Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2018, 16:22   #1
BHPian

My Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS : Rust, Reliability & Regret

My brand new (21 months old & 650 odd kms run in) Dominar 400 ABS went dud one fine day.

Whatever happened next is THE worst case & it is exact opposite to Trust we place in Indian automobile manufacturers. We TRUST them & give them a chance for their progress by buying into better tech products,whenever they enhance the scale of technology.

Below is the first mail I have sent to "Hamara Bajaj" & it outlines the faults in their product & customer service handling ...

"Dear Sir,

Greetings ! Thanks for giving me your valuable support & time. My request to Service team of Bajaj is as below :

Bike details : DL3SDPxxxx, REGN DATE : 5TH FEB 2017

My bike is not used regularly & had done only 650 odd kms since it is purchased. 45 days ago when I tried to start it – it didn’t start – lights & console were lit & horn was not working.

It was standing still for 2 months.

After repeated calls to your help line & subsequent calls to 3 dealers in NCR – I got the solution to Dhakka start the bike. I tried that too & also tried with new battery – but the issue was the same.

I live in Greater Noida & the local Bajaj service does not do Dominar service.

Again after call registration & following up on the twitter handle – I got a call from Suman Bajaj Noida but even they could not do the pick up. So I had to spend 2000 bucks to transfer my bike to Suman Bajaj Noida on 28th Sep.

The mechanic there listened for something & deduced that fuel pump & starter motor are dead and need to be changed. Supervisor also agreed without any further analysis.

Reason given No. 1 : Dominars not run regularly (??) have an issue of rust in petrol tank & damage in fuel pump & connected parts.
Reason given No. 2 : Advanced bikes from Bajaj stable don't have strong reliability in fuel related parts.

I mean, why do we bother about OBD readers & fuse check etc, Bajaj mechanics don’t need them to find issues. Since they don't have parts in the store – I was told to wait for 10 days.

After receiving the parts – they will open the bike parts & check & replace.

Questions :

1. If Fuel pump filter & petrol pump quality is such a poor case, then Bajaj should alert all buyers for recall & replacement FOC?
2. Why Bajaj is making FI bikes when their designs have issues?
3. It seems inline fuel filter is also having a design issue? It failed its purpose!
4. Service support as a whole is a big question mark for Dominar buyers? If NCR is having such issues – then what about other parts of India?
5. Approximate cost for repair was told to be around 10000 if parts need to be replaced – what about warranty? Are these parts not covered in warranty?
6. Who will assure the quality of work / repair? I have a huge doubt on the capability of the mechanic & don’t want my bike to become a guinea pig.

Today's status (11th Oct'18) - I have not heard from Bajaj & parts are also yet to arrive - from 28th Sep till date - Bajaj service in NCR has no required parts!

Now coming to Warranty Issues:

Bajaj observation:

As it is mentioned in the manual - page 39 : Availing of initial 3 free services without lapse.

I agree with them since I have done only 1 service - they can decide what action they need to take WRT the warranty - I didn't have any nearby service centre & I was fortunately very busy with other demands of life

My observations :

1. I could not observe any service point relating to the fuel system in the 1st three free services - how can warranty be void when the issue is fuel related & Bajaj assures that there is no need to check the fuel system as per their own checklist?
2. Bajaj claims that the issue happened because fuel was kept in the tank & bike was not run - try saying that to SUV owners or any other car owners. Is a Bajaj bike meant for illiterate persons?
3. Owner's manual page 20 & 23 : Always maintain minimum 3 litres petrol in petrol tank for smooth functioning of the fuel pump - Now Bajaj should make up its mind - what to follow? Now this is mentioned under Vehicle Parking Caution section. How BAD a product can be engineered?

Option 1 : To understand that warranty is void - please check the owners manual
Option 2 : To understand how we are fooling a premium bike customer - please check the owner manual again.

Final questions :
1. Go hyper riding : I mean why Bajaj had put a line in their TVC - the most critical component of the ride aka fuel pump can supposedly go kaput anytime.
And If you still dare to go hyper riding, tag a truck along - Bajaj does not provide any road side assistance or pick / drop service - that too in metros?

Will update the thread as I get some more info.

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2018 at 10:08. Reason: Poorly typed post
100BHP is offline   (16) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 11th October 2018, 17:20   #2
BHPian

re: My Bajaj Dominar 400 ABS : Rust, Reliability & Regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100BHP View Post
My brand new (21 months old & 650 odd kms run in) Dominar 400 ABS went dud one fine day.
I can quite understand the frustration at your ordeal..However, 21 months and 650 kms just doesn't sound healthy for any automotive equipment.It is an average of 30kms per month!Oils lose viscosity, lubes turn into hard gunk, tyres harden parked at the same spots, plastics turn brittle, fuel lines act up,tanks rust,etc.

To put things into perspective, 650 kms is just about a tankfull's equivalent of fuel having passed through the engine during the course of almost 2 years. Running in the engine consistently over the first few months of use is a healthy practice, rather than run it in small and incosistent patches spread over a long tenure.

While this is no excuse for the machine to fall apart, it certainly is a contributing factor.Machines need to be used and sporadic usage (a
long ride/drive followed by inactivity of prolonged periods) will certainly cause damage.I have learnt this the hard way through first hand experience.

Last edited by octane1002 : 11th October 2018 at 17:41.
octane1002 is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 17:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
I can quite understand the frustration at your ordeal..However, 21 months and 650 kms just doesn't sound healthy for any automotive equipment.It is an average of 30kms per month!Oils thicken, lubes turn into hard gunk, tyres harden parked at the same spots, plastics turn brittle, fuel lines act up,etc.

To put things into perspective, 650 kms is just about a tankfull's equivalent of fuel having passed through the engine durong the course of almost 2 years.

While this is no excuse for the machine to fall apart, it certainly is a contributing factor.Machines need to be used and sporadic usage (a
long ride/drive followed by inactivity of prolonged periods) will certainly cause damage.I have learnt this the hard way through first hand experience.
Even in 1998 when I used to test design the automobile parts, these things were understood and taken care of while designing & testing of parts.

20 years later, are we going backwards ? There are big innovations in resin, oils, manufacturing reliability & repeatability, rubber compounding .

I am sorry but when I buy a brand bike - I want to "Fill it, Shut it & forget it" - otherwise we should have stayed with horses & ponies .
100BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 17:47   #4
BHPian

Quote:
I am sorry but when I buy a brand bike - I want to "Fill it, Shut it & forget it" - otherwise we should have stayed with horses & ponies .
Well, unfortunately Toyota hasn't yet forayed into bikes and we'll have to live with that for the time being.

Jokes apart, given useage pattern you have reported, E-bikes would make sense (as and when the powerful one's are mass produced). They have far lesser moving parts and involve lesser application of fluid to make them run (i.e., no fuel,etc.) than the traditionally-fuelled engines.

Last edited by octane1002 : 11th October 2018 at 17:51.
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 17:58   #5
BHPian

Same petrol in the fuel tank resting for 21 months is a tragedy waiting to happen in itself. Although I don't know your reasons for buying the bike but you should have rather not bought it in the first place if your running was this low!

I won't blame Bajaj even a wee bit in this matter.
Rshrey22 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 18:16   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post
Same petrol in the fuel tank resting for 21 months is a tragedy waiting to happen in itself. Although I don't know your reasons for buying the bike but you should have rather not bought it in the first place if your running was this low!

Pls check again - its not same petrol for 21 months - bike was not used for 2 months only .
Old 11th October 2018, 18:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

Was your bike parked in the open or in a closed space. If the fuel components are defective, it should affect all dominars on road. So can't really blame the product, but yes the service center experience is really bad. That is where bajaj really need to work on, do keep us posted on the updates.
Maverick5490 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 18:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rshrey22 View Post

So if you fill your bike's petrol tank every time it becomes half empty, you always have the same petrol (at least half a tank full) in your bike. Why is that a problem? How is the petrol any different in this case i.e., petrol filled once and kept vs petrol filled often both of which ensures that you petrol tank is half full?
pjbiju is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 19:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
So if you fill your bike's petrol tank every time it becomes half empty, you always have the same petrol (at least half a tank full) in your bike. Why is that a problem? How is the petrol any different in this case i.e., petrol filled once and kept vs petrol filled often both of which ensures that you petrol tank is half full?
Automotive fuel being a highly refined product, once stored in the tank for prolonged periods leads to the fuel losing its volatility and combustibility over time. Also oxidation occurs.In short fuel quality deteriorates. Suppose the engine is running on 6 month old fuel, it will run, but not as efficiently as it would have on fresher refined fuel.
octane1002 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 19:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbiju View Post
How can you guarantee that every time only the new fuel will be consumed and the old one won't?
xD

Fuel mixes and thus both are consumed constantly and fill up after fill up, concentration of old fuel reduces!
Old 11th October 2018, 21:02   #11
BHPian

I think we need a few more details and some pictures. The one question I would really like answered is where the bike was parked. The number of kms on the odometer is really really low and this can lead to problems on modern bikes. To put it in perspective, I would have no qualms about parking a basic 2 stroke bike like the Yezdi/Shogun for a couple of years but would not feel right about doing this with a Dominar/KTM. Not that the newer ones are less reliable but because they have more complicated mechanicals (and electronics) than the old bikes.
The attitude of the service centre is amateurish and apathetic. Why would they suggest push starting the bike? I don't know who is to blame for this fiasco but one gets the feeling that Bajaj did as little as they could for a guy who bought their flagship product.
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 21:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

21 months old

650 odd kms run
^^This ... and your signature are quite ... Ironic!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th October 2018, 21:27   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to read about your ordeal. We always try to encourage and patronise Indian brands over the multinationals, but I believe we are doing the wrong thing in some cases. Not all Indian brands however have such teething troubles or niggling issues, are hidebound in their approach to customers and have arrogant after sales service set-ups. We are punishing ourselves by buying substandard products in a few cases, where such an archiac set-up fluorishes.

Your words " I have a huge doubt on the capability of mechanic & don’t want my bike to become a guinea pig " should also read as "gullible customers becoming guniea pigs for such new launches."

Most of the multinational automobile makers launch models after thoroughly subjecting them to arduous and gruelling tests, in all weather conditions. The products are well tested hence, qualitywise. But there are many instances where some our Indian brands have perfected a new launch progressively over the years by using their customers as guniea pigs (some fail to correct themselves and then the launch ultimately fails).

It's no wonder then that the top sellers, mostly multinationals are then rewarded for their quality.

It is quite surprising that the Dominar should have rusting issues with the petrol tank so soon - a trait inherited from the Pulsar and their other bikes ! And the supply of spares so much delayed for a premium bike, even in the NCR ! What will be the fate of buyers in less known cities and towns ?

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 11th October 2018 at 21:29.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 04:15   #14
BHPian

Unfortunately when you store a bike regardless of wherever you are, you need to make sure all the fluids are topped off and also fuel stabilizer is used when a motorbike is sitting for extended periods of time. Water can collect and cause issues. Especially if your starting up the bike with possibly residual fuel. Over time the ethanol in the fuel can absorb water. Even a 40K Ducati can not deal with that.

Also motorbike components are not designed as heavily compared to the automotive sector although its getting better.
Bhatman510 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2018, 04:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

A few questions / pointers -

1. I believe the first three service intervals are at 45 days / 8 months / 1 year; with a rough expectation that you will cross the run-in period of 2000 kms within the first few months.

2. As rightly mentioned by others; the condition in which the bike has been parked; the exposure to natural elements; details, photos will be helpful

3. What was the usage of those 650 kms> in one set or spread across the 21 months; in city traffic or on highways

I would agree with a lot of the points @octane1002 mentioned; very low usage; run-in not completed; plus the basic servicings not done - you have made the ideal situation for the bike to fail.

On a side note, there was a case of a VW Vento with very similar situation; nearly 3 years of ownership; only one servicing done; extremely low usage - and then the car was not functioning at all. Similar to you, the OP on that thread was blaming Volkswagen, the dealership in question and what not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane1002 View Post
I can quite understand the frustration at your ordeal..However, 21 months and 650 kms just doesn't sound healthy for any automotive equipment.It is an average of 30kms per month!Oils lose viscosity, lubes turn into hard gunk, tyres harden parked at the same spots, plastics turn brittle, fuel lines act up,tanks rust,etc.
What's not helping is how the service center is responding to your bike and the poor response/support received so far; but I would probably say you are on very feeble grounds courtesy your past actions wrt the bike's ownership.

Hope the problem is resolved with minimal trouble.
ninjatalli is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks