Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2018, 16:11   #16
BANNED

Re: The beauty of 1-day rides! A worthy middleweight to breakfast rides & long journeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You know, I feel bad for you bikers.....

@ All bikers: Please do experience the Lonavla ghat in a car .
Oh!! we have done those ghats in our cars. It's hard to be a BHPian from these parts without driving that section. Certainly, we all love our cars. It's just that for some of us, our hearts beat just a tad faster for two wheeled transportation. And the frustrating part about bikes not being allowed on the expressway is that aside from us not getting to ride those ghats, the ban actually shuts us off from using the expressway as a legitimate gateway while traveling south. Being forced to enter and exit Lonavla town is a waste of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
....Although I don't ride as fast as most superbikers do - I love the stretch of road when you take the Khopoli exit.
That's a super nice bike and nice picture too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
A very nice thread there Mohan. I am sure it will help & inspire many new entrants to this whole scene and also returning riders who may have left the scene back in the 80s and 90s. Yeah its a lot different now because we have much better bikes, riding aids, infrastructure and more breakfast spots as well.

As a solo rider myself, I echo most of your sentiments. And I agree if you are riding solo, its much better to strap your stuff at the back and ride freely without a backpack hanging on you. Enjoy the freedom!

As for Aux lights, I do agree some of the cheap Chinese stuff spreads lights in all directions that can be a major irritant for oncoming traffic, so it would be prudent to go with lights that focus front and are angled onto the road rather than the horizon. As for a comment above that Aux are not required, each of us has different kinds of eye sight in the dark and probably some may be comfortable with stock headlights, which is fine. To each his own as long as you are comfortable with what you see.

Ride safe and keep the fun going
Thank you. Incidentally, I have used backpacks often. But now that I think about it, I have never once worn them on my back!! Not even when I was in school.

Also, my auxiliary lights are purely functional. I certainly like the bike's look without them. Given a choice, I would not have them on. But, unfortunately for me, I need more illumination at night than what the Dominar's headlight provides. And my lights didn't come cheap. These are Lightbot which come at around 8k a piece. So, I spent almost 17 k in purchase and installation. Money that I would have been happy to save.
mohansrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 18:07   #17
BHPian

Re: The beauty of 1-day rides! A worthy middleweight to breakfast rides & long journeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
Oh!! we have done those ghats in our cars. .
Great thread and it reminded me of many of my solo and/or duo trips that I have done on my set of two wheels - CBZ, R15 and CBR250 (the best budget sport touring machine on two wheels according to me )

Kasara Ghat is great in its current form but it is just too short now, after I have been on it multiple times. It is maintained well though given that it sees a lot less traffic that the Mumbai-Pune highway.

I was going to recommend you do similar one day return trips on the Mumbai-Pune old highway but you have been there and done that too

Mumbai - Ahmadnagar road is also usually a well maintained road after Shahad/Ulhasnagar. You could do Mumbai-Bhimashankar via Malshej here perhaps.

If you have the time, a place of stay figured out and the capacity - you could try a full day one-way ride (and hence a weekend round trip) to Indore, on the same Mumbai-Agra highway and/or go further on the Mumbai-Bangalore highway, beyond Pune - perhaps to Mahableshwar.

Apart from riding solo, I have figured out that riding as duo (2-3 friends on 2 bikes) is also great fun. You can cover more distance with such a small company and also go over night. I don't recommend going overnight alone.

Many years back two friends of mine and I rode for 14 hours (with many small breaks in between to refuel or have food, tea or just relax and enjoy cooler wind at night) straight before coming to our final point of return. I have never enjoyed breakfast rides in large groups to be honest.

Regarding food and essentials - what you have described is great.

If I could add anything as an option to eat that would be - Dry Fruits (not the salted ones), homemade Koki (Sindhi item), Theplas (or similar item made at home), ready to eat curd packs, Apples and already peeled Oranges and boiled eggs (unless you are a vegetarian). Not necessarily all but simply what anyone would prefer over others. All these items are simple to prepare or collect and quick to eat. Not to forget a Swiss knife or a spoon and a regular knife.

Travelling in Mumbai locals during peak hours during my college days has made me always carry a secondary pair of specs as backup. Great that you shared your experience on the same here.

Wish you many more rides.

Last edited by sunilch : 2nd November 2018 at 18:18.
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 22:34   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunilch View Post
Great thread..
Thank you

Quote:
..Mumbai - Ahmadnagar road is also usually a well maintained road after Shahad/Ulhasnagar. You could do Mumbai-Bhimashankar via Malshej here perhaps.
I think the Ahmednagar road is via Malshej if I am not wrong; in which case, I have done that route twice. Only once successfully though. The other time, I could only get within 40 kms of Malshej before I had to turn back due to paucity of time. But, I think 10 times before I go that direction because the Kalyan-Dombivali-Ulhasnagar route stinks. For one thing, there must be at least 1000 speedbreakers on that route. Second, there is some bridge construction going on in Kalyan or Dombivali (I am not sure where that spot is exactly). And I got stuck in insane traffic jams in that same spot both times. Then the general traffic and garbage dumps on the road add a huge negative dimension to the whole route. After Murbad the road does open up. But, a lack of dual carriageway is still a sore point. At this point, I am looking for alternative approaches to Malshej because that ghat section is nice.

Quote:
....If you have the time, a place of stay figured out and the capacity - you could try a full day one-way ride (and hence a weekend round trip) to Indore, on the same Mumbai-Agra highway and/or go further on the Mumbai-Bangalore highway, beyond Pune - perhaps to Mahableshwar.
My friend, if I could stay away from home for a night and return back the next day, I'd have done it already. I have very young children and old seniors under my watch. So, can't leave home for extended periods. I'd be worried sick thinking about things at home. A day ride is like going to the office. At least, I can think of it that way to make myself feel less guilty. Still, the children are growing fast. So, I think in the very near future, my wife will be OK with me going for extended rides; if she can get over her fear factor that is (she keeps checking my shared location on Google maps every 30 minutes).

Quote:
If I could add anything as an option to eat that would be - Dry Fruits (not the salted ones), homemade Koki (Sindhi item), Theplas (or similar item made at home), ready to eat curd packs, Apples and already peeled Oranges and boiled eggs (unless you are a vegetarian). Not necessarily all but simply what anyone would prefer over others. All these items are simple to prepare or collect and quick to eat. Not to forget a Swiss knife or a spoon and a regular knife.
This is great. Excellent ideas actually. Some really cool items there.

I actually thought a lot before posting details about the food. Some part of me wondered if it would be OK, or if I was going to come off sounding totally uncool. But, in the end, I decided that I was going to provide as much detail as possible. Because bikes don't have the luxury of space that cars do, and one has to examine each item from a need vs. space point of view. In the past year, I have experimented a lot before I arrived at the PB & B sandwiches. They work superbly because a) they are tasty, b) they are not messy, and c) they are high on the satiety index. Hence you're carrying a smaller volume of food that is going to keep you feeling full for a lot longer.

Quote:
Travelling in Mumbai locals during peak hours during my college days has made me always carry a secondary pair of specs as backup. Great that you shared your experience on the same here.
I said in my post that I have 2 spare eyeglasses at home. That is not entirely true. My wife just reminded me that I actually have 5 spare eyeglasses!!! I have one in my office bag and another in my carry-on luggage. These 2 spares are permanently parked in those bags. Then I have a spare in my car and another spare at my parents' place in Mysore. The last spare is lying in my bedroom drawer for emergencies.

So, the point here is that I have been in this exact same situation before which is what made me build so many redundancies in the house. And yet I managed to forget the lessons that I learned many times before.

Now, I am about to get another spare and permanently park it under my seat on the bike. What other option do I have?

Cheers.

Last edited by mohansrides : 2nd November 2018 at 23:02.
Old 3rd November 2018, 00:33   #19
BHPian

Quote:
At this point, I am looking for alternative approaches to Malshej because that ghat section is nice.
Seems like you are taking the Shil-Phata route which I agree is one of the worst. There is too much of garbage on that route and since it passes through a large industrial area at Dombivili, it stinks a lot too. That route is not what I take though. I go via the Nasik highway and take a right turn at Bhiwandi bypass. It is jammed these days a lot due to an upcoming bridge there but still it is better than the option you are taking. I grew up in Ulhasnagar and hence I know the best possible options and manage a solo ride to Malshej every monsoon (sometimes on the humble Activa as well)

Quote:
My friend, if I could stay away from.......my wife will be OK with me going for extended rides; if she can get over her fear factor that is (she keeps checking my shared location on Google maps every 30 minutes).
Hehe, I am in the same shoes as you currently and hence my bike rides have reduced dramatically than before. Still at times I do manage to do so a few times a year now as opposed to what I used to do once every month earlier. Life has different phases and each is a different experience. Enjoy the parenthood for now. I dream of going on duo rides with my son in the future once he is of the correct age to ride. I know I dream too far since my kid is not even 1 yet but I know with things like these I am

Quote:
What other option do I have?
Hehe, things happen for a reason - we just don't know it sometimes
sunilch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 02:19   #20
Team-BHP Support

Fantastic thread and one I can totally relate to as a passionate motorcyclist who does not get enough saddle time. Personally i have neither the endurance confidence nor the tine to go on long multiple day rides but I guess an all day ride once in a way would be a nice way to break into slightly longer distances.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 11:56   #21
BANNED

And I thought I was the only one so anal about planning the ride.

I prefer riding solo too. In a group, you can either go as fast as the slowest rider or ride out of your comfort zone to keep up. I hate being in either of those situations.

My first long ride was Dharuhera-Pune with just power naps in between. I started preparing the list of items I'd need about two months in advance. I wore a pair of contacts, carried a spare, and my glasses too. Ended up using the glasses while returning.

You forget the trip if everything goes as planned. Glueing your glasses to your face is certainly memorable. During my ride, the Google Gods took me through a "shortcut" and I spent 3 hours (4-7am) riding through grape farms. One breath felt like Nirvana as the senses enjoyed the smell of red wine. And with the next breath, I could tell that someone was taking a dump not far from my coordinates.

I too wanted to leave early (6am, an hour before sunrise) but having a good night sleep was a higher priority. Left at 9 and didn't regret one bit.

My meal plan was small tetra pack milk and the Patanjali biscuits; ones that fall in the same category as ParleG. The idea was:

- if I eat outside, I could end up with an upset stomach
- if I eat a lot of fiber, I'll have to take loo breaks and leave my saddle bags unattended, while also having to deal with the putting my gear on and taking it off.
- having full meals would've made me sleepy while riding
- in TBhp terms, the power-to-weight ratio was acceptable

I hadn't heard of peanut butter banana sandwich. I'll give it a try. It's definitely better than washing the katoris after every "meal" stop.

I took ZERO pics during the trip. Was way too busy enjoying the ride.

Show me the aux light setup. Tell me more about it. My cheap Chinese U5 projectors worked well during my ride and I didn't have to worry about the incoming high beams. But they're not very reliable.

What cruise speed do you carry when there are strong crosswinds? I prefer light bikes. Is that weight penalty a reasonable trade off if it helps maintain healthy cruise speeds?

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 3rd November 2018 at 11:58.
MaheshY1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2018, 23:51   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Fantastic thread and one I can totally relate to as a passionate motorcyclist who does not get enough saddle time. Personally i have neither the endurance confidence nor the tine to go on long multiple day rides but I guess an all day ride once in a way would be a nice way to break into slightly longer distances.
Thank you. By the way, very nicely done I must say. You do have a smooth way of flying under the radar with your modesty. Because I don't believe that bit about you lacking confidence; lacking time, maybe; but, lacking confidence? I don't buy that line at all. No one who lacks confidence is going to have a Street Triple and a BMW 3 GT.

Incidentally, I know experienced automotive journos who suffer from zero intimidation factors, and THEY swear that rather than get on one, they will simply choose to acknowledge a Street Triple from a distance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
And I thought I was the only one so anal about planning the ride.

I prefer riding solo too. In a group, you can either go as fast as the slowest rider or ride out of your comfort zone to keep up. I hate being in either of those situations.
I actually prefer riding in a group. But, a group is hard to come by. But, you are absolutely right in what you said about differing speeds in a group. The thing is that I am always the slowest guy. So, I never had a problem because I left it to the others to wait for me at designated points during our rides. And to be fair, the guys in my group are super nice. They may be hard to get together for a ride. But, they are considerate towards each other and do wait up for slow pokes like me.

Quote:
My first long ride was Dharuhera-Pune with just power naps in between. I started preparing the list of items I'd need about two months in advance. I wore a pair of contacts, carried a spare, and my glasses too. Ended up using the glasses while returning.
I have actually considered wearing contacts. They are certainly convenient. But, my eyes run too dry and the lenses keep irritating them and making them red. Ultimately, it's all about comfort I guess. Also, I don't want to look like the guys in that Alto who gave me trouble.

Quote:
You forget the trip if everything goes as planned. Glueing your glasses to your face is certainly memorable. During my ride, the Google Gods took me through a "shortcut" and I spent 3 hours (4-7am) riding through grape farms. One breath felt like Nirvana as the senses enjoyed the smell of red wine. And with the next breath, I could tell that someone was taking a dump not far from my coordinates.
Now, that's funny.

Quote:
My meal plan was small tetra pack milk and the Patanjali biscuits; ones that fall in the same category as ParleG. The idea was:

- if I eat outside, I could end up with an upset stomach
- if I eat a lot of fiber, I'll have to take loo breaks and leave my saddle bags unattended, while also having to deal with the putting my gear on and taking it off.
- having full meals would've made me sleepy while riding
- in TBhp terms, the power-to-weight ratio was acceptable

I hadn't heard of peanut butter banana sandwich. I'll give it a try. It's definitely better than washing the katoris after every "meal" stop.

I took ZERO pics during the trip. Was way too busy enjoying the ride.
Taking food along is always a tricky thing; even in cars and trains actually. Because one never knows how much is too much. But on bikes, I am starting to realize that carrying food can make all the difference. One is certainly free to eat at restaurants and streetside stalls even when one is carrying food. In fact, I actually recommend that people do that. That way, the food in the bag is available for emergencies. Incidentally, that's the great thing about PB & B sandwiches. They do not go bad. Like ever. They are good for at least 2 to 3 days without refrigeration.

But, you make a great point about saddle bags and loo breaks. It's something to think about during longer rides (which I most definitely want to do)!!

Quote:
Show me the aux light setup. Tell me more about it. My cheap Chinese U5 projectors worked well during my ride and I didn't have to worry about the incoming high beams. But they're not very reliable.

What cruise speed do you carry when there are strong crosswinds? I prefer light bikes. Is that weight penalty a reasonable trade off if it helps maintain healthy cruise speeds?
PM me. I will try to take better pictures of the aux set up in daylight to send to you.

I typically hang out in the 80s. Speeds higher than that are fine too. But, it's in the 80/90 range that I feel that I have enough time to react when I see something on the road. The Dominar is a strange creature though. Once it's cruising, this bike really has legs and I have to work a little bit to stay in my comfort zone. Out on the open highway, this bike reminds me of those long-limbed marathoners. When I watch those elegant Kenyan runners, the aspect that really stands out for me is their seamless acceleration wherein they go from one phase of the race to the next without any visible change in their bio-mechanics. One minute, you'd see their languid frames and long strides gobble up the miles, and in the next minute their legs would be almost a blur as they start closing in on the finish line. The transition from when those guys are simply "hanging out" while running, to the point where they are actually racing; that transition is hardly perceptible to an untrained eye. It's the same with this motorcycle. One minute, I am generally hanging out doing 80 something, and then I look down to see the speedo in the high 110s!! Crazy!!

To answer your question, I definitely think that added weight is a huge advantage on the highway. In the same vein, I think an engine of at least this size is required on the highway. I cannot imagine going long distances in 100 CC thingies. It's not that smaller bikes cannot tour. Certainly we have seen pictures of Activas at Leh and what not!! But, it's a question of how relaxed the engine feels when consistently cruising at high speeds for hours on end.

A good analogy again would be those elite marathoners with resting heart rates in the low 30s; which translates to a relaxed 120 or 130 beats a minute when they are running at some 18 km/h!! That's the state of their "engines" (heart and lungs), and the level of their lactate threshold. To put that in perspective, most average people are at 120 beats a minute while they are peeling an orange!!
mohansrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th November 2018, 18:05   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you. By the way, very nicely done I must say. You do have a smooth way of flying under the radar with your modesty. Because I don't believe that bit about you lacking confidence; lacking time, maybe; but, lacking confidence? I don't buy that line at all. No one who lacks confidence is going to have a Street Triple and a BMW 3 GT.
Haha. Thanks for the kind words but just to clarify by confidence I was only referring to bikes and the endurance aspect of staying all day in the saddle for multiple day rides without tiring.

On a separate note the triple got sold a few weekends ago and coming this week is a new tiger 800 XRX. Got a sneak peak from showroom pending stuff like battery, windshield, handlebar crash guards etc being installed. I hope I can do some day long rides on this bike but it’s giod enough for city rides too.
Attached Thumbnails
The beauty of 1-day rides! A worthy middleweight to breakfast rides & long journeys-7a56bc285aa14ef39f3d1b6ac1f6f6ed.jpeg  

The beauty of 1-day rides! A worthy middleweight to breakfast rides & long journeys-53e3cd0a308a41aeb073053078b6aba5.jpeg  

Axe77 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 14:22   #24
BHPian

Crisp and well detailed write up, Mohan. Must I say that though I adore the idea of one day rides as much as you, I must also confess that I am a woeful planner. Your post was eye opening in that matter, and also dare I say that you have accurately surmised the character of our highways.

Coming to the reason for my post, I like your riding boots choice and I would like to know more about it. I would be grateful if you can help me out with my queries.

1. Is it all weather compatible?

2. How do you take care of it?

3. How do you find the fit and finish of the boots?

4. Though being a riding boot, does it pass off as an everyday usable one?
ss11011988 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 18:02   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
On a separate note the triple got sold a few weekends ago and coming this week is a new tiger 800 XRX. Got a sneak peak from showroom pending stuff like battery, windshield, handlebar crash guards etc being installed. I hope I can do some day long rides on this bike but it’s giod enough for city rides too.
Great pictures and beautiful bike. You really like that 3 cylindered engine it looks like. If you are selling this one down the road, ping me first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post
Crisp and well detailed write up, Mohan.

Coming to the reason for my post, I like your riding boots choice and I would like to know more about it. I would be grateful if you can help me out with my queries.

Thank you.

Now, let's talk about the boots. They are really good in the sense that they fulfill the purpose for which they are designed and built - casual looking motorcycle boots with all the required protection and added breath-ability. These boots perform their intended function well. I can feel the heel and toe counter protection and my feet have never felt hot or sweaty at any point as my socks typically remain dry. Also, wherever I have gone, no one has asked me if I came there on a motorcycle. I can remove all my gear and walk into a restaurant and not look out of place. So, thumbs up. No complaints at all on those fronts.

But, if I had to do it again, I would not order these shoes. For one thing, they are not waterproof. A couple of times this monsoon, I rode for short distances and my feet got soaked good and proper. Not as much because of the rain, but more because of the numerous puddles and the surface water on the roads. The front wheel keeps driving the muck straight at the front of my feet. Result = really wet socks. Thank god that I wasn't on a multi-day ride because the shoes take a couple of days to dry. So, even if I had replaced my wet socks with clean and dry ones, they would have quickly become wet as the shoes were still wet.

Second, those laces are a pain. Tying them before a ride is a process because snugness adjustment is a trial and error exercise. Also, with so many eyelets, taking out the laces for a wash can be annoying. If you simply pull out the laces, you will surely damage the aglets. So, you have to carefully push the aglets out through each eyelet. Total pain!! More importantly, once the laces have been washed, threading them back thru the 15 or 20 eyelets is one more thing on the to-do list before going out on a ride. I mean, as if I didn't have enough things to think about already!! Also, there is a small chance that the laces may interfere with the motorcycle's controls.

Looking back, I can see that aside from these boots and my running shoes none of my other footwear have laces. The shoes that I wear to work, both informal and formal, are slip-ons; really convenient. I bought these boots because at the time when I was gear shopping, I could find only these shoes that fit my criteria of breathable, casual looking boots specific to riding. Also, I got a great deal on them. During last year's Diwali sale, they were only 7k.

Finally, to answer your question of whether they are truly comfortable all day shoes; I think that depends on one's usage pattern. If you are on your feet and walking around a lot in the office and or any other place, these boots are not going to be as comfortable as sneakers or office shoes with rubber soles. For one thing, these boots have no heel and no arch support. That's because they are designed to rest on a footpeg and for the flat sole to not impede fore and aft movement of the foot. While good for riding, this design could be less comfortable as a daily beater.

Hope this helps you.

Incidentally, I myself am researching boots (breathable and yet waterproof) and a helmet (with more of a round head shape bias) for a gear upgrade. But, I am in no hurry. My research takes months, even years sometimes.

You should look at Sidi and TCX websites. They are both great brands. By ow, I am sure you have realized that notwithstanding the price of my motorcycle, I always choose to buy topnotch gear.

Cheers
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 20:32   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss11011988 View Post

I have JCB Trekker work boots for commutes. It has really thick nubuck leather, steel toe, thick sole and speed lacing.

You only have to tie the laces once. For regular use, just pull and hook the laces. they're not waterproof but the easy-on-easy-off feature means I've a smaller time penalty to pay for wearing them. For <3k, it's more than I could've asked for.

I avoid riding in rains, but if I know I might have to deal with some showers, then I use the Dainese TRQ Tour Gore-tex. These are plush and stay dry. I've only gotten them wet once when I had to put my foot down in >1 ft of water. I don't see the point in taking such a pricey route for regular use.

The easiest way would be to look at waterproofing at the sock level so that you can choose any shoe without compromising on the breathability.

Also, if you want to factor in the style quotient, then expect to pay a premium for something that's not as protective. TCX x blend, Hero, and Street Ace come to mind when you talk about Moto boots that don't look like Moto boots. But the laces WILL be a pain. My first choice was the now-discontinued icon Superduty 4
MaheshY1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th November 2018, 21:05   #27
BANNED

Quote:

I have JCB Trekker work boots for commutes. It has really thick nubuck leather, steel toe, thick sole and speed lacing.

You only have to tie the laces once. For regular use, just pull and hook the laces. they're not waterproof but the easy-on-easy-off feature means I've a smaller time penalty to pay for wearing them. For <3k, it's more than I could've asked for.

The easiest way would be to look at waterproofing at the sock level so that you can choose any shoe without compromising on the breathability.

Also, if you want to factor in the style quotient, then expect to pay a premium for something that's not as protective. TCX x blend, Hero, and Street Ace come to mind when you talk about Moto boots that don't look like Moto boots. But the laces WILL be a pain. My first choice was the now-discontinued icon Superduty 4
Wow!! Awesome information. Thank you. I agree that these JCBs are a great idea. One question though. How ventilated are your feet in them?

I haven't heard of brands like Hero and Street Ace. But, I will start looking into them now.

Incidentally what bike do you ride now? And is it the same one that you used for your long rides? You certainly are a discerning consumer. So, I guess I am curious about your choice in motorcycles.

Happy Dhanteras.
mohansrides is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 10:41   #28
BHPian

"To be one - the man and the machine,
Is a dream that cannot be unseen.
A knight with his noble steed,
To maps paying no heed,
When the ride itself is the destination,
The completion of which is definitely a cause for jubilation!"

Beautiful inspiring thread to go through, especially on one of these relatively idle days when one would wish to venture out for something like this!

Side note: You could definitely do with a better 'kit' in terms of preparation. For example, dry fruits and even fruits (like an apple or pear) would make an excellent addition to your 'food' section.
It is sacrilegious for people with a disability (yes I have myopia too and I find it a disability because it severely limits some opportunities in my life) to move around without a backup. Get your old frame repaired and always keep it as a spare.
Electrical tape, duct tape, some nylon rope, face towels, wet wipes, sanitizer, power bank, basic first aid (I prefer micropore tape to band-aids) and the likes are some basic things that should find their way in your kit for any long haul (ride, drive or trek).

Hope the bug catches on and we get to witness some more 'domination' on your Dominar.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 12:15   #29
BHPian

Mod note: Post merged. Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Also do trim the quoted post to help with readability. Thanks.

Quote:
Thank you.

Now, let's talk about the boots.
=======
By ow, I am sure you have realized that notwithstanding the price of my motorcycle, I always choose to buy topnotch gear.

Cheers

Thank you for taking your time to answer my questions in detail, much appreciated. And yes, your choice of riding gear is indeed excellent, as i see safety and quality in the forefront.

Quote:

====
But the laces WILL be a pain. My first choice was the now-discontinued icon Superduty 4

Never thought a safety shoe could pass off as a riding boot this well, but i would sure try that one out, thank you!

If i may ask, how would you rate the breath ability of the shoes?

Last edited by Jaggu : 6th November 2018 at 12:31. Reason: Back to back posts, please use Multi Quote [Quote+] instead. Thanks.
ss11011988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th November 2018, 18:53   #30
Team-BHP Support

Have always been a solo rider till past an year and I still relish that.

# No breaks. [I don't smoke or have a thing for tea, the only stops are for fuel & bio-breaks].

# Maintaining your cruising speed. I can not ride below 85 - 90 kmph, if I do, I would be distracted.

# I had fruits or a pack of wafers with an aerated drink back then, now, its only fruits or local food [fast moving item] and in less quantity [1 chapati, an omelette and a dal for the entire day].

# I take photos of corners, chicken-strips and something which makes me stop.

With few friends, there are few more stoppages but if they are almost like minded, you can have fun on the bluetooth device and keeps monotony away on those long rides.

One day rides are the best and works for me. ~500-600 kms [more than half of it in hills in 2nd gear] is what satiates me. On plains, it has to be 750 kms plus [dawn to dusk].
Sheel is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed