Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2021, 22:00   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Seems like RE has no intention to provide alloys even as a paid option for the 650 twins. Been waiting for this forever now. News about alloys came multiple times in the past 2 years but nothing concrete so far. Looks like they will just launch alloy option with the 650 cruiser, whenever that happens. Such a bummer!
And the Cruiser rear tyre will definitely be 16 inch or 17 inch ones. So the Interceptor owners will still keep waiting for alloys, 3 years since launch

Few owners have updated the rear wheels alone to alloys - from the Meteor, and the front continues to be spoke wheels.
Old 29th September 2021, 00:38   #3107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinjosep View Post
Any suggestions on good bike covers for the Interceptor?

Our parking is notoriously prone to dust and hence would need an option that's large enough to cover the bike while the edges hug the ground. TIA
Do have a look at the Raida Season pro or Rain pro covers. They are fairly good quality ones.
Old 29th September 2021, 07:27   #3108
Senior - BHPian

Hello owners, got to know recently that Inty 650 had come up with this speedometer originally...
Name:  m.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  91.5 KB

...and somewhere along the line, it has got changed to...
Name:  k.jpg
Views: 1244
Size:  55.4 KB

How many of you have the MPH or rather love the MPH reading as well please?

Last edited by aargee : 29th September 2021 at 07:34.
Old 29th September 2021, 08:31   #3109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Hello owners, got to know recently that Inty 650 had come up with this speedometer originally...

...and somewhere along the line, it has got changed to...

How many of you have the MPH or rather love the MPH reading as well please?
IIRC, the speedometer with miles was part of the first batch of motorcycles that were used for worldwide media during the initial launch event that happened in California. I don't think that this speedo ever made it to production, at least I have never seen one in person. Maybe the export variants could have this speedometer with miles.
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 08:36   #3110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
I would probably have ordered a Street Twin, had it not been for the footrest to tank distance being too far for my knees to go on tank and the still duller than the Interceptor engine.
I am bit surprised by the last part of this sentence.

I have not ridden the new Street Twin. If the old T100's 900 block can be used as reference, it is on a different level compared to the Interceptor. I am not sure how they could possibly dull the performance. Granted that exhaust restrictions will cause that but still, its a bit hard to digest that the engine is dull in comparison to the RE 650. If it were not for the prohibitive cost, its the Triumph for me, eyes closed. I appreciate the Interceptor for what it is but it ain't no Triumph.

Higher "felt" engine heat is to be expected as the Triumph is liquid cooled.

Are you in a position to ride to Chennai or Villupuram for service? The latter is <1 hour for you. Not much you can do about pillion comfort. I don't think the Interceptor is roomy enough for a pillion, unless you are super fit/trim. On the unreliable fuel meter, you learn to live with it. I use the trip meter, run the bike up to 220 or 240km and tank up. Sometimes I wait till it starts blinking cause there is still over 2 liters of fuel left. Plenty enough to reach a gas station.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 29th September 2021 at 08:37.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th September 2021, 19:49   #3111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am not sure how they could possibly dull the performance. ... its a bit hard to digest that the engine is dull in comparison to the RE 650
Heavier rotating parts and flatter torque curve. Give that design decision, probably more relaxed electronic engine management system mappings
Quote:
Higher "felt" engine heat is to be expected as the Triumph is liquid cooled.
I do not understand why that should be
Quote:
Are you in a position to ride to Chennai or Villupuram for service? The latter is <1 hour for you
Thanks yes but the Villupuram SC is owned by the same company that owns the Pondy one. The next service will be done in Chennai, in Anna Nagar
Old 6th October 2021, 12:55   #3112
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Over time, after making multiple tweaks to the seat, handlebar, suspension, etc, rider foot peg position was something that kept bothering me. Compared to my other bikes, i found the foot pegs on interceptor to be placed higher, so more bend was required at the knee causing discomfort over time. I had a look at foot peg re-locators from the like of greasehouse, spoke to people who have used it and realized that i just wanted the foot pegs to go down vertically by a few cms, and not forward or rear.
Didn't do much on this requirement, untill couple of weeks back i came across the new TEC FULL RIDER FOOTPEG ASSEMBLY. Seems like quite nice product, ofcouse at a cost and issue of availability in India.

I was using a modified wider footpeg for ease of saddling, and made further modifications to it to lower the position. Basically welded a vertical metal section to the pivot bracket and foot rest plate. It was not as east as it sounds, as all these elements are at multiple angles and planes. With some trials, managed to get a position which seems ok. Not perfect symmetry, but close enough.

The result is mostly a win win situation. The footpeg position is lowered by approx 50mm. This is makes the lower body posture very relaxed. The ride posture triangle seems to have sorted, as i had increase the handlebar height by about 75mm. Saddling feels much better with this new foot peg position. There was not issue with gear and brake lever position. Adjusted them both to suit the new low and they feel natural enough. The footpegs have gone slightly wider. Haven't done any long rides, these are impressions from just some test rides around home. But am certain this will be a welcome change. sharing some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210930_160241.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211001_185756.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211006_092719.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211006_092745.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211006_092757.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211006_092833.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 17:46   #3113
Senior - BHPian

The inty can scrape its pegs without too much difficulty whilst cornering. Putting the pegs 2 inches lower has pretty much robbed it of any cornering clearance... no?

You could have achieved the same result by adding a couple or so inches of seat foam and corresponding bar risers to still have the handlebar come up to where you like it

To me, this mod creates more issues than it resolves. Hope at least the quality of (argon?) weld is good

Last edited by Urban_Nomad : 6th October 2021 at 17:48.
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 18:05   #3114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Over time, after making multiple tweaks to the seat, handlebar, suspension, etc, rider foot peg position was something that kept bothering me. Compared to my other bikes, i found the foot pegs on interceptor to be placed higher, so more bend was required at the knee causing discomfort over time. I had a look at foot peg re-locators from the like of greasehouse, spoke to people who have used it and realized that i just wanted the foot pegs to go down vertically by a few cms, and not forward or rear.
Didn't do much on this requirement, untill couple of weeks back i came across the new TEC FULL RIDER FOOTPEG ASSEMBLY. Seems like quite nice product, ofcouse at a cost and issue of availability in India.

I was using a modified wider footpeg for ease of saddling, and made further modifications to it to lower the position. Basically welded a vertical metal section to the pivot bracket and foot rest plate. It was not as east as it sounds, as all these elements are at multiple angles and planes. With some trials, managed to get a position which seems ok. Not perfect symmetry, but close enough.

The result is mostly a win win situation. The footpeg position is lowered by approx 50mm. This is makes the lower body posture very relaxed. The ride posture triangle seems to have sorted, as i had increase the handlebar height by about 75mm. Saddling feels much better with this new foot peg position. There was not issue with gear and brake lever position. Adjusted them both to suit the new low and they feel natural enough. The footpegs have gone slightly wider. Haven't done any long rides, these are impressions from just some test rides around home. But am certain this will be a welcome change. sharing some pics.
Interesting modification. Can you please tell whether the footpegs in this new setup still bother you while keeping your feet down in traffic or while coming to a halt, or they are relatively better than the stock footpeg placement?
Old 6th October 2021, 20:17   #3115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
The result is mostly a win win situation. .
Undue leverage is not your friend, my friend. Especially when it comes to Aluminium Parts, this is not in reference to the pegs but the subframe that your now leveraged peg is mounted to.

Anyhow I wish you all the best.

Regards,
A.P.
Old 7th October 2021, 12:17   #3116
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The inty can scrape its pegs without too much difficulty whilst cornering. Putting the pegs 2 inches lower has pretty much robbed it of any cornering clearance... no?
This point did cross my mind. I have so far never ever scraped pegs on any of my bikes, means i am not a corner craving rider, will blame it on lack of skills. Secondly, my interceptor is raised by about 35 mm towards the front. 15mm of spacer within the front fork and 20mm at the triple tree. This is raised the bikes GC as well as the foot peg position from ground, to begin with. Also, the foot-peg still retains its folding back character, which should warn in case of scrape. Visually it looks like i would have to lean the bike too steep to scrape, almost impossible for my riding, but given steep banking on hairpins, things can change. This is something i will need to experience and see how it fares, but for my riding, i dont really see it as an issue.
Quote:
You could have achieved the same result by adding a couple or so inches of seat foam and corresponding bar risers to still have the handlebar come up to where you like it
No, i have modified the seat a bit wider and anyways it feels too tall with the way legs fall around the bike. That would also again alter the handlebar position, and would negate the gain via 2"riser, and AOM bars. Also, one of the main reason for lowering the peg was ease of saddling, and it makes soooo much of positive difference now. Just rode the bike to office and tried some saddling at one stretch.

Quote:
To me, this mod creates more issues than it resolves. Hope at least the quality of (argon?) weld is good
As per the welder, the metal may break but weld will not. Hoping none of them break.

Quote:
Interesting modification. Can you please tell whether the foot-pegs in this new setup still bother you while keeping your feet down in traffic or while coming to a halt, or they are relatively better than the stock foot-peg placement?
Yes, that problem is still the same.
Quote:
Undue leverage is not your friend, my friend. Especially when it comes to Aluminum Parts, this is not in reference to the pegs but the sub-frame that your now leveraged peg is mounted to.
Yep, that casted sub frame is something i am worried about, as we have previously seen and discussed a broken one (reason unknown).
Meanwhile, i have had the non-lowered Himalayan pegs on the bike for almost a year and have tried some saddling as well, and its held fine so far. Hoping it keeps holding, but whenever saddling, there is an uneasy awareness of the same playing in mind. sharing some pics of TEC kit, counting they would have done some testing as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-readjpegs.png  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-readjpegs2.png  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-readjpegs4.png  

Last edited by nasirkaka : 7th October 2021 at 12:25.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th October 2021, 19:01   #3117
BHPian

Are custom throttle cables available?

At the third service the throttle cables were replaced. The originals had become stiff. Their surface was crinkled similar to how they would look after being very hot. I did not get originals back so no opportunity for forensics

Whatever, the new cables seem to be slightly shorter than the originals. The originals were just long enough to work with the higher (Honda Unicorn) handlebars fitted as a simpler and lighter solution than risers. The new cables are tight in the leftmost steering position
Old 9th October 2021, 20:40   #3118
BHPian

I am having my doubts regarding the competency of certain RE service centres and the quality of training provided to them by RE.

Today I visited Sivaji Motors service centre at Kaimanam for the 24 months service of my Interceptor 650. After opening the job card I stayed at their service lounge from where their service bay was visible. I had complained about the leaky fork seals and tight throttle cable. The mechanic checked the fork seals and reported to the SA which was relayed to me that ther is no oil leak but dust and muck accumilated along with moisture which I believed.

After that the mechanic changed the oil. The new oil was collected from an iron barrel on a jug placed outside the building on a shed, a roof which was closed only from two ends. It was raining heavily for a few days and all the buffing and polishing was done near those barrels. Now I am no expert but isnt there a chance that the oil may have been contaminated with moisture? I dont know, the oil was of the wrong grade anyway, 15w50.

According to the service manual, at 24 months, fuel filter, air filter, spark plugs and brake fluid needed to be changed. Also, checking the valve clearances, changing oil and oil filter are mandatory irrespective of kilometers run at 24 months. Except for the oil and oil filter, none of the other elements were replaced, the valve clearance was also not checked.

Now, I gave it the benefit of the doubt and thought that since the bike had only run around 4000kms, the air filter, fuel filter, brake fluid and spark plugs need not necissitated a replacement but checking valve clearance was a must so I enquired my SA about it and he mumbled that 'since there was no sound from the engine' it is not needed. I wanted to tell him about the left cylinder running hot at times but at this point I thought he wouldnt understand.

After waiting for a painful 6 hours there for washing and polishing I left with my bike at around 2pm. I had reached there at 8 and the works on the bike began at 9: 30.
The SA also pointed out that my exhaust pipes have rust in it and needed replacement. He wanted to know whether the bike had extented warranty so that he can order the part for replacement while the bike came from the factory with 36 months warranty and I was there for the 24 month service.

While I am not nitpicking, the dude was always on the phone, maybe talking with some customer. And while I wandered around to kill time I saw another SA giving gyan to another customer about the magical drive chain RE had invented for their new Classic 350 which would only last for 25k unless it is cleaned and lubed by the magical 500₹ RE Chain cleaner and Lube. Oh, I was also not given the rest of the 500ml chain lube which I doubt was used completely on my bike. I forgot to ask about it anyway. At this point, I even doubt whether the oil filter was replaced. I didnt see the mechanic opening a box or something.
All this happened while I was watching the work being done at the workshop from their lounge. I was charged 88₹ for using it. I wonder what happens to the customers who leave their bike at the service center trusting them to do things properly only to pick up later. If the work was not done at the SC, then the warranty would be denied too. Talking about warranty, I was charged for replacing a clutch cable while the vike was under warranty. Maybe warranty doesnt apply for it?

I dont know if any RE customer can trust their service centres with their latest machines. I certainly wouldnt trust them anymore. I dont wanna take the bike to a fng either. If this is the service dished out at an RE svc, what would be the case with the fngs?
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211009_204306_12.jpg  

Last edited by corvus corax : 9th October 2021 at 20:44.
corvus corax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 20:55   #3119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus corax View Post
I am having my doubts regarding the competency of certain RE service centres and the quality of training provided to them by RE...I dont know if any RE customer can trust their service centres with their latest machines. I certainly wouldnt trust them anymore. I dont wanna take the bike to a fng either. If this is the service dished out at an RE svc, what would be the case with the fngs?
Boss, all these happens with every ASC in India, be it Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, TVS, basically the commuter segment. Unless you build a good rapport with the ASC & the folks working there, nothing, I mean, absolutely nothing work out there.

Even for the country's best ASC, MASS & Nexa have their own share of woes but invisible most of the times.

If you want a great service, opt with Triumph (Request Triumph owners to share their experience ), Kawasaki etc., where, they charge you 10 times more in exchange for a pleasing conversation.

Basically, if one is hot over, other is a fire place!!

Last edited by aargee : 9th October 2021 at 21:01.
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th October 2021, 21:01   #3120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
Are custom throttle cables available?
I'm only aware of this UK product that has longer cable clearly mentioned.

https://accessories.hitchcocksmotorc...Throttle/42368

Is it possible that the SVC people fit a GT cable to your Interceptor? As far as I'm aware the Inty throttle cable is slightly longer, the clutch cable certainly is.

Last edited by RiderZone : 9th October 2021 at 21:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks