Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 12:51   #91
BHPian

Re: My 2018 Honda CBR 250R

Almost 3 years and the bike is still going strong at 22K kms.

Its time for the CBR to get new shoes, she's still on the stock Contis. I had planned to change the Contis earlier, but most of my use was in the city the Contis seemed to do the job just fine.

The current condition of the Conti:
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-cbr-tyre.png
I know its really bad, thanks to the lockdown the bike was just standing for most of the last year. The last full tank was done in Feb 2021, and is still at 3/4th.

Now, I've inherited my father's Honda Unicorn which I plan to use for office (whenever it starts) and daily run-abouts.
This leaves the CBR for only highway and weekend pleasure rides. Due to this new job profile now open, my mind and heart is in the middle of an argument. Replace the CBR with a highway tourer. There is no concrete decision yet, but I am trying to keep the CBR for another year.

So I would need to replace the tires on the CBR anyways. In such condition, what should I do, which tires should I go in for? I am not sure if I should be investing too much into it with the Pirellis or equivalent.

Guidance please.

A few images of the weekend ride after a long time.

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-1.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-2.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-3.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-4.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-5.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-6.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-8.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-9.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-10.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-12.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-vandri-ride-16.jpg
iamahunter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 14:35   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Its time for the CBR to get new shoes, she's still on the stock Contis. I had planned to change the Contis earlier, but most of my use was in the city the Contis seemed to do the job just fine.

The current condition of the Conti:
Attachment 2191206
I know its really bad, thanks to the lockdown the bike was just standing for most of the last year. The last full tank was done in Feb 2021, and is still at 3/4th.
Those Continental Contigos need to go ASAP! You might still have options such as the Michelin Pilot Street and so on, but I saw some feedback in one of our Kerala biking groups that it doesnt have the same quality as before. Issues like early wear and low life seem to be commonplace.

The Apollo Alpha H1s are getting good feedback these days. Check for availability and they should be an good option.
neil.jericho is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th August 2021, 23:46   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Those Continental Contigos need to go ASAP!

The Apollo Alpha H1s are getting good feedback these days. Check for availability and they should be an good option.
Quote:
Gone are the Contigos and in are the Apollo Alpha H1s.

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-bike.jpg
P.S. - The photo is still with the old tyres on, haven't taken the pic with new tyres yet.

Costed me 10.8k with fitting. Both tyres freshly manufactured in the 12th and 18th week of 2021 respectively.

Front - 110/70 R17
Read - 150/60 R17

Rear tyre was an upsize as 140 tyres were not available. However, the Apollo H1 has a rounder profile and did not look as wide as the stock Contigos. Grip level felt better, as I rode back in Mumbai rains. But that can be due to the change in rubber.

I felt that the bike was eager to lean with these tyres, but can't completely be clear about it, would need a longer ride.

Only rode from the shop to home on the new shoes, so will update on the feedback in the coming days.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th August 2021 at 14:33. Reason: As requested
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th August 2021, 13:04   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Front - 117/70 R17
It think it was a typo of 117 instead of 110
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2021, 02:47   #95
BHPian

After the long quarantine of almost 8 months, the CBR250 was cold. It refused to start, no crank. The battery was dead and the rear was flat, so no push start.

The stock Contigo were at the end of their life at 22k kms and 2 years 10 months. They have served me well with a few scars (4 punctures).

It was time for the overhaul of my CBR250R.
  • New Shoes - Apollo Alpha H1 (front and rear) = 10,800 (including fitting)
  • Motul 7100 engine oil + oil filter + Air filter
  • Front fork-seals replacement (both were busted)
  • Chain clean and lube.

Then came the ride, a quick one over the weekend to a near by hill-station, Mahabaleshwar again (its almost become my 2nd home now).

As I had hardly driven about 5-10 kms after the oil change, the effect was hardly noticeable. However, when I hit the highway, the bike came into its own. The Apollo inspired confidence like never before on my CBR, grip levels were too good.
I am mighty impressed, now this can be because of 2 reasons apart from that the tyres are really good.
  1. I am on fresh tyres after 3 years, so the new rubber is blowing my mind or ;
  2. The Apollos are already better than the stock contigo, so comparatively I am getting better grip.
Either ways, the Alpha H1's did let me corner like never before. Now I am not the person who does corner carving like a pro, but these ones actually pushed me to push my boundaries. The rounder profile aids further for better grip on corners.

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-cornering.jpg
Leaning so much for the First time.
Also notice the tyre profile is quite round.

The most fun was once the new changed components were set in, it was while returning. The bike was running so smooth at highway speeds I thoroughly enjoyed it. There was absolutely no buzz on those speeds like I had before.

Also the wobble issue at speeds between 70-80 is now no more, it was the the issue with stock tyre.

I am super-happy with the bike.

A few snaps from the ride.

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8535.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8536.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8540.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8546.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8564_e20210901.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8565_e20210830.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8578_e20210901.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8620_e20210830.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8627.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8628.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8629.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8631.jpg

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-_mg_8642.jpg
iamahunter is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 17:34   #96
BHPian

Quote:
[*] New Shoes - Apollo Alpha H1 (front and rear) = 10,800 (including fitting)

The Apollo inspired confidence like never before on my CBR, grip levels were too good.
I am mighty impressed, now this can be because of 2 reasons apart from that the tyres are really good.

I am on fresh tyres after 3 years, so the new rubber is blowing my mind or ;
[*]The Apollos are already better than the stock contigo, so comparatively I am getting better grip.

Either ways, the Alpha H1's did let me corner like never before. Now I am not the person who does corner carving like a pro, but these ones actually pushed me to push my boundaries. The rounder profile aids further for better grip on corners.
Hello,
I have always believed that we should stick to the stock size for tyres. Can you tell me if you had any noticeable difference in the below 3 areas ?

1. Drop in initial acceleration
2. Drop in fuel efficiency
3. Reduction in ground clearance (Since it is 60 and not 70, it means it is probably 10 mm flatter/shorter than the stock size. Meaning the bike moves 10 mm closer to the roads)

My tyres have plenty of treat on them but just for my knowledger, wanted to know. Because if there is absolutely no difference in those 3 points, might as well consider it in future when I change the tyres.

PS - Where do you get your bike serviced ? you must be from western line in Mumbai na ? Any good experience with ASC apart from Venetian Honda in Kandivali West ?
Ratan Prabhu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 18:07   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
Hello,
I have always believed that we should stick to the stock size for tyres. Can you tell me if you had any noticeable difference in the below 3 areas ?

1. Drop in initial acceleration
2. Drop in fuel efficiency
3. Reduction in ground clearance (Since it is 60 and not 70, it means it is probably 10 mm flatter/shorter than the stock size. Meaning the bike moves 10 mm closer to the roads)
Answers according to the question numbers.
  1. No really a 0-60 guy, so no difference noted/observed.
  2. Nope, its hovering around 30-32 as usual.
  3. Here we need to add a couple of things.
    • a. 60 or 70 indicates the aspect ratio (or height) of the tyre, this is represented as a percentage of the width of the tyre.(so the 10mm close is out of question)
    • b. So the increase in width has somewhat compensated for it.
    • c. However, the continental had a more flat profile as compared to the H1 which are visibly round.

So, the difference in the department of mileage, acceleration, top speed are not very different. But where the difference is how the bike runs, its a whole new story. If you do plan to go for the Alpha's do not hesitate, they are simply amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratan Prabhu View Post
PS - Where do you get your bike serviced ? you must be from western line in Mumbai na ? Any good experience with ASC apart from Venetian Honda in Kandivali West ?
So I don't really have a fixed mechanic for the CBR, but I take help of the local available mechanics and overlook every single thing. The raw material is brought by me and they only have to make the change. At times, the correct tools have also been provided by me.

Venetian Honda, err not really recommended. Earlier, there was one good mechanic, but he's moved to the Big Wing department now.

Last edited by iamahunter : 6th December 2021 at 18:09.
iamahunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 20:24   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Answers according to the question numbers.
  1. No really a 0-60 guy, so no difference noted/observed.
  2. Nope, its hovering around 30-32 as usual.
  3. Here we need to add a couple of things.
    • a. 60 or 70 indicates the aspect ratio (or height) of the tyre, this is represented as a percentage of the width of the tyre.(so the 10mm close is out of question)
    • b. So the increase in width has somewhat compensated for it.
    • c. However, the continental had a more flat profile as compared to the H1 which are visibly round.

So, the difference in the department of mileage, acceleration, top speed are not very different. But where the difference is how the bike runs, its a whole new story. If you do plan to go for the Alpha's do not hesitate, they are simply amazing.

So I don't really have a fixed mechanic for the CBR, but I take help of the local available mechanics and overlook every single thing. The raw material is brought by me and they only have to make the change. At times, the correct tools have also been provided by me.

Venetian Honda, err not really recommended. Earlier, there was one good mechanic, but he's moved to the Big Wing department now.
Thanks for the responses and ignore my typos in the previous post.
Actually, since last 2 years, Venetian Honda service center has Sameer Shaikh as the CBR mechanic. He was previously in Om Sai Honda. Have always had good experience with him since 2012. I asked about better ASC as small but slow moving parts like Oil seal and Mechanical seal arent available and not even getting ordered by them. So was wondering if there is any other service center in Mumbai which still takes the CBR seriously after a decade and has plenty of spares available.

And yes, will keep in mind about the H1 when it change my tyre in future.

Thank you again.
Old 17th December 2021, 10:59   #99
BHPian

With a very heavy heart, here's the ad on the classifieds.

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...or-sale/67353/
iamahunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 16:29   #100
BHPian

May I ask which ADV you are upgrading to or have in your potential list? It’s always interesting to see what a fellow CBR250 rider has in mind for an upgrade after this versatile little bike.

I know you have a commuter for city roundabouts but IMO you may consider retaining the CBR250 (unless you get your desired sale price or more) alongside your ADV as some other forum members did too. I have three other commuters including a very fun Aprilia150 in my garage, but I end up riding CBR250 more often than not in city too, especially after a recent handlebar riser mod. The upkeep may be slightly tricky but yours is fairly new CBR so should be easily manageable for next few years with minimal effort as compared to by decade old CBR250.

Wish you the best for new ADV and the sale if you go through with it.
Old 17th December 2021, 18:01   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
May I ask which ADV you are upgrading to or have in your potential list? It’s always interesting to see what a fellow CBR250 rider has in mind for an upgrade after this versatile little bike.

I know you have a commuter for city roundabouts but IMO you may consider retaining the CBR250 (unless you get your desired sale price or more) alongside your ADV as some other forum members did too. I have three other commuters including a very fun Aprilia150 in my garage, but I end up riding CBR250 more often than not in city too, especially after a recent handlebar riser mod. The upkeep may be slightly tricky but yours is fairly new CBR so should be easily manageable for next few years with minimal effort as compared to by decade old CBR250.

Wish you the best for new ADV and the sale if you go through with it.

Thankyou buddy.

I am still half hearted about selling the CBR. This is one of the most versatile, zero(almost) maintenance and the smoothest single cylinder 4 stroke motorcycle. The biggest advantage along the smooth engine is the brilliant 6 speed transmission. Its absolutely joy to ride this on the highways. Achieving and maintaining the highway speeds is totally effortless. At the same time, it can do the duty of taking me to the office and back without creating any drama.

The upkeeping of the CBR is no pain atall, the spares are easily available and its not complicated with electronics and other stuff.

The next adv, I am yet to finalize. The options in the market are very confusing - CB500X, Versys 650, Tiger 660. I am surely going for a twin, but yet to finalize one.
iamahunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 18:15   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am still half hearted about selling the CBR
Then please - DO NOT SELL!! It's certainly a keeper. Even if you let it accumulate dust in your garage (or at corner of your compound), all it asks is a health check after which its ready to munch miles for you.

I don't know if KTM, Triumph, Yamaha, Kawasaki are this reliable, but you've a C250R & I know for sure it shoots like a gun, not just made Just don't lose it. The pro-link suspension alone is to die for!! Such a great piece of engineering at affordable price when it was launched.

Unlike my boring red, you're having a ravishingly gorgeous looking one, please don't lose it. Just let her be around the corner & use it for errands.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 18:55   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Thankyou buddy.

I am still half hearted about selling the CBR. This is one of the most versatile, zero(almost) maintenance and the smoothest single cylinder 4 stroke motorcycle. The biggest advantage along the smooth engine is the brilliant 6 speed transmission. Its absolutely joy to ride this on the highways. Achieving and maintaining the highway speeds is totally effortless. At the same time, it can do the duty of taking me to the office and back without creating any drama.

The upkeeping of the CBR is no pain atall, the spares are easily available and its not complicated with electronics and other stuff.

The next adv, I am yet to finalize. The options in the market are very confusing - CB500X, Versys 650, Tiger 660. I am surely going for a twin, but yet to finalize one.
CBR 250 R is a keeper - do not let go of it. It's just the perfect lightweight (after a fashion) bike with many technical innovations thrown in, some of which were revolutionary and path-breaking for a bike of this class back then. Upon its launch it was, and remains to this day miles ahead of its counterparts. One of the smoothest single cylinders that can munch great distances for breakfast, lunch and dinner without breaking a sweat, CBR even today is a joy to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Unlike my boring red, you're having a ravishingly gorgeous looking one, please don't lose it. Just let her be around the corner & use it for errands.
IMO red was the most iconic colour that CBR 250R was ever launched in. Graceful and elegant with clean lines, this was reminiscent of its elder sibling - the powerful, purposeful VFR1200, something that has a cult following of its own !

My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-20211217_183603collage.jpg

Cheers !

(Photograph Courtesy : Respective owners , Internet)
Ironhide is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 12:19   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camitesh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Then please - DO NOT SELL!! It's certainly a keeper. Even if you let it accumulate dust in your garage (or at corner of your compound), all it asks is a health check after which its ready to munch miles for you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
CBR 250 R is a keeper - do not let go of it. It's just the perfect lightweight (after a fashion) bike with many technical innovations thrown in, some of which were revolutionary and path-breaking for a bike of this class back then.
The ADV is here!

The Kawasaki Versys 650!
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-versys.jpg

So, why the Versys? - This is why! (Honda CB500X launched at Rs. 6.87 lakh)

CBR is still here, would probably be with me for some time.
I do not wish to sell it, but eventually will have to given the limited parking space available.

For now, both the Japanese siblings are enjoying each other's company!
My 2018 Honda CBR 250R-japtwins_e.jpg

Last edited by iamahunter : 10th February 2022 at 12:20.
iamahunter is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th February 2022, 13:42   #105
Senior - BHPian

Congratulation boss & welcome to the sensible choice club

Quote:
CBR is still here, would probably be with me for some time
I do not wish to sell it, but eventually will have to given the limited parking space available.
When I got the Inty home, I wanted to keep C250R, but Wife adviced to keep it for 6-8 months & if I don't use it much, she asked me to dispose. I was of the opinion that no matter what C250R stays!! Period!!

This morning Son said - POWER CORRUPTS!!
Why?
School pickup & drop - Interceptor
Visit friends - Interceptor
Going to Temple - Interceptor
Visiting relatives - Interceptor
Attend occasions - Interceptor
Stress bursting - Interceptor
Happy rides - Interceptor
Mood swings - Interceptor

Where does C250R stand? Only when I pity that its gathering dust & just to clean it up for hardly some 4-5 Km. A week? A month? Very difficult to say as the ODO is hardly moving & the fuel bar is hardly blinking. That sparing usage. Now probably C250R feels how my Rx felt 11 years ago

For sure Power Corrupts!!

BTW, a fantastic post here, commenting on YouTubers & media reviews, is 100%, unadulterated, honest, straight out of heart & pure truth!!

Before I bought Interceptor YT & media said Interceptor weighs a lot, difficult to ride in traffic, bad ergonomics blah blah!!

But we're human with the unimaginable power of imagination + adaptation that got us to where we're today.

And thus I now find, Interceptor, although not like a Jap engineering, it's certainly comfortable & most importantly fun, which is why 20% people like us are riders despite the 80% ballooning the risk.

Anyway, congratulations once again & looking forward to hear new stories on your new found happiness sir
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks