Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2019, 11:53   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Wonder if the concern with the Interceptor posture is just me?
+1
I find the interceptor bars too forward placed and pegs placed at awkward position. But its all relative. Someone switching to interceptor from an R15 will find it very upright and comfy posture whereas someone switching from thunderbird will find it sporty and leaning in.

Even with 2" riser, i am not happy. Need to try and get the bars more upright, but that means finding new & longer cables. Let see.

Quote:
Personally I prefer slightly forward bend and slightly rear set foot pegs. For me the Indimotard footpegs was a trial and error to experiment with a new riding posture. I'll be going back to the stock pegs. Particularly on twisties it's more fun to ride the bike with a rear set foot peg. On highways I would miss the forward placed pegs but I'm okay with the trade off.

As to the build quality of the footpegs I liked it. Well finished and sturdy.
I have been eying that greasehouse footpegs for a while and would love to get a more detailed review and comparison with stock, from a neutral point of view. Is it built well where we can stand and ride a bit without any issues? The stock ones foul with leg while crawling in traffic for me, does this work any better? How does it affect the gear shift action and rear braking with respect to lever position and also the feel? Is it too forward placed like Thunderbird? Do they have any bike where one can try it?

Quote:
Installed the BMC air filter and Greasehouse exhaust. Have kept the baffles in place.
Hey, how much more loud it is compared to the stock? loud enough to attract cops attention? Or get irritating for rider as well on longer rides where an ear plug becomes a necessity? How does it vary at various RPMs? Does it POP a lot on de-accelerating? Tors on bonnie did that a lot unless one closed the PAV with a marble. i am looking at a lighter and slimmer exhaust with may be 10-15% louder sound. Would this fit the bill?
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 13:15   #1562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Hey, how much more loud it is compared to the stock? loud enough to attract cops attention? Or get irritating for rider as well on longer rides where an ear plug becomes a necessity? How does it vary at various RPMs? Does it POP a lot on de-accelerating? Tors on bonnie did that a lot unless one closed the PAV with a marble. i am looking at a lighter and slimmer exhaust with may be 10-15% louder sound. Would this fit the bill?
Sir, If you're looking at an exhaust which looks good and sounds good even with the baffles on/off the AEW exhausts are your best bet. They look like S&S, are lighter and slimmer but are a lot cheaper as well, I heard one in person and imo they sound better than all the desi brands out there.

P.S: Not associated to the brand at all.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 14:55   #1563
BHPian

Quote:

Even with 2" riser, i am not happy. Need to try and get the bars more upright, but that means finding new & longer cables. Let see.

I have been contemplating installing the Thunderbird 500 handlebar and using the cable set from TB 500 itself. Will it work? Need to check.

Havent checked the DB level but even with the baffles it is loud. Have not done a long ride, but will check and let you know. I am anxious about the sound on long rides as well.
I found the greasehouse one to be the better sounding exhaust compared to the others and they are the cheaper even compared to AEW (I guess).

Here's a link for reference -

Also I am not associated with greasehouse in anyway.

Regards,
Kaustubh

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 27th December 2019 at 15:21. Reason: added a sentence
kaustubh_vaze is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2019, 19:21   #1564
BHPian

Quote:

I have been eying that greasehouse footpegs for a while and would love to get a more detailed review and comparison with stock, from a neutral point of view. Is it built well where we can stand and ride a bit without any issues? The stock ones foul with leg while crawling in traffic for me, does this work any better? How does it affect the gear shift action and rear braking with respect to lever position and also the feel? Is it too forward placed like Thunderbird? Do they have any bike where one can try it?
Well the foot peg itself is carried over from the stock configuration. Only the mounts or brackets are different. The stock setup has 2 point mount for the brackets where 2 Allen bolts connect it to the frame. So there is a bit of 'unsupported' extension into which the pegs themselves are connected. This in my opinion can cause good deal of vibration/buzz at high speeds. Indimotard one has got 3 point mounts. 2 usual Allen bolts, and it goes inside the circular slot by few mm's on the frame once the caps are removed. May be I could post a pic of the setup than try explaining it with so many words
So theoretically it's more sturdy. But practically I didn't feel the buzz in foot pegs didn't change anyway.

In crawling traffic and while pushing the bike backwards the footpegs are out of way. That's a positive. It's not as forward set as Thunderbird, but more like Classics. With stock setup I felt my seating position caused pressure on groin area which the upright posture resolves. At the same time I believe full upright posture can cause more stress on the back. Slightly arched back works as a shock absorber to some extent.
I didn't notice any difference to gear shifts. Ideally a shift lever like Classsics where you can shift both with toe and heels is better, but I got used to it. But for the rear brake it changes the feel. Stock one has a shorter lever so you'll easily notice the ABS kicking in sandy patches. With the longer lever it 'feels' like that feedback is missing.
And for standing up and riding it's not good. You'll standup awkwardly more towards the front of the bike than ideal. Eg,to get my point compare the standing posture on a Himalayan v/s Classic.
I can PM you once I change back to stock. If you are interested you can pick it up from me, get it installed, use it for some time and see how it goes.
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2019, 03:35   #1565

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
So about 200$ in total. Kinda expensive, but I'm guessing it would be worth it.

It depends what problem you are trying to solve. Determine the sag (both static and rider) values on the stock suspension and then work you way backwards. If the stock suspension's spring rates cannot offer you what you are looking for, then it makes sense to pick a spring with a specific spring rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Go ahead and try them, keep the springs as the very last option. Oil Grade increase might solve your issue partially and you might just learn to live with it.
All of these suggestions seem to solve for compression alone. Thicker oil will render rebound just as hard.

Dialling in the preload is probably the best way to test out what the stock spring have to offer. In fact i have picked up a pair of fork preload adjusters (pic attached below) to just do that. I plan to tinker with them over the weekend; will keep you guys posted of my findings.

Quote:
Do they have any bike where one can try it?

There might be a more affordable alternative instead. Hitchcocks motorcycles have a kit that relocates the footrests much like the generic rearset adjusters used on the track. They look simple enough to even consider getting it made locally.

Link: https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/40215
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-af3eff642fc843618225f1011f53c0f8.jpg  

Last edited by BlackPearl : 28th December 2019 at 03:53. Reason: Trimmed the posts inside quotes for better readability. Thanks
ianuoui is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 08:56   #1566
BHPian

Quote:

Responding to your post - did a good 30 kms in mixed conditions. Heavy traffic, open road, varying speeds -
1. While accelerating it seems much louder, but it seems to taper off as you gain speeds. It does not bother at say 100 kmph even if you are doing it consistently.
2. As I said earlier, bike is lighter
3. Yesterday tried acceleration test - 90 odd kmph in 2nd gear was a breeze with some more breath in reserve. Was not able to do that in stocks. Maybe 80kmph in 2nd on stock filter and exhausts.
Could be weight, could be power gain, don't know.
4. And additionally it does not pop on deceleration. In yesterday's ride it popped just 3 or 4 times maybe.

Last edited by kaustubh_vaze : 29th December 2019 at 09:00. Reason: Spello correct
kaustubh_vaze is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2019, 13:12   #1567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuoui View Post
It depends what problem you are trying to solve. Determine the sag (both static and rider) values on the stock suspension and then work you way backwards. If the stock suspension's spring rates cannot offer you what you are looking for, then it makes sense to pick a spring with a specific spring rate.

All of these suggestions seem to solve for compression alone. Thicker oil will render rebound just as hard.

Dialling in the preload is probably the best way to test out what the stock spring have to offer. In fact i have picked up a pair of fork preload adjusters (pic attached below) to just do that. I plan to tinker with them over the weekend; will keep you guys posted of my findings.

I am just trying to get stiffer front suspension for two reasons:
1. The front does bottom out relatively easily, especially given the vehicle weight.
2. At high speeds the front just doesn't feel solid enough. Needs to be more firm on the road.

Where did you source the preload adjusters from? The quality looks good.

Do keep us apprised of your findings. I am definitely planning to do something with the front suspension in the upcoming months, any direction would be great help.
Old 29th December 2019, 14:04   #1568
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
I am just trying to get stiffer front suspension for two reasons:
1. The front does bottom out relatively easily, especially given the vehicle weight.
2. At high speeds the front just doesn't feel solid enough. Needs to be more firm on the road.
That thud sound which the bike makes on hitting big bumps is ruining the whole experience for me, need a solution asap
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 02:08   #1569
BHPian

I just completed 2100 kms in my first month of ownership. I can hear slight thud sound somewhere from front/ tool kit side when going over rough roads. Planning road trip from TVM to HYD.

I replaced the brake lamps with the Himalayan LED type and I even installed the windshield from Himalayan. I hate the current speedometer with no clock, has anyone tried Himalayan speedometer on interceptor 650 ? Will my odo reading get reset, any pointers will be helpful

Last edited by rahulskumar : 30th December 2019 at 02:14.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 09:08   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post

I replaced the brake lamps with the Himalayan LED type and I even installed the windshield from Himalayan. I hate the current speedometer with no clock, has anyone tried Himalayan speedometer on interceptor 650 ? Will my odo reading get reset, any pointers will be helpful
1. Yes, the odometer will reset. I don't think there's a way around this.
2. The Himalayan's speedo is tuned for a 21inch front wheel, the Interceptor has an 18-inch front wheel.

The Interceptor's design is proper retro with subtle modern touches. While I get that some people wanted more from the instrument cluster, something like a Himalayan's console (with a clock, and a compass!) wouldn't suit the minimalist style of the Interceptor at all.

Neel
petrolhead_neel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 09:56   #1571
BHPian

One more question regarding engine oil level.
As per manual, we need to idle for 2 mins before checking the level. When the bike is idling, I see there is no oil in the inspection window. After 2 mins when I turn off the bike, the level is just below the max mark. When the oil was changed during the first service around 500 kms, the level was a bit above the max when engine was off. Yesterday I did a 450 kms day trip and the temperature during noon time in Cochin was on the higher side, I could feel the engine heat near my right foot while driving inside the city. Usually I am comfortable with the heat when driven at city speed limits. Does oil burn at higher temperature ? How often do we need to top up.

Till date I have never crossed 3500 rpm and the bike is delivering a healthy mileage around 34 during my highway runs. Driving inside Kerala involves plenty of gear shifts. I wish she had a 17 litre gas tank to help negate the city gas mileage

Last edited by rahulskumar : 30th December 2019 at 10:03.
Old 30th December 2019, 10:06   #1572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuoui View Post
The stuff looks real good, do keep us posted on how your experimentation goes. Congrats on your ride, was not aware that you too joined the bandwagon of the twins. Do post some pictures of your bike

Good Luck..
Old 30th December 2019, 10:13   #1573
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahulskumar View Post
One more question regarding engine oil level.
Some oils do tend to vaporize, especially synthetics. Motul's are famous for this.

As for Kerala conditions, I've just ridden my CT100B from TVM to Kasargod and then back clocking 1.3k+ kms in 2 days of riding and I'm yet to observe any drop in oil level, I'm using cheap diesel oil from ENI which is due for a change covering 2.2k km's in total.

So unless this is a recurring instance with different types of oils I'd not think much of it. Also do note that a new motorcycle tends to run hot for a while before settling in, though not too long.

Plus an easy method to check if the motorcycle is burning oil is to run your finger around the inside of the exhaust tip, if its relatively clean and not gooey then all is well.

Cheers!
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 10:40   #1574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
As for Kerala conditions, I've just ridden my CT100B from TVM to Kasargod and then back clocking 1.3k+ kms in 2 days of riding and I'm yet to observe any drop in oil level
Thanks Ashwin, info is really helpful and I will check it out. I had done similar distances 13-14 years back on my TVS victor and my friends Karizma quite frequently and I never bothered to check anything even before my trip. During those days I never knew about engine seizing and other factors which keep me bothering now a days. Victor used to struggle with 2 around the ghats, so we had Karizma for that purpose. I remember driving continuously from Bangalore to Ernakulam so many times and both these bikes never let me down. Just fill it and keep running. Engine oil were changed at 5k kms. Victor was sold around 90K mark just because I went abroad. Both were beautiful bikes enough for my solo trips. Even the seat and handle bar position were never changed. These commuter bikes are really capable when driven within the limits. Even with the Interceptor I will be happy to cruise around 100 mark rather than pushing the limits . Just taking precaution before my TVM-HYD trip.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 30th December 2019 at 10:41.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2019, 11:10   #1575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Na_sh View Post
You can check for the RE Himalayan HL assembly. Seems to be the same unit. Even the Thunderbird projector unit would be a direct fit. You can find a ton of aftermarket options for a 7 inch HL, especially those LED ones.
I prefer halogen it's just warmer and visibility during rains is far better.

On another note my fuel cap appears to have corroded significantly, I"m also noticing water keeps accumulating in the recess around it upon washing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks