Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2018, 14:53   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BMW G310R owner shares first (atrocious) service bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I think this sums up my opinion perfectly: its-okay-if-it-doesnt-make-sense-to-you
But these maintenance prices may-not-be-ok-for-someone-contemplating-a-purchase, right?

So they're-probably-grateful-that-this-was-pointed-out in the form of this thread.
am1m is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 16:07   #17
BHPian

Since I have been riding BMW bikes for little short of 2 decades, when the whole BMW-TVS separate branding blah blah started, the first question I asked on this forum and in few other places was the "Service costs" for these lesser expensive bikes. Because knowing the way BMW labor charges are fixed from Germany for worldwide customers (irrespective of any country having higher or lower labor costs, rental and other operating costs) I was not sure if they will have a separate costing for the small bikes.

At these charges the 30 or 40k km 'major' service costs will go thru the roof!!
Anyways there are always good street smart mechanics who can service these bikes. But I am not sure with newer bikes if they can reset the Service Reminder etc without the BMW Service tool.

Anyways, BMW...Bring More Wallet!
Haroon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 18:16   #18
Team-BHP Support

Totally nuts! It is a frigging bike at the end of the day, even other brands try to rip you off at service but THIS is atrocious. Like others mentioned whole chain clean and lube won't cost 1000 bucks these days and that can be used at least 6-8 times, even if you are dripping the chain in oil!

If they believe in selling in volumes, they need to attend to this asap. Otherwise it would be very good for pre-owned buyers at the cost of original owners

ps: Chain cleaning is one of the basic and first steps one should learn, if you are into motorcycling, since this is needed every 700-1000 kms.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 19:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

This is just butchery. 10,000 Rs approx service charge for a puny little 300 cc bike just because it has the Blue propeller on it is just not done. Also, their chain is nothing special and no specific technique is used in its cleaning and lubrication.
I must tell everyone to stop paying ridiculous charges to the Service Center for chain clean and lubrication. It is a straight forward process and if any one needs assistance in it can drop me a pm or ask here and I would gladly assist. As a matter of routine every 500/700 kms or after a long multi day tour.
Also, at the most its the air/oil filter and engine oil that needs change on a periodic basis. Everything else is just plain extra unless you have covered significant saddle hours and I mean significant. Not just 5, 7 or 10000 kms.
Thats when things like tyres,pads, fluids etc come into picture.
I am shocked what these dealers are charging and what the people are paying for 2 wheeler servicing.

Last edited by bigron : 29th October 2018 at 19:17.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 20:56   #20
BHPian

We in India have been at a luxury with low labour cost, With stunts like these we will see a increase in DIY which in my opinion is good.

The ones who don't know a spanner from a screwdriver will pay these rates, rest will do it themselves..

Overall Good..

PS: My Speed Triple chain is cleant & lubed by Triumph if they feel the need and charge me some 200-300, many times they don't need to as it is good as I am OCD !! KTM charges me 200 if I am not mistaken..
DeepakMenon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 21:08   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
I don't see the problem...the time and effort needed for chain servicing and bike cleaning is the same for 3 lakh G310 or 20 lakh S1000RR.
Why should they charge less?
Because...
Rs.9000 / Rs.2000000 = 0.0045
while
Rs.9000/ Rs.450000 = 0.02

Service profits are super duper with G310R than 20L motorcycle

And that OD article...absolutely stupid!! May be because I could not understand what he's trying to say trying to be too diplomatic in trying to please Yamaha, which I'm not bound to nor is TBhp.

As a layman, what I would do is compare the competitor like this: Yamaha R3 3.48 Lakhs, competitor Ninja 300 3.6L. To compare BMW vs RTR 310 from the same price point, it is 3Lakhs versus 2.05L. It's not just 20K-30K difference but nearly a Lakh. And from technical point of view, the former ones are different right from manufacturer, tech spec & even design, while in the case of latter, they are 99% same except for the astronomical difference in the service cost. Even the engine originates from the same plant for different brands. Obviously as Indians, we all seek value for our money & it simply does not make sense to accept the latter comparison which is not the case with former ones.

Last but not the least, R3 is twin which is not the same with RTR 310 or RC390 & obviously it will be priced more especially when it is priced less than it true competitor.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th October 2018 at 22:20. Reason: Fixed as requested.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 21:12   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hahaahaha, this is nearly the cost of the first service for my Honda Africa Twin. In the USA.
naveenroy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 21:15   #23
BHPian

And we thought Triumph Service was expensive.
Old 29th October 2018, 22:54   #24
BANNED

Given the right circumstances an abuse victim can form a bond with his/her abuser, I believe the term is Stockholm Syndrome.

I see something of that sort happening when people try to justify such scenarios.

In comparison a complete front end overhaul for the P220 costs 4~4.5k, that includes consumables namely a pair of new oil and dust seals, fork oil of about 640ml and a cone-set. Consumables cost is way under the 1k mark and the rest is labour charge.

Considering the work done some might justify the pricing but even if you compute hourly wage at 1k per hour the total labour should come under 2k, hence I know for a fact that I'm being overcharged but considering that I lack time to get the job done myself I'm fine with coughing up the dough.

But in the case of the GS there is no logical explanation justifying the cost to customer irrespective of how you look at it, as the maintenance ritual is something that has been illustrated in the owners manual and requires no specific training to perform.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2018, 23:04   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Just ridiculous amount charged for cleaning a chain. Simply unjustified to charge such amounts. Even replacement of chain kit should not cost that much.

Get the damn bike serviced outside than going to the dealerships and ensure they empty your bank account.
Old 30th October 2018, 01:05   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Imagine the cost of spares, the gold plated chain kit would be in tune to 30k+ I guess.

Last edited by AtheK : 30th October 2018 at 01:12.
Old 30th October 2018, 01:42   #27
BHPian

Re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
On a serious note, it makes more sense to let go of the warranty as the 4K saved per service would be more than enough for a major overhaul I believe.
Are you saying that if I were to lube the chain , change the oil and filter, - I would void the warranty? That makes no sense, and would be a total rip off. What if I keep receipts of purchasing oil and oil filter? Dirt is like crown jewels on an adventure bike. They eventually fall off because of the vibrations, or rain will eventually wash it off. I would never pay to have a dealer clean my motorcycle.

Last edited by GutsyGibbon : 30th October 2018 at 01:46.
Old 30th October 2018, 03:50   #28
Senior - BHPian

Man oh man. Time for TVS to open its service centers to BMW motorbikes. Pretty much the same engine and most of the mechanical bits are probably identical to the BMW.

Does anyone know what it cost to service a TVS RR310?
Old 30th October 2018, 05:38   #29
BANNED

Re: BMW G310R & G310GS launched at Rs. 2.99 - 3.49 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
Are you saying that if I were to lube the chain , change the oil and filter, - I would void the warranty? That makes no sense, and would be a total rip off. What if I keep receipts of purchasing oil and oil filter? Dirt is like crown jewels on an adventure bike. They eventually fall off because of the vibrations, or rain will eventually wash it off. I would never pay to have a dealer clean my motorcycle.
"Free Service" is a scam as far as my experience goes and it being a mandate to maintain warranty just enforces the notion.

BMW G310R owner shares first (atrocious) service bill-picsart_103005.34.12.jpg

I second that, frequently washing a Motorcycle would not do anyone any good and in fact is just a means of inviting new problems, IMHO Motorcycles are not meant to be washed.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 09:08   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This bill also cleaning shows that cleaning motorcycle by BMW is fixed at 190 per hour as also seen in the OP. However, whereas the Bangalore dealer has charged for 2 hours of cleaning the motorcycle, Kolkata dealer cleaned the motorcycle for a full 8 hours. Bangalore dealer has also not charged for the consumables (Clean + lube) as it comes included under the other tab, but Kolkata dealer charged him 8 times of what a set of full bottles cost!

Please dont tell me you still think its justified!

Damn this is clearly cheating then! I thought the expensive pricing was standard throughout the country.
Usually the billing prices and software are provided by the company. So is the Kolkotta dealer pulling a scam with fake bills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Because...
Rs.9000 / Rs.2000000 = 0.0045
while
Rs.9000/ Rs.450000 = 0.02

Service profits are super duper with G310R than 20L motorcycle
Yes. BMW and the dealer's main motive is to make healthy profits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
And that OD article...absolutely stupid!! May be because I could not understand what he's trying to say trying to be too diplomatic in trying to please Yamaha, which I'm not bound to nor is TBhp.
You have completely missed the point of the article. Yamaha is just an example. Personally, even forgetting service costs, G310R & G310GS are highly overpriced for what they offer over the competition. And it does not make sense to me at all. I was initially looking forward to the launch but once they announced the prices, I completely lost interest.
But the pricing (and "BMW" experience) does make sense for the people who buy.
So who are we to dispute the fact?
To give my own example a lot of people considered me a fool for buying an expensive D390 instead of an Alto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
"Free Service" is a scam as far as my experience goes and it being a mandate to maintain warranty just enforces the notion.
Free service with limited time period is absolutely a scam! There is no real reason for servicing and/or oil change every 6 month or one year if your bike has not done significant mileage. The only purpose is to make money for the dealer.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks