Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Old 9th September 2021, 12:44   #3076
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Finally installed the meteor windshield and had my first fall the very same day, I am looking for a solution to hide these scratches. How about I do this with a slight grey film. Yet to test the effectiveness at high speeds now before giving any further review. I have attached the installed windshields pictures.
Have been contemplating this since i saw meteor at launch. Was it a direct fit, or any alteration was done to the bike.
Old 9th September 2021, 12:47   #3077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshKanna View Post
Has anyone here used AOM pillion footrest extender ? Please share your two bits if so. Reckon it's the same as hepco and Becker one for which there are good reviews. However I am not able to find review for the AOM manufactured model . Apologies if it's out of thread, about the Mobile holder, which one is better between bobo claw grip and jaw grip?
MK design also has a footrest extender, I have it installed, looks a little thin, but has a good fitting and seems will be able to take general load.You can take a look at that.
Old 9th September 2021, 13:53   #3078
BHPian

I have a seperate thread on my GT but I thought it would be better to share updates of my 'Black Widow' here.

1) Many GT and Interceptor owners can agree that the front suspension is average at best, me being on the heavier side meant that the front suspension could not handle me at all and used to sag almost all the way robbing me of suspension travel. I bought some preload adjusters which helped but I was still not satisfied so I looked at options and there were two at the time, YSS and Ohlins. Both were pretty expensive and I did not have that kind of money to spend, at the same time Speedmonks Gurgaon launched YSS emulators(11k rupees) so went ahead and fixed them thinking I could buy springs later locally, this upgrade made a lot of difference in terms of how the bike handled in corners but really didn't stop the front from diving too much while braking due to the soft springs.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screenshot_2021090911504689_1c337646f29875672b5a61192b9010f9.jpg.

Fast forward August 2021 I decided to upgrade the springs but the guy who manufacturer's these springs said he wouldn't take an order less than 100 pieces which really put a stop on my next step of suspension upgrade.

2) I always felt the stock clip ons were weird and did not offer the adjustability I wanted, so went ahead and bought the Roadpower Custom clip ons and honestly I am loving it! All I can say is these are an Interceptor owner's worst nightmare .
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210909_114227.jpg

3)Tyre options were really limited in the odd sizes that the bike has, so I bought some 17 inch local Mild Steel rims(4.00-17 and 2.75-17) and fitted the Apollo Alpha H1s in 150/60 and 110/70. These Mild steel rims were cheap but they had started to rust and bend at places after just six months of riding, so bought the alluminium rims from Dismotech in the same size. There was not really much difference in weight(200gms-front and 500gms-rear lighter). @man_of_steel senpai has already given his opinion on this and I concur with his views.

4) This upgrade wasn't really on my mind but Akash(Ex Powerdrift member;people who used to watch Powerdrift 4-5 years back would know him) who owns a garage by the name of Unleaded Care asked me if I would like Stainless Steel headers on my GT, at the time I did not think much but when he said that he can do pie cuts, I was sold

The end result is a bratty exhaust note and a lighter bike, that you can really feel it when you take it off the side stand. My estimation is my GT weighs around 180-185kgs now.

During the headers change I decided it was time to change the pathetic RE oil and went ahead with the Castrol 10W40, s*** Bosch plugs were changed to NGK CR9EIX. Both these changes totally transformed the GT to a smooth cruiser and the bike stays cool even in the heaviest of traffic!

Some more pics for your viewing pleasure!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210909_114005.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210909_113907.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210909_113829.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210909_134201.jpg
CarManMotorcycl is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 09:12   #3079

Default Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

Hi All,

I just did a trip on the Interceptor from Bangalore to Chirala, with a stay at Tirupati. On the way to Tirupati, it was raining heavily 90% of the time. Anyways, reached Tirupati in 3 hours (was very happy with the time, he he, and was just about to reach the hotel ~4 kms, when I got a flat tyre ). It happened at around 9 PM, there was a puncture wala around 1 km away. It took the guy almost 2 hours to get the tube replaced & reset the tyre (the tube got completely damaged).

Ever since, I have been seriously thinking of any option to get alloys on the inti. Ever since I got the Interceptor, this has been my main worry. What if I get a flat tyre? RSA n all is fine, but again that would take away 1-2 hours minimum.

I know this has been discussed very often, but is there any reliable option at all?

By the way, I also got the Formula X gel in the tyres, but even that didn't seem to work :(

MOD NOTE - Request you to write the manufacturer's model / make name in full. You are ONLY permitted to use the full Make & Model name. This will make our content useful, searchable & easy-to-understand for experts & newbies alike.

Thanks for the support & understanding.

Last edited by Sheel : 10th September 2021 at 11:06. Reason: Mod note attached.
Marias is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 09:45   #3080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Congratulations and wishes for wonderful biking experience. Hope your cold and cough isn't to worry too much about what it shouldn't be.
One general question to understand purchase of a pre-owned bike. So will you need to connect with RE also to change the ownership details with them to honor stuff like warranty, etc ? Asking this because its almost a new bike and assume if RE is gonna do a recall for 650 twins, I know they might use the chassis number but they would also look at the owner details, correct ?
Is the warranty carried over to the second owner on sale of the vehicle ? Can we officially get the warranty transferred to the second owner's name ? I always thought that the warranty is for the first owner only.
Old 10th September 2021, 10:20   #3081
BHPian

Yes, AFAIK, RE allows transfer of warranty. The dealership has necessary details/process for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
Is the warranty carried over to the second owner on sale of the vehicle ? Can we officially get the warranty transferred to the second owner's name ? I always thought that the warranty is for the first owner only.
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 12:01   #3082
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarManMotorcycl View Post
1) Many GT and Interceptor owners can agree that the front suspension is average at best, me being on the heavier side meant that the front suspension could not handle me at all and used to sag almost all the way robbing me of suspension travel. I bought some preload adjusters which helped but I was still not satisfied so I looked at options and there were two at the time, YSS and Ohlins. Both were pretty expensive and I did not have that kind of money to spend, at the same time Speedmonks Gurgaon launched YSS emulators(11k rupees) so went ahead and fixed them thinking I could buy springs later locally, this upgrade made a lot of difference in terms of how the bike handled in corners but really didn't stop the front from diving too much while braking due to the soft springs.
CarManMotorcycl, I am not sure if you posted about this earlier, but did you change the fork oil at the front? If not, I would suggest that as a next step. Since you mentioned that you are a heavier rider, 7.5W fork oil should be a good place to start. With that, your preload adjusters and the emulators, you should be able to get to the perfect front end. Hope you set the sag on your bike by measuring it properly as well.

Quote:
2) I always felt the stock clip ons were weird and did not offer the adjustability I wanted, so went ahead and bought the Roadpower Custom clip ons and honestly I am loving it! All I can say is these are an Interceptor owner's worst nightmare .
Can you shed some more light on this? How has the position changed? Is it more aggressive? Wider?

I didnt really follow the Interceptor owners nightmare part as well.

Quote:
4) This upgrade wasn't really on my mind but Akash(Ex Powerdrift member;people who used to watch Powerdrift 4-5 years back would know him) who owns a garage by the name of Unleaded Care asked me if I would like Stainless Steel headers on my GT, at the time I did not think much but when he said that he can do pie cuts, I was sold
That looks really nice! Any ballpark pricing that you can tell us?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 15:39   #3083
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
CarManMotorcycl, I am not sure if you posted about this earlier, but did you change the fork oil at the front?
I actually did change fork oil to 15W Maxima, rebound was taken care of which was one of the negatives of the suspension, forgot to mention it, compression is still a problem though.

Quote:
Can you shed some more light on this? How has the position changed? Is it more aggressive? Wider?

I didnt really follow the Interceptor owners nightmare part as well.
You lean a lot more forward and your hands go a bit inwards, which is the opposite of what Interceptor owners want, that is why an Interceptor owner's worst nightmare.

Quote:
That looks really nice! Any ballpark pricing that you can tell us?
PMed you about the cost, cannot really disclose this in Public.
Old 10th September 2021, 17:20   #3084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2204757
Pardon the noob question. Is this the final finish? The welded joints on the header pipe. Is it not possible to do a bend as needed instead of cutting and welding? Or is it a work of art?
dinu2506 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 18:30   #3085
BHPian

Quote:
I decided it was time to change the pathetic RE oil and went ahead with the Castrol 10W40, s*** Bosch plugs were changed to NGK CR9EIX.
I don't understand. Were you facing any issues with stock oil and plugs?
Also, wouldn't the lower weight cause premature wear and over heating ? Is there any difference in mileage and perfomance?
Old 10th September 2021, 19:24   #3086
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Pardon the noob question. Is this the final finish? The welded joints on the header pipe. Is it not possible to do a bend as needed instead of cutting and welding? Or is it a work of art?
Yes, this is the final finish. This is known as a pie cut exhaust. After a while the colour around the welds will turn to a rainbow colour giving it an attractive look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
I don't understand. Were you facing any issues with stock oil and plugs?
Also, wouldn't the lower weight cause premature wear and over heating ? Is there any difference in mileage and perfomance?
I faced a lot of heating issues and found the engine rough of my GT with the RE oil compared to an Interceptor I rode with the Castrol oil, the Bosch plugs were not faulty as such but the CR9EIX made a lot of difference in terms of how engine heat is managed, the bike remains cool throughout, plus you can really feel the difference between the Bosch and NGK plugs.

Lower weight will always be a bonus be it a car or a motorcycle!
CarManMotorcycl is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2021, 19:38   #3087
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this is the final finish. This is known as a pie cut exhaust. After a while the colour around the welds will turn to a rainbow colour giving it an attractive look!
Interesting. Thanks for that info. Never knew of such a thing. Do post when the pipe matures. Meanwhile, let me google on the "pie-cut".
Nice bike. Ride safe
dinu2506 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2021, 23:11   #3088
Senior - BHPian

I like most of the other mods but TBH, the pie cut does not do it for me at all.

I thought it is because it is still 'raw' and looked up pie cut on Google - Nope! Still dont like it.

Reminds me of a centipede more than anything else.

Sorry @CarManMotorcycl; just my opinion. You do you!

See what I mean:

Name:  pie cut.png
Views: 116
Size:  162.7 KB
sridhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 07:48   #3089
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
at the same time Speedmonks Gurgaon launched YSS emulators(11k rupees) so went ahead and fixed them thinking I could buy springs later locally, this upgrade made a lot of difference in terms of how the bike handled in corners but really didn't stop the front from diving too much while braking due to the soft springs.
I was contemplating the damping emulators for my Bonnie from TecBike parts. I already have pre-load adjustors in place that allows me pre-load adjustment and also changed to progressive springs. At the rear I have the Tecbike parts suspension that allows pre-load adjustment and rebound damping adjustment. This gives me pretty good control of the parameters. I was keen to go for the emulators in front so that I get some level of damping adjustment as well. Wanted to know few things
1) After installation does it allow adjustment of compression and rebound damping on the fly? I mean do you have to open the top cap/preload caps to make the adjustment?
2) Does it allow separate adjustment of compression and rebound damping?
Old 12th September 2021, 16:33   #3090
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
1) After installation does it allow adjustment of compression and rebound damping on the fly? I mean do you have to open the top cap/preload caps to make the adjustment?
2) Does it allow separate adjustment of compression and rebound damping?
1) Sadly no adjustments on the fly, only adjustment by removing the internals. If money is not an issue look up Andreani fork cartridges.
2) Yeah they do but as I said you would need to adjust it before fixing them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Sorry @CarManMotorcycl; just my opinion. You do you!
You don't have to apologise, everyone is free to have an opinion , one advantage this has over a normal bend pipe is you can do a lot more acute angle.
CarManMotorcycl is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed