, I see no reasons it should not be available on Bajaj or RE. It also comes included with certain insurance policies.

Quote:
I know few of my colleagues and friends who changed their engine oil right away after taking delivery if the vehicle is 6 months in stock.
Yes, but I have not heard anyone complaining about a failed fuel pump due to the wrong running-in or the missing services.
Quote:
One solution I can think for this problem is, Bajaj giving some discount as a goodwill to the parts since the bike is not ran that much
Yes, unless they agree to give a complete FOC replacement in the first place.

Last edited by GTO : 14th October 2018 at 08:40. Reason: typos
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks