Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2021, 18:51   #2656
BHPian

Re: Battery or RR Issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Some pictures of the throttle body assembly and rpm of a warm engine. ~1250 to 1300 rpm.
Can you elaborate a bit on idle rpm issue?
Hey Sandeep.

Can you do me a small favor?

Whenever you get time with the bike, just use a flat head screw driver and let me know the number of 180 degree turns those brass screws are out from their tightest position. For both the sides.

Just restore your stock position for each screw after checking.

If anyone else can also do it, it would be great as i want to know if these screws are all the way in for everyone.

Thanks!!
rituj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 07:02   #2657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rituj View Post
Mayte, I am going to give this one a pass, direct this to a FM who feels more confident about this, as I don't feel confident about meddling with a electronic throttle body. It does looks pretty straight forward, almost like a carburetor idle, air fuel ratio adjustment screw but still. I've never touched something like this, especially with electronics tied in and feeding two cylinders. If I am can't balance them again, I am screwed. I don't have a scanner on hand too. Besides; Royal Enfield's presence in my part of the world is minimal. I'll have to bank on mechanics that charge an hourly rate which equals to the weekly emi I pay for the bike :-). Sorry.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 07:05   #2658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Sandeep.

The easiest way to do this for yourself is to take your bike to tbe closest service center, pull the test bike out and compare using dealership staff.

If still in doubt, visit the next service center.

Continue until objectives are met.

Or join a group ride and fiddle with your mate's bike when he isn't looking
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 07:21   #2659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The easiest way to do this for yourself is to take your bike to tbe closest service center, pull the test bike out and compare using dealership staff.

If still in doubt, visit the next service center.

Continue until objectives are met.

Or join a group ride and fiddle with your mate's bike when he isn't looking
Already been there 3 times. They see the issue but can't find the culprit.

And i can't bring a screw driver and start screwing stuff sneakily.

Just need to know how far out are those screws for most of the people.

You can easily restore the screw to the original position.

BTW, for reference this is the screw I am talking about. Would be a great help and you can just restore them. The bike doesn't need to be started for any of this.
The one in the middle with the white mark

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-resizer_16148237876530.jpg

Last edited by rituj : 4th March 2021 at 07:41.
Old 4th March 2021, 09:08   #2660
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I've the same Blood group sticker and the same blood group also

This is the case mostly.

3M chain cleaner OR Tetra Clean de-greaser (I use)
Maxima chain wax OR if you have Shell petrol pump nearby, there's a Shell branded chain lube (I got it for free with engine oil)
These are good but you have to get your hands dirty

surjaonwheelz
Thank you for your suggestions!

There are no Shell outlets nearby so I'll have to go with one of the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
From what I heard, along with the navigation, it is going to include customization options which may include alloy wheels as well, which hopefully means tubeless tyres.
I just hope that we too get an option to get the tripper navigation fitted onto our bikes.

Last edited by adwaith : 4th March 2021 at 09:19.
adwaith is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 13:15   #2661
BHPian

Quote:
Almost 9 months with the INT650 Odo reads 3,535 kms

Yes, I need to remove that saree guard!

A year passed by with 6,000 kms on the odo

Plenty of weekend rides and another short ride to the beach in the Konkan region (Anjarle beach) till the first birthday in Feb 2021, phew a year passed by!

Done with my annual service
- Oil + oil filter change - charged
- Air filter NOT changed. I asked them to but they didn't!
- 2nd free service coupon - SA told, clutch cable adjust, spark plugs cleaning, tightening of engine/frame mounts, air filter checking, ECU scanning etc. carried out (I doubt but at least he listed down the work carried out) Bike was washed too
- Chain adjust & lube - charged - This is their birth right it seems and can't stop this from adding to your bill. To gain customer confidence they do the lube in front of the customer which I happily declined.

The following 2 jobs I had mentioned.
- Valve clearance check - found to be within limits
- Wobbling issue - tapered bearing set changed (cone set)

Total cost of service: 2,868/-

I took an appointment over phone and reached service center in the morning. But this time they said work will only start in the 2nd half as previous day's bikes are pending. I had planned to stay back but had to leave the bike with them. They said they'll try to deliver in the evening but later informed that the cone set work for wobbling issue will require another day and the bike will be ready the next day. I had no other option but to oblige.

The next day when I went to receive the bike the workshop manager came with a big smile and said, "Sir let's go for a ride!" I was pleasantly surprised with his confidence. He took me to a lane where we could do decent speeds to check the issue. It seems to be resolved for now!

Earlier I had raised this issue but he said this needs time and we will do it in our annual service. I waited patiently. Done only city rides after the service, need to see on highway rides but gut feeling is good. We can only trust our service centers for doing what is required. I asked them why don't you open the front sprocket cover and clean that too? He was frank enough to say that they don't do it as it's not part of their service guidelines but encouraged me to do it, DIY.

As mentioned in Torino's post I had removed the windshield prior to service as I didn't want them to fiddle with it during steering work. The windblast without it is pronounced but I like the clean looks for a change! Finally, I removed the saree guard.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210224_00195601.jpeg

Bike is mostly stock, except for the handle bar risers as of now! Browsing through the accessories list, may be something for pillion comfort next.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 4th March 2021 at 13:42.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 14:41   #2662
BHPian

Quote:

If anyone else can also do it, it would be great as i want to know if these screws are all the way in for everyone.

Thanks!!
Why don't you go for a test drive of the interceptor or the GT, carry a screw driver in your pocket, stop midway somewhere and check the number of turns of the screw! That's the only way i can think of
Old 4th March 2021, 17:20   #2663
BHPian

Quote:
BTW, for reference this is the screw I am talking about. Would be a great help and you can just restore them. The bike doesn't need to be started for any of this.
rituj, I think, you're obsessed with the screw settings. Service center folks must have seen more bikes and trust them on the screw position. There's some idle 'breathing' in most bikes (fluctuations)

Your throttle body is cleaned and everything is in place as per the service center. Just go for a good ride and bring the fluids to optimal temperatures (min 100kms).

Ideally, you'll need an expert mechanic and a vacuum gauge to fix this. Superbikes also have this problem and the SVCs sometimes can't solve it.

If your ECU is scanned and no error code or DTC is registered then you should be fine.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-650sm.jpg
Reference from the Service manual. A lot more components to worry than the screw!
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 17:32   #2664
BHPian

Quote:
rituj, I think, you're obsessed with the screw settings. Service center folks must have seen more bikes and trust them on the screw position. There's some idle 'breathing' in most bikes (fluctuations)

Your throttle body is cleaned and everything is in place as per the service center. Just go for a good ride and bring the fluids to optimal temperatures (min 100kms).

Ideally, you'll need an expert mechanic and a vacuum gauge to fix this. Superbikes also have this problem and the SVCs sometimes can't solve it.

If your ECU is scanned and no error code or DTC is registered then you should be fine.
Attachment 2128538
Reference from the Service manual. A lot more components to worry than the screw!
I'm worried about the screw because an overconfident SC guy fiddled with them to get my rpm up when I went there a month ago for this issue(My bike wasn't even starting). Later I found out that these are not meant to be fiddled with and now the SC can't figure anything out.
Been there 4 times already, spending a total of 20 hours there.

And as for riding it, ofcourse I am, because this is my daily commute vehicle.

I'm the kind of guy who tries to get a solution myself rather than being dependent on incompetent people.
rituj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 17:52   #2665
BHPian

Quote:
I'm worried about the screw because an overconfident SC guy fiddled with them to get my rpm up when I went there a month ago for this issue(My bike wasn't even starting). Later I found out that these are not meant to be fiddled with and now the SC can't figure anything out.
Been there 4 times already, spending a total of 20 hours there.
Mate, you need to find another SC then. I don't see any other solution to this. Nowadays all service history is centrally stored with RE, you can check on the official RE app. Going to a different service center should be seamless. Just start afresh with the current problem you're facing and talk to the mechanic if not confident don't let them fiddle further. Or simply wait for the new throttle body to arrive till then ride it out!
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 18:58   #2666
BHPian

Quote:
Actually i suddenly started having startup issues on a warm engine. The bike would struggle to start and die at around 600rpm (sometimes would start and go to 1200 as expected).
I showed it to the service centre and the guy didn't know what else to do so he loosened these screws on both sides and now it's working fine but I feel that something else might be the issue here. I don't know what these screws do to be honest. Would be great to know what the actual issue might be and what these screws do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Considering the manual does not even venture or talk about touching those screws, I'd be careful meddling with them.
Quote:
Hey would it be possible for you(or anyone for that matter) to send a similar video but only when the bike is warmed up with ignition after the sweep is done?
It would also be great if you could add a closeup of the brass screws on each sides' throttle body (photo attached for reference). I think mine are not calibrated properly and hence having idle rpm issues.
Quote:
Whenever you get time with the bike, just use a flat head screw driver and let me know the number of 180 degree turns those brass screws are out from their tightest position
The workshop manual is detailed and comprehensive. If it does not mention those screws, it is because they are not intended to be used for adjustment. Semi-confirmed by them being sealed with tamper-evident paint.

Yes, when the SC loosened those screws the idle speed increased but that does not show they control the idle speed or are intended to adjust the idle speed.

The sudden onset and intermittent nature of starting and idling problems are not consistent with a minor mal-adjustment. They suggest intermittent blockage (improbable on an injector system) or breakage.

You mention many hours at SC but do not mention them diagnosing the ECU which would include diagnosing its sensors ... ?
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 19:05   #2667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
The workshop manual is detailed and comprehensive.
=======
You mention many hours at SC but do not mention them diagnosing the ECU which would include diagnosing its sensors ... ?
Agreed. That's what I'm trying to do. To restore them to the factory level using the paint and number of turns input from you guys(I'm hoping to hear that everybody has it within 180 degrees out from tightest position, that way I can restore mine too). Albeit not the correct method but that's the best I can do, but I don't think anyone's gonna provide me the details for the screws here.

And i think you haven't been to the SC that often but all they can do is connect the diagnostic tool and stare at it with hope. Even the RE engineer came and couldn't solve the issue, surely he must've known better.

And yes, all things like sensor wire check, cleaning, tappet adjustment 3 times, throttle body cleaning 2 times, battery check, etc. Etc.. Has been done countless number of times.
Old 4th March 2021, 19:50   #2668
BHPian

As per latest from RE showroom executives, production of current interceptor has been stopped and booking from now will be handled with upcoming new version. So we can expect launch soon in month or so.
chaudharysaab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 21:49   #2669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudharysaab View Post
As per latest from RE showroom executives, production of current interceptor has been stopped and booking from now will be handled with upcoming new version. So we can expect launch soon in month or so.
This could be true as I didn't see a single new 650 twin in the stock yard when I visited the service center in the last week of February! But what if someone has already booked and waiting for delivery?
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th March 2021, 22:18   #2670
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This could be true as I didn't see a single new 650 twin in the stock yard when I visited the service center in the last week of February! But what if someone has already booked and waiting for delivery?
Guess they will be moved ahead in the Queue with the new bikes, and i am sure if you are getting new version by waiting for a month, not many will mind. The price hike though will be a different story, I was scheduled to get my bike on 13th April, I presume it might now head to May.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks