Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2019, 22:33   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My 2018 Honda CBR 250R

I have used the shell advance ultra for 8k kms one time, and that oil is no longer an oil beyond 6k kms unfortunately. It definitely does not count as a touring oil. For street and general purpose use, its better than the rest to some extent.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th September 2019, 23:35   #62
BHPian

Many Many Apologies for not updating this thread since March.
Work kept me busy. No mobiles and no tbhp access.

Anyhow, the good news is that now tbhp is accessible, hooray!!

Also, the CBR has accomplished 14,000 kms...!

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-img20190813wa0001.jpg

The above image is when she rode to Kolad on the broken Mumbai Goa Highway. Look what the rains did to her.

Last, I had updated about the engine oil, and YES! The cause for over-heating and engine knocking was improper oil change. So, I visited the newly opened Shell petrol pump, Airoli and changed oil to Shell Advance Ultra. The oil was changed in a very professional manner and I was really happy with it. It was some 7500- 8000 kms when I did that and post swapping to Shell, the CBR acted like a happy puppy.

She completed her 3rd service at 11,800 kms and since then she’s running on the Honda’s stock oil. With some knowledge now, I am aware that the oil will only last till she dashes the 15k mark, which will undoubtedly happen very soon with my running. So, this time I am already prepared with the Motul 7100 and enthusiasm. The wait will perhaps go on till the next weekend. I have also found a dependable mechanic nearby who can do it in a proper means.

So that was for the oil update.

The bike now runs impressively and here are the figures.
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-screenshot_20190926225545.jpg

The aux lights that I had passed on from the Benelli gave up last month. They started flickering and also were disturbing the bike's electronics. My tachometer would start dancing to the flickering of the lights when turned ON. So swiftly made the change and put on a set of new lights. I require the aux lights as half my ride occurs post sundown. But I am not very pleased with the new ones as they are not so bright and do not light up enough distance. I am still looking for some economical aux lights which I can get for around Rs 5000 - 7000.
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-light-off.jpg
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-lights-.jpg

Also, here is a new helmet!
The MT Revenge GP Edition.

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-helmet-gp.jpg
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-helmet.jpg
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-bike-helmet.jpg

A wonderful helmet by looks and function. It’s very sleek and lets in very less air noise even at highway speeds. I have also got a PINLOCK insert and it really works perfectly, at no time even during heavy showers did my visor fog up. Absolutely worth the investment!

For next, I desire a suitable helmet communication system, probably a Sena. Not sure of investing a hefty amount in it.
And a nice set of aux lights.

Once these are done, I think it would be the time for tyre change.
iamahunter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th September 2019, 15:24   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Also, here is a new helmet!
The MT Revenge GP Edition.
Hi,
How much did you pay for MT Revenge GP Edition. Also would like to know if you got it from Airoli or somewhere else. If possible can you share store details as even I'm planning to get one for myself.
Old 1st October 2019, 12:54   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arfaat_46 View Post
Hi,
How much did you pay for MT Revenge GP Edition.
Hi, I picked up the helmet in at a discounted rate, thanks to the sale at the store.

Quote:
Also would like to know if you got it from Airoli or somewhere else. If possible can you share store details as even I'm planning to get one for myself.
Yes, I got it from Airoli, WroomStore.
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 19:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

One word of caution, don't stretch the oil too much beyond 3 or 3.5k. The oil replaced at timely interval, the better for the engine. Your bike will start giving signs of roughness, high temperature, and buzziness throughout which means it's time to replace the engine oil. I see, after the Shell replacement, again the oil was replaced to Honda and clocked closed to 2.5k approx.

Try replacing your engine oil at 3.5, along with your oil filter.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 12:55   #66
Senior - BHPian

CBR had been my dream bike for long, but never got a chance to ride one until few days ago. Must admit I am smitten by its looks ( Yes even after being old ), handling, comfort and braking ( ABS ).

The only other bike I have ridden above CBR is Duke 390.
CBR can be the only bike in garage, I feel its so versatile.

I hope Honda does bring in other improvements with BS6 variant.
Love your pictures
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 20:25   #67
BHPian

Update :

CBR has crossed 19,000 kms last week. Had planned for a service at 20k kms but sadly the chain slider completely came off. The bike was making scary noises. So decided to give it for service at Venetian Honda, Kandivali East.
  • The chain was on its last setting and was changed.
  • Both break pads replaced.
  • Engine head had some oil leak; gasket replaced.

Here's the screenshot of the bill.
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-bike-bill.jpg

Loot Fact:
When I gave the bike for service, both the front forks were clean. After dropping the bike, I received a call from the mechanic that the left fork's oil seal is damaged and the suspension rod has scratches. And would need a replacement.
I was surprised at this. I asked for a photo of the same. On receiving the image, saw that the mechanic had already removed the front suspension and had also used sand-paper on it. I denied the replacement as I was sure that the suspension did not have any oil leaks.
But; as expected, on driving it for around 10 kms post delivery, the oil started to spill from the front fork.

The mechanic/service center has done the damage.

Last edited by iamahunter : 14th February 2020 at 20:26.
iamahunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2020, 02:14   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
One word of caution, don't stretch the oil too much beyond 3 or 3.5k. The oil replaced at timely interval, the better for the engine. Your bike will start giving signs of roughness, high temperature, and buzziness throughout which means it's time to replace the engine oil
With Shell 10W40, not really; it means, oil needs to be topped up. That damn bad ass engine oil withstands like 8000 Km if topped up at 3.5K & for every 1.5K
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2020, 13:16   #69
Senior - BHPian

Lovely pictures; congrats for the bike and thanks for the regular updates.

I own 2011 model CBR 250 and I agree with your review.

Can you share details of the mobile holder and aux lights you using and where/ how you have mounted them?

I do not find a way to mount the regular mobile holders on the clip on. I also need to get good aux lights that do not put strain on the battery and can be easily mounted. Any guidance would be of great help.
Old 9th June 2020, 22:00   #70

Hi, been reading cbr 250 forums and am pretty wound up to buy a used one. My issue is I haven't ridden a bike since 1994. Have been looking at classifieds and apparently lots are available at reasonable prices, need some expert advice

1. Is it still relevant to buy a cbr 250 and will parts availability for the next couple of years will be an issue.

2. I am 6'4" and 53 years , so will this bike be good for my height.

3. Instead of buying lets say a 2017 abs with 25k odo for 80-90k , I was thinking about buying a 2011/12 abs model for around 30-40K, and maybe spend 5-10k to bring it to good condition for a couple year trouble free riding.

So what do expert's say?
Ageing Stud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 09:51   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageing Stud View Post
Hi, been reading cbr 250 forums and am pretty wound up to buy a used one. My issue is I haven't ridden a bike since 1994. Have been looking at classifieds and apparently lots are available at reasonable prices, need some expert advice

1. Is it still relevant to buy a cbr 250 and will parts availability for the next couple of years will be an issue.

3. Instead of buying lets say a 2017 abs with 25k odo for 80-90k , I was thinking about buying a 2011/12 abs model for around 30-40K, and maybe spend 5-10k to bring it to good condition for a couple year trouble free riding.

So what do expert's say?
0. Not an expert. Just an ex owner. Had picked a 2011 cbr for 65k, restored it. Rode 25k kms on long trips & sold it last year to upgrade.
1. In Mumbai ? You should be able to get all service parts. Body panels may take some time but you will get them.
2. In 1994, we had mostly commuter bikes so you may find the CBR position to be committed specially in traffic & bad roads. Also for your height, you will find most sports bikes cramped. Take a longish TD to decide.
3. The 2011-12 models are equally good but have the Achilles heel of the lock assembly which is very expensive. Honda localised it later for cost reduction but it doesn't fit old models . Also a bike that old may not have both original keys compounding the problem. Also you should budget around 10-12k over 6 months to get the bike restored in good condition. Just check the used bike price thread on Tbhp & you will find a decent good post on pre owned CBR expenses.
Plus you need to factor in new tyres at around 13k per set. So if you get a bike at 60k, you need another 25k.
Cheers!
shaikhmimran is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:01   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ageing Stud View Post

?
1. You have many other options now but I feel the CBR250, especially the ABS version is still pretty relevant. I may be biased as I own one and am pretty happy with it having ridden most of the bikes from 150-650 cc categories

To be very frank, parts are troublesome at times. I serviced my 2012 CBR250 in February this year and the spark plug cap broke loose due to age. It took me 20+ days to finally procure it after calling atleast 20-30 Honda service centers in Mumbai. Most other parts such as brake pads, cables, filters, chain sets, tensioners, fork seals are not so much of a problem and I stock them up in advance anyway since I intend to keep this baby for long.

2. I'm 5:10 and sometimes I feel a little cramped for leg space on long rides due to a slightly acute knee angle. It may be worse for you at 6:4, please take a good test ride and decide

3 Please get a later model if you can for the reasons already explained by shaikhmimran below. My lock assembly is already fidgety and I'm worried huge cost is right around the corner. Once on a long ride, by bike refused to power up after a break and I was in a state of panic. Turns out the lock assembly had something loose and after some trial and error we were able to get it secure with tie clips. Since then, I've overhauled the lock system but there's always this fear that it may give up anytime, especially while on a long ride.

Also, it is difficult to overhaul a 8 year old CBR250 in 5-10 k, though not saying it's impossible. It really depends on what you get eventually and how good are the internals.

My usual annual service cost (bi annual services) with some preventive replacements easily reach 8-10k and that doesn't include major replacements for tyres, brake pads and chain set.

Whichever you get, I'd advise look for ABS one. Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
3. The 2011-12 models are equally good but have the Achilles heel of the lock assembly which is very expensive. Honda localised it later for cost reduction but it doesn't fit old models .
Bingo, I wish I'd known about this issue before I took the plunge to buy CBR of that vintage. I have both the keys but somehow I lost the confidence in my lock set and if it acts up once more, I'll buy a new one to be safe. I dread at a power loss on one of those highway runs.

What did you upgrade to ? I've ridden Kawasaki 650s quite a bit and while they are fantastic and a good upgrade from 250, but I reckon they may get slightly monotonous after a year or so.
camitesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 13:21   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
What did you upgrade to ? I've ridden Kawasaki 650s quite a bit and while they are fantastic and a good upgrade from 250, but I reckon they may get slightly monotonous after a year or so.
A bigger CBR the CBR 650F. I like to do long rides so usable power, rideability , service network & maintenance costs were of Paramount importance over heart in the mouth acceleration which is also hindered by my limited skills. The in-line melody sealed the deal. In retrospect, going from the 250 to the 650 has been perhaps a very natural choice for many current CBR owners.
shaikhmimran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2020, 15:49   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaikhmimran View Post
0. Not an expert. Just an ex owner. Had picked a 2011 cbr for 65k, restored it. Rode 25k kms on long trips & sold it last year to upgrade.
1. In Mumbai ? You should be able to get all service parts. Body panels may take some time but you will get them.
2. In 1994, we had mostly commuter bikes so you may find the CBR position to be committed specially in traffic & bad roads. Also for your height, you will find most sports bikes cramped. Take a longish TD to decide.
3. The 2011-12 models are equally good but have the Achilles heel of the lock assembly which is very expensive. Honda localised it later for cost reduction but it doesn't fit old models . Also a bike that old may not have both original keys compounding the problem. Also you should budget around 10-12k over 6 months to get the bike restored in good condition. Just check the used bike price thread on Tbhp & you will find a decent good post on pre owned CBR expenses.
Plus you need to factor in new tyres at around 13k per set. So if you get a bike at 60k, you need another 25k.
Cheers!
Thanks for the advice. Will look for 2013 onwards cos of lock assembly.
The only bike i ever rode was Hero Honda Sleek from 1992 till april 1994 and I remember I did close to 60k in that period.
Old 11th June 2020, 15:59   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
1. You have many other options now but I feel the CBR250, especially the ABS version is still pretty relevant. I may be biased as I own one and am pretty happy with it having ridden most of the bikes from 150-650 cc categories

To be very frank, parts are troublesome at times. I serviced my 2012 CBR250 in February this year and the spark plug cap broke loose due to age. It took me 20+ days to finally procure it after calling atleast 20-30 Honda service centers in Mumbai. Most other parts such as brake pads, cables, filters, chain sets, tensioners, fork seals are not so much of a problem and I stock them up in advance anyway since I intend to keep this baby for long.

2. I'm 5:10 and sometimes I feel a little cramped for leg space on long rides due to a slightly acute knee angle.

3 Please get a later model if you can for the reasons already explained by shaikhmimran below.

My usual annual service cost (bi annual services) with some preventive replacements easily reach 8-10k and that doesn't include major replacements for tyres, brake pads and chain set.

Whichever you get, I'd advise look for ABS one. Good luck
Thanks for your advice.
I don't think riding position will matter much considering I will be riding it next to nothing.
Don't want to spend much money for multiple reasons, no practical use apart from maybe a few hundred kms per year usage, resale value will be practically zero in an year or so if parts availability is further reduced.
Not considering 2011-12 model now cos of the lock assembly.
Already prices are taking a tumble. A used 2017 abs version ASS maintained with full service record and 20k on the odo is available in 80-90k range.
But hoping to source a 2013+ model in 40k, let's see.
Ageing Stud is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks