Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2021, 07:48   #2971
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I doubt it. I don't think the cap design has changed at all.

Since you mention that the bike runs frequently under low fuel, how low are we talking about? The bike can run a good 75 to 80km under reserve fuel. Pushing it beyond this is not advised.

I am also aware that with all the frequent lock downs, if its just a matter of stale fuel in the tank.
Not sure how you interpreted the bike running frequently under low fuel, it's just 3 week old bike and when issue occured it had 410 kms on odo. It was only refueled twice, and when I said low fuel, it was once out of the two times when the last bar started blinking. It was fuelled up immediately after that. Bike has been given only shell fuel till now.

Stale fuel hence is also out of question, until dealer had it on very limited fuel in his stock yard for few months.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 08:10   #2972
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
It was only refueled twice, and when I said low fuel, it was once out of the two times when the last bar started blinking.
Do not think it is a fuel issue. It seems the fuel line is getting choked causing the engine to conk out, or fuel vapor lock. One of those 2 can be the culprits. Run it with 1/4 fuel left in tank to see if you can replicate the issue. If it comes back, then its the gas tank cap at fault.

If not, the final solution is to sell it and buy another Ducati - the 959 needs another Italian sister.

Last edited by no_fear : 3rd August 2021 at 08:12.
no_fear is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 09:57   #2973
BANNED

Quote:
I spoke to a friend who also has recently picked the Red Rocker GT650, surprise surprise, he has had exactly same issue couple of times. Could this be an issue related to the fuel cap design?
Since both your friend and you are facing the similar issue, why not open the fuel tap cap and check the rubber seal around it?

I remember the rubber around the cap was degrading and causing various issues which were solved after tank cap change under warranty. Many owners on xBHP too have reported the same.

Link 1

Link 2

Link 3

Why not cross check with another fuel tank lid rubber condition to see if these is any deformation in your bikes lid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
I'm dubious about a vacuum developing in the fuel tank because the fuel cap seal is ineffective, at least as regards keeping fuel in (and the petrol tank breather pipe does not look blockage prone)
Quote:
I doubt it. I don't think the cap design has changed at all
Quote:
Originally Posted by no_fear View Post
If it comes back, then its the gas tank cap at fault

Last edited by a4anurag : 3rd August 2021 at 09:59.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:02   #2974
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure how you interpreted the bike running frequently under low fuel, it's just 3 week old bike and when issue occured it had 410 kms on odo.
Sorry for that.

Thats what I understood after reading the third paragraph on post #2967
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:09   #2975
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do not think it is a fuel issue. It seems the fuel line is getting choked causing the engine to conk out, or fuel vapor lock. One of those 2 can be the culprits. Run it with 1/4 fuel left in tank to see if you can replicate the issue. If it comes back, then its the gas tank cap at fault.

If not, the final solution is to sell it and buy another Ducati - the 959 needs another Italian sister.
Ya will try this too, hopefully it was just a minor issue. Only good thing is that RE are pretty good with warranty claims, so if it happens again we will get to bottom of this. If I get another sister for Ducati, I will be homeless both financially and literally kicked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Since both your friend and you are facing the similar issue, why not open the fuel tap cap and check the rubber seal around it?

I remember the rubber around the cap was degrading and causing various issues which were solved after tank cap change under warranty. Many owners on xBHP too have reported the same.

Why not cross check with another fuel tank lid rubber condition to see if these is any deformation in your bikes lid?
You are right, but hopefully issue does not happen again, but if it does will definitely troubleshoot much more. Hopefully all I am doing is overthinking right now.

Quote:
Sorry for that.

Thats what I understood after reading the third paragraph on post #2967
No worries at all

Last edited by AtheK : 3rd August 2021 at 10:10.
Old 3rd August 2021, 10:35   #2976
Senior - BHPian

Considering you've thumbed the starter a fair bit, will be good to check the battery voltage, if you have a multi meter. The manual suggests a threshold level of 10 volts.

Other than this, we need to check if there is a spark, loose spark plug caps. The former will need a spare plug on hand to check when the problem occurs.

The only other thing is water in the fuel but that can happen only if the bike is parked in a open space. That said, I have parked the bike like this and water has not made its way into the fuel tank.

Anyway, leave it with the dealer to sort out, as the bike is new. A diagnostic tool is the only way to get to the bottom of this.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 11:49   #2977
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
And this could be because of? A faulty fuel-tank-cap valve/vapour release mechanism?
Yes.

Though in all honesty it is not something I'd break my head over, my P220 faces it when parked out in the sun for too long, in such situations I simply open the lid and close before riding.

You could have a go at cleaning the release valve which is easily accessible on some motorcycles, not sure about the Interceptor.

Just a FYI for others, if it were anything else then it would've thrown a CEL as it would register as a misfire, heck! Once when I'd bump started my Bullet down a slop it triggered a CEL that only went away after resetting with an OBD tool.

So do rest assured that the chance of the ignition being at fault is highly unlikely.

Cheers,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 13:59   #2978
BHPian

Hi Guys,

So something really weird happened today with my INT. I had gone for my second dose to a hospital nearby. They recently started charging for parking in the basement. So to save 20 bucks I parked near the front gate of the hospital (I have parked here before without issue).
After I came back post the jab, I found the bike had been moved from the spot I parked at and the brake lever was in this state:
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20210803_100656.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20210803_100701.jpg

The brake lever is bent out, but there are no evidences of the bike tipping over. There is absolutely no scratches on the bar end weights, or the engine guard. The footpegs and silencer cans are also as they were, without scratches.

I promptly took the bike to a nearby RE workshop (literally 100m away) and got the brake lever replaced because the bend was a bit too much and would be a problem in case I need to grab the brakes in an emergency (and the brake lever would be slightly out of reach). The guy there also looked at the entire bike and found no evidence of a drop. His hypothesis is that when someone moved the bike, they used the brake lever to pull the bike. Please note that the handle was locked.

Coming to my questions:
1) Are the brake levers weak enough to be bent like this by someone pulling the bike with it?
2) Will there be any issues with the brake system or anything else because of this? The brakes worked fine, with or without replacement. The replacement was just for peace of mind in times of emergency braking. Cost me Rs. 325.

The hospital has offered to go through the CCTV footage and get back to me.

For the want of saving 20 bucks, 325 were lost

Last edited by GrandTourer : 3rd August 2021 at 14:00.
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:05   #2979
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
His hypothesis is that when someone moved the bike, they used the brake lever to pull the bike. Please note that the handle was locked.
His hypothesis is bang on. Its very common for brake levers to get bent like this when people move the bikes just holding the lever and facing the bike headlight. You need to check the brake lever wiring and ask the RE service guy to make sure there is no other damage.
no_fear is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:07   #2980
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
1) Are the brake levers weak enough to be bent like this by someone pulling the bike with it?
Yes. It's made of Aluminium.

Quote:
2) Will there be any issues with the brake system or anything else because of this? The brakes worked fine, with or without replacement. The replacement was just for peace of mind in times of emergency braking. Cost me Rs. 325.
No issues.

Worst case it would mess up your brake switch, if that's working fine and is not visually mangled I'd not give it a second thought.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 14:19   #2981
BHPian

Thanks guys!

Quote:
His hypothesis is bang on **clip clip** ask the RE service guy to make sure there is no other damage.
Yes, made sure the cable and wiring are okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
**clip clip**

Worst case it would mess up your brake switch, if that's working fine and is not visually mangled I'd not give it a second thought.

Regards,
A.P.
Brake switch & light works fine... that was the first thing I checked. Braking is also fine.
GrandTourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 17:27   #2982
Distinguished - BHPian

Jackpot, was finally able to replicate issue and make a video of the same. This is a cold start after I parked it yesterday.

The solution provided by @ashwinprakas sir worked like a charm, though I need a fix for this and not a work around. Sent the video to SA in Royal Enfield, Let's see.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2021, 23:59   #2983
BHPian

I own a 2019 model BS4 Silver Spectre Interceptor 650. The twin rumble is the thing that makes me smile for it. And at 120kmph, if I open the throttle it still goes with a phenomenal urge to munch miles, there it makes me happy. The upswept pipes gives it a share holder in the sports category. Now, it has an Art of Motorcycles handlebar, that made it comfortable for touring and a Royal Enfield GT Touring double seat made it better than the softer seat original seat.

Altogether, I am very happy when it is on a hilltop climbing easily ��
yogeshnaik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2021, 04:57   #2984
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The solution provided by @ashwinprakas sir worked like a charm
I assume that is opening the fuel cap?

Can you please share a picture of the fuel cap and neck on your motorcycle?

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 4th August 2021 at 05:14.
Old 4th August 2021, 14:22   #2985
BHPian

More adventures in buying used bikes

After my first brush with the world of 2nd hand dealers, I was fairly certain that it was time to just buy a new GT 650 and get this over with. That's when I started contacting RE dealerships, and found out that a new bike will take at least 3 months to arrive here, may be more.

Surprisingly, for me at least, the sales staff use waiting periods of "4 to 6 months" as some sort of a positive, as if begging on my knees for a thing I've paid for should make me really happy. To me it sounds like either incompetent production by Royal Enfield, or more annoying, artificial scarcity.

And so I got back on Olx and started looking for more used 650s in Punjab. There was a short period where I gave up again, and nearly bought a 390 Adventure, but let's pretend that didn't happen. I'm currently at price negotiations with 2 GT 650 owners, would greatly appreciate opinions/inputs from you people.

One point to note, both bikes claim to be 1st owner, but that's not the case. For some reason it's common for people here to just keep riding with the previous owner's RC, nobody seems to care. One guy actually got angry at me for asking about transfer papers, "why are you wasting your time, just buy the bike!" Both options below are on their 2nd owner, I mean it could certainly be more than that, but the guy selling is not the guy whose name is on the RC.

On short test rides within the city, both bikes felt mechanically fine.

Option 1: Dr. Mayhem

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-black-1.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-black-2.jpg

Manufactured: March 2019

Kilometers done: ~6000

Modifications:

1. Aftermarket headlight (stock available)
2. AEW exhuasts (stock NOT available)
3. The bike comes with extra Interceptor handlebars, some generic aux lamps etc. that the owner had on the bike previously but not at this moment

Problems:

1. Bike only has had one service yet, the 500 km one. It's already well beyond the 1 year/5000 km rule for 2nd service. Unsure if this could cause warranty issues. Immediate first service is necessary.

2. Bike was on loan which completes this very month. I do not know how to confirm if the loan is paid off or not.

3. The guy has put on Interceptor handlebars, and aux lights in the past, not sure if all that work could've created some issues with the switchgear etc., or some electrical problems.

He started at 2.80, I started at 2.45, we might meet at 2.50 but I doubt I'll pay anything more than that.

Option 2: Ice Queen

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-white-1.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-white-2.jpg

Manufactured: November 2018

Kilometers done: ~12000

Modifications:

No major modifications, only the headlight seems to have an LED bulb in there, rest looks bone stock.

Problems:

1. The front and rear tires are new from Apollo, but both are incorrect sizes, and possibly incorrect speed/load rating. Front is 2 sizes smaller than stock (80/100), load rating of 175 kgs, and speed rating 150 kph. Rear is 1 size smaller (120/80), load rating of 265 kgs, and 150 kph speed rating. Will need to be replaced immediately.

2. The LED bulb in the headlight heats it up more than the exhausts somehow, you can't touch the front glass at all. This excessive heat seems to have damaged the reflector a little bit as well.

3. Person whose name is on the RC is in Canada, seller has already got signed affidavit from him however. If some unforeseen problems come up in RC transfer, could get tricky.

He started at 2.50, I started at 2.25, might meet at 2.35.

Let me know your thoughts! I would like to spend this Sunday watching MotoGP with a GT under my arm, possibly without tears at a bad decision.
RiderZone is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed