Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 23:32   #3151
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentstorm View Post
When I went for my first service there I was surprised to see them try to upsell the Red Rooster Performance mufflers. So changing the fork oil to a higher grade would not seem too outlandish. Just give your service center a try, if they refuse there are a few good places nearby in Kammanahalli/ Kalyan Nagar area.
Thank you for your wishes! Also, as suggested, during the 1st service at 500kms, ill check with them on replacing the fork oil to 7.5W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
What is the stock viscosity for the INT - 5W?
Its 2W! Hence, thinking of 7.5W before evaluating other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
If you want to take my advice, start small. I have started with installing preload adjusters and playing around with various setting combinations. It makes me feel the bike and engine a lot better every time I go for a ride. Once I have put enough running into it, I will go for the next upgrade (I already have the thicker oil with me) but I am in no hurry. I suggest you do this small adjustment and enjoy some more before the next big change.

And about the wobble, oh boy you just have to wait for a few thousand KMs. I mean I sincerely hope it doesn't happen to you. But I feel wobble on this bike and Thanos are both quite similar in nature
It makes sense to start small as you say. Ill try replacing the fork oil first and if that doesn't help much, will look at the preload adjusters. Am hoping the fork oil upgrade to do the trick, lets see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
I understand "bottoms out" to mean that the springs are fully compressed so the suspension cannot be compressed any further. Does it have another meaning?
Yes, it means there's no travel left and it is fully compressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
The front suspension of the Twins is crude to say the least. The KHAT sound could also be emanating from the floating brake disc. A Service Advisor showed me there is small movement if u pull the disc hard.
I have upgrade the oil in my forks, they now have Liqui Moly 15W, the company recommended capacity is 473 ml. With that much oil there is hardly any compression/suspension travel to speak of, so I removed some oil and now it is at 435ml. The front is now firm and does not bottom out. It is definitely better than the stock setup. I would have liked a bit more travel but then more elaborate mods are needed for that.
Sounds encouraging. What I'll do is go for 435ml (not the recommended 473ml) of Liqui Moly 7.5W and observe the improvement. Will focus on completing 500kms for now and keep the forum updated once i get it done.

Thank you all for the inputs!
abhi7013 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:01   #3152
BHPian

As I had a couple of hours to kill yesterday, I went to a nearby Royal Enfield dealer and took a test ride for Classic 350 and Continental GT. Ended up booking one GT Rocker Red and boy did I go overboard with the accessories. I think I chose them all . Also took the extended warranty+RSA thing and Gold AMC (I don't know how useful that will be). The tentative delivery date is given 17/01/2022. How accurate are these dates? Or is it another Thar fiasco?

A brief introduction about me. I had a Pulsar 180 back in 2013. Sold it in 2015 and got a Duke 390 (2nd Gen, the one with slipper clutch). I still have that one. As I keep travelling between Kolkata and Lucknow, I have kept the KTM with me in Lucknow and will use GT in and around Kolkata.

I have started reading this thread in reverse, have managed to go through 20 odd pages till now, will be finishing it in a few days. Meanwhile if you guys can summarise and tell me all the aesthetic and mechanical mods that are necessary and that work, based on the common issues or which can improve the performance. Apart from the genuine accessories, I will be buying a few things off Tripmachine's site. I was planning on procuring an LED headlight unit (something like CB350 or CB650), but could not find anything good and functional.

For the initial 1-2K Kms, I will not be fiddling with the mechanics of the bike, just the aesthetics, till I get the feel of the bike and know my requirements better. But if I know the common mods from now, I ll be able to research them thoroughly.

Those from Kolkata, can you suggest a good mechanic in the city and which service centre is the best and which ones to avoid?
Old 20th October 2021, 12:19   #3153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhrai View Post
TThe tentative delivery date is given 17/01/2022. How accurate are these dates? Or is it another Thar fiasco
Standard 3 months of time by any dealer in the nation!
Old 20th October 2021, 12:21   #3154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Standard 3 months of time by any dealer in the nation!
Any chance I ll get it earlier?
Old 20th October 2021, 19:17   #3155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adises View Post
Figured I might as well change the steering cone set to tapered bearings while the forks are off rather than wait for failure which seems to be inevitable judging by posts on the 650 telegram group I am a part of. Found NTN Tapered Roller Bearing Cone and Cup Set being sold by Road Power Customs - https://roadpowercustoms.com/shop/ol...-410-650-twins
According to the workshop manual, the Interceptor has roller bearings as standard rather than "cones" so would Road Power Customs' bearings be significantly better?
Old 20th October 2021, 19:54   #3156
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any chance I ll get it earlier?
The way things are, you will be lucky if you get it in three months also
Old 20th October 2021, 20:29   #3157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
The rear suspension is crude too, especially the rebound. It is super sharp and jolts the back. The W2S Showa suspension does seem like a good option, the price too is not outrageous. Will reach out to Melvyn if he can share some more information about it.
I misspoke, the Showa suspension is from Dismotech and not Way2Speed.
Old 21st October 2021, 16:22   #3158
BHPian

Quote:
I have started reading this thread in reverse, have managed to go through 20 odd pages till now, will be finishing it in a few days. Meanwhile if you guys can summarise and tell me all the aesthetic and mechanical mods that are necessary and that work, based on the common issues or which can improve the performance. Apart from the genuine accessories, I will be buying a few things off Tripmachine's site. I was planning on procuring an LED headlight unit (something like CB350 or CB650), but could not find anything good and functional.

For the initial 1-2K Kms, I will not be fiddling with the mechanics of the bike, just the aesthetics, till I get the feel of the bike and know my requirements better. But if I know the common mods from now, I ll be able to research them thoroughly.

Those from Kolkata, can you suggest a good mechanic in the city and which service centre is the best and which ones to avoid?
I guess, you do not need any mechanical or electrical modification, the stock bike is just fine. All the RE accessories you have already opted in. Headlight upgrade is only needed if you do highway ride that too after sunset. If possible get any good mid size top box for utilitarian purpose. I was super excited during 1st month of Baker Express and spent good fortune to get all RE accessories including GT Touring seat, handle bar riser, foot peg shifter, rear foot peg, SHAD Top Box. Among all GT Touring Seat, Top box and handlebar riser make sense now. Rest all, I do not even notice. Now my motor cycle 1.5 Years old but managed to run only 1,200 KMs.
The excitement fades up in sometime all your overboard customization will not make any sense. I purchased several car/bike detailing stuffs like wax, shampoo and what not. I also have BOSCH Advance series Aqua140 pressure washer which is around 25,000 INR. All these are just occupying space in home and I still rely on external car/bike wash.
Save money and use for fuel, you never know when you get the in Jan 2022, one liter of petrol will cost Rs.140.

Last edited by DDIS_RE650 : 21st October 2021 at 16:27.
DDIS_RE650 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 13:10   #3159
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I had enquired with Melvyn about the front suspension upgrade but was looking for some reviews before I go ahead. Your feedback has really helped.
Did this upgrade increase the suspension travel?
There is a small aluminum turned part which he calls dampner rod extender which increases the suspension travel by 15mm. I had read up couple of reviews before going for w2s front fork kit and was happy with the overall result. Also, for all those parts comprising of the kit, 10500Rs made sense, considering other options where starting at 29K.
Quote:
The rear suspension is crude too, especially the rebound. It is super sharp and jolts the back. The W2S Showa suspension does seem like a good option, the price too is not outrageous. Will reach out to Melvyn if he can share some more information about it.
As you said, Showa is from Desmo but the issue is its much taller. Our stock suspension is 360mm in length. Showa is 400mm in length, and they market it as a part of scrambler built. Desmotech has another rear shock by the brand SCARLET RACING. This is same as stock size, 360mm which can also be lowered to 340mm. Its fully adjustable. never heard of this brand before, and desmotech will only order it once we place order. takes about 3 weeks. at around 23k, i am not sure as there is no feedback on the same. Looks good though. (sharing pic below)
I have heard good reviews from two known riders of just the springs from W2S which we have to install on the stock rear shocks. But just the springs at 11.5k, i was not entirely convinced with the pricing.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20211020wa0023.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 14:56   #3160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
There is a small aluminum turned part which he calls dampner rod extender which increases the suspension travel by 15mm. I had read up couple of reviews before going for w2s front fork kit and was happy with the overall result. Also, for all those parts comprising of the kit, 10500Rs made sense, considering other options where starting at 29K.
As you said, Showa is from Desmo but the issue is its much taller. Our stock suspension is 360mm in length. Showa is 400mm in length, and they market it as a part of scrambler built. Desmotech has another rear shock by the brand SCARLET RACING. This is same as stock size, 360mm which can also be lowered to 340mm. Its fully adjustable. never heard of this brand before, and desmotech will only order it once we place order. takes about 3 weeks. at around 23k, i am not sure as there is no feedback on the same. Looks good though. (sharing pic below)
I have heard good reviews from two known riders of just the springs from W2S which we have to install on the stock rear shocks. But just the springs at 11.5k, i was not entirely convinced with the pricing.
Thanks for this, the Scarlet racing suspension looks interesting but the price is too close to Showa. I tried finding information on the Scarlet suspension, landed on their website. It is based out of Indonesia.

And here is the suspension page.

A quick google translate shows this:
SHOCK DOUBEL ADJUSTER 340mm Tube Equipped with adjustable high efficiency gas shock absorber Equipped with Length Adjuster, Preload Spring (Spring Hardness Adjustment) & Rebound Adjuster (24-click) Designed with progressive spring suitable for use alone or with a trolley and an adjuster compression24 click dsn in the settings even dsngstlsh mudsh. Meets racing standards and the ability to perform on the race track.

There is no info about the suspension travel or the whether it can take the weight of our Twins.
Old 22nd October 2021, 16:14   #3161
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Thanks for this, the Scarlet racing suspension looks interesting but the price is too close to Showa. I tried finding information on the Scarlet suspension, landed on their website. It is based out of Indonesia.
On the webpage, they have recommended bikes (Indonesian?) for these shocks which are usually around 100-200cc, hence these may not be ideal for interceptor weight. Desmotech said that there is one person who is installed these and is currently on the leh circuit tour. Have asked for his details, so can get some actual feedback.
So far, looks like the W2S springs for rear are the only options available except YSS and OHLINS.
Old 23rd October 2021, 17:55   #3162
BHPian

Guys, yesterday while parking my Continental GT650, I lost control, and had to let the bike down slowly, since I couldn't get it upright. Then after my friend helped me pick it up, I noticed petrol had leaked from the tank. Is that normal or do I have to get it checked? Please help
Old 24th October 2021, 08:41   #3163
BHPian

Quote:
Figured I might as well change the steering cone set to tapered bearings while the forks are off rather than wait for failure which seems to be inevitable judging by posts on the 650 telegram group I am a part of. Found NTN Tapered Roller Bearing Cone and Cup Set being sold by Road Power Customs - https://roadpowercustoms.com/shop/ol...-410-650-twins
Can you please elucidate on the imminent failure that you are referring to here?
Old 24th October 2021, 08:48   #3164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOWY227 View Post
Guys, yesterday while parking my Continental GT650, I lost control, and had to let the bike down slowly, since I couldn't get it upright. Then after my friend helped me pick it up, I noticed petrol had leaked from the tank. Is that normal or do I have to get it checked? Please help
Depends on how full your tank was and where it leaked from. If it came out of your fuel cap then that's expected in a horizontal position. Check the rubber cover of the fuel cap for cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkins View Post
According to the workshop manual, the Interceptor has roller bearings as standard rather than "cones" so would Road Power Customs' bearings be significantly better?
I have no idea actually, the tapered bearings are used on the Himalayan. I just came across it while Googling for cone set solutions. Will install and see. I doubt I'll be able to tell if it feels better or worse than standard roller bearings . My understanding is that the tapered one will last slightly longer.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 26th October 2021 at 12:30. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 24th October 2021, 18:42   #3165
BHPian

Quote:
If it came out of your fuel cap then that's expected in a horizontal position
Yes it's normal on Interceptors but surprisingly so. I had expected safety regulations would proscribe it but could not find anything in Indian or foreign regulations. A crash that turns into a fire can cause a lot more damage than one that doesn't. Engineering a fuel cap which is more fuel tight than the Interceptor's is not hard. My Splendor's fuel cap leaked less

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks