Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2021, 08:12   #2671
Senior - BHPian

Short Fly Screen Install

Imagine the excitement one gets when you receive a new toy or accessory. You can't wait to get your hands on it. After a 3 week wait, the short fly screen was delivered. Things take time in New Zealand as motorcycle parts are shipped from Australia and they usually come as part of another bulk order. With the recommended time to install suggesting 45 minutes, I could not wait to install it. I decided to wait till the weekend and that turned out to be a good thing as it took just over two hours to install the fly screen.

Preferred Tools: Torque wrench and Phillips head screw driver. I had the latter and a set of spanners. The former is better as there is limited working room to use a spanner set when you need to loosen and tighten the indicator nut. You'll have to constantly turn and remove the spanner from the nut. A torque wrench will be easier and also allows for correct torque application when you tighten the nut.

In the Box : Fly screen (Acrylic), Embellisher unit, 2 bolts, 2 mounting brackets, 4 allen key screws, 4 rubber grommets, 4 metal washers or sleeves (RE calls it a Top Hat), Instruction booklet.

What Royal Enfield can do is improve the quality of Instructions for fitting this fly screen. One is the tiny little booklet with letters so small that some may need to magnifying glass to read it. When you cram in some much information, there is only so much illustrations can provide. Its also not clear if you are supposed to fit the rubber grommets or just the metal sleeves between the fly screen and embellisher. Clearly you need both, or, I screwed up.

My bike was manufactured in 2020, which means the headlamp release screws are on the lower side of the headlamp bowl. There is a screw on each side. The instructions tell you to loosen the screws, not take them out entirely, like the central top mounted screw for the previous dome unit. You need to take them out for this new design. Once you get the screws out, it takes considerable effort to release the front headlamp bezel which holds the headlamp glass. Its a tight fit and its not due to any internal wiring. The unit is hinged at the top. Releasing the electrical terminals for the headlamp and pilot lamp are easy. Once you pull these out, its best to place the bezel unit on some soft surface. I must have spent about 30 minutes just to take out the headlamp bezel. To Royal Enfield's credit, I will say this new screw placement is better as with the old top mounted screw, you will have difficulty putting it back or tightening the screw if you do not have a long screw driver, as the embellisher comes in the way after you've installed it.

I followed the advice on the instructions book to install the brackets one side at a time so you don't loose factory alignment of the dome unit. I started with the left indicator. When you get access to the dome unit, you'll find all the wires fastened behind a stressed fastening clip, which is screwed to the back of the dome unit. There is a technical word for this part that I am unable to recall. Due to this spring contraption (fastening clip), its a bit hard to get your little screw driver to push the tiny notch on the black electrical (or molex) connector for the left hand indicator. Once you release the connector, take the wire out carefully from the behind the dome unit. You may want to release the wiring for the right hand indicator at this stage. Up to you. That's a white connector. It is possible to remove the spring kind of contraption that's holding all the wires by using a T Spanner. Will make it easier to get to the molex connectors. Once you've got the wires out of the dome unit, you can loosen the nut holding the indicator. At this stage, the manual tells you to keep the nut, washer and bolt safe. Thing is, there isn't a washer for the left hand indicator. The washer is replaced with a metal wire stay. The right hand indicator unit does have a metal washer. Once you've got the nut out, you can slowly pull out the bolt holding the left indicator unit. It takes a little effort as there is the stress of the cable stay. Take care to guide the wires out.

Loosen and taken out the left side headlamp dome nut. This nut is replaced by the two that comes with the packaging. Take the left mounting bracket with the top screw holes facing away from the headlight dome. I'd secure this first with the headlamp dome unit. With the bracket secured with one bolt, you can now prepare to put back the left indicator unit. Once again, take care to route the cables carefully. It takes a little jiggling to push the indicator unit through the hole. There is a notch on the indicator unit and it can go in only one way. Tighten the indicator and headlamp dome bolt. Dome bolt to be tightened to 20nm. Reconnect indicator wiring, that is the black to black molex connector.

Repeat the above steps for the right hand side bracket mount. Right hand indicator molex connector is white.

Once you've got the brackets fixed, you can refit the headlamp bezel unit. Before you put back the bezel screws, check that all lights work. There was a yellow unused molex connector that is sealed off from use. You may also want to tidy up the wires behind the fastening clip that is secured by a central screw inside the dome.

This next bit is the easiest, that is, fixing the embellisher with the flyscreen. I've done it my way so open to discussing this. The instructions (Paper or online) are not clear and no YouTube video explain the purpose or existence of metal sleeves or top hat. I have fixed 4 rubber grommets on the acrylic fly screen and inserted the metal sleeves through it (From the riders side) so it firms up the rubber grommets. Hold and align the screw holes of the fly screen and embellisher to the brackets and insert 4 allen key screws. Give it a few turns to start with. Once you secure all screws, tighten to 2nm.

That's it. You have installed your new fly screen. I think the fly screen is more for aesthetic improvement and to offer some protection for the clocks. It does change the appearance of the bike. Takes a little away from that all macho look. The following day, I did a ~300km ride for the heck of it. The fly screen was secure and there were no vibrations or the unit flapping due to 30kmph winds.

Box of goodies
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_103851.jpg

Headlamp bezel, reflector assembly. Was a struggle taking it out.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_110047.jpg

Headlamp dome. Note the fastening clip securing all the wires.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_110052.jpg

Rubber grommet, metal sleeve or top hat, replacement bolts for the dome and allen key screws and the ones I took out from the bike.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_111938.jpg

Left hand indicator unit showing the notch. You align this notch to the metal alloy bit that holds the headlamp unit.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_112156.jpg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_112131.jpg

The metal wire stay for the left indicator. The side with no metal washer.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_115205.jpg

Metal brackets installed. All wiring connected and checked. Headlamp bezel fixed.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_114625.jpg

I believe what I did here is wrong. Embellisher with only the metal sleeves installed. This is what the instructions say.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_115004.jpg

The right way to do it. Install rubber grommets and slip in the metal sleeves through it.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_123220.jpg

A close up view of the fly screen, embellisher secured to the metal brackets.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_123854.jpg

We are done.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210306_123625.jpg

Test spin and cruising around the country side.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210307_155700.jpg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210307_162209.jpg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210307_160142.jpg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210307_152419.jpg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210307_171245.jpg

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 8th March 2021 at 08:20.
sandeepmohan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 8th March 2021, 10:36   #2672
BHPian

Re: Short Fly Screen Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Left hand indicator unit showing the notch. You align this notch to the metal alloy bit that holds the headlamp unit.
I feel RE has unnecessarily complicated the whole installation process. What I would suggest RE that they put slots instead of holes for the indicator stalk mounts.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-fly.jpg
Something like this, just loosen the indicators and slot it in. No need to open the headlight dome, disconnect and remove the indicators completely!

We faced this when we had to remove the tall fly screen to install the carbon racing windshield!

When you're bored of this look, just remove the metal plate for a clean tinted visor look.

Good job

surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 8th March 2021 at 10:38.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th March 2021, 19:50   #2673
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Me too only the neutral indicator became a top gear indicator which was useful to avoid up shifts when already in top gear (and I never use neutral so loss of original function was no loss for me). Unfortunately it stopped working altogether. At the second service, RE workshop said they would replace it under warranty and would contact me when it was in stock in about a month. Four months later and they haven't contacted me.
I posted that on 2 Feb 2021 after which I phoned to remind the RE workshop. Still they have not contacted me about the warranty replacement neutral indicator switch. What should I do next? Is there a RE complaints procedure?
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 10:34   #2674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
I posted that on 2 Feb 2021 after which I phoned to remind the RE workshop. Still they have not contacted me about the warranty replacement neutral indicator switch. What should I do next? Is there a RE complaints procedure?
Just check the waiting area in your SVC. You will find the details of the escalations mechanism and the contact number of service head for the region. Just contact that person. Also send an email with your details to their customer care. Things will get quickly sorted out after that.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2021, 13:57   #2675
Distinguished - BHPian

Unofficially it has been confirmed to me by the person I was interacting that my booking is delayed, and he will update shortly once he has further updates. So I guess it won't be too long we will see new colors and some additional features announced for the Twins.
AtheK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 13:09   #2676
BHPian

Tired of buffing and polishing the engine cover, magnet cover and Heads, used Menezerna polish once too but these parts went dull too fast everytime. So I went ahead and got them powdercoated. Also the guard bought from Okeasyshop bangkok rusted and chipped off within 1 month, hence got the Engine guard and pillion foot extenders processed too.

The process goes:
Sandblasting, Primer and Textured Powdercoat.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-64a7c9b6d77b490186717dba61e409a6.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-00f0416e47bd457db4715982bddc8ae2.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-23757f74f1794ff6a9385a08a51b7d21.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-e4c4d77c63e44b759922f4d4ebef6fd8.jpg

The final outcome:

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_9978.jpg

One thing I learnt that the gasket kits are not easy to come by and Re service guys don’t sell them over the counter. I had to hunt for them in various RE spares shops.

Makes me super happy with the results

Last edited by The Great : 13th March 2021 at 13:19.
The Great is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 13:49   #2677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
Tired of buffing and polishing the engine cover, magnet cover and Heads, used Menezerna polish once too but these parts went dull too fast everytime. So I went ahead and got them powdercoated. Also the guard bought from Okeasyshop bangkok rusted and chipped off within 1 month, hence got the Engine guard and pillion foot extenders processed too.

That looks fantastic, the finish is very good, what was the total cost?
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 13:58   #2678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
That looks fantastic, the finish is very good, what was the total cost?
Thanks Sir.
5.5k for the Powdercoating and 2K for the labour including the Gasket Kit, removal refit and transportation.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 14:07   #2679
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks Sir.
5.5k for the Powdercoating and 2K for the labour including the Gasket Kit, removal refit and transportation.
How long did it take for the whole process?

Want to see RE's reaction to this. Lovely MOD sir!
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 14:18   #2680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
How long did it take for the whole process?

Want to see RE's reaction to this. Lovely MOD sir!
It took around 4 days for the whole process.

Didn’t want to do the normal gloss finish or flat black. Did the grainy finish with just a tinge of grey colour added to the black. The textured finish is “inspired” by Triumph
The Great is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 14:30   #2681
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It took around 4 days for the whole process.

Didn’t want to do the normal gloss finish or flat black. Did the grainy finish with just a tinge of grey colour added to the black. The textured finish is “inspired” by Triumph
Brilliant, any reason you left out the exhaust, that will complete the look I guess.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2021, 14:36   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Brilliant, any reason you left out the exhaust, that will complete the look I guess.
I am taking it slow as the bike is only 1 year old.

Will soon look for lighter options for the end cans.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:31   #2683
BHPian

One impulsive decision and I have joined the biking bandwagon !!!

My friend bought an interceptor in 2020 and due to lockdown, I was only able to get my hands on it in January 2021. Just a casual twist on throttle and a short ride of 3 km made me realize that biking is so much more fun than driving.

This led to loads of online reading, well, for 2 hours and I booked my baker express on 16th January. It appears all the spirits and energies of this universe wanted me to go ahead with the ownership, back to back two baker express cancellations meant I was next in the list for delivery and the D-Day happened on 24th January !!!
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-bike-delivery.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 14th March 2021 at 13:34. Reason: As requested.
BB311 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 12:38   #2684
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The final outcome:

This is an excellent outcome - I have been wondering since ages about the dull look of the parts you got sandblasted and powdercoated. Is this from the same workshop in Juhu?
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 15:04   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Is this from the same workshop in Juhu?
This is a small workshop but very old and experienced guy, he has a very basic setup near the junction of Amboli police station - Jogeshwari and Goregaon.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks