Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2018, 22:39   #31
BANNED

Re: The beauty of 1-day rides! A worthy middleweight to breakfast rides & long journeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohansrides View Post
How ventilated are your feet in Trekker?

I haven't heard of brands like Hero and Street Ace. But, I will start looking into them now.

Incidentally what bike do you ride now?
Oh! The hero and Street Ace are from TCX. I have to correct myself, the Hero have a zipper and waterproofing. So they may work but the shifter patch will still give away its street cred.

The JCBs get sweaty in no time. The Dainese are much comfier but that's probably because of the choice of moisture wicking lining. A problem I have with the JCB it's that the shoes touch the shifter right where the steel reinforcement ends. These aren't Moto boots. So there's no layer to interface with the shifter. If the gears require some effort, then you'll feel it. I've gotten used to using the steel part for shifting. But the gears shift smoothly on both of my bikes.

Barring the Dainese boots, I've had terrible experience with waterproof gear. If the waterproof layer is not removable, then it'll get creases from regular use, and they create weak spots. It'll leak when it rains and steam you like momos on hot days. I learned this the hard way after spending 30k on a touring kit (jacket+pants+gloves.) I still use it during Winters.

For waterproofing, I'm considering Goretex socks. They're expensive as F, but Goretex is the only waterproofing that hasn't disappointed me. On the plus side, you can replace the shoes when they wear out and retain the socks. So, maybe I can make them last long enough to recover my investment.

My Rides

I ride a Navi (style+city), an Impulse (trail+tour), and a Gixxer SF (Track.) Eventually, I hope to upgrade to the Svartpilen, Xpulse/Crf 250, and ninja 300/650, respectively.

The way some women are addicted to buying shoes and dresses for every imaginable occasion, I'm addicted to buying riding gear. My regular denims cost ~1200 but my Icon riding denims are ten times pricier (hint: taxes and shipping.) Yet, I don't regret spending that amount one bit. I justify my addiction by saying the following BS:

- I want to make other riders aspire to buy riding gear so they can make a style statement too
- I want to make helmet the bare minimum level of safety; not the upper limit of safety gear they buy
- I want to break the notion that riding gear is only for big CC bikes

When people see me in my gear, they often ask what I ride and expect to hear a BIG name. I disappoint them big time. For the first few encounters, they say that it's an overkill for a 150cc/100cc bike. But, in time, they get used to seeing me in gear. I'm sure the mindset will change once enough riders start wearing gear regularly.

But, I'm not alone. I'm sure there are many more BHPians who wear quality gear on their 100-150cc bikes. I'm no ATGATT guy, though. Sometimes, I just feel like wearing my open-face RE helmet with only mesh gloves and eye protection.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 8th November 2018 at 22:46.
MaheshY1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 23:32   #32
BANNED

Re: The beauty of 1-day rides! A worthy middleweight to breakfast rides & long journeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Have always been a solo rider till past an year and I still relish that....One day rides are the best and works for me. ~500-600 kms [more than half of it in hills in 2nd gear] is what satiates me. On plains, it has to be 750 kms plus [dawn to dusk].
750 kms plus!! Sir, if I may.... you truly are an amazing beast!! RESPECT!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Suraj View Post
"...Beautiful inspiring thread to go through, especially on one of these relatively idle days when one would wish to venture out for something like this!

Side note: You could definitely do with a better 'kit' in terms of preparation. For example, dry fruits and even fruits (like an apple or pear) would make an excellent addition to your 'food' section.

Electrical tape, duct tape, some nylon rope, face towels, wet wipes, sanitizer, power bank, basic first aid (I prefer micropore tape to band-aids) and the likes are some basic things that should find their way in your kit for any long haul (ride, drive or trek).
Spoken like a doctor Suraj. I did think of all the stuff you have mentioned when I was planning a full Mumbai - Bangalore ride. I even ordered this FA kit from Amazon; and the Viaterra Claw. But, the ride never materialized for lots of reasons, primary of those being work. Also, I felt that it may be better to do a few all-day rides to acclimatize myself for the long haul before jumping into the deep end. Family was just too nervous with the thought of me just embarking on a solo to Bangalore.

Hope a ride will happen in the near future to a long destination. I am seriously scouting for partners to ride to Goa over a weekend. If that happens, then it will increase my confidence no end about longer rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post

The JCBs get sweaty in no time. The Dainese are much comfier but that's probably because of the choice of moisture wicking lining. A problem I have with the JCB it's that the shoes touch the shifter right where the steel reinforcement ends. These aren't Moto boots. So there's no layer to interface with the shifter. If the gears require some effort, then you'll feel it. I've gotten used to using the steel part for shifting. But the gears shift smoothly on both of my bikes.

Barring the Dainese boots, I've had terrible experience with waterproof gear. If the waterproof layer is not removable, then it'll get creases from regular use, and they create weak spots. It'll leak when it rains and steam you like momos on hot days. I learned this the hard way after spending 30k on a touring kit (jacket+pants+gloves.) I still use it during Winters.
Very meticulous examination of choices. Nicely done. Personally, all I am looking for now is a breathable and WP motorcycle boot without laces that can pass off as casual wear. The search is turning out to be harder than I expected. Good thing that I am a patient man.
mohansrides is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks