Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2020, 05:03   #2341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Picked up an Interceptor last week. I am lost for words to describe what a beautiful motorcycle this is. Royal Enfield have nailed this one. True to my Royal Enfield mindset, I am looking hard for faults and there aren't any! Sure, you can complain or nitpick about the slightly aggressive seating, run off the mill switch gear and the lack of a clock, gear indicator, etc. That's missing the point. This bike is pure, unadulterated joy on two wheels. I love it.

Some pictures from my first ride over the last weekend which was ~200km. It was a big mistake to ride as there were wind gusts as high as 50kmph. I won't ride in these conditions ever again. I was taking is easy with throttle inputs, to allow the engine to bed in right. Followed the advice on the manual, to keep it below 4000rpm for the first 800km, which is more that sufficient for the bike to hit the ton. Fast enough for me, for now. It just feels so easy going.

I wish I could hear more of the exhaust. Under a snug lid, you can barely hear anything. There were a couple of Adventure motorcycle (A Triumph Tiger and the other a BMW) riders that stopped for a break at a town called Featherston. Town speed limits are 50kmph. As I was approaching them, they both turned around to look at what that sound was and that just made my day.

Burnside Presbyterian Church. Established 15 May 1875.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201121_174627.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201121_153718.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201121_173250.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201121_173209.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201121_180438.jpg  

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd November 2020 at 05:12.
sandeepmohan is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:20   #2342

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil.H View Post
Did you book via your dealer?
How much booking amount did you pay?

I booked it via MIY online configurator tool by paying 10k and got the bike delivered in flat 15 days. The waiting period mentioned on the booking confirmation was 14 days, so bike was delivered to me as promised.
I booked it online through the app and paid 10,000 as booking amount. No waiting period was confirmed on the app. It just said, “ confirm with the dealer”.

I called the dealer and asked about the waiting period. He says you can expect it in around 30 days. I dont think the dealer is serious about the delivery as i booked it online. Anytime i call them, they give me different timelines.
himsgpta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 11:54   #2343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Useful tip, thanks.
I have experience and tools but have hesitated because alloys are easily scratched. OK, I will take more care than the average small roadside shop but I do not have the "tyre removal machine or ... manual lever type contraption". Any tips on avoiding scratching the rim when using simple tyre levers?
I mentioned the machine in case you are getting it done at a tyre shop.
As for tyre levers, we do get rim protectors in the market, but in general, any piece of flexible plastic will do.
ishan12 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 19:30   #2344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himsgpta View Post
Just booked the BS6 Interceptor in Ravishing Red colour.
The dealer says that the waiting period is 60 days. Just hoping that i can drive it in this year.

Also want to understand why is the waiting period so high for this bike. Is the demand too high or production capacity of RE is too low for this bike.
It could be a combination of the priority for hotter selling models and the colour you selected. I booked mine through the MIY app, and it got prioritized right to the top. Booked on 1st Nov, bike arrived at dealership on 5th, and after RTO formalities took delivery on 11th. Already done 500+ kms

My suggestion to anyone else about to make a booking, do it through MIY.
GrandTourer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 00:16   #2345
Senior - BHPian

Had a small ~260 km ride on Sunday with 2 other Interceptors, a Dominar, a CBR250R and a Yamaha R3 for company. The destination was Gingee Fort, and upon reaching we were told that the Fort is closed due to an ongoing maintenance activity But the trip was never really about the Fort, it always was about the journey, the ride to and back from the Fort, so we were not very disappointed!

And upon exchanging ride with my friend (and BHPian archangel) on the R3, I couldn't help but notice how buzzy the Japanese parallel twin felt at about 90-100 kmph. Could feel the vibes from both the seats and the pegs, and I did not expect this from the otherwise smooth Yamaha. Also since my friend is quite possessive about his motorcycles (told you, he's a BHPian!) I did not rev the bike too much and at revs below 6000 the bike felt just as fast as the Interceptor, but I knew that the R3 would fly at higher revs, where these high-strung motors typically shine. The sound from the sporty short-stroke parallel twin was truly awesome and goosebumps inducing though!

And upon exchanging back to our own rides, my friend commented that he was taken aback by the refinement and especially the smoothness of the transmission. Its quite a compliment when it comes from an owner of a R3 and an in-line 4 FZ1! Good work Royal Enfield, you totally deserve the praise for all the good development work you have done

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-2eee08d493434885bb7fb840bd54736b.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-0df6fa661b384a4092c5d66ad9862c3c.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 20:41   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himsgpta View Post
I booked it online through the app and paid 10,000 as booking amount. No waiting period was confirmed on the app. It just said, “ confirm with the dealer”.

I called the dealer and asked about the waiting period. He says you can expect it in around 30 days. I dont think the dealer is serious about the delivery as i booked it online. Anytime i call them, they give me different timelines.
You must have received a booking confirmation email from Royal Enfield. Check the PDF attachments in that email, the waiting period will be mentioned in one of the PDFs. In my case it was mentioned as 14 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
It could be a combination of the priority for hotter selling models and the colour you selected. I booked mine through the MIY app, and it got prioritized right to the top. Booked on 1st Nov, bike arrived at dealership on 5th, and after RTO formalities took delivery on 11th. Already done 500+ kms

My suggestion to anyone else about to make a booking, do it through MIY.
Same happened with me. Dealer confirmed that I got the bike within 2 weeks coz I booked it via online app. Had I booked it via dealer it would taken 30-45 days.

Wow 500 kms already!! How was your first service experience? How much did it cost?

I have just completed 120 kms till date. Planning to go for a long ride this weekend.
Sushil.H is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2020, 21:44   #2347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil.H View Post

Wow 500 kms already!! How was your first service experience? How much did it cost?

I have just completed 120 kms till date. Planning to go for a long ride this weekend.
I'm going for service this Saturday. Will update here post that. Can't wait to go beyond 4000rpm.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 12:28   #2348
BHPian

I will be moving to Chennai for a month to intern this December and I cant take my bike with me unfortunately. :(

Please suggest how I have to store the vehicle etc. Thanks!

Otherwise, she's doing great. I've put almost 2K on the odo. Should get there in a couple of days. Here are some pictures.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201126_153523.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201121_185145_806.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201123_170130_829.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201123_133124.jpg
adwaith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2020, 09:55   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
I will be moving to Chennai for a month to intern this December and I cant take my bike with me unfortunately. :(

Here's a brilliant thread for storing motorcycles for longer periods.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ndian-way.html (Prepping a Motorcycle for long-term storage, the Indian way!)

Cheers.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 13:33   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
I'm going for service this Saturday. Will update here post that. Can't wait to go beyond 4000rpm.
Went to BTM Brand Store for service this Saturday. Experience was decent, nothing to write home about.
I had pre-booked an appointment since the volume of REs plying our streets is so high, I didn't want to arrive unannounced and keep the bike overnight (some people did it while I was there). Despite the appointment, I had to wait for 1 hour before the bike was taken in for the service, as there were a high number of bikes in queue.
Work done:
  • Oil and oil filter change (Total ~2.5k)
  • Cover the joins the end cans with the rest of the silencer was misaligned from factory. Got it aligned
  • Asked them to look into the false neutral issue on downshifts. I think it's better now, but could be placebo too
  • Aligned to lights a bit higher than before

All in all spent 2.5 hours at the service station.

Took the bike for a longish ride to Nandi Hills on Sunday, and boy does it excite! Done close to 750 Kms till date, and with this rate by fuel cost on the bike will be more than I spend on fuel for the car
GrandTourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 14:26   #2351
BHPian

Recently picked up the interceptor 650 baker express after having fallen for the bike during an unplanned test ride 😁 I had given up on biking almost a decade ago due to terrible Bangalore roads, horrible traffic, unbearable dust & heat. Having owned the HH CBZ & later the TB350 during 2002-2010, this bike seemed such a refreshing change & especially the engine on this machine.. wow!
I plan to use the interceptor for highway riding majorly to avoid the mess in the city. Close to 500 kms on the odo now, the customary Nandi Hills trip for everyone who buys a new vehicle in Bangalore was done on one of weekends it was loads of fun on the highway. Although, I consider myself a car guy this bike seems like it sure has made me think about my preferences again & it just pulls at your heartstrings!

Anyway, got a couple of issues to address.

1. Seat comfort - I bought the GT touring seat from RE, having tested both touring seats RE has to offer. however it seems like it hasn’t done the trick either. Don’t want to get another seat again, trying to see if any aftermarket cushioning can solve the issue. I’m guessing cars have really spoilt us with their seats/comfort over time & bike seats seem so Spartan Anyways, any suggestions to improve the stock seat or the GT touring seat for better comfort are welcome.

2. Handlebar position - It is just too far! The pressure on wrists can take its toll even for short rides. Ordered a Pair of pivot risers from HDT custom. However, I tried them to then realise that the cables got too tight & they need to be rerouted to free them up, had to take them off as the clutch cable was too stretched & didn’t look safe. Plan to get it installed at the first service shortly. Hopefully that resolves it.

A couple of pics taken at the yard during pdi, then at the temple & finally at home.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-05b0ee4e97074c2d904f0769fdd2b295.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-c8bc0b0fcee54207a71c48a9fd32e634.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-3bf22433274e43248fcb9bf2a9cb1ba2.jpeg  

suhas_raj is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 20:47   #2352
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Recently picked up the interceptor 650 baker express after having fallen for the bike during an unplanned test ride 😁
Although, I consider myself a car guy this bike seems like it sure has made me think about my preferences again & it just pulls at your heartstrings!

Anyway, got a couple of issues to address.

1. Seat comfort
2. Handlebar position - It is just too far! The pressure on wrists can take its toll even for short rides. Ordered a Pair of pivot risers from HDT custom. However, I tried them to then realise that the cables got too tight & they need to be rerouted to free them up, had to take them off as the clutch cable was too stretched & didn’t look safe. Plan to get it installed at the first service shortly. Hopefully that resolves it.
Congrats on your acquisition suhas_raj, hope you have many miles of happy riding and ownership with the Interceptor!

I would say don't go overboard on the ergonomics modifications yet. Most of them are unnecessary and come with other caveats. Slowly increase your riding distance on the Interceptor since you are riding after a long gap, the cramps and pain might slowly decrease as your body adapts to the bike and the riding position. If you still face the painful things after 3-4 weeks, you can seek out the enhancements. Are you very tall or very short? If so, some adjustments might be needed.

Seats can be customized by Rao who seems to be a famous guy and many Int owners have got their seat cushioning reinforced by him. I personally am happy with the OE Touring seat, my backside has got used to it . My only grouse with it is - it is a tad bit narrow and could do with some real estate improvement, living with it for 2 years and multiple trips though.
KarthikK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 21:15   #2353
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Congrats on your acquisition suhas_raj, hope you have many miles of happy riding and ownership with the Interceptor!

I would say don't go overboard on the ergonomics modifications yet. Most of them are unnecessary and come with other caveats. Slowly increase your riding distance on the Interceptor since you are riding after a long gap, the cramps and pain might slowly decrease as your body adapts to the bike and the riding position. If you still face the painful things after 3-4 weeks, you can seek out the enhancements. Are you very tall or very short? If so, some adjustments might be needed.

Seats can be customized by Rao who seems to be a famous guy and many Int owners have got their seat cushioning reinforced by him. I personally am happy with the OE Touring seat, my backside has got used to it . My only grouse with it is - it is a tad bit narrow and could do with some real estate improvement, living with it for 2 years and multiple trips though.
Thanks Karthik, appreciate your suggestion. Agree, it’s probably too long since my previous riding days & middle age showing up its effects on my body. I’m just about 5.7” in height & there’s only so much I can aim to reach miss my Thunderbird in this aspect alone. I will pay Rao’s a visit to see what they have to offer. Cheers!
suhas_raj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 04:35   #2354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As its only for a month, there is not much to do really. Modern motorcycles don't need much attention when it comes to long term storage. I'd say that a trickle charger isn't required either.

Add a couple more psi to the tires so when you get back, it has not dropped too low.

If someone can start the bike for you once a week and let it idle for a couple of minutes, this will be sufficient to keep some oil flowing and also keep a tab on the state of the battery.

Don't worry about the bike. Focus on your internship.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 08:05   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Otherwise, she's doing great. I've put almost 2K on the odo. Should get there in a couple of days. Here are some pictures.
Couple of pointers from my end-
1- Disconnect and remove the battery
2- Fill ir in the tyres, preferably 2-3 psi more than the recommended
3- Lube the chain
4- Apply WD-40 on all switches (optional, not a must)
5- Wash and clean the bike
6- Put a nice cover, make sure to tie the cover near the rider seat area, just to make sure that cats don't enter(since its winter, they try to crawl inside the cover)
7- Park the bike in centre stand
Hope you have a covered parking.
rakesh_r is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks