Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2020, 12:21   #1636
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by knaveen View Post
This is true for flat belts and v-belts, where the belts are susceptible to slippage. The toothed belt (or) synchronous belts used in motorcycles are highly efficient (slightly more than chain drives as they are lighter and less mechanical friction).

However, as others mentioned earlier the R&D folks at RE know better and it is not wise to change such critical components.
Whichever the type of belt, the power absorbed in continuously bending the belt is lost as heat. Depending on the size of the belt, the power lost can exceed that lost to friction in a roller chain.

Toothed synchronous belt drives are sensitive to alignment. This is the reason that both Harley Davidson and BMW use fixed axles for their bikes with a tensioner pulley. This eliminates any misalignment when the wheel is replaced. The tensioner pulley is spring loaded and moves when the belt moves with the suspension movement.

Synchronous belts can and do break if foreign objects get trapped in the drive. In the H-D and BMW implementations the moveable tensioner pulleys can compensate.

So for these reasons, the belt drive retrofit is not a good idea.

Incidentally, Ather uses 2 synchronous belts between the motor and the wheel instead of a gearbox. Compared to a gearbox or chain, the belt drive is lighter, noiseless and cheaper. Bring part of the design, it is expected to be reliable and problem free.
Motard_Blr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 13:18   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
I think there could be marginal reduction in power and torque. May be not noticible enough in real world riding conditions. No idea on pricing. If someone is looking to buy an Interceptor now, I feel it's a good idea to book a BS6 instead of looking around for a 2019 model.
BS6 Prices (ex-showroom) are out on RE website with no color or feature updates, specifications are not updated yet. Around INR 8.5k increase in prices!
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2020, 22:34   #1638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
No! No!! Not there. Try and reduce weight elsewhere, but handlebar WEIGHTS are given for a reason.
Thanks for responding. What is the reason?
Old 20th January 2020, 23:40   #1639
BANNED

Quote:
No! No!! Not there. Try and reduce weight elsewhere, but handlebar WEIGHTS are given for a reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
They are mainly for vibration damping. Removing it may introduce vibrations during riding.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 11:17   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Yes, mainly for dampening vibrations arising due to engine vibes and worsening due to resonance. Will also help improve visibility in rear view mirror. This article may help:
https://www.bikesmedia.in/reviews/im...d-weights.html
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2020, 13:41   #1641
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for sharing this - they look fantastic! Even though they are custom (for the moment), such options give the potential to cosmetic upgrade versions in the future for sure! But I hope RE also plays around with more proper upgrades than just cosmetic improvements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Btw I'm more interested in the metal green color Interceptor in the background - that would be a sweet color too!
Old 21st January 2020, 19:44   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Hi, this is your guardian angel from the future with a very important message.

Neither you nor 'Legendary Customs' are as equipped as the collective heads of the manufacturers R&D department. A.P.
True such critical component should not be fitted with aftermarket. What surprised me is that they are claiming 44 bhp at wheel vs 39 bhp at wheel for the chain after dyno test.

Pretty expensive too. You can get four chain drive kits (80,000 Kms).
Old 21st January 2020, 22:13   #1643
BHPian

The twins seem to be doing pretty well in the UK!
Cayman360 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2020, 05:38   #1644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
They are mainly for vibration damping. Removing it may introduce vibrations during riding.

Quote:
Yes, mainly for dampening vibrations arising due to engine vibes and worsening due to resonance. Will also help improve visibility in rear view mirror. This article may help:
https://www.bikesmedia.in/reviews/im...d-weights.html

Thank you both for the heads up. The handlebar change was done a few months ago and the (stock) mirrors have not been seen vibrating yet.
Old 22nd January 2020, 11:23   #1645
BHPian

Yesterday I did TVM-Danushkodi solo trip. I did around 850 kms in a day and it was really fun. I misplaced the himalayan windsheld clamps last week and went touring without it. Except for wind blast it was totally fun. The bike just keeps going on without any hesitation even at high speeds.

I removed the top portion of the air filter cover. Guys no need to buy those expensive mounts or cut the cover. When needed we can stick it back. The acceleration was crisp and the overall mileage was around 32. Even after driving throughout the day, there is not a slight difference in oil level. Oil has become dark and I will change around 5K mark. Still 1500kms to go. 10K interval is too much as here oil is also acting as a coolent. HP oil is doing great and need to check how Motul 7100 will perform

Just one more mod needed to make it perfect, need those rectangle rear view mirrors from Avenger. I hate these round mirrors as it does not cover large area.

Last edited by rahulskumar : 22nd January 2020 at 11:29.
rahulskumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 12:30   #1646

Booked a BS-6 Continental GT at the OMR showroom in Chennai back on December 21st. Looks like the bike is ready and being sent for registration formalities shortly, based on which, I should have it by 30/01. Fingers crossed!

I have a couple of questions for the guys here:

1. Is there anyone who's upgraded the stock headlamp bulb to an OSRAM H4 Nightbreaker? Any significant difference from the stock bulb? Would I need to make any additional modifications to get this in? Any other recommendations instead of OSRAM? (Also, I'm not even sure what the stock bulb is right now, so please do let me know).

2. Best RE SVC in Chennai?

3. Apologies if this question has already been answered somewhere else on the forum, but best fuel pumps in Chennai? Somewhere around Adyar, Thiruvanmiyur, OMR or R.A. Puram area?

4. Looking to get an MT Revenge helmet from Motonation in OMR. I was looking at the HJC CL-17 as well, but MotoGear does not have stock and does not expect it before March. I'm open to spending up to 10K on the helmet. Any suggestions? Also, has anyone found a built-in sun-visor on a helmet to be useful?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 27th January 2020, 12:58   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidious View Post
Booked a BS-6 Continental GT at the OMR showroom in Chennai back on December 21st. Looks like the bike is ready and being sent for registration formalities shortly, based on which, I should have it by 30/01. Fingers crossed!
Are you sure about 30/01 delivery for BS6 Sir?

Because my dealer here in Mumbai said the deliveries will not commence before the 3rd week of February for BS6 vehicles.

I have booked a BS6 Interceptor and the dealer confirmed that the bikes will not be allotted to them before 2nd week of February.
Old 27th January 2020, 13:30   #1648

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Are you sure about 30/01 delivery for BS6 Sir?

Because my dealer here in Mumbai said the deliveries will not commence before the 3rd week of February for BS6 vehicles.

I have booked a BS6 Interceptor and the dealer confirmed that the bikes will not be allotted to them before 2nd week of February.
No, I'm not quite sure that I'm getting it on 30/01. I have asked my dealer for the same date, and he has said he will try and get it done.

From what I gather, they are still waiting on the approval for BS-6 from RTO, which they expect sometime around this week. At this point, I'm only hoping and remaining optimistic.
Old 27th January 2020, 14:24   #1649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post

Don't know about Mumbai but the Pune dealerships have received the BS6 twins two days back.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 16:00   #1650
BHPian

Modified Interceptor for Performance and handling.
Quote:
Performance parts on the bike: SS Moto 2x1 stainless steel exhaust. Buy here: http://www.ssmoto.in/Interceptor-650..... (Cost Rs 22,000) Powertronic piggyback ECU with custom map: https://powertronicecu.com/product/po... (Cost: Rs 22,000) DNA air filter with stage 2 plate. Buy here: https://www.facebook.com/SpeedMonks.in/ (Cost: Rs 5,800) Custom 15 tooth front sprocket instead of stock 16 tooth. Buy here: https://www.instagram.com/lowratio4wd... (Cost: Rs 1,100)

Quote:
With the new map, the bike is making 42.7 BHP at the rear wheel instead of 36 that the stock bike makes on the dyne at Race Dynamics in Bangalore. That’s a whopping 6.7 BHP more than the stock bike. And my bike also happens to be 20 kg lighter than the stock bike. This video is a demonstration of how fast it will go and how quickly it gets there. Believe me, if it weren’t for the limiter set at 7,500 RPM, this thing will touch 200 on the speedo, easy.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks