Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 13:47   #2266
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
I was looking at tubeless conversion options for my Inty. Currently there is Outex and way2speed tubeless kit in the market, but these kits feel more like a jugaad and thus not very keen to go ahead. Nor do we have official alloys from RE. So during my search YouTube brought this to my recommendations. From the looks of it, seems like a brilliant idea, but not sure on the reliability. Language barrier also makes it difficult to know how good this holds long term.
Considering that they don't use glue or anything of the sort to bind the tube to the surface of the rim, isn't there a chance that the the nipples get exposed when there is a loss of pressure at a point?

So, finally after I rode a bit without replacing the handle bar and especially the clutch lever, the pain in my left hand prompted me to. Initially they said thay they would have to change the entire unit which would was quoted at ₹3,500 for the parts and ₹500 for the labour. I had been referred to the company store in Coimbatore and and I sent the Bike there.

On arrival, they said that they did not have stock of the the handlebar set with the lever and neither did they have just the handlebar. The had ones only with the switchgear in stock and they quoted about ₹3,500 for it plus labour. They did not have a lever separately either.

After enquiring at Bullman, they said they had the entire set in stock but it would cost about ₹3.8K plus labour. The person who I had sent the bike with, is our family trainer, and he went to another dealer called RiderzIkon, who had just the handlebar in stock and said that it would cost about ₹700. The problem was that they still did not have a lever in stock, but said they would enquire at their Tiruppur dealership. But unfortunately the they did not.

When or trainer asked if they would be willing to fit a lever that was sourced from outside, they agreed. He bought one from someone called Lachu, I think. I was told he runs a big wholesale operation in Coimbatore. The lever from him cost around ₹250.

All in all it cost ₹1080 for the whole replacement as opposed to the ₹4K I was anticipating and I did not have and extra set of swtichgear going to waste.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201027_131407.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201027_131503.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201027_131507.jpg

The bike arrived and I took her to fill her up. On the way I saw something flashing on the console as I changed gear. I was scared. Turned out it was the headlight indicator. I was really baffled because I could not for the life of me understand how replacing the clutch lever could affect the headlights. Turned out the lever was shorter in length that the original and each time I depressed the lever, it would end up depressing the pass light as well.

In any case, everything works almost the way it is supposed to and I'm waiting to get the lever replaced.

I was looking to get aux lights and the headlight as well and sought advice from Mr. Derek from here, but the dealership told me that it would affect the battery warranty and therefore I decided against it, especially since I've taken the extended warranty.

With the new handlebar in place and with her Maiden Pooja done. I decided to take a ride. It was 100km up and down and it was to a place close by. Here are some pictures I took.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201025_100552.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201025_100625.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201025_101953.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201025_101912.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201025_110419.jpg

I've decided to call her Lakshmi, BTW!
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201025_101958.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201025_105158.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201025_105733.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201025_110426.jpg  

adwaith is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 13:52   #2267
Senior - BHPian

Hi All,

Service Update @ 16,000 / HSR Sudhamnagar

Was time to get the motorcycle for a general check-up service. This would be the 4th service of the motorcycle. Following were the tasks done in its servicing

1) Fork Oil Replaced with 5W rating instead of the stock 2W. The front fork action was quite subdued and used to bottom out at the slightest pretext. As a first step, have replaced the fork oil with Maxima 5W instead of the stock oil which is rated at 2W. Small rides so far, the front behaves much better. The Rear suspension has been tuned more towards the sterner side. It is currently one notch lesser than the maximum. With this setup it is much evident that the front fork setup is soft. Possibly YSS or Ohlins might make it more pliant

2) Rear Tire replacement. Finally the Pirelli stock tire had a puncture. It was during a ride to a nearby forest that i noticed the air leaking with a nail lodged in the tire. Rode the bike with nail for roughly 70 odd kms before the tire got fully deflated. This triggered me to go in for Outex as well. Chose the TIMSUN tire and got the outex applicated for both the rims.

3) Steering Stem: The steering stem was removed, the tapered bearing were degreased, cleaned and then applied back.

4) Engine Oil: There was no need for the engine oil replacement or top up since the last oil replacement was done at 12K. So next oil change will be scheduled by the time she does 18K.

Service Costs: 2075
Tire Costs: 7100
Outex Costs: 13000
Application Costs: 4000
Fork Oil : 1200

Guess this was the most expensive spend on the bike so far; Outex being the most.

PS: Will update a different picture since the other one was already posted.
@Mods, can you please delete the picture, am unable to delete it
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20200820_065759-edited.jpg  

Last edited by ku69rd : 27th October 2020 at 14:00.
ku69rd is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 14:03   #2268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
The bike arrived and I took her to fill her up. On the way I saw something flashing on the console as I changed gear. I was scared. Turned out it was the headlight indicator. I was really baffled because I could not for the life of me understand how replacing the clutch lever could affect the headlights. Turned out the lever was shorter in length that the original and each time I depressed the lever, it would end up depressing the pass light as well.

In any case, everything works almost the way it is supposed to and I'm waiting to get the lever replaced.
The lever is set too high, just loosen the lever mounting bracket nut and tilt it slightly lower (down). Refer the video in the previous page shared by Neil. Adjust the brake lever in symmetry to the clutch lever. You should be good
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 10:42   #2269
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
1) Fork Oil Replaced with 5W rating instead of the stock 2W. The front fork action was quite subdued and used to bottom out at the slightest pretext. As a first step, have replaced the fork oil with Maxima 5W instead of the stock oil which is rated at 2W. Small rides so far, the front behaves much better. The Rear suspension has been tuned more towards the sterner side. It is currently one notch lesser than the maximum. With this setup it is much evident that the front fork setup is soft. Possibly YSS or Ohlins might make it more pliant
Ohlins or YSS are performance upgrades and made for international market where roads are generally good. Basis reviews, they greatly increase the handling of the bike esp at higher speeds. May not necessarily be ideal for Indian conditions with our mixed road conditions, esp given their high cost. I am using front suspension upgrade kit from way2speed and find it to be much better then stock in terms of comfort. The oil used is 10W.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 16:15   #2270
BHPian

Seems like the waiting period is down to a week for the INT 650.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screen-shot-20201028-4.09.55-pm.png

And yes, this configurator is where most of my non-productive hours go into. Although there isn't much by way of options, I just keep rotating and looking at the bike in 360°.

I haven't booked it yet. I just come to this page and close it. Might go the pre-owned route.

Last edited by GrandTourer : 28th October 2020 at 16:16.
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 17:28   #2271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I haven't booked it yet. I just come to this page and close it. Might go the pre-owned route.
Go with the pre owned route and you'll save atleast 50k which you can use to get all the accessories of your choice, you'll be able to find many options in the market with low odometer and in mint condition.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 17:33   #2272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Might go the pre-owned route.
A close friend, bhpian, and contributor to this thread has his bike on sale, but has not listed it actively anywhere for fear of having to deal with potential low ballers. He also actively refrains from pushing his own bike (no pun intended, though it’s a Royal Enfield

If you are interested, let me know and I will connect you to him. He has just completed a full service of the bike, so you will probably get a beast ready to ride out on.

I am just connecting dots.

Last edited by Red Liner : 28th October 2020 at 17:34.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 18:46   #2273
BHPian

Quote:
I too was contemplating booking via the configurator, but the one thing that caught me off-guard here was that the booking amount was non-refundable. Now, why would RE do this??
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-capture.jpg  

MotoBlip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 19:01   #2274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
If you are interested, let me know and I will connect you to him. He has just completed a full service of the bike, so you will probably get a beast ready to ride out on.

I am just connecting dots.
Any such leads for Mumbai
The new one costs 3.36L OTR, can see a few options on OLX but they're mostly the standard one's and the asking price is close to 3L, so does not make any sense. I'm looking at either Baker Express or Ravishing Red.

TIA.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 28th October 2020 at 19:19. Reason: K to L :)
hiren.mistry is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 19:17   #2275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoBlip View Post
I too was contemplating booking via the configurator, but the one thing that caught me off-guard here was that the booking amount was non-refundable. Now, why would RE do this??
The 25k booking amount is if when you select accessories, otherwise if you select without, the booking amt is 10k. I believe this is due to the fact that RE fits all the accessories from factory through MIY. And then if you back out, they are left with a bike with a bunch of accessories installed that other buyers may or may not opt for, and it may take them more time to move such stock.
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2020, 20:00   #2276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Any such leads for Mumbai
The new one costs 3.36L OTR, can see a few options on OLX but they're mostly the standard one's and the asking price is close to 3L, so does not make any sense. I'm looking at either Baker Express or Ravishing Red.

TIA.
You can even look around the cities which are near to you, moreover you can buy the standard model and get the Baker Express fuel tank or whichever you like.

The prices are always negotiable, if you bargain you will be able to save around 50k on a new bike, or maybe more if you look for the cheapest option available.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 01:17   #2277
BHPian

Almost 9 months with the INT650 Odo reads 3,535 kms

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1.jpg
With the Lockdown easing off, the eagerness for the weekend rides became the new normal for me as the bike is standstill most of the weekdays.

I've been riding to all directions from Pune with few Team-bhp-ian's big bikes! The never ending rains this year, extended the riding to nearby mountains, dams and water bodies ever so blissful. The greenery which disappears in the October heat was still intact. Only trouble was keeping the bike clean! The INT650 keeps throwing up quite a lot of muck.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-2.jpg
The rides were pretty fun and engaging, be it straight highways when you realize you're still on 5th and there's a cog to shift up! Twisty ghat sections keeps you grinning too. I did a pretty bad off-road trail with a Tiger 800 rider. On slushy patches and fresh mud there are plenty of slides and some scary ones too when the front end misbehaves. It's the tyres at fault, afterall you can't wear formal shoes to the gym! On a broken downhill ghat section the weight and the soft front end makes you go really slow.

I had removed the snorkel air filter cover to place three brackets to hold the air filter with an open face. In the monsoons, I didn't face any issues though I didn't ride in heavy downpour except once when I was caught in sudden heavy rainfall. I put back the snorkel air filter cover before taking the bike for the 6 months/5k kms check-up service.

Issues faced: The MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) light came up after bucket wash a couple of times that would disappear in the next ride cycle. Initially I thought to skip the check-up service but then thought to get the ECU scan done and see if any error code was logged.

I got the check up service done (Didn't use my 2nd free service coupon). Got the ECU scan done and no DTC (error code) was found. Runtime checks were fine like battery charging voltage etc.

Asked to check the following:
- MIL came on - ECU scanned no DTC logged
- Engine oil level - Was above min mark, they didn't bother to check the viscosity
- Brakes - A look at the front an rear brake pads for width left and declared ok. No attempt to open and clean it
- Clutch adjust - Done
- Air filter clean - Checked and found okay. It's recommended in the User Manual not to use pressurized air to clean the air filter.
- Chain slack check/adjust - adjusted and charged 130 bucks for this. Also offered chain lube spray which I declined as the RE lube (I've a can) is very sticky and flings all around. I had already sprayed Maxima Chain wax recently.

With Covid-19, one advantage is that SVCs are relatively free on weekdays. I'm not leaving the bike henceforth, I'll be waiting there to get the bike back.

My 2 cents:
- RE should treat the Twin service separately as I've experienced only few mechanics work on the 650 twins and complex work like ECU update, valve clearance need senior's intervention if they decide to do it!
- DIY, don't complain for basic stuff at RE rather do it yourself. Clutch adjust, brake cleaning, spark plug cleaning, chain slack adjustment etc. As someone said, you'll have only yourself to blame!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-3.jpg
It's a very simple machine to maintain otherwise.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-4.jpeg
I've christened her, Spitfire after the British fighter/interceptor aircraft.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-5.jpeg
Accessories so far:

RE Almunium sump guard - Bashed it once when crawling over a heap of soil to tackle a diversion on a B road.
RE Fork gaiters - Flimsy but keeps the dust and muck away
RE Crash guards big black
Air Filter brackets - Removed to put the snorkel cover back
Philips Xtreme Vision bulb - Halogen bulb upgrade
Carbon Racing windshield
Autographix Tank pad - Gel bubble type, serves the purpose
Handle bar risers - HDT angled risers
Bobo Jaw grip - Buying the silver one was a mistake as the sun reflects on it when the phone is not placed on it. Go for the black one.

Note: Windshield, headlight bulb and handlebar risers were discussed in detail earlier hence not repeating it here. Yes, I need to remove that saree guard!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-6.jpg
For cleaning the bike I'm using Pro-klear waterless wash concentrate and Turtle wax chrome polish. I've the Autosol metal polish for the engine case. It's long pending to buff the engine case!

With the current situation, you need to carry some essentials like snacks, wipes, sanitizer etc. Thinking out of the 'box' for some smaller solutions of a top rack/tail-bag. This is next on my list, I'm not a fan of big top boxes and magnetic tank bags. Currently I'm using a backpack, tied down on the rear seat for relatively longer rides and for shorter rides I just have it on my back.

The pictures are a break to the text.

Enjoy your ride,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 29th October 2020 at 01:45.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 10:14   #2278
BHPian

Quote:
The 25k booking amount is if when you select accessories, otherwise if you select without, the booking amt is 10k. I believe this is due to the fact that RE fits all the accessories from factory through MIY. And then if you back out, they are left with a bike with a bunch of accessories installed that other buyers may or may not opt for, and it may take them more time to move such stock.
I have booked INT 650 online using MIY configurator tool about a week back. I paid 10k booking amount for the bike+accessories+Extended-Warranty.

On the RE website and app it shows the amount as non-refundable, however once you book, the booking confirmation PDF that they mail you mentions that the booking amount is refundable.

Post booking I called up RE helpline and they confirmed that the booking amount is refundable if we cancel the booking before the bike is allotted to us. Also the waiting period mentioned on site is tentative and we may have to wait longer for the bike.

Can anyone who has got the 650 delivered recently please confirm the waiting period.
Sushil.H is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 10:42   #2279
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
[b][u]
With the current situation, you need to carry some essentials like snacks, wipes, sanitizer etc. Thinking out of the 'box' for some smaller solutions of a top rack/tail-bag. This is next on my list, I'm not a fan of big top boxes and magnetic tank bags. Currently I'm using a backpack, tied down on the rear seat for relatively longer rides and for shorter rides I just have it on my back.

The pictures are a break to the text.

Enjoy your ride,
surjaonwheelz
Viaterra pod series, fully water proof, 22 and 15 litres.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 17:47   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil.H View Post
Can anyone who has got the 650 delivered recently please confirm the waiting period.
In Delhi, have checked with two dealers(Lamba and BNT) and they both quoted a waiting period of 3 months. I booked mine on 6th Sept., at the time of booking was promised delivery within 50-55 days, but I guess it's gonna take them a week or two more .
MotoBlip is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks