Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2018, 10:00   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW G310R owner shares first (atrocious) service bill

My 2 cents and a different perspective based on my own personal experience of regular maintenance / Servicing of my RE Thunderbird. In my last 3-4 servicing patterns, my Servicing bill has been upwards of 3000 each time for some reason or the other. I take my bike to dealer atleast 2 times, if not 3 times in a year. Which amounts to atleast 6000 upwards on servicing for a bike that costs significantly less than BMW 310 family. BMW has once in a year or at 10000km servicing intervals against 3000km for RE. Basically it amounts to same thing - either you lose blood over a period of time or you lose blood in one big gash. Another analogy is of incremental petrol hikes on each day as against once in 3 months.

Please note that I am not justifying that Chain Lube and chain cleaning should cost more than 2600 and bike clean upwards of 1500. That IS a rip off. That doesn't mean that only BMW is doing that. Atleast in my case, even RE is doing that albeit in other fashion. I believe that customer should be able to dictate to the service station that what you want them to do and what you don't.

Most of you will not agree as you may have different experiences, but this one is based on my personal experience.

Please note, I do not own BMW motorcycles or cars.

Take care and ride safe
rkavthekar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 10:04   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Does anyone know what it cost to service a TVS RR310?
Please check this post by Athek -

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4486334 (BMW G310R owner shares first (atrocious) service bill)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
Damn this is clearly cheating then! I thought the expensive pricing was standard throughout the country.
Usually the billing prices and software are provided by the company. So is the Kolkotta dealer pulling a scam with fake bills?
Bill is not fake, they are just playing around with the units when it comes to labour. For chain and lube parts - I suspect they billed entire cans on one customer - though only a fraction of it is required for one bike.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2018, 10:22   #33
BHPian

Wow!! I paid less for servicing my Vista which I recently got done this month @ the 1.4 lakh km mark.

This is seriously expensive!!
Old 30th October 2018, 20:56   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
For chain and lube parts - I suspect they billed entire cans on one customer - though only a fraction of it is required for one bike.
This is THE BEST that you can get in India for this price & I've been using it for over 1L Km on my C250R & no other lube can withstand for 1500 Km with a single spray.

Now compare the cost of lubing versus the product itself!!

BMW G310R owner shares first (atrocious) service bill-a1.jpg
Old 31st October 2018, 16:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

There is a clarification from the dealer here

Quote:
In the first invoice, INR 1793.60 (which includes GST) is used for labor charge, INR 896.80 is charged for consumables where brake cleaner, parts cleaner, rust off and HSS is used for the cleaning of the specific parts.

Cleaning of motorcycle which included washing and complete detailing was a value-added (additional service) which cost INR 1569.40 wherein we use products like BMW Bike Shower Gel, BMW Gloss Polish and buffing the painted parts.

In the second invoice, chain cleaner and chain sprays were used to clean and lubricate the chain and the leftover materials were even handed over to the customer for future usage.
All in all, the total cost for the first servicing of the motorcycle is INR 4163 which includes gasket ring change, oil filter change, BMW Motorrad genuine oil change at MRP and labor costs including GST. The rest of the charges were for consumables, Value added services like cleaning and detailing. And for chain clean and chain lubes which were sold at MRP.

Also we are the only brand that offers 3 years unlimited warranty and which needs only four oil-change services over a period of 3 years, making it a bike with one of the lowest cost of ownership in premium mid-size motorcycle market.
When you mention cleaning in the invoice and charge 1500 for it, the justification post the uproar that it includes value added detailing with premium products is still not going to make the customer happy.

The chain spray was charged at 1500 & the cleaning 1200. Not sure what is the size of the spray can etc - is it 150ml version of the above Motul set and not the 400ml? I got the 150ml set for 400 some time back from Amazon. Is it a common practice that each time for each bike, a new can is opened? Am not sure really but if yes, seems just another way of over charging.

All this begs a question if this was all clearly stated upfront to the customer in detail before taking the bike in for service. I doubt it.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 31st October 2018 at 16:04.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 17:16   #36
Senior - BHPian

I love BMW, they stand by their promise, their cheapest offering is also the cheapest to maintain . On a serious note aren't the rates supposedly uniform?This deserves an escalation to BMW!
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 21:30   #37
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
All this begs a question if this was all clearly stated upfront to the customer in detail before taking the bike in for service. I doubt it.
Letter clearly comes across as a last minute attempt to save face. Even then, their explanations are falling flat.

Cans returned to costumer, detailing? Still doesn't explain the rates IMO.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 31st October 2018 at 21:35.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2018, 18:10   #38
Senior - BHPian

Although not an Apple to Apple Comparison, For my Dominar which cost less than half of the 310, has higher engine capacity, same power specs, the chain sprocket replacement at 17,000 kms was 3,600 including labor. Wonder what would be the pricing for the 310.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW G310R owner shares first (atrocious) service bill-img_20181101_164122.jpg  

Last edited by Maverick5490 : 1st November 2018 at 18:11.
Maverick5490 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks