Big (litre class) 42 11.83%
Voters: 355. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2020, 19:33   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Big vs Small Touring Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Regarding downshifting on panic breaking, do we get the time to downshift frantically and use engine braking along with brakes? I use engine braking when I notice a speed breaker late; but in panic situations, like someone crossing the road suddenly, the response time allows only brake usage.
Good question. It depends from situation to situation really but the best thing to do is to practice riding with only engine braking on empty stretches of tarmac and then get comfortable with both downshifting and panic braking. That way when the situation arises, you have all your tools at your disposal.

Also downshifting doesnt always have to be to the first gear, going down by one gear can often suffice in quick braking situations. Brake, downshift, avoid the issue and power out of the situation.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 19:48   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post

I read an article by the famous Shumi which made a ton of sense, not particularly new to most, but written well enough to appease all segment of enthusiasts, me thinks: http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/o...ng-fast-bikes/
Which is why he owns and rides a Multistrada 1200S
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2020, 20:41   #243
Senior - BHPian

When it comes to exploring unknown routes, I would always prefer a bike which is agile and not heavy with such bikes can manage bit of offroading aswel, in today's scenario KTM 390 Adventure makes a lot of sense.

Few things have realized after owning a heavy/powerful bike:- Our road conditions dont need so much power
- Even parking on uneven roads, or on gradient gets tricky
- Go anywhere aspect will be missed
lohithrao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 10:38   #244
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Which is why he owns and rides a Multistrada 1200S
Handful of hyperbikes in the country to clock as many miles as he has on his Multistrada. I recall seeing a post he shared where he mentions that he has clocked 45k km's within 3 years of ownership.

Commendable since he owns several other motorcycles.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 20th April 2020, 10:40   #245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Handful of hyperbikes in the country to clock as many miles as he has on his Multistrada. I recall seeing a post he shared where he mentions that he has clocked 45k km's within 3 years of ownership.

Cheers,
A.P.
You obviously need to broaden your circle if you think only handful of people clock 12-15k kms a year on their big touring bikes
Old 20th April 2020, 11:03   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You obviously need to broaden your circle if you think only handful of people clock 12-15k kms a year on their big touring bikes
Quote:

Cheers,
A.P.
Why don't you guys start riding together? And come back with live true reporting on this big vs small thing? For the sake of this forum, you must.

I am sure it will be fun...for you and for us
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:06   #247
BANNED

Quote:
Coming from a market where you see hyperbikes and even superbikes with less than 10k km's on the odo being sold by the n'th owner I really have't seen many who ride 1000cc+ motorcycles clock high mileage.

The initial 20~30k is a given irrespective of motorcycle class when it comes to enthusiasts but nearing the 50k mark is just about when people realize what they believed until that point aren't the only consumables that wear down in a motorcycle.

I believe that other than bigron's thread I've not spotted anyone else here whose clocked higher figures on 1000cc+ machines, if so please do share, would love to read through the reviews.

Cheers,
A.P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Why don't you guys start riding together? And come back with live true reporting on this big vs small thing? For the sake of this forum, you must.

I am sure it will be fun...for you and for us
What a coincidence, I have something that's been cooking for the past two years.

Not sharing the details here since I prefer to keep things private as done earlier with the GQ ride, but the total distance to be clocked varies between 11~13k km's(Starting from Kerala) and would take a little over 3 weeks to complete.

If you, ethanhunt123 or anyone else with adequate interstate experience is interested then we can make it happen, do PM and I'll share the map links.

Lets make things happen!
A.P.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th April 2020 at 11:20. Reason: Back to back posts.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:24   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey AP, i hate interstate rides man, a big reason why i sold my Versys, and since we are into statistics, after 55k in 3 years. And my rides are more local exploration as opposed to burning fuel on a highway.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 11:26   #249
Team-BHP Support

One aspect which I have observed and makes me [firmly] believe, as to why are ADV's so popular.

Spot any classified of any premium motorcycle, be it a naked or a sports, at max [8 out of 10 times] you will see ~15,000 kms on the odo and spot any GS, Tiger, you will spot most of them have done 20K to ~50K in a span of 3-4 years.

Those who get these bikes, mostly ride as they are much more forgiving in all scenarios where a Sports / Super / Hyper Bike can get on your nerves.
Old 20th April 2020, 11:41   #250
BHPian

Im sure many of us enthusiasts must have watched "Itchy Boots" channel on YouTube.

Quoting from her website "I’m a 32-year old, Dutch, solo-female traveler - currently on a mission to travel the world by motorbike!"

She rides on a Royal Enfield Himalayan. In many of her videos it is pretty clear that in many situations as simple as fixing a puncture/ clutch cable replacement/ clutch plates replacement, one is at a advantage on a simple machine like a Himalayan than on a Multistrada/ BMW GS. Also, her channel is a great pass time for binge watching during lock down. It also answers many questions regarding the reliability of the newer Himalayan. Sadly she is not riding anymore (temporarily) since she had to leave from Peru back to her homeland in Europe amidst the corona virus lockdown.
Leaving a link to her channel below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEI...W9WmYtsOcJBwTg
Old 20th April 2020, 11:43   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I believe that other than bigron's thread I've not spotted anyone else here whose clocked higher figures on 1000cc+ machines, if so please do share, would love to read through the reviews.
Forums don't give a proper picture AP.

Majority of the people who purchase 1000+cc motorcycles don't have the time or patience to write ownership reports.

And it is not relevant to compare superbikes here. They are bought for the weekend coffee day highway runs and not to clock miles. Sports tourers, tourers and adventure bikes do clock decent usage.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th April 2020 at 11:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 12:13   #252
BANNED

Quote:
Hey AP, i hate interstate rides man, a big reason why i sold my Versys, and since we are into statistics, after 55k in 3 years. And my rides are more local exploration as opposed to burning fuel on a highway.
This is why I tell fellow enthusiasts to not take 'The Alchemist' too seriously.

Jokes apart, it is good to know that you have found peace with local pursuits, I've been contemplating retiring from interstate commuting on analogue motorcycles though only after;

1. Clocking 100k on the CT100B.
2. Covering every state in India and nearby places on the CT100B.

It has been my forever dream and at best I have a few more years before my reflexes start to suffer, hence the restlessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
And it is not relevant to compare superbikes here. They are bought for the weekend coffee day highway runs and not to clock miles. Sports tourers, tourers and adventure bikes do clock decent usage.
My bad, at times I tend to go all Indian when it comes to classifying motorcycles and base it on displacement or at times even FE i.e when contemplating the R15 since it offered better FE even at interstate speeds.

And end up totally forgoing the type of motorcycle and the ergonomics related to it.
Old 20th April 2020, 12:30   #253
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This is why I tell fellow enthusiasts to not take 'The Alchemist' too seriously.

Jokes apart, it is good to know that you have found peace with local pursuits, I've been contemplating retiring from interstate commuting on analogue motorcycles though only after;

1. :
No,no, when i mean local pursuits i mean riding to lets say Arunachal and exploring every nook and cranny of the place. The highways are just the means to my end. Thats where a bike like the 390 adventure shines - good enough grunt to rack away the slab and light weight and dual purpose enough to tackle serious trails in the promised lands.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 13:03   #254
BANNED

Quote:
No,no, when i mean local pursuits i mean riding to lets say Arunachal and exploring every nook and cranny of the place.
I know someone who did just about that. A fellow enthusiast from KL who got himself a Tiger and settled down in the mountains up North, prior to that he was commuting between KL and Leh on a frequent basis on his N650.

I hope you get to do that soon, maybe someday in the future when conditions favor me I'd also contemplate such an adventure, though to be honest chances are quite slim.

Anyhow until then I'd be as the Strokers call it "Hauling Ass and Burning Gas" on the highways.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 20th April 2020 at 13:15.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 13:22   #255
BHPian

Quote:
I will gladly pay to see what can only be described as a discovery voyage of epic proportions and at the culmination of said ride neil.jericho will buy a round for everyone at TOIT.

Quote:
The initial 20~30k is a given irrespective of motorcycle class when it comes to enthusiasts but nearing the 50k mark is just about when people realize what they believed until that point aren't the only consumables that wear down in a motorcycle.
I thought this thread was about which motorcycle would you want to tour on and not which one makes financial sense in the long run. If someone buys a motorcycle and derives as much pleasure he/she can and dumping it before it starts getting heavy on the wallet isn't that a smart thing to do ?

Quote:
(Starting from Kerala) and would take a little over 3 weeks to complete.
As soon as its safe to travel and meet elderly folk I am making a trip to your neck of the woods , hopefully will be able to meet you and flag off your trip (For those wondering, my hometown is close to his and by elderly folk I am referring to my in-laws and not AP )

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I beg to differ, our own krishnaprasadgg is happily munching miles on an R1, there are multiple threads of superbikes travelling the length and breadth of the country. Its just like you said, most people don't want to update travelogues.
deepfreak15 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks