Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2021, 20:49   #2626
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Since we're talking about idle RPMs I have a couple of questions.

As soon as I start the bike the RPM is closer to 2K. After about a couple seconds(when it's cold) at most, it comes down to below 1.5K. Is this normal or should it be coming down immediately?

My other concern is about the RPM varying ever so slightly when idle. I've seen other instances online and on this thread as well and some extreme cases too, but there was no resolution or diagnosis for that matter. It still continues to scare me. Should I be worried?

On the other hand, it seems that the idle RPM is a tad high. I'll sort that out myself if I have he confidence to after watching the video above. If not I'll get it sorted out during the my next visit to the service centre. That's not far away, because the bike has a bent T-stump which requires replacement. Hopefully, there's nothing wrong with the forks.
Old 23rd February 2021, 22:10   #2627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adwaith View Post
Since we're talking about idle RPMs I have a couple of questions.

As soon as I start the bike the RPM is closer to 2K. After about a couple seconds(when it's cold) at most, it comes down to below 1.5K. Is this normal or should it be coming down immediately?
All fuel injected engines run at higher than idle speed when the engine is cold. Use the choke if the bike has one and disengage it as soon as you start the bike. It is a normal feature for rev's to drop and settle after the engine reaches the optimal running temperature.

Not sure of the interceptor but for my bonnie the recommended idle speed is 1100 rpm.

Quote:
My other concern is about the RPM varying ever so slightly when idle. I've seen other instances online and on this thread as well and some extreme cases too, but there was no resolution or diagnosis for that matter. It still continues to scare me. Should I be worried?
If you don't see any warning lights, esp. the FI and check engine light, you're ok. Slightly erratic idle could be due to bad fuel or improper tuning. Ask the service engineer to connect the laptop to the EFI system and check for error codes and if all readings are within the tolerances.
n_aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 04:47   #2628
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rituj View Post
1)how do I check for water in the fuel? I recently topped the fuel again as
Hard to say what is going on here. Can you take out the spark plugs and inspect them? They should not be wet. If they are, fueling is rich or the plugs are not igniting at the right time. This can relate to the TCI or Transistor Coil Ignition system the bike uses. I'd check for vacuum leaks along the air intake line. Also check for loose earth, proper grounding of the battery connections.

You'll have to drain fuel out (Atleast 500ml) from the tank and inspect in a transparent bottle. If its all fuel, there should be no color variation. If there is a lot of water, you'll find fuel floating on top.

Quote:
Is this normal or should it be coming down immediately?
On cold start up, its usually around 1600rpm, fluctuating by +/- 100 rpm. This drops down to ~1300 when the engine is warm. The rpm is definitely not steady, like that of a car. I would not worry too much for minor fluctuations. I've shared a video a few pages ago which shows cold engine idle rpm. The unsteadiness can be seen. There is also a photo I shared a couple of days ago of the rpm reading from a warm engine.

I would not worry too much about this unless the rpm fluctuates like crazy, or drops too low.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 09:19   #2629
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
All fuel injected engines run at higher than idle speed when the engine is cold. Use the choke if the bike has one and disengage it as soon as you start the bike. It is a normal feature for rev's to drop and settle after the engine reaches the optimal running temperature.

If you don't see any warning lights, esp. the FI and check engine light, you're ok. Slightly erratic idle could be due to bad fuel or improper tuning. Ask the service engineer to connect the laptop to the EFI system and check for error codes and if all readings are within the tolerances.
Thank you so much! I shall speak to the service advisor but since this is something that is common and no resolution has been found so far I don't think it's an issue they can fix via software.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post

On cold start up, its usually around 1600rpm, fluctuating by +/- 100 rpm. This drops down to ~1300 when the engine is warm. The rpm is definitely not steady, like that of a car. I would not worry too much for minor fluctuations. I've shared a video a few pages ago which shows cold engine idle rpm. The unsteadiness can be seen. There is also a photo I shared a couple of days ago of the rpm reading from a warm engine.

I would not worry too much about this unless the rpm fluctuates like crazy, or drops too low.
Thank you for your reply!

The thing that concerns me is that for a car the change is gentle whereas for the interceptor the RPM needle keeps wagging like a dog's tail, even though the change is really small.
Old 24th February 2021, 11:04   #2630
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Guys this may sound weird, but the left side bend pipe on my Interceptor 650 is turning colour (brownish gold) wheres the right is perfect in chrome condition !! Is this a cause for worry ?!
Old 24th February 2021, 11:18   #2631
BHPian

Quote:
It's a Bell Qualifier and I'm very happy with it.

I was also asked to lube the chain every 15 days. If you could please suggest a lube and cleaner to me I would be grateful. Also each time I lube the chain should I strip it off the old lube?
Hi,

Do you see an ECE certification on the Bell? It's an American lid and has not bothered much for a ECE certification it seems.

The reason I ask, 'coz I see a recent increase in Bell helmet stocks in shops.

Chain lubrication is upto you and your riding environment. Yes, cleaning is very important as the lube on dirt grime doesn't help. Buy a cleaner that has penetrating property to dislodge the muck like 3M. Get a lube which has paraffin wax as an component, let it settle for a coat. Don't over do things

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
Old 24th February 2021, 14:18   #2632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hi,

Do you see an ECE certification on the Bell? It's an American lid and has not bothered much for a ECE certification it seems.
Let me chime in here. This is the sticker I have on the back of my Bell Qualifier. I guess Bell did certify it with ECE for the European markets.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1d0859f18aa9465d9e383b0b5fcc0774.jpeg
TheDarkKnight is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 14:58   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
the left side bend pipe on my Interceptor 650 is turning colour (brownish gold)
Exhaust pipe discoloration occurs due to excess heat. Either that cylinder is running too lean or too rich. Please take the bike to your service center as soon as possible.
Old 24th February 2021, 15:33   #2634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
Let me chime in here. This is the sticker I have on the back of my Bell Qualifier. I guess Bell did certify it with ECE for the European markets.
Thanks for sharing, can you post in the Helmet thread regarding your experience with the Bell Qualifier.

/surjaonwheelz
Old 24th February 2021, 18:35   #2635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
Either that cylinder is running too lean or too rich
Or the exhaust valve clearance is too small or non-existent. Same recommendation: take the bike to a service centre.
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 18:39   #2636
BHPian

Quote:
On the other hand, it seems that the idle RPM is a tad high
The Owner's Manual says it should be 1200+80 RPM
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 09:42   #2637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Hi,

One of the criteria that I set while picking out a helmet was that it had a certification which was not DOT. The Bell Qualifier is in fact ECE certified.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20210225_093421.jpg

Quote:
The reason I ask, 'coz I see a recent increase in Bell helmet stocks in shops.
On the contrary, I found it quite difficult to get my hands on one. Very few designs were available and there was the problem with size availability.(I wear a medium) But this was the case across other brands as well. They attributed it to Covid and the inability to import.

Quote:
Chain lubrication is upto you and your riding environment. Yes, cleaning is very important as the lube on dirt grime doesn't help. Buy a cleaner that has penetrating property to dislodge the muck like 3M. Get a lube which has paraffin wax as an component, let it settle for a coat. Don't over do things

Ride safe,
surjaonwheelz
Thank you! I have looked at a few options but can't decide. Do you have any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
The Owner's Manual says it should be 1200+80 RPM
It's definitely higher on my bike. I need to get it fixed. Thanks!

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th February 2021 at 10:13. Reason: Fixed quotes
adwaith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 12:14   #2638
BHPian

Quote:
The Bell Qualifier is in fact ECE certified.
I've the same Blood group sticker and the same blood group also

Quote:
But this was the case across other brands as well. They attributed it to Covid and the inability to import.
This is the case mostly.

Quote:
Thank you! I have looked at a few options but can't decide. Do you have any suggestions?
3M chain cleaner OR Tetra Clean de-greaser (I use)
Maxima chain wax OR if you have Shell petrol pump nearby, there's a Shell branded chain lube (I got it for free with engine oil)
These are good but you have to get your hands dirty

surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 13:52   #2639
Senior - BHPian

2021 Royal Enfield 650 Twins new colour options leaked

According to a recent leak, the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 are set to get new colour options.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-royalenfield650twinscoloursleak1600x450.jpg

The Interceptor is likely to get 4 new colour options which include Ravishing Black, Gray Goose, Ventura Blue and Royal Red. The Continental GT gets 4 new colours - British Racing Lean, GT Red, Ventura Black and Blue as well as Cookies and Cream.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-royalenfield650twinscoloursleak2600x450.jpg

Besides the new colours, the 650 Twins are expected to get an updated instrument cluster featuring Royal Enfield's Tripper turn-by-turn navigation.

Both bikes will be offered with the same 648cc, air-cooled, parallel-twin engine. It produces 47 BHP and 52 Nm and will be paired with a 6-speed gearbox via a slipper clutch.

Source: Rushlane

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 25th February 2021 at 13:53.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 14:27   #2640
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2021 Royal Enfield 650 Twins new colour options leaked

From what I heard, along with the navigation, it is going to include customization options which may include alloy wheels as well, which hopefully means tubeless tyres.
tharian is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed