Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2020, 16:22   #2296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpanjha View Post
About puncture I hope I can stay away from it as long as possible, but I will take the RSA route for the first one, let me see how it goes.
My 2 cents, there is no such hard rule during such times. Look around if you see a local puncture guy within the vicinity else call the RSA if you don't find anyone. It's all about time n engagements ahead that will decide.

Removing the wheel is an easy job but fitting it back has to be as per procedure. There are a quite a few videos on YouTube which explain the rear wheel fitment. Possibly you can store them in your favorites for quick access if you find a local mechanic.
ku69rd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 23:53   #2297
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, I have two queries, I couldn’t find a satisfactory answer in the thread till now.
1. If I get a puncture do I attempt to get it repaired by the local roadside repair guy or give a call to the RSA?
If RSA can reach you soon enough choose that, if not find a person who know to work with ABS. I went to the nearest puncture shop and he broke the ABS sensor and also bent the disc. It was an awful experience. Take it to people who know to work with it. RSA is the safest IMO.

Guys I have a question regarding revving too high. I've ridden it under 4K RPM as recommended in the manual until 500KM and since I've been regularly been riding at max 6K RPM, 5K is where I get to usually, generally shifting at 4K.

Today I decided to have a bit of fun and was revving quite high. I was hitting 7K rpm often and red-lined at one point as well.

Is this fine or should I tone it down? And is there a general limit I should be following?

Thanks!
adwaith is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 01:00   #2298
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Today I decided to have a bit of fun and was revving quite high. I was hitting 7K rpm often and red-lined at one point as well.

Is this fine or should I tone it down? And is there a general limit I should be following?
Provided that your bike is warmed up and has it's engine oil replaced at regular intervals, there is absolutely no harm in redlining the engine.

That being said, this format of motor is more suited to riding the torque wave seen at the mid range. As long as you don't keep revving the nuts out of it continuously, it's perfectly fine.
dr_davis97 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 11:16   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Guys I have a question regarding revving too high. I've ridden it under 4K RPM as recommended in the manual until 500KM and since I've been regularly been riding at max 6K RPM, 5K is where I get to usually, generally shifting at 4K.
Today I decided to have a bit of fun and was revving quite high. I was hitting 7K rpm often and red-lined at one point as well. Is this fine or should I tone it down? And is there a general limit I should be following?
I had similar doubts early on. Suffice it to say, there are multiple reasons manufacturers recommend keeping the engine under a certain RPM early on, primary being (I think), being a new bike, one must get accustomed to its behavior, the way it handles, braking, throttle response, clutch play etc, before experimenting on an open road.
It is also recommended (not by the manufacturer, but experts if I may call them) to rev hard for some duration as well. I think of this as being similar to HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training), where you would max out by running the fastest you can for say a minute, and then gather your breath for the next 1.5 minutes to then burst again for a minute, repeating this effort multiple times.
Applying the same to your engine, might not be a bad idea, albeit not in exactly the same way of course.

These videos from some YouTube gurus helped:

Last edited by shyamg28 : 9th November 2020 at 11:22.
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 12:47   #2300
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks!
IMO hitting 7K for a short bust shouldn`t cause any problem provided the engine has reached optimum temp. Just incase you missed, you can refer to this video from Stuart Fillingham for running in procedure. It is one of the best I have seen so far
DragonHawk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 18:54   #2301
BHPian

Hello All,

I am very keen on an Interceptor 650 but also wanted to know if it would make sense to wait longer for an upgrade or a facelift to this bike.

Please advise,

Regards
Bharath
bharath79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 19:14   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, I have two queries, I couldn’t find a satisfactory answer in the thread till now.
1. If I get a puncture do I attempt to get it repaired by the local roadside repair guy or give a call to the RSA?
If RSA can reach you in time, that's great, however most local repair shops should be able to fix it and they usually know how to remove and fix the wheel. Even though it is a 650cc but the swing arm design is very simple and basic, similar to the latest Classic and Thunderbird. Just make sure to ask them beforehand if they can handle it, because extra care needs to be taken with the ABS sensor and brake calipers. (more so with rear wheel).

Whenever removing the wheel, make sure ignition is off, because without the wheel in place with ignition on, the ABS system will go into error mode (not sensing the ABS ring) and will require a reset to be back to normal again. Also, with the wheel off, make sure not to press the brakes since it will make the brake pads jam into each other without the disc in between.
It is also a good idea to preferably get this done at shops that have a tyre removal machine or at least if they have the manual lever type contraption, because these guys usually are very rough with the tyre spoons and have a habit of jumping on to your wheel to have the tyre removed which is bad for a floating disc and also you end up with lot of scratches on your rim.

The best thing though is to learn to do it yourself. (I learned this as soon as I bought the bike). All the tools needed are available in the stock tool kit.
The front one is very simple, rear is a bit tricky to put back. You can always remove them yourself with your tool kit (or use tools from the shop you are at) and then have the puncture repaired from the shop and then install it back taking help if needed form the guys at the shop.
There are many YouTube videos available or just pay some money to your nearby mechanic and ask him to teach you, try doing it once and you will be confident for the rest of your rides.
ishan12 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th November 2020, 21:43   #2303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
Hello All,

I am very keen on an Interceptor 650 but also wanted to know if it would make sense to wait longer for an upgrade or a facelift to this bike.

Please advise,

Regards
Bharath
There is no news of any upgrades soon, and there has not been any testing vehicles spied as well, moreover RE is busy with the testing of 650cc cruiser, so i don't think a face-lift would come soon. I would suggest get a used one and save some money.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 13:29   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post

The best thing though is to learn to do it yourself. (I learned this as soon as I bought the bike). All the tools needed are available in the stock tool kit.
The front one is very simple, rear is a bit tricky to put back. You can always remove them yourself with your tool kit (or use tools from the shop you are at) and then have the puncture repaired from the shop and then install it back taking help if needed form the guys at the shop.
There are many YouTube videos available or just pay some money to your nearby mechanic and ask him to teach you, try doing it once and you will be confident for the rest of your rides.
Thank you @ishan. Yes doing it myself seems a good idea, but dont know how practical will it be when on a commute to or from office. But it never harms to learn and do a few times when the bike is parked at home.
arpanjha is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 13:36   #2305
BHPian

Last sunday I modified the seat from Wellington using Mr. Bapi Guha's help. He has good experience. The number is mentioned a few pages back, but I am putting it once again for fellow Kolkata or nearby INT users who might want to get the seat modded. +918282848553 Mr. Bapi Guha

Below are a couple of pictures (pardon the picture quality as it was shot in bad light). I wanted height reduction to help my reach, and pillion support to be improved. Also, comfort or 40-100 kms has improved. Need to ride longer to check comfort over long rides. But certainly better than stock seats.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-whatsapp-image-20201108-18.40.20.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-whatsapp-image-20201108-18.38.37.jpeg  

arpanjha is online now   (10) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 15:21   #2306
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
Hello All,

Please advise,

Regards
Bharath
If you have no immediate requirements, would suggest you to hold on as even am in the same boat since the last few months.
The INT650 in its current avatar is a great bike but still gives a sense of incompleteness in terms of tyres, seats and the instrument cluster. Looking at the new cruiser that is spied and the new Meteor, am pretty sure the alloys and instrument panel will be upgraded on the twins as well. I don't think you will spot any test mules for these minor upgrades but only time will tell. As of now, atleast for me, it makes much more sense to wait for 5 to 6 more months rather than buying one and finding an upgrade in the market less than a year of purchase.
abhi7013 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 19:49   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Whenever removing the wheel, make sure ignition is off, because without the wheel in place with ignition on, the ABS system will go into error mode (not sensing the ABS ring) and will require a reset to be back to normal again.
Useful tip, thanks.
Quote:
It is also a good idea to preferably get this done at shops that have a tyre removal machine or at least if they have the manual lever type contraption
The best thing though is to learn to do it yourself.
I have experience and tools but have hesitated because alloys are easily scratched. OK, I will take more care than the average small roadside shop but I do not have the "tyre removal machine or ... manual lever type contraption". Any tips on avoiding scratching the rim when using simple tyre levers?
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 21:27   #2308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
If you have no immediate requirements, would suggest you to hold on as even am in the same boat since the last few months.
The INT650 in its current avatar is a great bike but still gives a sense of incompleteness in terms of tyres, seats and the instrument cluster. Looking at the new cruiser that is spied and the new Meteor, am pretty sure the alloys and instrument panel will be upgraded on the twins as well. I don't think you will spot any test mules for these minor upgrades but only time will tell. As of now, atleast for me, it makes much more sense to wait for 5 to 6 more months rather than buying one and finding an upgrade in the market less than a year of purchase.
Thank you for that!!! I guess I will wait.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
There is no news of any upgrades soon, and there has not been any testing vehicles spied as well, moreover RE is busy with the testing of 650cc cruiser, so i don't think a face-lift would come soon. I would suggest get a used one and save some money.
Thank you for the response. I will just it wait out for the upgraded one as and when it arrives!!!

Last edited by Aditya : 11th November 2020 at 04:07. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 11th November 2020, 15:26   #2309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
IMO hitting 7K for a short bust shouldn`t cause any problem provided the engine has reached optimum temp. Just incase you missed, you can refer to this video from Stuart Fillingham for running in procedure. It is one of the best I have seen so far
https://Youtu.be/S0RZqijCY-E
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamg28 View Post
I had similar doubts early on. Suffice it to say, there are multiple reasons manufacturers recommend keeping the engine under a certain RPM early on, primary being (I think), being a new bike, one must get accustomed to its behavior, the way it handles, braking, throttle response, clutch play etc, before experimenting on an open road.
It is also recommended (not by the manufacturer, but experts if I may call them) to rev hard for some duration as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_davis97 View Post
Provided that your bike is warmed up and has it's engine oil replaced at regular intervals, there is absolutely no harm in redlining the engine.

That being said, this format of motor is more suited to riding the torque wave seen at the mid range. As long as you don't keep revving the nuts out of it continuously, it's perfectly fine.
Thank you so much for your replies! I've watched all of those videos and my fears have ben put to rest. But that one session of hard riding has screwed up my FE really badly. I've been getting 27 kmpl for quite a while now. A couple of days ago at 120 odd kilometres since I filled her up I noticed that there were only 2 bars on the fuel gauge. I went and filled her up today and the FE was at 19kmpl.

Quote:
Last sunday I modified the seat from Wellington using Mr. Bapi Guha's help. He has good experience. The number is mentioned a few pages back, but I am putting it once again for fellow Kolkata or nearby INT users who might want to get the seat modded. +918282848553 Mr. Bapi Guha
Thanks for sharing! Do you think he will ship his ware? Unfortunately college opens up only in June 2021 and only then will I be able to go in person.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 16:19   #2310
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for sharing! Do you think he will ship his ware? Unfortunately college opens up only in June 2021 and only then will I be able to go in person.
You can talk to him. I think he can ship. Tell him about the job he did last sunday on baker express, and guide him the way you want it to be modified.
arpanjha is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed