Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2020, 11:05   #2356
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Went to BTM Brand Store for service this Saturday.
All in all spent 2.5 hours at the service station.
No valve clearance inspection/checks at first service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Ordered a Pair of pivot risers from HDT custom. However, I tried them to then realise that the cables got too tight & they need to be rerouted to free them up, had to take them off as the clutch cable was too stretched & didn’t look safe.
On the BS6 bikes the cables are harnessed in a different way than the BS4 bikes. Send a pic to Hemant of HDT Customs, he'll share a video of how to re-route it. Show it to the mechanic. For BS4 bikes one just needs to place the throttle cable above the petrol tank RHS mount!

Congratulations! It's raining Baker Express

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 11:35   #2357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhas_raj View Post
Recently picked up the interceptor 650 baker express
Congratulations Suhas. Welcome to the club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
No valve clearance inspection/checks at first service?

/surjaonwheelz
Oh yes, forgot to mention that.
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 18:56   #2358
BHPian

Hello,
Please let me know the tyre manufacturer for the latest deliveries. Is it still Pirelli?
Thank you.
Old 1st December 2020, 20:16   #2359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangaloreguy View Post
Hello,
Please let me know the tyre manufacturer for the latest deliveries. Is it still Pirelli?
Thank you.
Yes. It's still Pirelli Phantom SportsComp.
Old 2nd December 2020, 16:09   #2360
BHPian

Completed one year of owning this beautiful machine last week. What a year it has been, like how we guys change with the onset of new life post one's marriage. The arrival of this bike has made more changes than I had anticipated.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pp.jpeg

Even though I had previously owned RE Desertstorm but I was never a DIY guy nor I was a person who takes the road without any reason. But things have changed altogether, this bike is so addictive that nowadays I am always on the lookout for an opportunity to ride and have fun. Even if there is no reason, I create one and go on exploring the ever beautiful coastal belt. With his signature style DIY, I have been a huge fan of our mod Gannu_1. Even though I haven`t or rather I wouldn`t reach his level of expertise, but I have slowly started working on simple things like cleaning brake pads, adjusting chain tightness, routine oil changes, etc. I have felt a sense of happiness while working on these small things which rather gave me the confidence to work on something more complex like tappet adjustment which I am planning to take up sometime next week. Thanks to Covid, my running has been reduced drastically. Since I have moved out of Bangalore, group rides and long-distance ones have become a kind of extinct. Currently, my bike is just shod of 4k and except for rear suspension being replaced under warranty, it has been pretty much an uneventful journey.

Since we had already discussed the length and breadth of the bike and its character. I would rather limit my post to the mods which I had worked on and what I am planning in the future. For the majority of the mods, they are taken up because of my nature. I am more of a person who gives importance to preventive maintenance, fear of having stuck in the middle of the road has led me to explore common failing parts and fix it wherever applicable. All thanks for INT/GT being popular in the UK and other countries and having a strong owners community, these guys have come up with a variety of options. Even though INT/GT 650 is leaps ahead of previous models, however being typical RE product and their love for substandard parts, nowadays we have more options to get our hands to quality aftermarket ones. Some are pricey but it is worth the mental peace.

Here is the list of mods being carried out in 1 year.
1. First thing I did was to convert tires to tubeless. I have explored many available options like a sealant, alloy wheels, outex. Even though it did seem to be a pricey choice, I went with outex, and it's worth the paisa. With 4k in the odo, there is a consistent loss of 1-2 psi in 2 - 3 weeks but this amount of loss is within the limit. Like we have seen with many folks here who have installed, installation is the key. However this comes with a caveat, ie one needs to be careful with potholes and need to avoid filling up air in the petrol bunk or outside. I have got this product from motousher TYRE VALVE 90° STEM EXTENSION and it does come in handy if I need to fill it up outside.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-download.jpeg

2. I had installed PPF on the tank and side panels. I got this done at Bubbles car spa Dollars Colony. I have been visiting here for all detailing purposes for my car and having known Suhas for a long time, I decided to get this done there. However work done was not up to my expectations, like there namesake there are bubbles in the film, and finishing at the edges has been poor. I have conveyed this to Suhas and have promised to get it fixed, I have to get it checked soon once I am back in Bangalore.

3. Replaced stock relays with Made in Japan Denso relays. I have seen many complaining of relay going Kaput and getting stranded. Just to be on the safer side, I went with the high-quality Denso ones and kept the original as spares. It comes with 1400 per piece.

4. Installed AHO off and Hazard switch from Novotronix. This is something I am contemplating removing as AHO is kind of required for safety purposes and having AHO on during riding shouldn`t put more load on the battery and also I remember one of the folks in my riding circles reporting fumes coming headlight assembly which was caused by AHO module. Also, headlight assembly is cramped from inside and it is a tight squeeze for having both these modules installed. So I am thinking to remove both or keep the Hazard switch.

5. To extract a few more horsepowers, I went ahead and replaced the stock filter with the DNA performance filter with stage 2. However, this comes with a risk of running the engine lean for which I am planning to get one more mod. Meanwhile, I am keeping a close watch on my spark plugs and any problems that occur will replace them with stock ones.

6. When odo was at 2.5k I have replaced stock oil with Silkolene Pro-4 Plus Oil and change is very much evident. Did a couple of long rides and engine heat has reduced further and smoothness has improved leaps and bound. I am planning to stick to this schedule of 2-3k with stock oil and 7-8k with Silkolene.

Some of the future mods in the pipeline.
1. Planning to source booster plug from the UK. I hope this will fix the problem of risk running lean with a DNA filter. This should solve my need of a performance upgrade without any need to remap ECU.

2. Lack of vitamin M is not letting me take up the work of suspension upgrade. With plans to keep my bike as long as possible, I am quite eager to bite the dust. Hopefully early next year I might go ahead with upgrading Ohlins. I do see way2speed has come up with some options, I will wait to hear more feedback before taking a call. Ho

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-whatsapp-image-20201129-19.40.21.jpeg

No doubt some of the mods are heavily inspired by Stuart Fillingham from the youtube fame but some credit goes to my friends at our INT/GT owners group. Irrespective of where we get inspired, the amount of effort which goes in, and the joy of doing things on our own is a different feeling altogether.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 2nd December 2020 at 16:13.
DragonHawk is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:19   #2361
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post
Currently, my bike is just shod of 4k and except for rear suspension being replaced under warranty, it has been pretty much an uneventful journey.

3. Replaced stock relays with Made in Japan Denso relays. I have seen many complaining of relay going Kaput and getting stranded. Just to be on the safer side, I went with the high-quality Denso ones and kept the original as spares. It comes with 1400 per piece.

4. Installed AHO off and Hazard switch from Novotronix.

5. To extract a few more horsepowers, I went ahead and replaced the stock filter with the DNA performance filter with stage 2. However, this comes with a risk of running the engine lean for which I am planning to get one more mod. Meanwhile, I am keeping a close watch on my spark plugs and any problems that occur will replace them with stock ones.

Some of the future mods in the pipeline.
1. Planning to source booster plug from the UK. I hope this will fix the problem of risk running lean with a DNA filter. This should solve my need of a performance upgrade without any need to remap ECU.

No doubt some of the mods are heavily inspired by Stuart Fillingham from the Youtube fame but some credit goes to my friends at our INT/GT owners group.
- What exactly happened with the rear suspension? How did you fault find it? Were both struts changed?

- I was considering this, but the 4 relays will set one back by 6k (prices have gone up)

- The AHO has always intrigued me, specially for those who have upgraded the headlight. Did you upgrade the headlight bulb? Did you install the LED indicator bulbs too?

- Checkout the "Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. One year REVIEW!" video of your favorite YouTuber, he dismisses the need of a booster plug! You seem to have the stock exhausts, so chances of running lean are minimal (I suppose). That channel has become a parts endorsement platform for RE & Triumph, but that is a part of their revenue generation.
Hope you log double the kms in the second year of ownership, atleast!

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:42   #2362
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangaloreguy View Post
Hello,
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Yes. It's still Pirelli Phantom SportsComp.
From what I heard, it is changing to an Indian brand and hopefully tubeless.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 17:56   #2363
BHPian

Quote:
- What exactly happened with the rear suspension? How did you fault find it? Were both struts changed?
Whenever I go over uneven road surfaces or roads with broken patches, I could hear some khat khat sound even after setting the suspension to any level from stock soft level. I will see if I find my earlier recording. Luckily the tech who worked on my first during the second service too observed he himself pushed for warranty replacement. We had to replace both the struts.
Quote:
- I was considering this, but the 4 relays will set one back by 6k (prices have gone up)

- The AHO has always intrigued me, specially for those who have upgraded the headlight. Did you upgrade the headlight bulb? Did you install the LED indicator bulbs too?
I have only replaced stock indicator bulbs with LED and the headlight is still stock. Initially, I had plans to fit Aux squadron pro from Baja designs but shelved it as I don`t do night trips. Once I get the big-ticket spends like suspension upgrade then I will plan for these.

Quote:
- Checkout the "Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. One year REVIEW!" video of your favorite YouTuber, he dismisses the need of a booster plug! You seem to have the stock exhausts, so chances of running lean are minimal (I suppose). That channel has become a parts endorsement platform for RE & Triumph, but that is a part of their revenue generation.
Hope you log double the kms in the second year of ownership, atleast!

/surjaonwheelz
Yeah, you are spot on, few of his recent videos were more like a sponsored ones. I just keep myself limited to technical ones and for some, I do check out some videos from techbikeparts.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 2nd December 2020 at 17:59.
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2020, 20:09   #2364
BHPian

Quote:
I was considering this, but the 4 relays will set one back by 6k (prices have gone up)
How did you find which model relays are needed and where did you find the supplier for the quote?
Old 2nd December 2020, 20:47   #2365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
How did you find which model relays are needed and where did you find the supplier for the quote?
Roadpower customs, Bangalore

Denso 5 pin relay - hit them up on social media

Call/Whatsapp: +91-748-357-3674
email: roadpowercustoms@gmail.com

They also sell Silcolene engine oil described in the post above by DragonHawk. Most of their products are from UK for the RE & Triumph retro classics. The owner (Mr Sharma) owns a CGT650 and is riding the wave of demand for accessories & parts (shown in UK YouTube channels)

Some interesting products:
- Spooltans (just like Motone customs)
- O ring for tank lock seal only (RE sells the complete lock set)
- Silcolene products
- YSS/Ohlins suspension kits
- NGK Spark plug kit (Resistor caps + cables)
- Avon tyres
- Union jack tank pads (just like Motone customs)

I came to know of them from social media, didn't do any business with them yet!

/surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 15:54   #2366
BHPian

INT650 on MC Commute:
shyamg28 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2020, 21:59   #2367
BHPian

Congratulations DragonHawk! I bet it feels amazing.

As some of you may know I'm away from home for a month for an internship.

5 days in, I miss her so much. The feeling of joy and liberty that she gives me is unmatched and nothing else in life has given me this.

My office is just a couple of paces from my stay and I swiggy my food in, and there is no single justification as to why I need my motorcycle here but I can't seem to convince myself. It probably the excitement of owning a motorcycle for the first time, but I feel that I have lost a limb, not being able to move around.

Hopefully, I some tide through the 3 remaining weeks.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20201126_230630_369.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 5th December 2020 at 06:40. Reason: Let's leave extreme personal details out :)
adwaith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2020, 07:36   #2368
BHPian

Quote:
Roadpower customs, Bangalore
Thanks surjaonwheelz.

I contacted them by email and got a prompt and full reply. Their online catalogue is https://wa.me/c/917483573674
Old 5th December 2020, 11:53   #2369
BHPian

Recently as soon as the cold started in Gurgaon, my int650 barely starts up when the engine is already hot(like on a red light).
The bike starts to 1.1-1.2k rpm then instantly drops to 0.5k for a instance and comes back up. During this process it sometimes shuts down.

4k done, only 1 oil change.

Mods:
1) aew exhaust
2) stage 2 kit on stock air filter
Old 5th December 2020, 22:18   #2370
BHPian

Today i had a chance to ride bmw G310 which my friend owns, we went for a small trekking session in the morning and while returning from there we swapped our bikes. The bike was bought during BS4 clearance sale so it's fairly new and in a perfectly good condition.

As soon as i started the engine i was surprised by the amount of vibrations on the tank, seat and the area touching my inner legs. I waited for the engine to get warm for a minute and then revved the bike a little again, what surprised was i could see the RVM's vision getting a little bit blurry, due to the vibes! And there was buzzing sound from the plastic parts of the bike, mainly from the tank. I hate these buzzing sounds, it was one of the reasons why i sold of my pulsar 180 after 9 years of ownership.

It was really shocking and surprising coming from a bike which costs a lot and has a BMW logo on it, i asked my friend about it and he told me that all other bikes in his 310 group behave the same. I started riding and the next surprise was the pretty hard gear shifts, while up shifting i had to put a considerable amount of force, my toe started hurting after a while of riding in traffic, i was wearing a sport shoe with a mesh top area.

The conclusion is I was pretty disappointed by the bike, the constant vibes, buzzing sound from the panels, hard gear shifts ruined the experience for me. The best part of the bike was the suspension, which i found very comfortable in front of my Gt and the actual tubeless tyres.

No offense to any owners but these are my personal opinion, maybe the bike had some issues which the owner didn't know of. After switching back to my bike i was so happy, the super smooth engine, no vibrations, solid feeling etc made me appreciate my bike more. Royal Enfield has come a long way indeed.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20201205_114226.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks