Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2021, 15:02   #2956
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
I'll be buying a new one, does anyone know if booking via the RE app still tends to get you the bike quicker compared to a showroom booking?
I placed the order for my GT on the app and it was delivered in 7 days in Bangalore (this was three months ago). If you're planning to order on the app make sure you add the touring seat as an accessory. People who have skipped this step have had to wait for months. Good luck on your purchase!
silentstorm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 21:08   #2957
Distinguished - BHPian

Decided to take the missus for a ride yesterday, ten minutes into the ride and bike stalled. Took around 6-7 self before coming back to life. Saw a wicked smile on my wife face, thought for a couple of minutes and decided to go on for a ride. We stopped at a place and the bike behaved the same way while starting again, taking around 6-7 self before starting.

We stopped for a tea, I was worried will it not start at all this time, but it acted the same way. Point to note, that once it started, it gave no issues and ran absolutely smoothly, no jerks nothing. I did not do any troubleshooting as wife was around and it was evening, also the plan was to complete 500 kms and take it for service tomorrow. While coming back it stalled again, but started in first self.

Today morning I went and started the bike started in one shot, I tried 20 times, started without any issue every single time. Reminded me immediately why I had issues with Royal Enfield earlier, and got a mouthful from wife too. Hopefully was one off case, will get it checked tomorrow. Anyone else faced something like this before?

On the upside got to see a beautiful sunset.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210731_211740_757.jpg

One with both of them together.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210725_110835_931.jpg

Hopefully this is a minor one time issue.
AtheK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 22:19   #2958
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Hopefully this is a minor one time issue.
No such thing as a one-time issue my friend.

My best guess with the little information provided is that you're facing an air-lock.

Next time motorcycle fails to start just open and close the tank and try again.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2021, 22:23   #2959
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
My best guess with the little information provided is that you're facing an air-lock
And this could be because of? A faulty fuel-tank-cap valve/vapour release mechanism?
Old 2nd August 2021, 00:55   #2960
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
No such thing as a one-time issue my friend.

My best guess with the little information provided is that you're facing an air-lock.

Next time motorcycle fails to start just open and close the tank and try again.

Cheers,
A.P.

Specially with royal Enfield, definitely can be sure of that.

The thought about opening and closing the tank did cross my mind once, not sure why I did not try it. Probably because I had refuelled a couple of days back, I will give this a try next time I find myself facing this issue. I did open the fuel tank once after reaching home and maybe that is why issue got fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
And this could be because of? A faulty fuel-tank-cap valve/vapour release mechanism?
Interesting thought indeed, let me see what people at royal Enfield service center have to say about it tomorrow.
Old 2nd August 2021, 05:20   #2961
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone else faced something like this before?
I have not. You might want to check for a loose battery terminal, grounding.

There are several issues being discussed here about the Interceptor such as the occasional starting issue, poor grip from the tires, tramlining, water making its way into the fuel tank, could use a stiffer seat, etc. I for one am finding this bike hard to fault or find fault. Granted I've owned the bike for ~9 months so not long enough. That said, starting has never been an issue, I find the stock seat could use a little more cushioning actually (not go firmer for sure), tramlining only under certain road conditions, especially on chip seal roads. Not otherwise. Tire grip on a smooth dry road is fine for cornering and braking. I've not pushed it in the wet so won't comment. I am generally nervous to try anything in the wet. I hate to fall. Not only does it put me out of action, my bike may never ride the same again, depending on how I fall. Besides; I've been lazy to get the large engine guard I ordered installed. More a reason to not push my luck on even a slightly wet road cause I can't tell what else that water has mixed with it.

Fitted a couple of bits and bobs on the bike last weekend. The local dealer was not sure how long it would take to get these parts. With help from my father, I sourced these from India though it took a good 8 weeks to get here. International post is a hit or miss. The post office had not idea where the consignment was and tracking has hopeless. Compare that to Fed Ex, I ordered Trip Machine's military bag and it reached New Zealand in <7 days!

What you see in pictures are the bar end finisher and the oil filler cap. They are purely cosmetic upgrades.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210730_163745.jpg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210730_164518.jpg

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 2nd August 2021 at 05:31.
sandeepmohan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:36   #2962
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I have not
Glad it is all working fine for you, and hopefully it stays the same.

My bike had a sound coming from rear the day one I took the delivery and the first ever test ride RE staff asked me to do. They had to replace brake pads on day one with ODO being at 5 kms, the fastest brake pad change in my life. I laughed it off, perks of owning a RE is what I thought. The funniest part was a big sticker on the bike which said QC Ok.

If missus was not along on this ride, I would have actually laughed this off too and spent some time figuring it out, but on a highway with her being along and the bike acting up, I was hard pressed to find the funny side of it
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:56   #2963
BHPian

Quote:
Decided to take the missus for a ride yesterday, ten minutes into the ride and bike stalled.
Nothing big.. that's the bike's way of saying this wedding has only 2 counterparties - dump the missus and ride with RE only

Jokes aside, I think forum members are correct about this being a vapor lock. Check the seals on the gas tank cap.
no_fear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 09:35   #2964
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
Nothing big.. that's the bike's way of saying this wedding has only 2 counterparties - dump the missus and ride with RE only

Jokes aside, I think forum members are correct about this being a vapor lock. Check the seals on the gas tank cap.
That was very subtle, I expected the post to have a little more sarcasm and bashing

Took it to the Service center, but the only engineer who can work on Interceptor has had monday morning blues, and I am back home. How difficult is it to change engine oil, and clean air filter for the other who are available. I would have ideally done this myself, but with the tantrum bike threw up, I rather have that warranty around for few months. The app won't let me cancel and choose another service center now, so need to wait for dear engineer to arrive, and take it back.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 10:28   #2965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
but the only engineer who can work on Interceptor has had monday morning blues
A sole mechanic for the Interceptor, and possibly the Continental GT as well! This is ridiculous to say the least. The whole point of "wide service network" goes for a toss here

Hope the issue gets resolved soon.
cool_dube is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 11:24   #2966
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A sole mechanic for the Interceptor, and possibly the Continental GT as well! This is ridiculous to say the least. The whole point of "wide service network" goes for a toss here

Hope the issue gets resolved soon.
Came to a different service center which is further from home but much bigger, they have taken in the bike and looking at it now. This is too crowded though, so might get it back only by tomorrow.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 16:36   #2967
Distinguished - BHPian

So came back from service center, and nothing was diagnosed. The bike refused to act the same way and kept starting in a single crank. They gave me some gyaan on how it's new and things are settling down, which I refused to buy. Then again since we could not reproduce the issue, I decided to test it for sometime again, and went for a 60KM long ride, everything looked fine. I stopped the bike lot of times and restarted it again, no issues.

Total bill was around 2800 odd for the servicing.

I spoke to a friend who also has recently picked the Red Rocker GT650, surprise surprise, he has had exactly same issue couple of times. We got on a call, and he told me he took it to the company workshop service center. The solution given is the same, open lid, close and go on, few bikes have reported this already (BS6 bikes). They also told him something about the fact that since bikes were parked for long, vacuum builds and valves open at high temperature, which we both laughed off for now.

What was common though was that both his and mine bike were low on fuel before refueling and this issue happened after that. Will need to check this, I will run the bike to low fuel again and then fuel and see if it stalls. Guess I have some R&D work lined up for next few weeks, will keep the thread updated. Anyone with BS6 bike can try the same.

Could this be an issue related to the fuel cap design?
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 20:44   #2968
BHPian

Quote:
Took around 6-7 self before coming back to life ... stopped at a place and the bike behaved the same way while starting again, taking around 6-7 self ... it acted the same way. Point to note, that once it started, it gave no issues and ran absolutely smoothly, no jerks nothing ... it stalled again, but started in first self.

Anyone else faced something like this before?
Not exactly but two related incidents

The first incident was the interceptor BS4 starting and driving away from standing normally but every time the throttle was rolled off for the up change the engine cut. I returned home after a few hundred meters and called the service centre. They were great, came quickly to my place and magically their presence fixed it. Those symptoms never recurred

The second incident was intermittent and protracted. When the hot engine was restarted it would start perfectly but sometimes misfire many times on pulling away from standing. Not enough to worry about being stranded. The symptoms never happened when passing the service centre! After a month or so the symptoms never recurred

I'm dubious about a vacuum developing in the fuel tank because the fuel cap seal is ineffective, at least as regards keeping fuel in (and the petrol tank breather pipe does not look blockage prone). Twice I have dropped the Interceptor and righted it in well under a minute. Both times petrol came out of the fuel cap. Enough to catch fire so not safe. Maybe the fuel cap seal is great at stopping air getting into the tank and the breather pipe is blockage prone. No, I don't believe it either
catkins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 21:09   #2969
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Not exactly but two related incidents

Maybe the fuel cap seal is great at stopping air getting into the tank and the breather pipe is blockage prone. No, I don't believe it either
Interesting, in our further discussion, we have realized both bikes have been manufactured in the same month, could this then be related to some issue with a certain batch, and hence not widely being reported. I will need to continue being "Sherlock Holmes" on this one for sometime, will take it for a long ride this weekend, let's see the results then.
Old 3rd August 2021, 03:40   #2970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could this be an issue related to the fuel cap design?
I doubt it. I don't think the cap design has changed at all.

Since you mention that the bike runs frequently under low fuel, how low are we talking about? The bike can run a good 75 to 80km under reserve fuel. Pushing it beyond this is not advised.

I am also aware that with all the frequent lock downs, if its just a matter of stale fuel in the tank.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks