Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2020, 13:41   #2221
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
nasirkaka, can you share some pictures of the installation as well? Also, is the 35mm height rise the recommended setting from Way2Speed? Or can you install it at the same height as the OEM setting. The reason why I am asking is that if the height is kept the same, then you can get a direct before and after comparison and then if you change the height you can get another reference point for comparison. Also, do you feel any difference while cornering?

Even though 35mm is not a huge increase, as you rightly pointed out, it will tilt the weight balance slightly more towards the rear which in turn will highlight the issues already present with the OEM suspension. I look forward to your updates from your friends who are riding stock 650s and can get a feel of your bike's new ride and handling capabilities.
I got the suspension upgrade done at a RE service center where i could only witness the work from a distance through a glass window. So could not take any pics. 35mm is total height. 10mm extender is to be used on the dampner rod which increases the suspension travel by 10mm. Rest 25mm is at triple tree and up to the user and not mandatory. Raising the front end will effect cornering, but i an not very fast at corners do did not notice much difference. I also tried leaving the hand to check for the infamous handlebar wobble at various speeds but thankfully did not encounter any wobble. My main aim from the suspension change was to improve the ride quality over bad roads, which is definitely improved. This is something which can only be experienced and difficult to explain.
nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th October 2020, 13:54   #2222
BHPian

We have a dedicated Fuel Additives thread (The Fuel Additives Thread) where there is extensive discussion on fuel. Normal vs. speed/power etc.

Also since the bike runs on low compression ratio of 9.5:1, it takes low octane fuel without any fuss as long as fuel quality is not suspect.

I have tried all combination of speed, normal fuel, normal fuel with iftex, there is not difference in the three as I stick to COCO pumps in Noida or trusted pumps in Delhi.

AFAIK both normal and premium fuels are now 91 RON.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
I have searched and found no thread to be of help, since most of them speak of personal preferences and nothing more, therefore I decided to ask this here.

Between Speed and normal petrol which would you recommend for the bike. I've been filling Speed for a while. Also please tell me why one type of fuel is preferred over the other. Thanks!

The sticker fits perfectly on the cowl. It looks really good!
setuniket is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 09:02   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
We have a dedicated Fuel Additives thread (The Fuel Additives Thread) where there is extensive discussion on fuel. Normal vs. speed/power etc.

Also since the bike runs on low compression ratio of 9.5:1, it takes low octane fuel without any fuss as long as fuel quality is not suspect.

I have tried all combination of speed, normal fuel, normal fuel with iftex, there is not difference in the three as I stick to COCO pumps in Noida or trusted pumps in Delhi.

AFAIK both normal and premium fuels are now 91 RON.
Thanks! I'll take a look at the thread.

I'm about to clock 1000km on my bike and everyday she feels so much more better to ride. Thank you all for your advice and suggestions!
Old 11th October 2020, 07:32   #2224
BHPian

Has anyone tried installing the re bar end mirrors on the interceptor? If yes, do guide me. I'm thinking of buying those.
Old 11th October 2020, 09:13   #2225
BHPian

Got the bike washed recently, they used a pressure wash because there was a lot of muck after the monsoons. I was not comfortable with the idea, and just as I suspected, the engine light came on yesterday while on a short ride. I’ve left it overnight and plan to see how it pans out. I’m hoping it’s because some water got into a sensor or some such. The light came on a few days after the wash though, and the bike has been running fine up till then. Has anyone got any guesses what it could be?
The Enfield brand owned service centre is in Cochin, so was wondering if I should ride there next week and get it checked there(70 kms away), since I am not sure if the one at my town is dependable.

Last edited by philipmathen : 11th October 2020 at 09:14. Reason: Typo
philipmathen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 10:35   #2226
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rituj View Post
Has anyone tried installing the re bar end mirrors on the interceptor? If yes, do guide me. I'm thinking of buying those.
I have them on my Gt and i would advice against them, the reasons are :
1. They are way overpriced
2. The field of view is very poor as they are plain mirrors instead of convex mirrors, so they aren't useful.
3. They scratch very easily, i am talking about the mirror surface.

Instead go to a local accessories shop and get from there or look at ali express.
yesyeswe is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 11:20   #2227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
My main aim from the suspension change was to improve the ride quality over bad roads, which is definitely improved. This is something which can only be experienced and difficult to explain.
How much exactly is the handle bar raised? Do you also have handlebar risers in addition?
And is there any pan for rear upgrade as well?

Do keep us posted about updates. I am extremely interested in improving suspension for my INT.
Old 11th October 2020, 19:27   #2228
BHPian

Hi fellow Bhp-ians, I have made a booking for the INT 650 Baker express just last week, I am now passing through the agonizing waiting period, hence wanted to pen down a little of the background.

Off-late since the last couple of years or so, I have moved office and moved home, now a commute distance is around 38Kms one way, so 6 days of the week is spent on my trustworthy i20. But sometime mid last year I got my hands on a rarely used Benelli TNT300 for a mouth watering price from a very trustworthy pre owned car n bike shop here in Kolkata at Baguihati by the name Cars N Bikes. So now, late 2019 and early 2020 I ended up spending about 2 or 3 days a week riding the Benelli to office, and was pretty much enjoying the attention of fellow bikers on each traffic signal. Soon I started to realise the attention from fellow riders remained the only motivation for my rides, since the initial excitement had fizzled out, due to the riding position. I'm 5ft 6in and nearly 80Kgs, and riding the TNT for 1.5hrs in city traffic began looking daunting, so slowly I moved back to 5 or 6 days a week car ride post lockdown opening. But then the traffic condition in Kolkata post June-July 2020 started getting unbelievably ugly with numerous newbies on motorbikes riding the right lane and mid lane in speeds of 30-40ish with no idea of road manners or the basic rules at all. This has made my car ride to office become a nightmare 2 hour one way ride. Making me often looking towards the Benelli for my commute. Now I started really contemplating moving to a better comfortable ride, and on 30th September Honda announced the exciting Highness CB350. I started discussing about this with a couple of biker friends, and one of them just went mad at me, like "how on earth do you think of downgrading from a twin to a single cylinder machine?" I was quite taken back by that, and told him straight, I do not have enough savings for a big bike right now, and I don't see anything coming close in my budget. He suggested the INT 650 and asked me to take a TD without thinking twice. Although I have ridden the INT 650 a couple of times and have loved it thoroughly, just that I could not convince myself regarding reliability of the parts in the long, having had two TBTS over the past 10 years.
Then I started reading up reviews and asking friends, all of which in unison came up with a resounding confidence on the INT650 and super reliability from RE point of view on this machine. Now I was fairly convinced, and took my TNT to the Cars N Bikes dealership for a valuation and I was surprised to get a close to expected value, immediately I handed over the keys, and started asking if they could speed up the wait period on the INT650 somehow by talking through their channels in any of the dealerships in Kolkata. He spoke to one of the shops who promised delivery in 3 weeks time max. This was a verbal communication over phone though. I visited the dealership without any reference and they gave me a casual 2 month wait period, and seemed they are not very interested in a potential customer who is willing to put down full down payment. Anyways, back to the Cars N Bikes guy, one more phone call, and I made the booking by paying the advance amount through IMPS and shared the receipt, the booking was confirmed by them in 10 minutes.

Now I am going through the agonizing wait period, which I frankly think will stretch beyond 3 weeks. Everyday whenever I am not working, I am on T-Bhp browsing through experiences, and have summed up the minor mods I will be making immediately which I want to list down here, all fellow Bhp-ians please suggest anything more.
1. Short Fly Screen Kit
2. Compact Engine guard
3. Aluminium Sump guard
4. Maybe a better seat from Safari seats or the GT touring seat since I ride about 1 to 1.5 hours one side a day, so certainly this is a must
5. Auxbeam H4 LED bulb

Sorry for the longish writeup about booking, I promise to add to my best of possibility a nice ownership thread as I go into the ownership of my ride. Hope to kill this wait period with minimum pain with the help of Team-Bhp.

Cheers!
Arpan
arpanjha is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 19:28   #2229
BHPian

Hi folks!

Just got my Interceptor (Baker Express) home this Friday evening and kicked off the running in with a short 130km breakfast ride with friends.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-interceptor.jpg

Short background: This is my third motorcycle having owned Yamaha FZ (Reviewed here) and Benelli TNT300 before. Sold off the Benelli in December last year fully confident and sold on the KTM 390 Adv. The low end was a downer and then lockdown happened. post lockdown, a bikeless me loaned a good friend's interceptor for short breakfast rides and over 500-600km that i rode it (over several breakfast rides ofcourse) it grew on me.
Long story short - it was a brain vs. heart decision and this being about bikes, went with the heart
My RE owner friends joy and devilish smug grins knew no bounds that the lifetime RE troll was getting an RE himself

Cut to booking and delivery experience, went with Electronic City Motors near Kudlu gate and the experience has been the best so far. Booked the bike on 29th Aug with a waiting of 30-45 days, got the bike on 9th Oct with registration done (bike had arrived on 27th Sep itself). Got the compact crash guard and sump guard (RE Original) installed before delivery itself and then rode home with wifey in the evening rain (seems to be becoming quite a ritual as the Benelli also came home in the rain!), did a small puja, photo sessions and sweet eating ceremony!

Taking delivery
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-taking-delivery.jpg

Yours truly
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-me-int.jpg

and then wife
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-wife-bike.jpg

and then Dad and daughter (both mine)
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-papa-piku.jpg

Is that funny or is that funny?
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-funny.jpg

Went on a short 60km breakfast ride with friends the next morning to a hill near Kolar. Really nice peaceful place to spend time (hence not sharing the actual name of the place). Took some photos and returned.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-temple-parking.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-temple_bikes.jpg

and washed up post ride
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-washed.jpg

Having ridden a 2019 Aug-Sept BS4 Int extensively and now mine BS6, below are some observations and changes I could figure out after 120km.

1. Seat seems much firmer (might be just a new seat effect) and slightly more comfortable
2. As someone mentioned here earlier, the fork gaiters are now std equipment and come factory fitted! Yay! I REALLY loved gaiters on this bike but didn't want to get the front end dismantled for just the gaiters . Well, problem solved! My friend is jealous.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-gaiter.jpg

3. The clear lens headlamps seem straight lift from the Himalayan with a different housing. The headlamp now has a LED position lamp but the headlight still remains ON if Ignition is ON. Would have made so much sense if the main lamp was linked to the Engine Kill switch and only the Pilot stayed ON with Kill Switch OFF. The friend wants the new lights now.
4. The left footpeg bracket seems to be fixed for a much tighter fit

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-footpeg.jpg

5. Rear brake lever seems closer to crankcase
6. The plate under right "Interceptor" panel that holds the tool kit and seat release seems to be changed from metal to plastic.
7. "Mexican wave" inspired fuel gauge seems to be fixed
8. Exhaust sounds a bit more punchier, like a tight bass effect.
9. Alignment symmetry of exhaust cans seems pretty much resolved.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-exhaust-top.jpg

Attachment 2066201
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-exhaust-rear.jpg  

iamgyan is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 20:18   #2230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much exactly is the handle bar raised? Do you also have handlebar risers in addition?
And is there any pan for rear upgrade as well?
I can't precisely answer how much the handle bar is raised, but its lots for sure. Let me try. I use 2" handlebar riser along with an after market tall handlebar which is claimed to be taller than stock by 1.5". So combined i gain approx 3.5" of handlebar rise. Now, the suspension mod is further added height. The dampner rod extender is increased suspension travel by 10mm, plus i have also raised the front end at triple tree by about 15-20mm. So all in all my handlebar height is up from stock by about 4.5" (115mm). sharing a pic below from this morning, not sure if the taller front end is apparent.
I went for a short ride of about 250 kms this morning, and the front end felt much more composed and comfortable. Am happy with how the suspension mod is helped the bike. And yes, as the front end is improved, the shortfall is the rear is much more pronounced now. I would love to try and improve the rear suspension, but dont really see any options out there. The YSS and Ohlins are just too expensive to even consider.

Quote:
Hi fellow Bhp-ians, I have made a booking for the INT 650 Baker express just last week, I am now passing through the agonizing waiting period, hence wanted to pen down a little of the background.
Welcome to baker express gang.
Quote:
Now I started really contemplating moving to a better comfortable ride, and on 30th September Honda announced the exciting Highness CB350. I started discussing about this with a couple of biker friends, and one of them just went mad at me, like "how on earth do you think of downgrading from a twin to a single cylinder machine?" I was quite taken back by that, and told him straight, I do not have enough savings for a big bike right now, and I don't see anything coming close in my budget. He suggested the INT 650 and asked me to take a TD without thinking twice. Although I have ridden the INT 650 a couple of times and have loved it thoroughly, just that I could not convince myself regarding reliability of the parts in the long, having had two TBTS over the past 10 years.
Do not listen to such friends who go mad over upgrades and downgrades without putting practicality into consideration. Not at all questioning your selection of Interceptor 650, but the way you have described your requirement and having experienced Kolkata traffic myself, i think the CB350 ( from whatever we have seen and heard of it so far) seems like a much better bike suited for the requirement. Interceptor is not the ideal bike for traffic heavy city commuting. Its heavy, its heats, the ergonomics (esp the footpegs) foul at crawling speeds. Ofcourse anything is possible and there are people commuting on super bikes as well, but may not be the right choice of weapon for the chosen battlefield. Why i brought this point was that there are a lot of people with the mindset that its criminal to DOWNGRADE from a multi cylinder to single cylinder, and relate it to status and what not, forgetting the intended use.
For your accessories, short or long fly screen is more for aesthetics then wind protection. Safari seat is really nice, but the quality of their initial base plate was very bad. Not sure if they have improvised.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201011_094748.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 13:05   #2231
BHPian

Quote:

Welcome to baker express gang.
Do not listen to such friends who go mad over upgrades and downgrades without putting practicality into consideration. Not at all questioning your selection of Interceptor 650, but the way you have described your requirement and having experienced Kolkata traffic myself, i think the CB350 ( from whatever we have seen and heard of it so far) seems like a much better bike suited for the requirement. Interceptor is not the ideal bike for traffic heavy city commuting. Its heavy, its heats, the ergonomics (esp the footpegs) foul at crawling speeds. Ofcourse anything is possible and there are people commuting on super bikes as well, but may not be the right choice of weapon for the chosen battlefield. Why i brought this point was that there are a lot of people with the mindset that its criminal to DOWNGRADE from a multi cylinder to single cylinder, and relate it to status and what not, forgetting the intended use.
Thank you for your quick and honest take. Now regarding the utility of the motorbike, although my ride is in heavy Kolkata traffic, but most part of it is on the EM bypass and the flyovers, so not much of a stop-go traffic, just a long one, and I need to cross a busy airport crossing which takes ages on the car in recent times. So, I feel the INT will be OK, but yes the Honda would have served better. Now kicks in my personal preference, I am 35 now, and fast reaching the mid age crisis, so maybe this machine will draw me out somewhat from the work load, and on a few weekends may give me inspirations for the occassional solo rides. And yes, this wont be a daily commuter for me, say 3 days a week.
Old 12th October 2020, 14:17   #2232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your quick and honest take. Now regarding the utility of the motorbike, although my ride is in heavy Kolkata traffic, but most part of it is on the EM bypass and the flyovers, so not much of a stop-go traffic, just a long one, and I need to cross a busy airport crossing which takes ages on the car in recent times. So, I feel the INT will be OK, but yes the Honda would have served better. Now kicks in my personal preference, I am 35 now, and fast reaching the mid age crisis, so maybe this machine will draw me out somewhat from the work load, and on a few weekends may give me inspirations for the occassional solo rides. And yes, this wont be a daily commuter for me, say 3 days a week.
Interceptor is no doubt a great bike, and like i said, not questioning your choice at all. You will definitely enjoy it. What caught me was that people blindly make sweeping statements about downgrading as if its demeaning. For eg, i downgraded from a twin cylinder versys 650 to a single cylinder 310GS and i have had much more fun on this bike and taken it to places where i would not have dared taking the versys. All boils down to intended use. Int 650 is a great bike especially to slowly build around and personalize it. Its does not feel like a bike from RE in a good sense, so you dont have to worry about equating it to your previous experiences with thunderbirds.
nasirkaka is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 16:08   #2233
Senior - BHPian

any updates on the introduction of alloy wheel on the Interceptor? I am toying with the idea of returning to biking, and this bike is well nigh perfect on all counts except for the fact that it doesn't run tubeless tyres, and that is a definite no go for me.
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 20:04   #2234
BHPian

Quote:
Interceptor is no doubt a great bike, and like i said, not questioning your choice at all. You will definitely enjoy it. What caught me was that people blindly make sweeping statements about downgrading as if its demeaning. For eg, i downgraded from a twin cylinder versys 650 to a single cylinder 310GS and i have had much more fun on this bike and taken it to places where i would not have dared taking the versys. All boils down to intended use. Int 650 is a great bike especially to slowly build around and personalize it. Its does not feel like a bike from RE in a good sense, so you dont have to worry about equating it to your previous experiences with thunderbirds.
Thank you @nasirkaka. Yes I understand your point. I just got an update from the RE showroom 1 Baker express is available to take day after tomorrow i.e., 14-10-2020, I am going crazy now. I just need to rumble through all my pockets now urgently. Will update soon.
arpanjha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2020, 22:19   #2235
BHPian

Hey friends, finally I received a text early morning, my bike would be ready for delivery by 2pm today. Hearing this, I could barely concentrate on office work today. Somehow wrapped up work by 2Pm, caught an Uber and off I went to the New Town showroom.
Quickly did the PDI. They took some time for the invoicing etc. Sadly, will need to wait for 20 working days to get the registration plate, till then the beauty will sit quietly in the garage, maybe some riding inside our apartment complex and a planned visit to the temple on sunday.

Some pictures attached here. I shall post some good pictures soon.
Something, I was not aware was, they are giving the Front gaters and Powder coated mirrors as standard fitment on the Baker express now. Or it was always there?
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-whatsapp-image-20201014-16.23.44.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-whatsapp-image-20201014-16.23.43.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-whatsapp-image-20201014-16.42.52.jpeg  

arpanjha is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed