Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th February 2020, 10:17   #1696
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Rider footrests

I would like to move the footrests forward but the IndiMotard kit has had mixed reception. I might have tried it anyway but didn't want to reverse the gear change direction.

The big problem with the footrests position is not the riding position (knees jammed under the tank corners gives good connection with the bike) but footrests getting in the way when feet are on the ground and bike moving. That's not just uncomfortable, it's dangerous. When feet are splayed to go outside the footrests in slow moving traffic, they have less force to balance the bike so greater risk of falling.

A solution is to replace each footrest spring with a friction device. Then the footrest can be pushed into the up or down position as required. The prototype solution has proven very usable. The foot quickly learned ("body memory") to flick the footrest up at slow speed and down as speed increases.

The prototype solution was fiddly to implement on one side and impossible on the other so a better solution giving the same effect is needed. The prototype solution was:
  • Remove the footrest
  • Remove the footrest spring
  • Refit the footrest with an O-ring between footrest and bracket
I'm thinking of making more space for the O-ring by machining (countersinking) the footrest's pivot hole. Expected to be easier/possible to fit the O-ring and to allow a bigger O-ring to be used for more robustness.

Alternative suggestions are welcome.
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 11:14   #1697
Distinguished - BHPian

One potential long term issue that I had brought up for the 650 twins was the availability and pricing of Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp tires for these bikes when it came time to replace them. The discontinued Continental GT 535 had the same sizes at the front and rear (100 / 90 - 18 and 130 / 70 - 18) and had Pirelli Sports Demons shod on them. The replacement tires from Pirelli were hard to come by over the years.

I checked with a Royal Enfield parts distributor and the official pricing of the Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp for the front is Rs 8,499 and the rear it is Rs 8,999. Of course, this price of the tires is higher when we procure it from the company than through the official tire market but I havent seen stocks of the Sportscomp tires in any physical store. Amazon has only the front tire for Rs 7,340 here

If anyone does find the Phantom Sportscomps in stores, please do share pricing details.
neil.jericho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 13:19   #1698
BHPian

Finally got my motone customs aero rack after it being stuck at customs and me finally coughing up the better part of 1000 rupees to get it. Will be fitting it when i next visit kerala before riding to chennai. I have raised a query on the customs duty thread regarding the extra duty i was asked to pay, but was wondering if anyone here has faced similar problems. If yes, any idea if we can probably challenge it, or get a refund? Not at all familiar with the whole customs duty side. Usually stuff that you would buy on amazon either mentions a possible duty in rupee terms that may or may not be levied, but often, the item just ships as is, without any hiccups customs duty wise.
Old 12th February 2020, 14:23   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipmathen View Post
5. The ABS light stays on for 5 minutes after you've started riding, and then goes off. Is this routine?
Mine goes off almost as soon as the bike starts moving; after travelling not more than three meters and reaching not more than five km/h.
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 15:40   #1700
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Some Mods over the last few weeks:
I always wanted raised handle bar for very upright riding posture. First tried Art of Motorcycles handlebar, which was about 1.5" inch taller and an inch wider on either side. This position was better then stock, but i still wanted them higher. Got a 2" riser and used along with stock handlebar, this felt slightly better then AOM handlebar, but i still wanted it taller. I felt ideal position would be if i could have the 2"riser on AOM handlebar, but that would definitely be too tall for stock cables.

Enters our fellow Bhpian LazyGunner (Bhusan) who also runs a nice workshop for Enfields out of Bangalore. He had already done some R&D on the taller bars and cables and agreed to help me with trying to fit AOM handlebar with 2"risers on the interceptor. With much trials, he finally managed to achieve it using TB500 cables for clutch, C5 cables for accelerator and rerouting the brake hose. This new handle bar position is much better and comfortable for my riding. Thanks all to LazyGunner. Would also like to mention a fellow rider from pune - Dilipsingh Bhati, who is made some interesting mods to his interceptor for answering all the silly doubts and queries.

That done, wanted to try offload type pegs for the rider and by the looks of it, felt like Himalayan pegs would be direct fit. Bought a set of Himalayan pegs only to realize they were subtly different in dimensions and would not fit on interceptor, unless modified. So got a new clamp made as per the stock footpeg and got it welded to the Himalayan pegs and it fitted perfectly. These pegs are wider and would help a bit to stand and ride on the broken stretches. I was all happy until last night, where a picture of the broken foot peg holder was shared on the whats-app. Not sure on the reason on how that casted part broke, but if its due to standing a bit on pegs and riding, then I am very scared..

Sharing Pics of these mods including the whats-app image in no particular order.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-02.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-03.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-04.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-05.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-06.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-07.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-08.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-09.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 08:44   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I always wanted raised handle bar for very upright riding posture. First tried Art of Motorcycles handlebar, which was about 1.5" inch taller and an inch wider on either side. This position was better then stock, but i still wanted them higher. Got a 2" riser and used along with stock handlebar
I am also planning for raised handlerbars.
Which 2" riser did you use? Also are the stock cables of sufficient length for 2" riser and stock handlebar?
Old 13th February 2020, 11:17   #1702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am also planning for raised handlerbars.
Which 2" riser did you use? Also are the stock cables of sufficient length for 2" riser and stock handlebar?
I am using 2" Rox Replica risers and intend to replace them with Indimotard's Solid billet risers.

Yes, stock cables will do just fine for 2" riser on stock handlebar. I wanted 2"riser on AOM handlebar hence had to do mods on the cables.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 12:11   #1703
BANNED

Should go without saying, welding foot pegs is not a good idea.

Just sharing so I get to say "I told you so" when the time is right.

Jokes apart, the aluminium sub frame cracking under load is commonplace when riding hard trails. Have seen it happen on quite a few motorcycles, irrespective of manufacturer.

Cheers,
A.P.
Old 13th February 2020, 13:08   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
One potential long term issue that I had brought up for the 650 twins was the availability and pricing of Pirelli Phantom Sportscomp tires for these bikes when it came time to replace them.
Any specific reason you want to stick to Pirellis?
We have many other options for the same spec like Metzeler Lasertec, Timsun, Avon etc.
I know people who are even using Ralco without any issues.
I find the stock Pirellis overpriced for the grip/ performance/ life they offer.
I live in Pune and did inquire at my nearby tyre dealer, they did not have the Pirellis in stock but he said that the tyres can be ordered and can be made available in a couple of days. I do not remember the exact price he quoted but I guess it was around 6500 for the rear.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 14:47   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Should go without saying, welding foot pegs is not a good idea.

Just sharing so I get to say "I told you so" when the time is right.

Jokes apart, the aluminium sub frame cracking under load is commonplace when riding hard trails. Have seen it happen on quite a few motorcycles, irrespective of manufacturer.

Cheers,
A.P.

The himalayan footpeg came welded in a similar fashion. We only removed the old peg mounting bracket, by carefully grinding on the old weld, got another bracket made using same 4mm thickness of CRC sheet, and welded like how it was welded earlier. Infact tried welding it better then how it came. So no additional welds/cuts etc, compared to stock himalayan peg. Sharing a pic of Himalayan stock pegs and after modifying & welding the new bracket, and powdercoating.

New concern is the sub frame. After that pic of of the casted aluminium sub-frame cracking, i will be scared to put load on the pegs. That picture was a forward of a forward so not conclusive if it was broken during a fall, or just by standing and riding. This one is my main worry.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pegs.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 16:51   #1706
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Any specific reason you want to stick to Pirellis?
We have many other options for the same spec like Metzeler Lasertec, Timsun, Avon etc.
I know people who are even using Ralco without any issues.
I find the stock Pirellis overpriced for the grip/ performance/ life they offer.
I live in Pune and did inquire at my nearby tyre dealer, they did not have the Pirellis in stock but he said that the tyres can be ordered and can be made available in a couple of days. I do not remember the exact price he quoted but I guess it was around 6500 for the rear.
Ishan12, just sharing my thoughts on the options you mentioned. Do share your feedback as well, it will be interesting to compare notes.

- Metzeler Lasertec : This seems like a decent option from my research. Ive never been able to find the front and back tire available in physical stores at the same time. IIRC I've only seen the back tire in stores, need to go back and check my notes.
- Timsun : Ive heard good reviews from many riders including some on this forum. I would rate this the best option for all round use from what I see available in the market.
- Avon : Ive got an international magazine lying around from a few years ago where it said that Royal Enfield tested the GT 535 with Avons before launching the bike but found that the tires were not suited for Indian conditions. Ive been wary about Avons since then. It is quite pricey as well.
- Ralco : These are good for more off road biased conditions. I like the pricing! Have you come across any 650s on the Ralcos? Any feedback?

On my GT 535, Ive found that the difference between the Pirelli Sport Demon and the aftermarket options (different sets of Ceats in my case) came down to that last 5 to maybe 10% of grip when you are really pushing it. On track riding, the differences were magnified but these opportunities are few and far between. For regular riding though the Ceats were fine. I am not sure I would trust those same tires on the 650s though. The power output is substantially higher!

The Sportscomps could be a good alternative to the Sport Demons for my bike. Out of academic curiosity, I wonder if the Sport Demons would be good for the 650 twins?

Incidentally, I got an update that the Sportscomps cost Rs 14,500 for the front and rear together.
neil.jericho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 18:47   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure I would trust those same tires on the 650s though. The power output is substantially higher!
My friend recently changed his tires to Ralco, he got both of his tires for Rs. 5500/-
I have a friend who has Sport Demons too.

But i am still unsure on how other tires perform in long use.
amrutmhatre90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 19:04   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Ishan12, just sharing my thoughts on the options you mentioned. Do share your feedback as well, it will be interesting to compare notes.
Metzelers - I havent met anyone personally who has there tyres, but from social media/ reviews on online forums, these seem to be better than the stock Pirellis. Specially wet grip. Also, they are the same spec as the stock tyres on the twins (speed rating too)

Timsun - Have heard only good things about them, but the button type tread pattern does not suit the looks of Interceptor/ GT. Also, they cost almost the same as Pirellis in the market.

Avon - Agree with you, does not seem like a good option.

Ralco - Know 2 people using them on interceptor and have accompanied them on long rides (Pune-Goa/ Pune- Statue of Unity), they both had no issues at all with the tyres, be it riding at 120+ or cornering on the twisties. You may need to add a spacer in the front mudguard since the tread pattern is deep. But again I don't like the looks of these button type tyres.

And yes, Sportscomp are certainly better than sport demons, we had a rider with us in rider mania on sport demons on Int 650, was not happy with them. As per him the grip levels are inadequate for the 650s and the tyre life is way too short.

Last edited by ishan12 : 13th February 2020 at 19:06.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 13:23   #1709
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
The himalayan footpeg came welded in a similar fashion. We only removed the old peg mounting bracket, by carefully grinding on the old weld, got another bracket made using same 4mm thickness of CRC sheet, and welded like how it was welded earlier. Infact tried welding it better then how it came. So no additional welds/cuts etc, compared to stock himalayan peg. Sharing a pic of Himalayan stock pegs and after modifying & welding the new bracket, and powdercoating.

New concern is the sub frame. After that pic of of the casted aluminium sub-frame cracking, i will be scared to put load on the pegs. That picture was a forward of a forward so not conclusive if it was broken during a fall, or just by standing and riding. This one is my main worry.
Motocaan, a company based in Belgaum, makes some very nice pegs for the Interceptor. I have them on mine. It's a straight fit.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2020, 14:25   #1710
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Motocaan, a company based in Belgaum, makes some very nice pegs for the Interceptor. I have them on mine. It's a straight fit.
I checked on their site. What they have is basically a metal serrated top part which replaced the rubber on the stock pegs. This top part is held in position with two screws from bottom. Let me know if this is how it is or otherwise.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks