Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2021, 19:49   #3136
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Having booked the bike in March, I've finally received delivery 2 days back. Attaching pics. Absolutely no wobble so am quite relieved! Few queries:

1. For run-in, ive ridden below 60kmph for first 1000 kms in my previous bike. Is it the same for Interceptor as well?

2. The front suspension is simply next to non existent. Even the reflectors on the road manage to bump up the entire bike. For this, am looking at replacing the front fork oil to a thicker grade. Any private place where i can get this done in Bangalore? Am not sure if RE guys would entertain it.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211016_134203.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211016_134216.jpg  

abhi7013 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 20:20   #3137
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your bike.

1. Recommended to ride below 60 for first 500 kms and first service, though you can go upto 80 and keep varying speeds.

2. Any FNG should be able to do it, check good one near your place, or let us know where you are based out of and we can give you a suggestion. If near BTM/Banerghatta area you can go to MotoSpark.

Have fun riding the bike, and do post your ownership review.
Old 18th October 2021, 21:09   #3138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi7013 View Post
Having booked the bike in March, I've finally received delivery 2 days back
Holy crap!! Why so much of delay?

Quote:
For run-in, ive ridden below 60kmph for first 1000 kms in my previous bike. Is it the same for Interceptor as well?
From your owner's manual...
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-p1.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-p2.jpg

Quote:
Am not sure if RE guys would entertain it
Nothing wrong in asking though
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 21:25   #3139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. The front suspension is simply next to non existent. Even the reflectors on the road manage to bump up the entire bike. For this, am looking at replacing the front fork oil to a thicker grade.
Won't a thicker grade make the front suspension even harder?
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:25   #3140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Congratulations on your bike.

1. Recommended to ride below 60 for first 500 kms and first service, though you can go upto 80 and keep varying speeds.

2. Any FNG should be able to do it, check good one near your place, or let us know where you are based out of and we can give you a suggestion. If near BTM/Banerghatta area you can go to MotoSpark.

Have fun riding the bike, and do post your ownership review.
I'm based in north Bangalore so any place near Hebbal, HRBR, or Yelahanka should be comfortable. Thank you for the advice, I've done 60kms as of now and just wanted to make sure i do things correct till the 1k mark!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Holy crap!! Why so much of delay?

From your owner's manual...

The delay was mostly due to issue from the dealer's finances as their payments to RE wasn't going through. Took them 3 to 4 months to tell me this post which i made a second booking at another branch in July. Got the bike almost exactly after 3 months of wait after this 2nd booking.

My bad, i didn't read the owner's manual at all, completely forgot it existed in all the excitement, going through it right now once am done posting this...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Won't a thicker grade make the front suspension even harder?
Thing is, front suspension bottoms out with a 'khat' sound on moderate potholes. Am used to a Karizma which had amazing suspensions. This is kind of a mystery to me where the front bottoms out on speed breakers and potholes and at the same time, allows the reflectors on the road to be felt quite clearly. Assuming its a rather soft suspension, am going for a thicker grade oil. A few posts in this thread are also a reference for that..
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 22:56   #3141
BHPian

Quote:
I'm based in north Bangalore so any place near Hebbal, HRBR, or Yelahanka should be comfortable.
Congratulations and welcome to the club . Your Inty looks wonderful in red. I stay in the same area and I got my GT from Acclaim motors Yelahanka. When I went for my first service there I was surprised to see them try to upsell the Red Rooster Performance mufflers. So changing the fork oil to a higher grade would not seem too outlandish. Just give your service center a try, if they refuse there are a few good places nearby in Kammanahalli/ Kalyan Nagar area.
Old 18th October 2021, 23:10   #3142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm based in north Bangalore so any place near Hebbal, HRBR, or Yelahanka should be comfortable.
You can check with X torque in Kalyan Nagar.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 07:56   #3143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thing is, front suspension bottoms out with a 'khat' sound on moderate potholes. Am used to a Karizma which had amazing suspensions. This is kind of a mystery to me where the front bottoms out on speed breakers and potholes and at the same time, allows the reflectors on the road to be felt quite clearly. Assuming its a rather soft suspension, am going for a thicker grade oil. A few posts in this thread are also a reference for that..
The Bonnie has the same problem of the khat sound. The stock oil is 10 weight and I did not want to make it thicker. My problem was solved in two steps, first I installed pre-load adjustable top caps and later (the biggest improvement) was when I switched to progressive springs. The khat is non-existent now. Have not played around with fork oil viscosity yet. Please keep us updated on that, I would be interested. What is the stock viscosity for the INT - 5W?
Old 19th October 2021, 12:36   #3144
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
The Bonnie has the same problem of the khat sound. The stock oil is 10 weight and I did not want to make it thicker. My problem was solved in two steps, first I installed pre-load adjustable top caps and later (the biggest improvement) was when I switched to progressive springs. The khat is non-existent now. Have not played around with fork oil viscosity yet. Please keep us updated on that, I would be interested. What is the stock viscosity for the INT - 5W?
Yep, that KHAT sound on the bonnie bothered me as well and was very annoying. Even on the interceptor, that sound was very prominent and super annoying, until i swapped the front suspension with way2speed kit.

http://www.way2speed.com/2020/08/roy...way2speed.html

The kit comprises of progressive springs, preload adjusters, longer spacer tube, 15mm damper rod extenders, a heavier grade oil. This was one of the best mods i have done on the interceptor. Very happy with how the front suspension behaves but in contrast, the rear suspension feels even more flawed now.With a sorted rear suspension, the bike would be really a treat to ride, even on bad roads. Way2speed have recently comeup with springs for rear suspension also, but i thought it was bit expensive for just the springs.
nasirkaka is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 13:55   #3145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Even on the interceptor, that sound was very prominent and super annoying, until i swapped the front suspension with way2speed kit.

Very happy with how the front suspension behaves but in contrast, the rear suspension feels even more flawed now.
Beginning of this year, I had an itch to get this way2speed job done to my front suspension. Of course few of my friends thought I was being nuts. Come 2nd wave of pandemic and all plans got canned. Recently I installed Mash Autos preload adjusters with help from Neil Jericho and Man of Steel who explained to me how this is done, the technical improvements to expect etc. I already feel the majority of my needs are fulfilled with just this small mod.

I had similar concerns like your current experience of the bike's rear not feeling as good as the front suspension and hence put the conversion plan to hold 'for now'.

Quote:
Absolutely no wobble so am quite relieved! Few queries:

2. The front suspension is simply next to non existent.
If you want to take my advice, start small. I have started with installing preload adjusters and playing around with various setting combinations. It makes me feel the bike and engine a lot better every time I go for a ride. Once I have put enough running into it, I will go for the next upgrade (I already have the thicker oil with me) but I am in no hurry. I suggest you do this small adjustment and enjoy some more before the next big change.

And about the wobble, oh boy you just have to wait for a few thousand KMs. I mean I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to you. But I feel wobble on this bike and Thanos are both quite similar in nature

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-maxresdefault.jpg
shabih is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 14:01   #3146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep, that KHAT sound on the bonnie bothered me as well and was very annoying. Even on the interceptor, that sound was very prominent and super annoying, until i swapped the front suspension with way2speed kit.

http://www.way2speed.com/2020/08/roy...way2speed.html

The kit comprises of progressive springs, preload adjusters, longer spacer tube, 15mm damper rod extenders, a heavier grade oil. This was one of the best mods i have done on the interceptor. Very happy with how the front suspension behaves but in contrast, the rear suspension feels even more flawed now. With a sorted rear suspension, the bike would be really a treat to ride, even on bad roads. Way2speed have recently comeup with springs for rear suspension also, but i thought it was bit expensive for just the springs.
On the Bonnie, I used third party preload adjusters and made my own spacer tubes using CPVC. Working perfect even after 4 years. The progressive springs I sourced from Tecbike Parts UK. As you said, one of the best investments. With this, the crudeness of the rear became more noticeable and I upgraded to the Tecbike Parts rear shocks. This had preload adjustment as well as 15 click rebound damping adjustment. Another great investment. The Bonnie now feels totally sorted and how it should have been right from the factory.
Old 19th October 2021, 16:14   #3147
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
On the Bonnie, I used third party preload adjusters and made my own spacer tubes using CPVC.
Oh yes, i do remember discussing your mods in length on some thread. Unfortunately, has to sell the bonnie after the fall, before i could attempt suspension mod. I had replaced the rear with paiolis from the GT650 and that had improved ride and bit on GC as well.

On the rear suspension, Dismotech (bangalore) have put up a showa rear suspension, fully adjustable, for interceptor and Gt 650, for 23k, on their insta page. This is a taller suspension, having 130mm travel, compared to stock 88mm. I was wondering how something like this would affect the geometry. Ideally, i would not want to add to the present seat height, but if it makes a lot of positive difference riding on broken roads, and comfort on body, i do not mind trying. The front end of my bike is already increased by about 35mm from stock. Compared to YSS and OHLINS at 70k+, the SHOWA price point of 23k does look attractive as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVMcsgst..._web_copy_link

Last edited by nasirkaka : 19th October 2021 at 16:19.
Old 19th October 2021, 19:05   #3148
BHPian

Quote:
Thing is, front suspension bottoms out with a 'khat' sound on moderate potholes
I understand "bottoms out" to mean that the springs are fully compressed so the suspension cannot be compressed any further. Does it have another meaning?
Old 19th October 2021, 19:14   #3149
BHPian

Quote:
On the rear suspension, Dismotech (bangalore) have put up a showa rear suspension, fully adjustable, for interceptor and Gt 650, for 23k, on their insta page. This is a taller suspension, having 130mm travel, compared to stock 88mm. I was wondering how something like this would affect the geometry. Ideally, i would not want to add to the present seat height, but if it makes a lot of positive difference riding on broken roads, and comfort on body, i do not mind trying. The front end of my bike is already increased by about 35mm from stock. Compared to YSS and OHLINS at 70k+, the SHOWA price point of 23k does look attractive as well.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CVMcsgst..._web_copy_link
This looks promising, I'm considering the way2speed front upgrade first because I feel every single bump in the road currently. Figured I might as well change the steering cone set to tapered bearings while the forks are off rather than wait for failure which seems to be inevitable judging by posts on the 650 telegram group I am a part of. Found NTN Tapered Roller Bearing Cone and Cup Set being sold by Road Power Customs - https://roadpowercustoms.com/shop/ol...-410-650-twins
adises is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 19:19   #3150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The front suspension of the Twins is crude to say the least. The KHAT sound could also be emanating from the floating brake disc. A Service Advisor showed me there is small movement if u pull the disc hard.
I have upgrade the oil in my forks, they now have Liqui Moly 15W, the company recommended capacity is 473 ml. With that much oil there is hardly any compression/suspension travel to speak of, so I removed some oil and now it is at 435ml. The front is now firm and does not bottom out. It is definitely better than the stock setup. I would have liked a bit more travel but then more elaborate mods are needed for that.

Quote:
The kit comprises of progressive springs, preload adjusters, longer spacer tube, 15mm damper rod extenders, a heavier grade oil. This was one of the best mods i have done on the interceptor. Very happy with how the front suspension behaves but in contrast, the rear suspension feels even more flawed now.With a sorted rear suspension, the bike would be really a treat to ride, even on bad roads. Way2speed have recently comeup with springs for rear suspension also, but i thought it was bit expensive for just the springs.
I had enquired with Melvyn about the front suspension upgrade but was looking for some reviews before I go ahead. Your feedback has really helped.
Did this upgrade increase the suspension travel?

The rear suspension is crude too, especially the rebound. It is super sharp and jolts the back. The W2S Showa suspension does seem like a good option, the price too is not outrageous. Will reach out to Melvyn if he can share some more information about it.

Last edited by hiren.mistry : 19th October 2021 at 19:21.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks