Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2018, 15:53   #1
BHPian

Pre-owned modern classic: Triumph Street Twin vs Ducati Scrambler Icon vs Harley Iron 883

Hello fellow BHP-ians,

I've been part of Team-BHP for the last 7 years and have actively enjoyed reading about various topics of interest. I have also used this forum extensively to make purchasing decisions. I am surprised that I am posting on the forum for the very first time but I can think of no better place than this one to resolve my conundrum.

Quick information: I am in my thirties, 5"6" in height and medium to well built. I started riding bikes from when I was about 14 years old and rode until I was about 28. The bike I owned and rode are Bullet (dad's) --> Suzuki Shogun --> Hero Honda CBZ --> Pulsar 180.

I moved on to cars and my current rides include a Skoda Yeti and Volkswagen GT.

I haven't ridden a bike in the last few years but for an occasional helping of a pal's mean big machine. I have been itching to buy a large capacity bike that I can use occasionally in town and for some weekend getaways, solo and with my partner. No long tours for me at this point. I would like to buy a good pre-owned bike and I have the zeroed-in on the following options, given my stature and requirement.

Option 1: Triumph Street Twin / OTR 9.3L / Apr'18 reg / 2k kms / 6.5L

Option 2: Ducati Scrambler Icon / OTR 8.7L / Jan'17 reg - Mar'16 Mfg / 6k kms/5.3L

Option 3: Harley Iron 883 / OTR 10.5L / Jun'17 reg / 3k kms / 6.4L

I would love to receive feedback from members in this forum on the above bikes to help me decide on the best bike.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st November 2018, 17:56   #2
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pre-owned modern classic: Triumph Street Twin vs Ducati Scrambler Icon vs Harley Iron 883

1) Do test ride the 3 bikes in new format at the showroom if you can't do it with the pre owned ones right now.

2) You are likely to find the Iron ride and gear change to be too rough / stiff.

3) See if you are able to fit well enough 2 up on the scrambler. Also Ducati Service and reliability?

4) Street Twin might work best for you among the 3 you mention. But it look so like the RE Interceptor . The Interceptor itself should be on your list.

5) Alternatively buy a New Vulcan S for a retro cruiser take, in same money range. With better reliability, warranty and comfort. Also ride height is lower and will suite you better.
Only negative: Ground Clearance.

6) If money is not an issue Speedmaster it should be, but will be hard to get pre owned.

Last edited by ACM : 21st November 2018 at 17:59.
ACM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 21:26   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pre-owned modern classic: Triumph Street Twin vs Ducati Scrambler Icon vs Harley Iron 883

On paper, each of the bikes does something well that appeals to different segments of bikers. Which one of them connects with you though, is a different matter altogether. The one that makes the most sense from reviews and youtube videos, may not be the one that you enjoy the most. As ACM suggested, test ride all 3 from the showrooms first. For that money, I would also strongly look at a second hand Triumph Street Triple 675.
neil.jericho is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Agree with test riding bikes at showroom first before checking pre-owned bikes. Also check finer elements of bike at showroom as if you are going to be buying it. This way, you would be well prepared to inspect pre-owned bikes and use it to some extent for price negotiation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
30% depreciation in just 7 months, hope I can find similar deal for Versys650 .
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:18   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

From a design classic perspective I think T100 & 120 are as good as it gets, Triumph themselves calls these modern classics. The Street twin looks close enough and should serve you well given the options you have.

But if design is not much of a deal, I would get the Harley , that's a lot of bike for the money.
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHP-ians,

Option 2: Ducati Scrambler Icon / OTR 8.7L / Jan'17 reg - Mar'16 Mfg / 6k kms/5.3L

One word of advice - since you were off the 2 wheeler wagon for a bit, almost all the bikes you have mentioned are high on power delivery. They reach triple digits like nothing else, so you will have to be very careful about the same.

I can answer this question, as i was in a similar predicament. My past 2 (current past) rides are a C5 and a std 350. And i was looking for a big bike. I checked all Benellis, HDs, Ducatis, but eventually got myself a BonnieT100.

I found the HDs too harsh and loud. And did not have the refinement i was looking for.

The scrambler has a network issue. And also i found it was baking my thighs.

Off the 3 you have mentioned the street twin is a nice comfortable bike with manageable power. I would recommend the same.

cheers,
ac
ac 427 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 15:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow BHP-ians,

I've been part of Team-BHP for the last 7 years and have actively enjoyed reading about various topics of interest. I have also used this forum extensively to make purchasing decisions. I am surprised that I am posting on the forum for the very first time but I can think of no better place than this one to resolve my conundrum.

Quick information: I am in my thirties, 5"6" in height and medium to well built. I started riding bikes from when I was about 14 years old and rode until I was about 28. The bike I owned and rode are Bullet (dad's) --> Suzuki Shogun --> Hero Honda CBZ --> Pulsar 180.

I moved on to cars and my current rides include a Skoda Yeti and Volkswagen GT.

I haven't ridden a bike in the last few years but for an occasional helping of a pal's mean big machine. I have been itching to buy a large capacity bike that I can use occasionally in town and for some weekend getaways, solo and with my partner. No long tours for me at this point. I would like to buy a good pre-owned bike and I have the zeroed-in on the following options, given my stature and requirement.

I would love to receive feedback from members in this forum on the above bikes to help me decide on the best bike.

Thanks in advance.
My pick would be the Street Twin, maybe because I'm a 2015 Bonneville Owner. If you are ok with the plain jane looks and not looking for attention, the Street twin would be a great choice. There could also be Bonnie's available like the one I have but it will not have ABS
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:00   #8
BHPian

Quote:

I was in the same dilemma for the last one year and after looking at lot of used Street twins, was impressed with the bike and decided to buy it new. Was on the verge of booking and then Interceptor happened. Inspite of the vehicles being miles apart what they offer is terms of experience is not different and the difference in price even for a used street twin is huge and did not make sense.

So, fast forward few months, lots of deliberations and riding a broad spectrum of bikes decided on the new continental GT even without riding it. The bike is simply irresistible.

If I have to choose between the 3 options it can be either of street twin or Scrambler scale tilting slightly in favour of Scrambler for the fun you can have with the bike. As for street twin I don’t see it adding much value than the interceptor at 3L. But still like a biker says, you can’t go wrong with any bikes.
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:34   #9
BHPian

Firstly, thanks for your responses, they are very useful. Following are some of my responses to your suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
1) Do test ride the 3 bikes in new format at the showroom if you can't do it with the pre owned ones right now.

4) Street Twin might work best for you among the 3 you mention. But it look so like the RE Interceptor . The Interceptor itself should be on your list.

5) Alternatively buy a New Vulcan S for a retro cruiser take, in same money range. With better reliability, warranty and comfort. Also ride height is lower and will suite you better.
Only negative: Ground Clearance.

6) If money is not an issue Speedmaster it should be, but will be hard to get pre owned.
I have test ridden all the three bikes. I may not have done extensive test rides but smaller ones.

I am keen to buy relatively less run pre-owned bike to take advantage of the reduced pricing. So pricing is important.

I like the Harley's looks but I've heard many complaints about weight and heating. Ducati looks cool, but heat, reliability issues and a nearly 3 year old bike is putting me off.

Street Twin, like both the above bikes is a good fit for my height and stature but I have been reading multiple threads that talk about some niggling issues with electronics, tyres, poor service response and expensive parts. I was trying to get some feedback from members here about this.

I booked the Interceptor on the day it was launched and the 3 Lakh price tag is enticing, but I am not sure if my 5"6" height could bother me in tricky situations (I don't have a problem riding it) and if it can hold its own in terms of feel good over the international machines that I have otherwise shortlisted! Any advise here is also helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
For that money, I would also strongly look at a second hand Triumph Street Triple 675.
I like the street triple though I am not necessarily looking for a high revving fast bike. But more importantly, there are barely any relatively new less run pre-used ones within my 6.5L budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

30% depreciation in just 7 months, hope I can find similar deal for Versys650 .
This is definitely another enticing reason for me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
From a design classic perspective I think T100 & 120 are as good as it gets, Triumph themselves calls these modern classics. The Street twin looks close enough and should serve you well given the options you have.

But if design is not much of a deal, I would get the Harley , that's a lot of bike for the money.
I love the Harley's looks but I am not sure if I like the excessive heat the air-cooled machine generates. My usage will be split between city (35-40%) and weekends (60%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
One word of advice - since you were off the 2 wheeler wagon for a bit, almost all the bikes you have mentioned are high on power delivery. They reach triple digits like nothing else, so you will have to be very careful about the same.

I can answer this question, as i was in a similar predicament. My past 2 (current past) rides are a C5 and a std 350. And i was looking for a big bike. I checked all Benellis, HDs, Ducatis, but eventually got myself a BonnieT100.

I found the HDs too harsh and loud. And did not have the refinement i was looking for.

The scrambler has a network issue. And also i found it was baking my thighs.

Off the 3 you have mentioned the street twin is a nice comfortable bike with manageable power. I would recommend the same.

cheers,
ac
I think the Bonnie T100 may be a little unwieldy for me. Also there aren't any good pre-owned ones that interest me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
My pick would be the Street Twin, maybe because I'm a 2015 Bonneville Owner. If you are ok with the plain jane looks and not looking for attention, the Street twin would be a great choice. There could also be Bonnie's available like the one I have but it will not have ABS
I think ABS is an absolute necessity in India where the general quality of roads is poor and road manners even more so.
HandfulOfHell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 17:48   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As someone else suggested - go to the showrooms and take a proper test ride to see which bike you connect with the most.

In my opinion - if you want a pleasant ride - buy the Street Twin. If you want something wilder - buy the Scrambler. I would stay away from the Harleys - unrefined & not in same class as other two.
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

The service experience feedback in all 3 options you listed will more or less be the same give or take a few owners.

But really what's your riding style so to speak for lack of more accurate words? Do you enjoy relaxed riding with occassional wring on the throttle or you are the laid back slow-mo kinds or the frantic hyperkinetic kinds. City or touring, how often will you ride and is the bike your preferred mode of transport? Is pillion comfort important to you? I think asking these questions to oneself are important as you start talking of putting serious money into a single bike. Which is why everyone is advising about trying all of them and finding out which one you like. Liking is important cause that's what will make you reach for the bike keys over the car keys! Rest is more or less the same trust me. I own a Ducati now and I have had a St Twin and I enjoyed them both. I just was two different people while living with two different bikes. And both were not my first choices - the versys was always more logical to me but I just didn't think i was ready for what it was built to do.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 22nd November 2018 at 18:20.
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 18:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
The service experience feedback in all 3 options you listed will more or less be the same give or take a few owners.
Thanks for your response.

1. What do you mean by, "service exp will remain yje same...." - will the exp be good or bad

2. I used to be a hyper-hynetic rider in my previous life, not any more. However, I would definitely prefer having the power when I need it

3. My idea of owning the bike is to relax with it, solo or with my partner. 40% in-city early morning, late evening, b'fast, icecream ride and 60% weekend rides to nearby places, again solo as well as pillion. I am looking at a bike as a tool to use my biking skills and experience from the past (not everyone has ridden bikes) to open another front to engage myself

4. I keep very busy, so I do not want to constantly have to worry about maintenance and frequent trips to service centers for niggling issues. (ST requires chain cleaning/lubing every 200k and that worries me). I also do not want to keep buying new bikes/upgrading every 2-3 years like a lot of people do.

5. Finally, I am also seeking some street cred from yhe bike I own.

In light of the above, what ate your suggestions? Sorry, if the situation looks like a theory of constraints - it is!
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:30   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think ABS is an absolute necessity in India where the general quality of roads is poor and road manners even more so.
Then, you can rule out one of your 3 picks - Iron 883
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:42   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Then, you can rule out one of your 3 picks - Iron 883
ThebIron 883 that I am currently considering is a 2017 model that comes with ABS and upgraded suspension. How effective is it, is anyone's guess.
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:55   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. What do you mean by, "service exp will remain yje same...." - will the exp be good or bad
I wont speak on behalf of Nilesh5417, but I will throw in my two cents here. Ask around the big bike owners circles enough and you will find that the overall experience across brands will be similar. Most owners will have good to average experiences. But then again this would be for the regular services which involve oil change, air filter change etc. Then there will be a handful of owners who have had some part go wrong which might be tough to diagnose or had a fall and ordered for a part which took 5 weeks to arrive etc. Triumph is usually regarded as a better option in terms of quality of after sales service but Ive seen enough number of owners complain about their Triumphs as well.

Quote:
2. I used to be a hyper-hynetic rider in my previous life, not any more. However, I would definitely prefer having the power when I need it

3. My idea of owning the bike is to relax with it, solo or with my partner. 40% in-city early morning, late evening, b'fast, icecream ride and 60% weekend rides to nearby places, again solo as well as pillion. I am looking at a bike as a tool to use my biking skills and experience from the past (not everyone has ridden bikes) to open another front to engage myself
Based on this, it looks as though you are looking for a good all rounder which mirrors what many big bike owners also want. I would suggest you take a slightly different option and just look at everything in the market in a sub 6.5 L budget. Dont restrict yourself to only modern classics. If I were you, I would look at pre-owned CBR650 (probably most sensible option here), Monster 821, Z800 / Z900 or the Street Triple as well. These are all powerful enough to not outgrow them in a few years as well.

Quote:
4. I keep very busy, so I do not want to constantly have to worry about maintenance and frequent trips to service centers for niggling issues. (ST requires chain cleaning/lubing every 200k and that worries me). I also do not want to keep buying new bikes/upgrading every 2-3 years like a lot of people do.
I dont know of any bike that needs cleaning or lubing every 200 kms. I assume you meant 200 kms and not 200,000 (or K). The thumb rule is usually 500 kms in our conditions.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks