Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2021, 05:17   #2926
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I was planning to pick up a used GT 650, but Urban Nomad's steal of a deal on the Interceptor has kinda shifted the goalposts Would love to have the opinion here about this bike, especially the price. After a test ride, here are the goods and the bads.
I've been eyeing the same bike and as you mentioned, the dealer isn't budging below 2.6. The bike looks clean, and if you are okay with the price, you should go for it. I don't think you'll find a better deal on a GT in Chandigarh. I've been looking at GTs and Interceptors for the last year and I haven't seen lower pricing than this.

After reading Urban Nomad's post, I feel all the Interceptors and GTs on sale in the Chandigarh area are way too overpriced.

Last edited by cataclysm : 11th July 2021 at 05:21.
cataclysm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 10:33   #2927
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
got them down to 2.6 but not budging lower
The bike looks mint! Whether or not its the right price depends on the one who'll be paying it. If it were me however, I wouldn't buy this one

My simple funda for buying used is that it should save me substantial enough money over buying new. Again whats substantial is subjective. Like in this case, how far is a brand new bike? I dont think it's even a full lakh you are saving here

I'm assuming that 2.6 you would pay would be cash and not a loan. Lets say that's exactly how much you have with u and not a paisa more. How much would an emi on a brand new bike for 60 - 70k be? I dont have the exact figures here but can't be more than a meal at a not fancy restaurant with the family

New bike, full warranty, colour of your choice (like that British racing green ) and of course the new bike smell LOL

If you aren't averse to picking up a gurgaon registered bike, we have an interceptor for sale, 5000 kms, 2019, ridden by a merchant navy officer, zero dep insurance for the next 3 years, accessories like sump and engine guard, tail rack, shad 42 top box, backrest installed

Asking 2.3, will easily become 2.2 with cash on table
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20210625wa0018.jpg  

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 11th July 2021 at 10:37.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 20:03   #2928
BHPian

Used automobiles are not for everyone

The first test ride and inspection of the bike happened in the dark. We reached the dealer during the day, but he arrived late, and then spent an hour hunting for the bike through his various dungeons cum storage units. The bike felt mechanically sound, but that's all we could tell with a phone flash.

The second test ride happened yesterday in daylight, and I soon noticed that the front brake lever was a bit bent. That immediately took the attention to the bar end, and that was scuffed too. Following the trail I looked at the rear brake lever, bent as well. Finally, the exhaust, sure enough, small dent and scratches.

The bike had no leg guard, so my next look was at the engine casing and the tank on the right. They looked pristine, but soon noticed that the frame near the casing had some paint rubbed off. Asked the dealer, and he said they used one of those rotating buffers to shine the whole bike, and in the process ended up rubbing against the frame. That would explain why no scratches on the casing or the tank, and why the bike looks mint, suspiciously so.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210711_161550.jpg

So the bike's been dropped, no biggie, happens all the time, but the way the dealer denied everything at every step of my inspection really made me nervous. An obviously bent lever was "not bent at all" for him. If he was denying things like CIA that anyone could clearly see, there could be more that I hadn't noticed at all.

His explanation for everything was "owner's gate was very narrow". Must be narrow indeed to bend the front brake lever away from the handlebar.

While looking for other signs of the bike being dropped, noticed that the left rider footpeg was also broken. Don't know how they managed to do that, perhaps all that shoving around in tiny shops filled to the neck with bikes did it. It was fine on the first test ride.

And then there were other weird issues I noticed while test riding. The speedo sensor was gone, the needle moved from 0 to 100 and back again in the space of a few seconds, clearly drunk, possibly a sign of odo disconnection attempt gone bad? The engine oil was black, definitely not the yellow-ish tinge of the Liquid Gun stuff, was it really only some 2k kms old? The bike wouldn't start even in neutral, unless the clutch was pulled, but then later it worked without the clutch too, sensor gremlins?

And of course, there was always this rusting on the exhausts, looks like a pain to get rid of.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210711_163310.jpg

I explain this to the dealer, that there's at least 15k worth of stuff that the bike needs, including leg guard and sump guard and full service and levers and cables, before it's even worth a ride. On top of that the exhaust dent and scratches don't exactly help the bike's value, neither does the rust. Told him frankly the justified price is 2.3, but I'm in a good mood and really want the bike so I'll give you 2.5.

Unbelievably, the guy refused! So I walked away. It was mainly a matter of principle, 10k is not a big number when you're talking about 2.5L, but if we keep paying stupid prices, dealers will keep charging stupid prices

I'm done with used bikes. It's great to watch Wheeler Dealers check out different machines and negotiate on them, the whole experience left me tired and depleted of faith in humanity. I only looked at one machine, in total.

I'll be buying a new one, does anyone know if booking via the RE app still tends to get you the bike quicker compared to a showroom booking?
RiderZone is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 20:13   #2929
Distinguished - BHPian

Good call, too many alarm signs there. It is also not like that is the last bike in the used market. I would rather pay 10K more and get an absolutely clean bike and not live with the thought of what all was changed in my bike by previous owner.

That said the only problem getting a new bike is the waiting period, apparently in Bangalore the waiting period is around 4 months right now.
AtheK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th July 2021, 23:29   #2930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
My simple funda for buying used is that it should save me substantial enough money over buying new. Again whats substantial is subjective. Like in this case, how far is a brand new bike? I dont think it's even a full lakh you are saving here
I completely agree. The asking prices of pre owned Interceptor 650s in Kerala are so high, that you dont even feel like contacting the owner and asking about when you can see the bike. Instead you will go straight to the RE showroom and book a new one instead!

Quote:
Asking 2.3, will easily become 2.2 with cash on table
I wish such prices existed here!!

Quote:
I'll be buying a new one, does anyone know if booking via the RE app still tends to get you the bike quicker compared to a showroom booking?
Good decision to walk away. Way too many red flags. The current waiting period is 2 - 3 months. There is absolutely no difference to your waiting period, if you book from either the app or the showroom. I reconfirmed this just a few days ago.

What I remember is that booking through the MIY platform means that the amount is non refundable. If you book through the showroom its refundable. Something like that. Just check with your RE dealer.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 01:06   #2931
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I completely agree
Neil, need some help. Want to install the Powerage short slip on exhaust on my interceptor (feels good to type that he he) but can't find one anywhere. The regular long bazooka type is easily available but not the shorty.

I remember seeing a post from you on this thread which said it was available somewhere in Cochin. Do you mind checking:

- if its available
- price
- discount if we buy 2 or 3

Many thanks in advance!
Old 13th July 2021, 09:05   #2932
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Used automobiles are not for everyone
i would never buy a used automobile unless its from a trusted source. I have already burnt my hands buying a used Karizma. Circa 2014 when I got married, had a Pulsar 220. I traded it off for a preowned HH Karizma (5k run on the odo) since pillion comfort and upright position was what i was looking out for. Did a thorough inspection of the bike, even did a TD and everything looked perfect. The issue started cropping up after I took the bike on a long ride. The engine used to develop a loud ticking or rattling sound (similar to a metallic ball rattling inside a metal canister) which used to get very irritating. This sound used to come only when the engine was warm. Took it to one of my known mechanic. He did a thorough Inspection and below were his findings-
1- Scuff marks on the Piston, Gudgeon pin at small end had play
2- Clutch needed replacement- signs of heavy abuse, partial burn marks on clutch plates
3- Bike had met with a major accident, chassis was welded at multiple crucial joints
4- Tank had a dent on the side which i failed to notice
5- Crank needed a replacement
6- Possibility of speedo tampering
7- Alloy wheels had minor bends
It suddenly struck upon me that I had bought a heavily abused bike from a shady dealer who took my well maintained 220 and gave me an abused lemon.
Got the head and cylinder kit replaced with one that the mechanic managed to procure from the scrap yard. Sold off the bike with a minor loss and brought home a brand new classic 500 Desert Storm.
From that day I decided, no more pre owned automobiles, atleast from the dealers who deal with pre owned vehicles.
Fast forward 2021 i met the current owner (4th owner, I was the second owner). Was sad to see the condition of the bike (broken panels and faded paint) and yes the engine still had the rattling sound.

Quote:
Neil, need some help. Want to install the Powerage short slip on exhaust on my interceptor (feels good to type that he he) but can't find one anywhere. The regular long bazooka type is easily available but not the shorty.
Did you try contacting Powerage directly via whatsapp? They can ship the slip ons to you directly. They are based out in Coimbatore. That's how i got the slip on for my Himalayan, pretty friendly guys to deal with. If you are looking out in Cochin, you can contact Republic of bikers Kochi through their Instagram Page.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 13th July 2021 at 09:17.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:08   #2933
BHPian

Quote:
Its better to step-in to the showrooms, at times they do have stock in place, being somebody else cancelled their booking. Try your luck
nosfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 12:44   #2934
BANNED

If it helps, make it clear that you're ready to pay upfront the whole amount if they have a piece in stock and would let you do inspection and note down the VIN on invoice at the time of payment(This is Important).

As confirmed over call with their customer support. Once you have confirmed availability of a piece and made payment for the same then the Showroom is obliged to give you your motorcycle at the earliest, there is no way around this, especially when you have the VIN as proof on receipt.

Right before picking up the Bullet I did contemplate all options and the Interceptor wasn't available in my district but they had a handful of pieces in stock at the nearby district and promised delivery if I was willing to pay upfront.

So do try talking to various dealers in and around your district and I'm pretty sure you'd find a piece, though can't say much about colour choices as I recall they were limited at my time of purchase due to stock shortage, it didn't really bother me as I couldn't care less which colour motorcycle I rode provided it was legit.

As for used market prices, adding some thoughts and experiences.

A few weeks ago had the opportunity of considering an Interceptor with under 2k on the odo, it was an urgent sale and the owner was a Pilot returning to his native, asking was 2.2L with quite a few mods including exhausts and what not but I simply couldn't get myself to pay a premium for aftermarket exhaust which were/are a BIG NO for me, and in return I quoted a price south of 200k without the exhaust which was a No Go for the seller and the following day someone scooped it up for the initial asking price.

Considering KL prices this was a massive steal at 2.2L, Heck I could sell the aftermarket parts for 20k at the very least, in fact other options were priced at close to the 3L mark with quite a lot of miles on the clock.

But the reason for backing out was that the Interceptor once again really didn't feel like it was worth the effort for me, which was why I didn't get one in the first place. But in all honesty if I'd get one for a really low price with low miles and no modifications then I might consider picking one up.

So I hope you see the irony in this. It is a motorcycle I find worth having in the garage for the aspirational value it offers(Multi Cylinder, Braap Braap Sound, Social Mileage etc), but not one that would really pull my heart strings.

Hence to clear ambiguity, I'd make it concise by saying that whatever the experience, it is still best to spend some time with the motorcycle before buying new, else buying used makes the most sense cause if all it doesn't work out you could simply park or sell it and either way the money lost wouldn't really cripple you financially.

But then again, if you're knowledgeable about motorcycles and know deep down that nothing but the Interceptor would do then simply go for it.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2021, 13:31   #2935
BHPian

Fabulous review, Crazy Driver! My test ride on the Interceptor 650 had me grinning madly. The exhaust note is to die for. While taking U-turns, the bike felt a bit heavy but I guess its a matter of getting used to. At 5'10'', I felt the bike's ergonomics were quite sorted for my build and weight. Haven't taken a pillion test. Sadly, reports of silencer and chassis rusting or showing signs of wear early on on the internet have made me hesitant about buying this otherwise awesome bike. Hope these are sorted
mugen_pinaki27 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 22:04   #2936
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello to fellow Interceptor riders!!

Took delivery of my interceptor 650 yesterday which was booked in February. Needed a bike which can help me ride long and also run city errands wherein I need to ride around 70-80 kms in a day. This will be also used for morning rides with missus as company. I wanted the downtown drag color, but was told by dealership that new booking will need to be made, and that meant another 4 months of waiting. Decided I will buy off the tank later, everything else is anyway the same.

Got the following accessories

1. Touring Seat
2. Bar end mirrors
3. Touring Mirrors (Not installed, but there has been price hike for all accessories, bumping price of these mirror to 6250 from 4850 earlier. Dealer had few pairs at old rates, so kept a pair for later when I go touring long, will swap them with bar ends, and get a handguard installed)
4. Leg Guard
5. Sump Guard
6. Black Magic Flyscreen.

Need to keep it below 80, for first 500 kms. Rode it in city for around 40 kms yesterday, encountering rain and mud, RE in it's elements on day one. What a beautiful refined engine. In a Typical RE ownership experience, i had some noise coming from rear, turned out to be some issue with brake pads, and they were changed immediately. God knows who does PDI, the fun journey of owning a RE begins, looking forward to it.

Just before Delivery

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210716_153559.jpg

During Delivery

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210716_153920.jpg

While getting back home

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210716_174549.jpg

Got a flip key conversion done.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210717_183734.jpg

Last edited by AtheK : 17th July 2021 at 22:24.
AtheK is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 11:32   #2937
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Got the following accessories

6. Black Magic Flyscreen.
Congrats on the bike, lovely colour too.

And an excellent choice of flyscreen. I've only seen pics of those god awful giant ones with that metal silver thingy going across it. This one looks so classy. Wish the side clamps were a bit low profile though, like the dart screen which gives it that "floating" effect

Could u share some pics of the screen? Thanks!
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 11:44   #2938
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Got a flip key conversion done.

Attachment 2180500
Congrats man. How and where did you get this flip key thing done? And how much did it cost you?
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 14:56   #2939
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the bike, lovely colour too.

And an excellent choice of flyscreen. I've only seen pics of those god awful giant ones with that metal silver thingy going across it. This one looks so classy. Wish the side clamps were a bit low profile though, like the dart screen which gives it that "floating" effect

Could u share some pics of the screen? Thanks!
Thanks mate, yes the big one looks a little too bulky. But then again this does look pleasing, and also missing branding is a big plus. Practically though I have my doubts about wind protection on highway speeds, the big ones though look bad, guess help quite a bit on highway runs. I am planning to get the PUIG one too, and use it when I am planning to do 300+ kms a day, they will keep the fatigue down.

I only have this one more picture as I have to still take it out and click photos.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210716_174501__01.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Congrats man. How and where did you get this flip key thing done? And how much did it cost you?
Thanks, got it done next to my house, it costed 550 rupees, below a picture when closed, looks very classy IMO.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210717_183724.jpg
AtheK is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2021, 15:51   #2940
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks, got it done next to my house, it costed 550 rupees, below a picture when closed, looks very classy IMO.

Attachment 2180669
Could you share details of the shop please? I need to get a bunch of keys done in this format, and if he's done a good job for you, then it spares me the headache of finding someone else!
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks