Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2020, 11:24   #1951
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
There are some helpful videos on Youtube, readily found by searching for AEW TE201
Thanks!Have seen & heard them but somehow i can make out how loud it would be in real life. I had bought an expensive Akrapovich in the past by hearing it online and in person found it to be a bit too loud. Had tough time selling it.

Quote:
Loudness. I enjoy the sound but not its effect on people who don't
Could you elaborate a bit more? Compared to stock, how loud are the new pipes at idle, at 3000 rpm and at 5000 rpm.

Quote:
After fitting the AEW TE201 as reported in https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4854651 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin) in this thread, the engine started pinking/knocking/pre-detonating (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking) around 3,000 to 5,000 RPM on heavy throttle.
What and how exactly is this knocking/pre-detonating sound and feel? After-market free flow pipes do cause popping and burbling, especially while de-accelerating and thats normal. Do explain a bit in detail.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2020, 13:34   #1952
BHPian

Me too am very interested in getting the easy clutch. Will speak mr madhan. Is it a straight fit or do we need to go to the service center to get it done?
Old 3rd August 2020, 15:28   #1953
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek View Post
Me too am very interested in getting the easy clutch. Will speak mr madhan. Is it a straight fit or do we need to go to the service center to get it done?
If you are a DIY person, this won't take more than 15 min. The unit comes with instructions for installation
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 12:08   #1954
Distinguished - BHPian

I spotted these Yoshi replica slip ons on a brand new GT 650 here in Cochin. The weight loss is supposed to be substantial. The price of this was quoted as Rs 14,000 though I hear others have purchased it elsewhere in Kerala for Rs 17,000. From a couple of different sources, the sound is supposedly to be pretty good as well though I didnt hear it myself.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20200803_161729.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20200803_161734.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20200803_161645.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20200803_161813.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20200803_161713.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 12:36   #1955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Could you elaborate a bit more? Compared to stock, how loud are the new pipes at idle, at 3000 rpm and at 5000 rpm.

What and how exactly is this knocking/pre-detonating sound and feel? After-market free flow pipes do cause popping and burbling, especially while de-accelerating and thats normal. Do explain a bit in detail.
At idle and 3000 RPM with no load the AEW TE201 silencers are about the same as stock, maybe quieter. Under any other conditions the loudness is subjective so I don't want to mislead by being more precise than I have already been

The knocking/pre-detonating is knocking/pre-detonating not popping or burbling. They are heavy sounds from within the engine, not from the silencers. As already written it should be an ICU issue. I will report after reverting to the stock silencers
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 12:46   #1956
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I spotted these Yoshi replica slip ons on a brand new GT 650 here in Cochin. The weight loss is supposed to be substantial. The price of this was quoted as Rs 14,000 though I hear others have purchased it elsewhere in Kerala for Rs 17,000.
These slippons clean up the bike very well. Apart from looks and weight saving, these should also help with chain maintenance. Chain cleaning is a royal pain with the stock bazookas.
I am myself waiting for good 2into1. TEC bike parts is working on one. Am hoping it is not priced too exorbitantly.

timuseravan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th August 2020, 17:45   #1957
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post

The rear now sports a 150/70-18 (TS 659A) and the front is 120/80-18 (TS 659). I've gone back to tubes and used the existing tubes that I had. I wanted to get the 120 section tube for the rear, but the multiple tire shops that went to didn't have stock of them. I also put in tyre sealant in the tubes as well in the hope that it can prevent punctures.
Hi Snehal,

Was going through the thread after a really long time. Sorry to hear that Outex didn't work out. After observing damage on beading of the tyre, did you consider checking if Outex was working fine after all? Or any other reason to revert to tubes even after seeing that tyre was damaged and possibly caused air leak?
Old 5th August 2020, 09:31   #1958
BHPian

Hi guys, I’m looking to get aftermarket exhausts for my interceptor. My requirements is unlike most others, I want the silencers to be SOFT sounding! Have heard of RR, AEW, Gursewak and S&S. All of them are loud and that’s not what I want. Any suggestions please?

Also does anyone have a speedo/tacho conversion chart for our bikes?

Also my first service is coming up, and I’m not comfortable using the engine oil provided by the company. Will it void my warranty if I use Liqui Moly or any other brand of oil? It’s my bike and I should be able to use whatever oil I feel like! As long as it’s the same grade, how should it matter to the RE guys?

Anyone running either Putoline or Liqui Moly can you please give your experience?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th August 2020 at 10:40. Reason: Please type out complete words, avoid using SMS language.
derek is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 5th August 2020, 11:09   #1959
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, I’m looking to get aftermarket exhausts for my interceptor. My requirements is unlike most others, I want the silencers to be SOFT sounding! Have heard of RR, AEW, Gursewak and S&S. All of them are loud and that’s not what I want. Any suggestions please?
Your best bet is to buy a bunch of simple ear plugs from Amazon. It cuts out a lot of outside noise including wind.

Quote:
Also my first service is coming up, and I’m not comfortable using the engine oil provided by the company. Will it void my warranty if I use Liqui Moly or any other brand of oil? It’s my bike and I should be able to use whatever oil I feel like! As long as it’s the same grade, how should it matter to the RE guys?

Anyone running either Putoline or Liqui Moly can you please give your experience?
The service centers dont allow you to bring your engine oil for to be used at the time of service. It is what it is. To retain your warranty, you will have to ask them to do the service with the RE engine oil and then buy a filter over the counter and then drain out the RE engine oil and use Liqui Moly / Motul / any third party oil at a FNG or do it yourself. You will end up incurring double the cost for a small improvement.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 12:57   #1960
BHPian

Quote:
Your best bet is to buy a bunch of simple ear plugs from Amazon. It cuts out a lot of outside noise including wind.
I don’t know what to make of this statement. Was it sarcastic or honest? Anyways ear plugs solve a different purpose, my query is different. I want a pair of aftermarket exhaust that are soft. Wearing earplugs during riding is dangerous if you ask me.

Quote:

The service centers dont allow you to bring your engine oil for to be used at the time of service. It is what it is. To retain your warranty, you will have to ask them to do the service with the RE engine oil and then buy a filter over the counter and then drain out the RE engine oil and use Liqui Moly / Motul / any third party oil at a FNG or do it yourself. You will end up incurring double the cost for a small improvement.
Fair enough. So basically it’s just a small improvement and not really worth the hassle? I’ll drop the idea unless someone pops up saying yes third party quality oil is absolutely worth it on the interceptor! Thanks!

Last edited by vb-saan : 5th August 2020 at 14:42. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Please use multi quote option when replying to multiple posts.
derek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 13:37   #1961
BANNED

Quote:
I don’t know what to make of this statement. Was it sarcastic or honest? Anyways earplugs solve a different purpose, my query is different. I want a pair of aftermarket exhaust that is soft. Wearing earplugs during riding is dangerous if you ask me.
IMHO, most aftermarket exhausts were developed so they are slightly louder, throaty/raspy over the OEM ones.

The OEM exhausts are softer on the ear in terms of decibel levels so I'm not sure if there will be an aftermarket setup that is even more silent than the OEM silencers.

Quote:
Your best bet is to buy a bunch of simple earplugs from Amazon. It cuts out a lot of outside noise including wind.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 14:14   #1962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don’t know what to make of this statement. Was it sarcastic or honest? Anyways ear plugs solve a different purpose, my query is different. I want a pair of aftermarket exhaust that are soft. Wearing earplugs during riding is dangerous if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
IMHO, most aftermarket exhausts were developed so they are slightly louder, throaty/raspy over the OEM ones.

The OEM exhausts are softer on the ear in terms of decibel levels so I'm not sure if there will be an aftermarket setup that is even more silent than the OEM silencers.
A4anurag has explained it well. The stock exhausts are designed to appeal to all and offend none while meeting all regulatory norms for decibel levels. Now, for those who want a louder exhaust or one with more character that brings out the twin cyclinder engine's best, there are a bunch of after market options like S&S, TEC, RRP, AEW etc. I am yet to come across any after market player that makes an exhaust for any motorcycle that sounds softer than the OEM exhaust.

Now, onto the problem at hand, given that you want the exhaust on your bike to sound softer, you have two options
1. Tinker with the OEM exhaust in the search for a quieter sound or
2. Reduce the level of sound that enters your ears while on the bike

Option 1 is usually not recommended. Hence you are left with option 2 which is ear plugs and / or a good helmet that provides good level of padding and cuts down both wind and noise that comes in from around the cheeks. A good helmet that should be able to meet that criteria will cost you around say Rs 8,000 onwards, the sky is the limit from there. Or you could use a Rs 15 earplug made by 3M which will reduce and not eliminate the sound that you hear, including that of the exhaust. It will also help reduce hearing loss that accumulates over time for motorcyclists.

Quote:
Fair enough. So basically it’s just a small improvement and not really worth the hassle? I’ll drop the idea unless someone pops up saying yes third party quality oil is absolutely worth it on the interceptor! Thanks!
The thing is that the engine oil provided by Royal Enfield is pretty good. You could spend between Rs 3 to 5K to replace the engine oil (depending on the brand) with an after market one but is it worth the money? That is a call that you should take. If I were you, I wouldnt bother with it and I would keep that money aside for accessories or upgrades.
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 15:43   #1963
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also my first service is coming up, and I’m not comfortable using the engine oil provided by the company. Will it void my warranty if I use Liqui Moly or any other brand of oil?
There are two other companies-Motowings and Powerage that sound somewhat lesser than the above mentioned ones, do give them a try as I found them to be quite decent.
On the engine oil front, RE provided oil (Elf) for the Interceptor is completely different from the ones that are used for the other bikes in their stable (Hindustan Petroleum) hence will be good. Will suggest you to stick to RE issued engine oil to avoid any complications for warranty claims
rakesh_r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2020, 19:34   #1964
BHPian

Quote:
Now, onto the problem at hand, given that you want the exhaust on your bike to sound softer, you have two options
1. Tinker with the OEM exhaust in the search for a quieter sound or
2. Reduce the level of sound that enters your ears while on the bike
I dont want to reduce ambient sound. Neither do I not like the stock sound. I’ve got a decent helmet that takes care of wind noise. I like hearing the exhaust sound. Just that a lil softer with a little purrrr was what I wanted. Never mind. I’ll stick to stock for now. Bikes not even done 400 kms yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
There are two other companies-Motowings and Powerage that sound somewhat lesser than the above mentioned ones, do give them a try as I found them to be quite decent.
On the engine oil front, RE provided oil (Elf) for the Interceptor is completely different from the ones that are used for the other bikes in their stable (Hindustan Petroleum) hence will be good. Will suggest you to stick to RE issued engine oil to avoid any complications for warranty claims
I’ll just take your advice and stick to the one they use. Thanks for the heads up!

And will also look at the motowings and powerage pipes in the meanwhile.

Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 5th August 2020 at 20:10. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 6th August 2020, 17:14   #1965
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Wearing earplugs during riding is dangerous if you ask me.
Not Really. Contrary to popular notion, ear plugs designed for motorcyclists are pretty important tool to save us from hearing loss and related issues in the long run. It is recommended to wear them but somehow, this is not caught-up in India. Well designed ear plugs are meant to cut NOISE and not all the sound. We do hear them at the reduced level. And wearing earplugs is not about how loud the bike or its exhaust is, but all about the wind blast. At 100 kmph, the wind noise starts causing slow hearing damages after 10-15 mins into the ride. Quoting from an article "Even the most expensive helmet you can buy (probably the $4,000 Arai RX-7V) won’t protect your hearing from the 115 or more dB riding a motorcycle at 70 mph can generate. At those levels, it can take less than 15 minutes to cause permanent damage."

There are plenty of information online, and some from reputed international sites. Do check them out.
https://www.triumphmotorcycles.co.uk...-motorcyclists
https://lifeatlean.com/motorcycle-ear-plugs/
https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/motorcycle-ear-plugs
https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...g-hearing-loss
https://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/im...ion-ear-plugs/
https://www.earpeace.co.uk/blogs/blo...r-ride-without

Sorry for deviating from the topic. I have personally used ear plugs and on longer rides, find it to help reduce fatigue greatly.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 6th August 2020 at 17:19.
nasirkaka is offline   (8) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks