Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th November 2018, 20:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Asked by cops for documents, Gurgaon man sets his bike on fire

https://m.hindustantimes.com/gurgaon...wSiY722zL.html

Cops stopped him for a papers check

He proceeded to set fire to his own bike, took down some milk cans hanging on it and walked off, leaving the cops to film the whole thing and whatsapp it to their superiors.

The bike had a fake license plate HR26 JAAT so the cops are trying to trace the owner using the engine and chassis number.
hserus is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 23:36   #2
BHPian

re: Asked by cops for documents, Gurgaon man sets his bike on fire

This is called "Thug Life" - Desi Style.
The guy must be seriously loaded to burn his vehicle & insanely stupid if he thinks the law won't catch up with him.
Small mercy - he didn't damage other people's property (unless the bike was a stolen bike).

Last edited by Ithaca : 7th November 2018 at 23:46.
Ithaca is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th November 2018, 23:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Asked by cops for documents, Gurgaon man sets his bike on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaca View Post
This is called "Thug Life" - Desi Style.
The guy must be seriously loaded to burn his vehicle & insanely stupid if he thinks the law won't catch up with him.
Small mercy - he didn't damage other people's property (unless the bike was a stolen bike).
He was a milkman clearly, as he unloaded milk cans off it and took them away.

There is a good chance the bike was stolen and being driven around with that fake number plate because where do cops have the time and money to trace an old 100 cc bike, and how often do they stop a milkman dressed in shabby clothes and driving slowly on an old bike?

Such vehicles just get sold in the districts for dirt cheap and locals use them on eg early morning milk deliveries, without any cops bothering unless they are caught for a traffic violation or similar. Or in this case, a random vehicle check.

If he's caught with a stolen vehicle he'll end up in jail, so I guess setting fire to the evidence and walking away while the cops are still shocked by the whole thing might have struck him as an intelligent solution.
hserus is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 12:37   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Asked by cops for documents, Gurgaon man sets his bike on fire

We really have all kinds in the country, don't we . I'm going to state the obvious:

1. The bike was stolen.

AND / OR

2. He is an absconding criminal. Must be out on bail / could have escaped jail / some police station must be looking out for him.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 18:03   #5
BANNED

Going by this logic I should've set my Pulsar 220F on fire on the very first day of ownership as I was stopped by cops presuming that I was intentionally riding with the TR stickers on, had to show them my bill of receipt(the only document I had at the time!) to convince them that the motorcycle was literally brand new and I was riding it home from the showroom.

BTW, For those unaware there's a practice in the rural areas where people delay getting their PR plates on so that they can keep riding on the 'new bike' feel for as long as they feel like it, which goes to prove of poverty being a state of mind rather than the lack of resources.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2018, 19:39   #6
Senior - BHPian

Wow! What a story.

In my native place in Gujarat (a small coastal village near Daman), most folks would buy a HH Splendor or a scooter without bothering to register it or even get a third party insurance. So these 2 wheelers, without a number plate, would be used for commutes/loading etc and would be run into the ground only to be replaced a few years later by a new model. Haven't checked in recent years if this practice still continues.
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2018, 12:26   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
The bike had a fake license plate HR26 JAAT so the cops are trying to trace the owner using the engine and chassis number.
Have seen a few Royal Enfields and at least one Scorpio with written either just JAAT or GUJJAR written on their rear number plates.. plying around Gugaon

What SWAG

Amazing how a few can get around the law that too so blatantly.

Last edited by payeng : 10th November 2018 at 12:29.
payeng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 12:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post
Have seen a few Royal Enfields and at least one Scorpio with written either just JAAT or GUJJAR written on their rear number plates.. plying around Gugaon

What SWAG

This is a growing trend in DELHI NCR. Earlier it used to be only on the rear end but now that courage has grown . They come with both the front and the rear number plates written with either JAAT or GUJJAR. I did think of clicking the pictures many a times but then how are they going to be tracked? I wonder, are these things only visible to us and not the cops? How easily can some one escape in the case of some unfortunate incident. Why do cops ignore things until something bigger happens?

Last edited by manson : 26th November 2018 at 17:59. Reason: Typo.
Old 13th November 2018, 13:13   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
This is a growing trend in DELHI NCR. Earlier it used to be only on the rear end but now that courage has grown . They come with both the front and the rear number plates written with either JAAT or GUJJAR.
Many are small time workers of various political outfits and/or local thugs. Cross into the UP side and many bikes, SUVs etc with "Yogi" written in Hindi can be seen, for example.

The cops and RTO don't usually dare to mess with such people so they turn a blind eye.
Old 13th November 2018, 13:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Many are small time workers of various political outfits and/or local thugs. Cross into the UP side and many bikes, SUVs etc with "Yogi" written in Hindi can be seen, for example.

The cops and RTO don't usually dare to mess with such people so they turn a blind eye.
Makes me wonder what if one put number plates with "MODI" on them.. Would it be the easiest "All India Permit"?
payeng is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2018, 14:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by payeng View Post

What SWAG

The latest trend in Noida is to have a white SUV (Scorpios are most common) with white text on a red number plate that reads "GUJJAR".

These SUVs are most notorious for driving very slowly in the middle of two lanes, jumping red light (at crawl speed like a boss, trust me, everybody stops for them), wrong side driving, driving while on phone, jet black tints, driving while drinking & smoking with all windows down etc.

Occupants are usually middle-aged men with beards donning white kurta pyjama or buff dudes in exceptionally tight jeans & T-shirts.

Since I regularly visit a Toyota dealership cum service center at Greater Noida I've made a few acquaintances also. Occasionally we have a white Fortuner rolling in with GUJJAR on the number plate (or no number plate at all) and these folks are (unlike the popular notion of them being part of political outfits) owners of large pieces of land as well as commercial & residential property with 5-10 lakhs (or even more) of monthly rental income. You'd be surprised at how disinterested most are when it comes to politics.

UP cops don't mess with these guys because they usually travel in groups, are also notorious for beating cops and in case of a major event where they flee, cops just don't dare go into their village to arrest them or investigate because there they get beaten up by a mob.

One time around 10-12 folks came in the dealership (all with GUJJAR number plates on their SUVs), called a few selective people in the manager's room and then there was sound of loud slaps heard every 30-60 seconds for around 5 mins. While I don't know the issue it was safe to assume that they were upset over something.

Delhi Police looks like Scotland Yard compared to Noida cops because I've never ever seen a single cop react to these things in Noida, ever!

I'm a Jaat myself and totally understand why people form a certain opinion about all Jaats. Unfortunately, can't do much about it.
fine69 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2018, 13:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

Ok.. I'm confused here. He was stopped, he got down, took some cans off & proceeded to set fire to his bike & ... er.. walked away??? I mean did no one even try to stop him? Really now, is not an offence to burn a vehicle on a public road? Were the traffic cops like - this isn't our department. We can only check papers & penalize you. Now run along there.
Strange country we live in.
schakravarthy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 09:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Wow! What a story.

In my native place in Gujarat (a small coastal village near Daman), most folks would buy a HH Splendor or a scooter without bothering to register it or even get a third party insurance. So these 2 wheelers, without a number plate, would be used for commutes/loading etc and would be run into the ground only to be replaced a few years later by a new model. Haven't checked in recent years if this practice still continues.
That's actually easier to implement, All the authorities need to do is tighten the noose around the dealers, if such a practice exists its causing the exchequer a lot, I am sure someone will soon wakeup.

Pramod

Most Viewed