Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2022, 02:50   #3361
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Hi, I have recently acquired Interceptor 650 and I wish to modify it for 2-up touring(~500kms a day). I am based out of Delhi NCR(Noida) and would really appreciate some leads and solution to the modifications I intend to do.

The mods I have planned are -

1. Seats - Very important. Stock seats are horrible.

2. Handlebar - Stock handlebar setup is alright, but can be configured to a more comfortable setup. Handlebar risers are available widely, but I am confused if the handlebar itself should be changed or it is better to just add the risers.

3. Headlight and Aux lights - Lots of options available online, but I do not know a trusted mechanic as I have never modified a motorcycle before extensively. I have planned a bulb upgrade to LED and for Aux lights, have shortlisted Maddog Scout-x(?) with filters. Can change it to Alpha if Scout-x output isn't satisfactory!

4. Saddle bags - Have planned for saddle stay with Rynox nomad saddle bags. If better option is available, do let me know. Do not intend to go for top-box at the moment.

5. Windshield - RE tall fly screen accessory is more of a form than function, any other windshield which is a direct fit?

6. Backrest - Planned for Zana backrest.

7. Sump guard, engine guard and radiator guard.

Thanks.
Mach_1590 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 08:13   #3362
Senior - BHPian

Congrats & welcome to the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach_1590 View Post
1. Seats - Very important. Stock seats are horrible
This thread has some pictures on the modified seat for 2-up riding. As Wife rode as pillion with stock seat, she is very happy with this setup (but still sings songs of praise with CBR 250R). I hope this should give you some insight. I'm indebted to Neil.Jericho to post some of the pictures in making of the seat in the ownership thread, will do it in due course, pls bear with me until then. Or if you're in hurry order one from Sahara Seats. Personally I didn't order one from them because it's way too cheaper to make one than ordering one from them (infact it incurred Rs 2K which should've ideally stopped at 1500, which ideally should've not gone past Rs 1200 if bargained)

Quote:
3. Headlight and Aux lights
This is what I use after @man_of_steel recommended Night Eye, the best in market, which turned out to be a sour grape episode.

Quote:
4. Saddle bags
Rynox is definitely good; but having been spoiled by ViaTerra's quality, we have this model. Note that, whether it's Rynox or Viaterra or any saddlebag, a saddle stay is MUST. Plenty of options in the market from Zana to any local brand. Since I don't have anything at the moment, pls pardon I can't provide a link or review on them.

Quote:
5. Windshield - RE tall fly screen accessory is more of a form than function, any other windshield which is a direct fit?
RE's tall FLYscreen is what I used, which is more of aesthetic than functional; I've no problems with windblast over 140 Kmph as well, so no complaints & I'm a bad person to be consulted for windscreen

Quote:
2. Handlebar
6. Backrest
7. Sump guard, engine guard and radiator guard
2. I'm not the best person because I'm happy with stock handlebar
6. We're not using one for now, so pls pardon
7. Pls opt for a sump guard although I'm riding without one as RE always say they run out of stock; radiator guard, not too sure because I never had an radiator guard on my CBR 250R (Japanese engineering) & still run on stock; same goes with RE, not sure when & where we might be in a jeopardy.

On engine guard, although I bought a short one for aesthetics, see Neil's experience here. Without drawing any judgement, just sticking to the point I want to convey, if the engine guard has to be functional, opt for a bigger one which MAY lower the impact of injury.

Last edited by aargee : 27th January 2022 at 08:15.
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 09:18   #3363
Distinguished - BHPian

Mach_1590, congratulations on your new Interceptor 650. Do share some pictures of your bike. You are lucky that most of your questions have already been answered on this thread with feedback on different products from owners. On
1. You can either go with Royal Enfield's touring seats or get after market ones from a poplar store in Delhi / Noida / Gurgaon. Most riders prefer the OEM touring seat but both work.
2. Get risers. They will allow you to add preload adjusters at a later point of time, if required.
3. Maddog's products are good.
4. Viaterra's quality seems to be half a step above Rynox's when it comes to saddle bags and touring products.
5. One of my friends has experimented with different setups and is very happy with the Puig Retrovision. You might have to import it from abroad. My friend has tried various setups including screens with the ProSpec extension but this one is by far the best for reducing wind blast for highway rides. I have used a Puig windscreen earlier and their stuff is of good quality and lasts for a long time.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-whatsapp-image-20220114-11.02.50.jpeg

7. Get the OEM ones. They are of good quality.
neil.jericho is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 12:25   #3364
BHPian

Quote:

The mods I have planned are -

1. Seats - Very important. Stock seats are horrible.
I have done 650 km+ on stock sets, find them perfectly fine. But each bum is different, so lot of after market options available like Sahara seats. Or it can be custom made by a seat maker easily as needed. If the foam density is your problem then RE touring seat will fix that. But if the shape of the seat is the issue, then look for aftermarket ones.

Quote:
2. Handlebar - Stock handlebar setup is alright, but can be configured to a more comfortable setup. Handlebar risers are available widely, but I am confused if the handlebar itself should be changed or it is better to just add the risers.
I would suggest ride a few hundred Kms before making any change, this is also something I find perfectly fine, I am 5.10". But again, just google and you would find tonnes of options.

Quote:

3. Headlight and Aux lights - Lots of options available online, but I do not know a trusted mechanic as I have never modified a motorcycle before extensively. I have planned a bulb upgrade to LED and for Aux lights, have shortlisted Maddog Scout-x(?) with filters. Can change it to Alpha if Scout-x output isn't satisfactory!
I recently bought a DAPS 120 W LED headlamp bulb. Comes with one year warranty. Really good throw and illumination. Does the job well. Since I like to keep the look clean, did not opt for Aux lights and don't feel the need anymore.

Quote:

I have installed a Himalayan windshield with the clamp from MK Designs. Looks proportionate and goes well with the overall look of the bike. The OEM Meteor touring windshield fits too with some simple modification to the clamp that comes with it. Checkout NCR Motorcycles YouTube channel for installation. Apart, a host of aftermarket ones are available. Inase you go with the MK designs clamp for Himalayan windshield, make sure to remove the paint on it and get it painted properly before fitting else it starts to get rusty within a year.

Quote:
6. Backrest - Planned for Zana backrest.
Havent heard great reviews for the Zana one. I got one from the local market here in Pune, works really well and is sturdy. So I would suggest shop around rather then looking for options online. Would suggest not to go for any kind of top box. On a friends bike, the frame gave up from the rear (from behind the pillion seat) after using a top box for a couple of rides.

Quote:
7. Sump guard, engine guard and radiator guard.
RE accessory ones work just fine. Radiator guard, I don't think is really needed.

Last edited by ishan12 : 27th January 2022 at 12:36.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 15:23   #3365
BHPian

@Mach_1590. Keep stock handle bar, it is of decent quality and looks good. I finally installed the carbon racing bar risers after close to a year of owning the bike and it has made alot of difference to comfort, seating position and feel. In fact it has made so much of a difference that i wished I had installed it alot earlier esp when I was doing long rides. If there is only one thing to change on the Int.650 it is to put on the risers. Get the ones that are higher up and pulled back towards the rider. You will need to reroute clutch, throttle and abs cables/wires which some mechanics are not willing to do.

I am currently contemplating getting the Powerage exhausts on mine. Not keen on changing airfilter because i will have to remove the snorkel (which will allow water to seep into the intake, say if the bike is parked on the side stand and it rains) Also im not willing to invest in a powertronic at this point. Might consider a booster plug if absolutely necessary to upjet with the Powerage exhausts.

Do i need to get the free flow air filter and bump up fueling to run the Powerage exhausts?

Also:
Do not want to be stopped by the cops and fined.
Do not want to reduce engine life.
Do not want to make long rides uncomfortable because of a loud exhaust.

What would you guys advise? Should i go for the Powerage long SS exhaust or should i just stick to full stack vehicle saar.

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 27th January 2022 at 15:28.
2StrokeJunkie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 15:55   #3366
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I have recently acquired Interceptor 650 and I wish to modify it for 2-up touring(~500kms a day).
The questions you asked have already been answered plenty, only things I'll add are:

1. I got one of these footpeg extender things from MK Design. You can get a no-name one for cheaper, search for video by Vijay Hansora on Youtube, Pillion Footrest Extender. It makes a big difference in pillion comfort.

2. I picked up the Powerage short exhausts. This is so that I don't constantly have to worry about burning saddlebags, shoes, or legs. Yet to install it however so can't say if it's good or not.

Last edited by RiderZone : 27th January 2022 at 15:56.
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2022, 17:11   #3367
Distinguished - BHPian

I had installed MK design Handle Bar risers, after using them for few months I have hence reverted back to Stock setup. I find that more comfortable, where in sitting was more upright, I personally found the handling taking a bit of hit.

I am using Continental GT 650 premium touring seat with a cowl, I find it very comfortable.

Maddog are good lights, they should serve you well.

Windshield I have got the clamps for Himalayan windshield, though I still have to get hold of the windshield.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 08:08   #3368
Senior - BHPian

11,000km update. This came up pretty fast. I am going to contradict myself with this update after writing about a certain distance that I could cover comfortably with this motorcycle, as mentioned on my last (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin) update. I ended up riding 780km. In a day! This update is less about the bike and more about the journey I took.

Route Map

There was no plan. It was a Saturday. Woke up lazy. Looked out the window. It was going to be a bright and sunny day. Prepared some cereal and took it easy. The previous day, my wife said we had no plans, we’ll take it easy and if I wanted, to go for a ride. I was tripped. Its not often she says this. That too, I get the entire day to ride. Summer in New Zealand means I have daylight till ~ 930pm. Its great for riding. I checked the weather. Wind was no more than 16kmph. It was going to be a warm day too. By about 10am, I was ready to hit the road. Strapped my Trip Machine bag, opened up all the ventilation slots on my jacket, fired up the bike and headed out.

Like I said, I had no plan, no specific direction or destination. One of the things I like to do is explore New Zealand's lost, forgotten and neglected railway network. Kiwi Rail runs and owns the network and it's far from busy. The railway lost to the road. Trucks move most of New Zealand freight. I think the move was political. For whatever reason, the Government did not invest or care enough for NZ rail. Maybe there is a legit reason behind this as much of New Zealand is rural and you cannot build railway lines that are not going to be used a lot. That's a wasted investment. As a result, trucks dominate the road. Like me, if you are into trucks, you’ll actually love it. Except for one thing. When those mutli trailer semi’s pass you, you are hit with the equivalent of a tidal wave of air, you could get thrown off or lose control of your motorcycle. I tighten my grip a little on the handlebar when these trucks pass, as they are doing no less than 100kmph! On the positive side, the variety of trucks on the road is amazing. There is everything from modern Scania’s, Volvo, Isuzu, UD’s and then the more interesting ones like Mack’s, Freightliner, Western Star, International and Kenworths. If you like trucks with an attitude, there ain’t anything better than American. The best part is how well these drivers maintain their trucks. I’ve rarely come across a filthy truck. These machines are a sight to see. Some are tastefully done, some have excess chrome that stand out. After sun down, they look like a Christmas tree on wheels. Beautiful to look at.

We did a couple of road trips by car last month and I recall we passed a few points of railway property. One of the tracks was beside a river and I remember the water was blue. It was a beautiful setting. I did not stop at the time. I decided that this would be my first stop. The town was called Patea. A good 264km from home. The ride started slow with some weekend traffic to deal with at Otaki. This is a regular choke point on weekends and long holiday breaks. It reminds me of the days when you’d aim to clear Hosur, whenever you headed out of Bangalore. That first toll would be an absolute nightmare. Its a lot more civilised here. Vehicles just stay on their lanes and nobody overtakes if there is a traffic pile up. For us folks on motorcycles, we jump the line. Where it was safe and there was enough space to pass, I just went beside the long line of cars to get ahead. Eventually got out of Otaki and things were smooth sailing after this. I noticed a lot of vintage cars heading in the opposite direction. Spotted the iconic DeLorean too. Its the second one I have seen in New Zealand but this was the first one I saw running on the road. It was quite a sight. Flawed as a car it was, the design holds up to any modern day car. Possibly better looking than most of them. I spotted a Triumph Spitfire, Citroen, several MG’s, old Rolls Royce’s. There were many I could not identify too. All of this kept me entertained and kept my mind diverted from my rear end which was starting to feel sore too soon.

My first pit stop of the day was Bulls. It's a major stop for folks travelling to Auckland as the usual McDonalds and a few other eating joints are around. State Highway 3 runs right through the town and you clear bulls in less than 1km distance. I decided to pull over at Esbighs Eatery. I’d stopped here once before and they had some nice vegetarian cutlets. They sell meat too. The store is located at a corner and was once a Shell gas station. There is no indoor seating. A few sheltered benches outside is all. Makes for a nice car and truck spotting location as everything passes right in front of you. I’d not met the owner last time as his daughter served me. This time, I met him and we got chatting. The obvious question was, where was I headed and I told him I was riding without any real destination of sorts. He nodded positively, that's the way to do it maan. In kiwi expression “Easy As”. We then got onto talking about our life experiences, his attempt at doing Auckland Wellington in a Mazda 323 in a flat 7 hours. Takes the same time or more today! He sold books, worked at a Hi Fi store. He’d experienced life in a way that I never could and this little eatery was his retirement purchase. We then got onto talking about the recent volcanic eruption in Tonga. What’s interesting about it was, there was satellite imagery that indicated 2 hours ahead of the eruption that the land was sinking. Nobody could act fast enough and Tonga is pretty isolated. A rescue flight would be several hours away, if they ever wanted to start evacuating people. Then we went onto Climate change and his take was, the world is overreacting. In his view, this was just nature doing its own thing and the change is cyclic. We have to deal and adjust with this change. I didn’t argue on the matter. We then went onto my half baked itinerary and he confirmed it was going to be a long day. I had time on my hands so was not too bothered. We shook hands, I topped up on gas and resumed journey.

The road leading to Patea is the same stretch of road where I ran out of gas. This time, I could enjoy this section of road better. The road is arrow straight in places and then goes up and down with a lot of long sweepers. Once again, those vintage cars kept passing and I am sure I crossed around hundred. The road offers spectacular views of the Cook Strait or Tasman Sea as the coastline is not too far off the highway. Traffic was sparse too. I reached Patea and headed for the railway line. As usual, it had seen better days. There was a goods shed which appeared abandoned. There was one loop line too. Its an active line but probably sees no more than half a dozen freight trains in 24 hours. The Patea River runs alongside the line for a good distance. The line also services New Zealand largest milk producer Fontera and this is one of their factories. Fontera is the Amul of New Zealand. As usual, most of the milk leaves the factory in modern Volvo trucks. There was not much to see or do here so I decided to move on to my next stop which was Hawera.

I went to Hawera only because google maps showed me the station had a fairly large railway yard. After getting there, I noticed that the main station building was now a liquor shop. The yard lines were covered in shrubs. There was nothing worth seeing here. What was more interesting to spot was an old Foden Truck. Looked like it was headed for the scrap yard. I’m not familiar with this brand of truck. Turns out its British.

I decided to get some lunch at Hawera. Explored some of the main streets of the town and realised this was a fairly large town compared to the many in between that I passed. Went to a bakery and had a steak and mushroom pie. A pie is a kiwi favourite. It’s New Zealand’s version of the vada paav. You get it everywhere and it’s a meal by itself. Not a healthy one if you eat it all the time. This particular bakery did not make their pie’s very well so I walked out disappointed. It is rare for a bakery here to screw up a pie.

After lunch, I had to figure out what to do for the next leg of the ride. Do I head back home or explore some more. It was 330pm. I decided to take a call on extending my journey after riding back to Whanganui. It took a little over an hour. After reaching Whanganui, I was in two minds on whether I should explore State Highway 4. It was 430pm and I wanted to get back home before sundown. We have a New Zealand map hung on the wall at home. The map suggested this road was going to be a twisty one and who does not like twisties. I’ve got the perfect tool (or motorcycle) for it too. The highway runs alongside the Whanganui River for some distance and then turns inland, goes up a hill and down again to the plains. My plan was to ride to Raetihi, head East and then back southward and towards home. Its a bit of a loop ride. A calculation on google maps suggested I had the right amount of time. I can be home by 10pm. I did not want to ride too long after sunset. Worse case, I could pull over and stay at a motel. This road hardly had any traffic and I enjoyed every bit of it. The hills, gorges and some of the views from the road were breathtaking in the evening light. I pulled over to soak in some of the sights, even though I knew time was not on my side. You can’t waste an opportunity like this after you’ve come this far. I was supposed to ride upto to Raetihi, head East from this town to join State Highway 49 and then onto State Highway 1 at Waiouru. I changed that plan a little when I discovered a turn off sign that said Waiouru (A military base camp town) via Fields Track at Kakatahi. This would be a gamble but I thought I will give it a go and if the road turns bad, I’ll turn around. Fortunately the road surface was chip-seal and I could ride without a problem. It was narrow, unmarked, remote and in a distance of 56km, I passed 4 cars! It did start to sink in that I am absolutely alone in this area and I should take it easy, which I did. Fortunately some farmhouses started to dot the road every now and then so I knew there was some help available which was not too far, if I ever needed it. I doubt if the area had cell phone reception. This stretch of road was the slowest part of the entire journey. Speeds not exceeding 70kmph as it was narrow and winding. What amazed me the most was there were schools in this remote part of the country. New Zealand is a small country and one thing they’ve made sure is that no child is too far away from a school.

I was feeling relieved after reaching or joining State Highway 49. This is an alternative to the main trunk route used to travel between Wellington and Auckland. I was back in familiar territory. I reached Waiouru at 7pm and pulled over for a quick stop. It was dinner time. I decided to push it and eat at home. Sent a text to my wife to tell her where I was and resumed journey. The route back was all too familiar, having done it several times by car and a couple on the motorbike. For what is still the holiday season, the highway was deserted. I made one restroom stop at Hunterville and a fuel stop at Levin. From here on, it was non stop back to Wellington. The roads were empty for the last 375km! I reached home just after 10pm. The schedule was spot on. I discovered a part of New Zealand I had never seen or ridden on and I managed to squeeze in some forgotten relics of New Zealand railway. I was quite wrecked from the journey. Every bit of my body was stiff, exhausted. I went straight to our bedroom, jumped into my shorts, gobbled up some dinner and went straight to bed. It felt as if I was getting off a wooden slab seat of what used to be found on 2S Class (or cattle class as I call it) and going into the cool and comfortable confines of First AC in a Rajdhani. If you’ve ever done unreserved travel in summer and the TT suddenly offered you 3A, you’ll know what that feels like.

The bike ran like a clock. The engine ticked along just fine, unstressed. By New Zealand standards, it was a warm day and that toll was more on me than the bike. I had every ventilation slot wide open, which I had to shut later in the evening as the air started to get cold. The Interceptor is a fun little (by its profile) motorcycle. The bike was at home in the twisties and the gearbox made it easy work in those remote hills. It's a lot more fun to ride this bike, constantly flicking between the gears versus just going flat out on a highway. Every gear shift lets you explore the engine and its capabilities. Those shifts bring along some intake and exhaust pops (or farts. Not sure what to call it) which makes the ride entertaining. It's these simple pleasures that make riding a motorcycle memorable. There is no better way to travel and see the countryside.

This road looks rather non descript. Its called Speedy Road. From a previous ride, I had noticed a couple who were also on a motorcycle, turn off the highway and head down this road. I did not follow them. Made a note of the road name. For this ride, I thought I will give it a go. Its a by pass road for the town of Sanson. As the name suggests, it is indeed a road to test the "speediness" of your vehicle, which I did.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_115233.jpg

What is left of Patea station. A loop line and an abandoned goods shed seen in the distance, with the Patea river running alongside.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_142725.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_142545.jpg

Hawera and a yard that no longer exists. Its also the point where the railway line from the Fontera milk factory joins the main line.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_150815.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_150351.jpg

A Foden truck headed for the scrap yard.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_150624.jpg

A Fontera milk carrier and some other examples of trucks that carry milk in New Zealand. These trucks are always going flat out on the highway, even with a full payload. The control these truck drivers have is superlative. 99% of New Zealand highways are single lane. If you ride anything below a Harley Davidson or a Honda Goldwing, the wind buffeting hits you hard and almost immediately after the truck passes you. One must take extra care.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_0826.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20210321_181700.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20191114_121929.jpg

St. Marys Anglican Church, Upokongro (Whanganui District)

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_170037.jpg

This photo does not do justice to how pretty this location was. State Highway 4, Kakatahi

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_172851.jpg

Fields Track which was the chip seal rode I took. You'll notice that it isn't specifically marked or highlighted on Google Maps. It won't tell you to use this road if you plot a route. The width of the road is all you can see on the far right of the photo. An suv can fit. Two vehicles cannot cross each other unless one pulls over to the side. Its a narrow path.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_174543.jpg

Whangaehu Valley Road. Back on familiar territory after clearing Fields Track. Mount Ruapehu spotted in the distance, with the top covered in clouds. In Winter, that hill is usually covered in snow.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220122_181130.jpg
sandeepmohan is offline   (38) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 03:01   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Congrats & welcome to the club

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Mach_1590, congratulations on your new Interceptor 650. Do share some pictures of your bike.

Thank you for the warm wishes Will post the pictures soon once I get some good day light.

Based on the suggestions that poured in, I have made few purchases as listed.

1. Ordered the seats from Sahara seats. They are expensive but I did hear good reviews about them. Checked it out in person as well and liked the overall quality.

2. Will be keeping the handlebar stock, shall decide after few long rides.

3. Headlight and Aux Lights - Will go for Maddog ScoutX and change the headlight bulb to LED. Should solve the visibility concern.

4. Ordered the Viaterra Condor 2up with Zana saddle stay. I hope it will be enough for a 3-4 day ride. Already have a Viaterra tank bag, albeit its not magnetic.

5. Ordered the Puig dark smoke windscreen from bikenbiker.

6. Ordered the Zana backrest with parcel shelf impulsively as wifey is scared to accompany without one.

7. As advised, will go with the RE accessories(Sump and Engine guard)

Also, for Intercom, ordered the Vnet V6. Will mostly be used to communicate with the pillion. Hence, nothing fancy here.
I find the stock exhausts good, not considering aftermarket ones.

I will post the pics once done with the mods. Shall take a week's time or so.

P.S Aargee Sir, glad that we own the same bike again, your CBR thread made my CBR 250 ownership a bliss. Sold the CBR in '17 , still miss it dearly.

Thanks.
Mach_1590 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 10:23   #3370
BHPian

I have a 2019 Interceptor with a translucent headlight glass. I want it replaced with a clear glass unit. My research suggests that the RE headlight comes as an assembly and replacing the glass alone is not simple. RE branded clearlens headlamp for the twins(2020 onwards) retails for ~Rs.6500 which I think is expensive. Are there any other replacement options for the OEM unit made by 3rd parties with a clear lens? I want something where I don't want to retrofit holders /connectors(H4) etc.

Like many others in this forum, I have patiently waited for official alloy wheels for the Interceptor but there are no signs of the company launching 'em. There is now this theory that the company may never introduce alloys for the twins for commercial reasons and so I am finally thinking about tubeless conversion kits. Way2speed retails a popular one which seems economical. I want to know if these kits have a limited life or do they last many years. Feedback from some early users will be very helpful.

Aftermarket exhausts are not road legal largely for 2 reasons - they breach prescribed sound levels and full system ones aften do away with the cat-con increasing emissions. I wonder if replacing the stock with some of the nicer sounding ones (like Aew with baffles) will help keep the cops at bay but more importantly, if only replacing the end cans will not tinker with emissions. Pls advise.

Last edited by HandfulOfHell : 29th January 2022 at 10:46. Reason: Spelling errors
HandfulOfHell is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 10:29   #3371
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem with stock exhaust is that they get extremely hot, get footrest extender since you are planning to keep them, or pillion will inadvertently end up getting burns. They get hot even in small 5 minute ride.

You can also look at changing the Headlight dome with LED setup, looks visually appealing and has a very good light throw, you get good one from HJG brand and they are plug and play. I have these but you have many other options too.

Congratulations again and wish you safe rides ahead.
Old 29th January 2022, 11:07   #3372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
The problem with stock exhaust is that they get extremely hot, get footrest extender since you are planning to keep them, or pillion will inadvertently end up getting burns. They get hot even in small 5 minute ride.

You can also look at changing the Headlight dome with LED setup, looks visually appealing and has a very good light throw, you get good one from HJG brand and they are plug and play. I have these but you have many other options too.

Congratulations again and wish you safe rides ahead.
I am actually exploring changing the exhaust to an aftermarket one for the very same reasons. While I am at it, I am wondering if you can suggest me something that sounds better than the stock but not thrashy so as to not attract attention of the cops. But more importantly, I want to know if they fiddle with emissions.

I like the LED set-up but what I have generally noticed is that they are better at the low-beam (short distances) but have a poor high beam (long distance). This is becuase the color signature of LEDs is cooler than Halogen and so penetrate/travel less over the warmer OEM unit. I'd love to hear your feedback based on your experience.
Old 29th January 2022, 11:42   #3373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
I am actually exploring changing the exhaust to an aftermarket one for the very same reasons. While I am at it, I am wondering if you can suggest me something that sounds better than the stock but not thrashy so as to not attract attention of the cops. But more importantly, I want to know if they fiddle with emissions.

I like the LED set-up but what I have generally noticed is that they are better at the low-beam (short distances) but have a poor high beam (long distance). This is becuase the color signature of LEDs is cooler than Halogen and so penetrate/travel less over the warmer OEM unit. I'd love to hear your feedback based on your experience.
I have AEW, which sound very nice at low RPM, they are definitely louder then stock but not obnoxiously loud. I usually hold the clutch while crossing cops, at times I have noticed them late and just went by without getting noticed by them or being stopped. The problem though is that they crackle and pop and they have a mind of there own, so that is something you need to be aware of. Plus I never ride with the baffles out, because if you remove the baffles it becomes extremely loud and annoying as well. Regarding emissions I am pretty confident they won’t be meeting the current emission norms, how much is the deviation is anyone guess though. That said don’t worry about it spitting out soot, and for the entry price point they are pretty worth it. You can also check Powerage exhaust, it has got good reviews too.

You are right about high beam part of LED and the way these aftermarket ones are that they will make the spot nearer to the bike more bright without making too much difference on the long throw. I don’t prefer riding in dark much so they suffice for me, but if you ride a lot in ride my suggestion will be to go with additional Aux light setup like Maddog, that will make a lot of difference. That said anything is better then the candle light that RE provides on the name of headlights

Hope this helps.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 15:11   #3374
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I have recently acquired Interceptor 650 and I wish to modify it for 2-up touring(~500kms a day). I am based out of Delhi NCR(Noida) and would really appreciate some leads and solution to the modifications I intend to do.
@Mach_1590: Congratulations on the Interceptor 650, wish you many happy miles with the new steed, it is an amazing bike.

I have an Interceptor and a Dominar in the garage and enjoying 2 different flavours after having a CBR250R for 7 years. Great to be in touch with common CBR past/present - yourself, Aargee sir!

Coming to your queries, though already answered by experts, here are my 2 cents, hope these help:

1) I have Sahara Seat, went for the looks, better than stock in terms of overall feel (first photo). I find it slightly soft after using over few long rides and will have them bolstered soon. Another issue is that they get wet after wash and takes time to dry.

3) I replaced the headlight bulb with LED and it works well, I don't do much night riding, I have clamps in place for fogs, still on the fence. My dominar has them and they are quite versatile.

5) I went for the stock Himalayan visor and they work well, cheapest option IMHO. I have carbon racing on my dominar, would be the perfect size for wind resistance but I am not a big fan of those clamps so did not go for Carbon Racing on Interceptor. You need to buy an MK Design clamp from Amazon (cost me 1k) and the Himalayan Visor is 530 Rs from RE service centre.

6) I have Zana and they work well.

7) RE Accessories

Get a pillion footrest extender, helps with pillion seating comfort and also protects the silencer

EDIT - Sorry I started writing this couple of days ago and realised you have already ordered most of the stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-sahara-seats.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-inkedmk-design-clamp_li.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-inkedhimalayan-visor-1_li.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-inkedhimalayan-visor-2_li.jpg  

Last edited by Meer : 30th January 2022 at 15:26. Reason: Additional comment in the end
Meer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st January 2022, 11:12   #3375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have AEW, which sound very nice at low RPM, they are definitely louder then stock but not obnoxiously loud. I usually hold the clutch while crossing cops, at times I have noticed them late and just went by without getting noticed by them or being stopped. The problem though is that they crackle and pop and they have a mind of there own, so that is something you need to be aware of. Plus I never ride with the baffles out, because if you remove the baffles it becomes extremely loud and annoying as well.
I have an AEW TE201. With baffles on, the sound it almost like stock. Very marginally bassier. Dont think any cop will give a second look.

After some weeks, wanted to see how it sounds so removed the baffle. To my surprise, even without baffles, its not obnoxiously loud. Even the poping is much controlled and does not really bother like it did on the bonnie with TORS pipes. Its definitely much louder than stock, but in a nice way, esp while de-accelerating. I had removed the baffles just to test it, and still running without baffles.
The pipes do get loud when one whacks open the throttle. but with proper modulation, i have been passing cops everyday and the sound is nothing alarming, and merges with ambient road noise. I do intend to put the baffles back, but am in no hurry and enjoying this.
nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed