Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2021, 11:29   #3271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

I've not done a formal review or ownership experience of my bike and it's been a shade under 3 years, 18k kms.

Bike's fairly stock, except for a rear luggage rack with a removable backrest, HDCustoms' pillion footpeg jugaad that really helps and a phone grip to help with the times I need navigation.

The bike's been fantastic over the years, both in town and on my numerous trips to Coorg and back. Have had one set of tyres changed at about 11k. Paint quality and parts have all held up well. The bike responds as well as the early days, and the engine sound has settled down into a purr on the highway. The FE has been consistent between 23-26kmpl (I usually get 23-24 unless I'm riding real easy at a stead 70-80kmph, which the bike is surprisingly good at too!)

But the real trigger and revelation was the recent long road trip with the missus. We did Bangalore - Koyna - Kolad - Mumbai - Panchagani - Davangere and back home.

This was 2253 kms of easy, quick miles done and back home, safe and happy - 780 of those the first day! This was across fast, empty highways, winding hill roads, bad stretches and traffic, and cities with the attendant mayhem.

The Interceptor not only handled it, rider, pillion and enough luggage, with no hesitation or protest, but also made it a ton of fun - sometimes ripping nonchalantly and sometimes pottering peacefully equally easily and without stress. Contrary to our fears, there was no tiredness, no aching backs or arms even on days with terrible roads.

And those of you who ride will know those moments of near-oops as bikes and trucks appear and swerve suddenly, or a pothole shows up across a hairpin down a slope with gravel and sand around - this bike didn't let those happen at all, always reacting with no drama and with enough and margin to spare.

This is truly an all rounder and a solid tourer, with the right mods and kit.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20211228-11.28.49.jpg

Last edited by zenx : 30th December 2021 at 11:32.
zenx is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 30th December 2021, 16:05   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenx View Post
The Interceptor not only handled it, rider, pillion and enough luggage, with no hesitation or protest, but also made it a ton of fun - sometimes ripping nonchalantly and sometimes pottering peacefully equally easily and without stress. Contrary to our fears, there was no tiredness, no aching backs or arms even on days with terrible roads.
Please, if I may request to post the picture of your Interceptor, if not the entire motorcycle, atleast the seats & rear foot peg mods please since you say Inty handled the fun with the pillion as my missus had grudge as pillion. Tks
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2021, 17:16   #3273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Please, if I may request to post the picture of your Interceptor, if not the entire motorcycle, atleast the seats & rear foot peg mods please since you say Inty handled the fun with the pillion as my missus had grudge as pillion. Tks
Sure. Here you go. The foot peg mod is from HDTCustoms, and a JBR rear luggage rack with a removable backrest - removed - and a Viaterra tailbag strapped and bungeed down on it as a backrest.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20211227-19.03.26.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20211224-10.50.13.jpg  

zenx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 16:46   #3274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
As far as I know, RE warranty is limited to only the first owner. As soon as the bike is sold, the second owner cannot claim warranty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
This is not true, please check Owner's Manual, it's written in it, I had shared earlier. Once new owner's name is updated in vehicle documents you can update the details at RE service center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharika View Post
That's correct, I also got extended warranty once I have transferred the vehicle to my name. Warranty can't be linked to the first owner.
Spoke to the RE service center guys (Kings Auto, Baner, Pune) on this topic today. Here are the takeaways:

1. Svc guys were reluctant to update my name in their system - they said it could cause issues with warranty claims

2. I felt that this is a tactic being used to upsell extended warranty - I was given a quote of 3.6k for only 4th year and and 5.9k for 4th + 5th year extended warranty. Adding RSA increases this by another 2k each.

3. When asked why I should take EW if warranty claims are difficult for second owners the service guy suggested that I first pay for the EW and after a gap of around 2 weeks I should update my name in their system. This way it looks as if the first owner purchased the EW himself.

4. Yearly oil change at the ASC is enough to keep the warranty valid, the 6 month check up is not necessary.

I am inclined towards the EW since my bike has the wobble issue and I would want to have the repairs done under warranty.
Thoughts?
Old 3rd January 2022, 17:47   #3275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
I am inclined towards the EW since my bike has the wobble issue and I would want to have the repairs done under warranty.
Thoughts?
No need to incline, just take a jump to EW; remember it's Royal Enfield, not Kawasaki!! EW gives absolute peace of mind
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 19:53   #3276
BHPian

Quote:
Spoke to the RE service center guys (Kings Auto, Baner, Pune) on this topic today. Here are the takeaways:

1. Svc guys were reluctant to update my name in their system - they said it could cause issues with warranty claims

2. I felt that this is a tactic being used to upsell extended warranty - I was given a quote of 3.6k for only 4th year and and 5.9k for 4th + 5th year extended warranty. Adding RSA increases this by another 2k each.

3. When asked why I should take EW if warranty claims are difficult for second owners the service guy suggested that I first pay for the EW and after a gap of around 2 weeks I should update my name in their system. This way it looks as if the first owner purchased the EW himself.

4. Yearly oil change at the ASC is enough to keep the warranty valid, the 6 month check up is not necessary.

Thoughts?
This is the time you have leverage over them. Ask them to update your name in the records and only then you will go for EW. Use it.
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 20:35   #3277
BHPian

Take the EW, I had to struggle through wobble issue(now resolved) and had to follow up with RE support for 3 months and having regular service records with one dealership helped.

If you are looking at long term ownership and intend to do only minor modifications, then take EW. It goes long way in negotiating for goodwill even after EW period.

IMO, the warranty/EW is essentially for engine/gearbox/electricals in long term, everything else is a consumable(sprockets/bearings/tyres etc.) and wont be covered anyways.

Quote:
Thoughts?
setuniket is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:52   #3278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by setuniket View Post
Take the EW, I had to struggle through wobble issue(now resolved) and had to follow up with RE support for 3 months and having regular service records with one dealership helped.
How did they resolve the wobble? Steering bearing replacement?
jomson13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 21:59   #3279
BHPian

In my case, the steering nuts/bolts needed tightening. I had escalated to RE support after initial diagnosis of defective front tyre(Pirelli), after chasing RE for three months, replacement tyre was also arranged. I have asked dealership to retain the tyre, in case the current resolution is not permanent.

Quote:
How did they resolve the wobble? Steering bearing replacement?
setuniket is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 17:52   #3280
BHPian

Folks, I've been following this thread and every other Interceptor thread for a loooong time. Now I've decided to buy the Interceptor and when I enquired with the showrooms they are all quoting anywhere between 2-3 months waiting. However, I see a lot of used Interceptors (2019-20) in Bangalore with less than 10K mileage on various websites. I certainly would like to buy a new bike as I intend to keep this for a very long time. But the price difference of almost ~₹1L between new and used is making me think twice. But given my work schedule, I'd find it hard to keep visiting places around the city to check out used bikes.

I certainly would like to get the bike within a couple of weeks as I want to do some trips before the Indian summer kicks in and this is possible only with a used bike... very confused.

Do you guys suggest a low-run used Interceptor or wait for a shiny new one?
Old 4th January 2022, 18:18   #3281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Here's what I underwent before plunging into buying a new one last month.

2-3 months is quite normal; if the dealer is friendly enough you're likely to get even sooner, just like I got one.

If you want to save some money, get an used one, bonus being you're likely to find one sooner. If you want to attach yourself personally to one, a long term relationship, then get a new one. It's definitely practicality vs fantasy, brain vs heart, pride vs money!
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 19:06   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav View Post
Personal opinion - 1 lac isn't chump change to me. If your inspection of the used motorcycle leaves you satisfied... buy it. Plus I'm not very sentimental about machines. They're there for me to have fun... thats all. YMMV
Urban_Nomad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:07   #3283
BHPian

Since I bought my interceptor used, let me give you the pros and cons of a used interceptor.

Pros:
- Cheaper to buy
- Available almost immediately
- Gives you a bigger budget to buy riding gear/modify
- The depreciation doesnt bite as much if you decide to sell at a later date

Cons:
- Need to research to find an unabused example
- Chances of warranty running out
- Most used interceptors usually have tires at the end of their run cycle

Honestly, you can form an emotional bond with a vehicle regardless of whether you buy it new or used. The correlation between the ownership and emotional bond is unfounded.
2legit2quit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 20:13   #3284
Distinguished - BHPian

My suggestion pick a good pre owned one, one which is still in warranty. Get an extended warranty and use the saved one lac rupee for adding meaningful accessories to the bike. This is a highly customizable bike, and you can really transform it per your liking. A Small piece of advice the BS6 bikes somehow seems to have more electric gremlins then BS4 bike, if you get a low run BS4 bike, prefer that.

Best of luck with your search.
AtheK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 09:58   #3285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
if you get a low run BS4 bike, prefer that.
I did just that. Got a late 2019 Interceptor Orange Crush with 3900 on the ODO for 2.3 lacs.

It was a stock bike with no mods. First day of the purchase, I added some basic accessories (worth about 10k)
1. Engine Guard
2. Sump guard
3. Touring Seat (of continental GT)

I initially thought I would use the stock seat for a few days to try it out. However, I did a short ride for a couple of hours and the seat hurt already.

Yet to go on a long ride on the new seat. Looking forward to the upcoming weekend ride.
ssm2021 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks