Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2018, 10:43   #1
Team-BHP Support

After Jawa, Classic Legends confirms the revival of BSA & Yezdi

As per Autocar India reports, Classic Legends - a subsidiary of Mahindra, has confirmed their plans for BSA and Yezdi brands. While BSA will be more export focussed, Yezdi will be for the Indian market - and is not going to be rebadged Jawas.

Quote:
In an interview to Autocar India, Anupam Thareja, Founder, Classic Legends confirmed the ongoing development of a new BSA motorcycle, while also stating that the legendary British brand’s resurrection will be more export-focused. Thareja went on to add that Classic Legends’ current focus is entirely on Jawa, although a new-generation Yezdi, which will certainly hold tremendous appeal, is not going to be a rebadged Jawa and will demand independent and wholesome development. To us, that means that as with the old Yezdis, the underpinnings may well be shared with the Jawas but styling and perhaps some engineering effort beyond that will help distinguish the new age Yezdis.
Read the full article here - https://www.autocarindia.com/bike-ne...zdi-too-410488

Personally very excited with this news - as I relate to Yezdi more than Jawa - and I'm sure many of the current generation will do so too! Will be interesting to see if the Roadking makes a comeback, with that beautiful exhaust note (or atleast whatever modern engines can imitate of that note!) and boxy, yet unique looks!

After Jawa, Classic Legends confirms the revival of BSA & Yezdi-0_0_0_0_70_http___cdni.autocarindia.com_news_yezdi-roadking.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th November 2018, 12:10   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: After Jawa, Classic Legends confirms the revival of BSA & Yezdi

Yesterday only my dad was telling me how he used to ride a yezdi, and how much I have ridden on it. He had to sell it once my brother was born to buy a scooter.

I might buy a yezdi for him as his birthday gift, even if he does not ride it, least I can do to get him all nostalgic. Come On mahindra do it.
AtheK is online now   (15) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 14:19   #3
Team-BHP Support

Never knew Yezdi was an Indian brand -

Quote:
Historically, the Yezdi brand was the brainchild of Mysore-based Ideal Jawa founded by Farrokh Irani, with the motorcycles being based on existing Jawas but with distinctive mechanical architecture and design. Some of the prominent models produced in India under the Yezdi nameplate were the Roadking, Monarch, CL-II and the 350 Twin.
I always thought it had the same origins as Jawa!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 15:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
as I relate to Yezdi more than Jawa - and I'm sure many of the current generations will do so too!
+1

IMHO, Jawa was never a head turner for us during the early 90s. We became teen during mid-90s and attracted to Yezdi. All the modern bikes have already arrived around the mid-90s. However, we were still big fans of Yezdi and especially Yezdi Road king.

During my first year in college, I bought a Yezdi 250(pre-worshipped at 9k). I always wanted a Roadkng but it was out of my budget.

After Jawa, Classic Legends confirms the revival of BSA & Yezdi-407345_10150694665674042_969308117_n.jpg

Welcome back Yezdi. We are eagerly waiting.
SJM1214 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 15:57   #5
BHPian

They should wait and see how market responds to Jawa and whether nostalgia can beat the Royal Enfield fad before launching other classics like Yezdi. Royal Enfield appeals both young and the old. I doubt whether these classics will have a universal appeal.
Old 19th November 2018, 18:42   #6
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Never knew Yezdi was an Indian brand -

I always thought it had the same origins as Jawa!
The Yezdi was very much an Indian Derivative Brand, derived from Ideal Jawa of Czech Republic. Some of them even had sidecars like the original Jawas did.
The plant was in Mysore. The Maharaja had granted some land to the Irani family for the factory.
Some of the younger members of the Irani family were super seniors of mine, in School.
And most of us, grew up hearing that lovely iconic Yezdi Sound - especially when the bike coasts downhill in 2nd or 3rd gear - that strong, intermittent “Thung” “Thung” exhaust note. Superb!
The Yezdi came in several models - the CL II, the D250 Classic, the Roadking and later (towards the end of the eighties and until the 90’s), they had a Yezdi 350 too.
The Yezdi across all the above models (and the original all steel Royal Enfield Bullet 350 which had its gear lever and neutral finder on the right side and its rear brake lever on the left) were both staples for the Tea and Coffee planting community, right from the early 1970’s onwards until the mid 1990’s, by which time, the shift took place towards the lighter 100cc bikes...
The Rajdoot Yamaha RD350 was almost never chosen for Estate use when it was around in the 1980’s and 1990’s, mostly because it was very heavy on the petrol consumption angle. And in climbing up and down those hills, one needed the Torque of the Yezdi or Enfield engines more than speed. However, some plantations in the 1970’s did try out the Rajdoot 175 cc bike, but quickly moved to Yezdi and Bullet.
Several of my friends actually owned those lovely Yezdi Roadkings and indeed, some of them still do. Sadly most of those bikes as far as I know, are in an inelegant state of disrepair owing to lack of interest/ inclination.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 21:37   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

More or less all small Maruti hatchbacks ( There are quite a few) come with the same petrol engine. K10? And similarly a Maruti Diesel implies 1.3 Fiat Engine.

Mahindra bikes will I guess mostly imply Mojo engines in different looking casings.

Those who want a Yezdi soon would not go too wrong if they self manufactured or purchased a metal Yezdi logo or three and replaced the Java logos.

Why wait for a new Yezdi. The current Java should fulfil the need adequately.

The new Yezdi only implies a manufacturer authorized to use the Yezdi name officially, but for all practical purposes one might just replace the logo on a new Java.

Want the bike to SOUND more Yezdi.. whatever that means go aftermarket with the cans.

Blasphemy? Devilish Thoughts.. well that's me.

I remember Yezdi arguments from my childhood days while my 13 yrs elder brother had a Rajdoot 175. My dad rode a Java for a short while before I was born.

None of us truly want those bikes. We want the modern / retro versions. Swap logos.

Last edited by ACM : 19th November 2018 at 21:42.
Old 19th November 2018, 22:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Those who want a Yezdi soon would not go too wrong if they self manufactured or purchased a metal Yezdi logo or three and replaced the Java logos.
Isn't the look completely different? Roadking for example looks nothing like the Jawa launched now.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 22:23   #9
Senior - BHPian

I remember the pic where Ravi Shastri promoted Road King printed in Sportstar ! There were more of these in Mysuru than REs. My neighbourhood college seniors had these along with their BSA Bonds and what not. No dearth of sound those days.
Old 19th November 2018, 22:31   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like a shock and awe strategy on the premium bike segment. I hope it works. I too remember Yezdi more than Jawa, however it is Jawa that caught my attention with it's nice rounded looks.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 22:38   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't the look completely different? Roadking for example looks nothing like the Jawa launched now.
Yes and No.

I frankly don't like to looks of a later years Yezdi Roadking.

From memory:
Dual exhaust - Tick

Round headlight - Tick. (Yep agree all in that time had round headlights)

Low ride height - Tick
(Compared to RE and Rajdoot).

Black Side Tank pad - Missing - easy to add. Though the tank shape itself is different as also meters.

Frankly Java was before my times. Yezdi was also from a time when I was very young and a Silver Yezdi Screeming away (many times) next to my flat is what my memory of the Yezdi consists of besides the above. I am 44.

For two wheelers I then jump straight to RX100 / Kinetic honda era and nothing else was attractive to me in between.

The launched Javas are very attractive. Yezdi Roadking .. it's a bit like why relaunch a Rajdoot 175?

The same question as asked in the cars thread about the TATA Sierra 3 door large glass rear format. Do we want a Suzuki Samurai as well?

Java is enough.

Last edited by ACM : 19th November 2018 at 22:43.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2018, 23:39   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Classic Legends are on a high after the euphoria and media hype, going ga ga after the launch of the Jawa triplets. The fit and finish of all the three bikes are top class. At the same time, it is hoped that all the enthusiasm translates into bookings and sales.

The retro fever is on in India. No one would have dreamt of such an excitement and jubilation by the enthusiasts even a decade and a half ago, when many Jawas/ Yezdis were still on the roads. These are sadly missed today and the few thousands that survive are mostly with true blue collectors.

However, Classic Legends needs to go for a thorough market research, before embarking on the launch of the brand "Yezdi", as Jawa could cannibalise sales and the vice versa. BSA has a very good brand equity and exports could see the make sailing on smoothly with overseas sales, alongwith domestic demand.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th November 2018 at 23:40.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 09:27   #13
BHPian

Re: After Jawa, Classic Legends confirms the revival of BSA & Yezdi

This could work out well for Mahindra / Classic Legends. The two brands, Jawa & Yezdi would share the engines, mechanicals and save for the slightly tweaked exterior, would exactly be same. That would translate into significant savings, and increased combined sales would help Mahindra / Classic Legends leverage economies of scale in securing lower prices for spares / components/ assemblies from vendors. Later, based on the same engine, and slightly (or maybe majorly) tweaked iterations of the platform, they would do well to offer scrambler and adventure versions of the bike. Perak is already a good looking bobber, and IMO fairly decently priced at ~Rs 1.9L .

This particular segment (300~500cc) is where all the sales are & that is probably why Mahindra choose to target it. The fact that they had a fairly reliable engine in the form of Mojo's liquid cooled FI unit would have saved them a fair amount of R&D, & would've made sound business sense. Now all they need is a Media Blitzkrieg for greater visibility and recall coupled with a robust & responsive dealer network to garner decent sales.

I think their next target will be to launch a ~650cc offering under BSA brand, and take on the RE twins. I'm sure they're already working on it, as is the Bajaj-Triumph combine.

Cheers !

(Article Courtesy : https://news.maxabout.com)

Last edited by Ironhide : 2nd December 2018 at 09:56.
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2018, 11:49   #14
BHPian

Was tempted to post this in that jawa thread but restrained myself. My father owned a 1978 Yezdi, the rebadged jawa model( photos below) bought from a Chennai Racer called Jerome. Rode it for 1.5 lakhs KMS. It had fairing, FFE, dual tone color, white seats We could hear the sound a km away and no need for an horn.

Dad then slowly reverted to stock, change to Rajdoot carburetor for better mileage

That's me on the bike.
After Jawa, Classic Legends confirms the revival of BSA & Yezdi-img20181117115844.jpg
Sridhar K is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 05:35   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think there is more than nostalgia at play here. Consider the family man who wants a (relatively) high-displacement, high-torque, much-quicker-than-average, premium bike. But not something that looks like a wannabe race-bike. And something that has a pillion seat he doesn't have to apologize about every time his family want to use it.

Or in other words, a traditional "motorcycle shape". Right now there is only Royal Enfield that satisfies this need. Jawa is stepping in.

I think any player will do well in this space if they execute well enough and price it sensibly.

Bring on the Yezdi, bring on a smaller CB1100 clone Honda, bring on a smaller XSR Yamaha, bring on a more affordable Triumph. Give RE some competition.
rajushank84 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed