Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:16   #3766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
Not sure if this was brought up earlier here but MRF has the Zapper Y tubeless tyre for Interceptor rear wheel. I just replaced mine yesterday and one thing which is very clear is the tip ins into the corner are much quicker and take less effort.
Attaching couple of images
Is there a MRF Zapper tubeless option for the front as well? I generally don't like to mix n match the front and rear tyres from different brands.

I have been waiting for the tubeless rear tyre from Ceat for an awful long time now - with no sign from RE or Ceat.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2023, 18:56   #3767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Is there a MRF Zapper tubeless option for the front as well?
I plan to check in coming days. My front is still good for another 3-4k km I feel. I did ask at the shop I got the tyre change done about the front. He said while there is an identical size i.e. Rear tyre for Karizma, it is not meant to be installed for front.
Will update if i find anything.
iamgyan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2023, 09:22   #3768
BHPian

Hi all - checking to see if anyone is aware of the delivery timelines/waiting period for the Interceptor 650 in Bangalore. TIA.
Old 4th January 2023, 12:24   #3769
BHPian

My friend who booked his from Electonic City Motors recently waited for around 2 months
WhiskeyTangoFox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 14:50   #3770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I've the Marsh Auto pre-load adjusters, need to play around with them all over again for the static sag compensation.

More on air filter cleaning DIY on the next post.
I've dialed out the pre-load adjusters to minimum mark (default preload of 4mm). It seems the thicker fork oil is doing its job. Need to do the static sag measurements all over again!

In addition, I opened up the LHS cover to check the Motowings air filter. How an allen bolt keeps me away from opening the LHS cover. The required allen key is also provided in the toolkit, still!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20221217_171612.jpg

I tapped cleaned the filter and didn't use any compressed air (from portable air compressor) I found particulate residue inside, the filter oils did its job.

Now my take is, it was a lot more than I had expected. This is my first experience with performance filters so I don't have a reference point. I'll check again.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20221217_171539.jpg

Now the air filter is washable and re-usable. It is constructed of layered surgical grade cotton gauze sandwiched between epoxy coated aluminum mesh. I seek help from DIY expert team-bhpians to share the proper way and affordable products to do this job? What interval should this be cleaned and then how to re-apply the filter oil?
OR leave this to an expert technician?

What I thought, the amount of dust entering the air filter is same for performance & stock filter. If the dust is seen as a residue it means that the performance filter is doing its job well, no? Please share your thoughts!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20221217_172252.jpg

I also installed the stage-2 kit from Ngage (BikeNBiker), this is a much better cover and seals the air filter tight in the place. Much better than the 3 piece filter holders available (which I had earlier, removed to put the stock snorkel cover). The intake sound can be heard at hard accelerations! Let's see how much more muck it collects without the snorkel.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 9th January 2023 at 14:53.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 23:34   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
Engine oil change at FNG

I always wanted to change the stock RE synthetic oil to something available off the shelf.

Shell Advance Long ride

...... but new oil is always sweet to ride!

How was the long term experience with Shell engine oil? Anything noticeably different, or more or less the same as RE's Liquid Gun? If you changed the oil since, which one you changed to?

My Interceptor feels kind of rough. I feel it can perform much smoother with a better engine oil. At one point I used Motorex which is considered very premium. Bike ran smoother indeed but I didn't feel that it justified the price difference.

About a year ago I had changed my scooter's engine oil at a Shell petrol pump. Since then the scooter has been purring away happily. That's the reason I'm thinking of giving Shell a try for my bike too.
Biker Ram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 10:54   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker Ram View Post
How was the long term experience with Shell engine oil? Anything noticeably different, or more or less the same as RE's Liquid Gun? If you changed the oil since, which one you changed to?
It's only been a couple of thousand kms and it's better than the RE synthetic oil. You can try Shell for 6 months. The gear shifts are slicker and revving the engine feels smother. The head cover of the engine is made of very light/thin metal hence that noise/clatter is present!

Other options are,
Motul 7100 - well proven
Castrol Power1 - well promoted

I've one last free service left, where I'll have to change back to RE synthetic oil then after 5-6 months I'll try Motul.

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 13:34   #3773
BHPian

Does it make any sense to switch to a high performance air filter (DNA, K&N) + a stage II kit while sticking to the stock exhausts?
Old 13th January 2023, 14:48   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
Does it make any sense to switch to a high performance air filter (DNA, K&N) + a stage II kit while sticking to the stock exhausts?
In my experience with BMC, no. The only difference that I noticed was a marked intake sound because of the stage 2 plate thing. Could've got the same by just cutting out the stock filter cover. After I put on some slip-ons, that intake sound was no longer noticeable. For the price, I wouldn't recommend these filters and stage 2 kits.
Old 13th January 2023, 17:39   #3775
Distinguished - BHPian

Bangalore folks - any recommendations for a good FNG option to get my INT650 serviced? Am not looking at getting back to a RE service center; so would appreciate any setup that are good with the 650s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
I plan to check in coming days. My front is still good for another 3-4k km I feel. I did ask at the shop I got the tyre change done about the front. He said while there is an identical size i.e. Rear tyre for Karizma, it is not meant to be installed for front.
Will update if i find anything.
Thanks for sharing this. Mind sharing the store and the exact product details? Also IIRC, the default Pirelli tires were also tubeless but on the Twins with their alloy spoke wheels, the setup required to be run with tubes. How does the above MRF option work?
Old 13th January 2023, 17:49   #3776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Mind sharing the store and the exact product details? Also IIRC, the default Pirelli tires were also tubeless but on the Twins with their alloy spoke wheels, the setup required to be run with tubes. How does the above MRF option work?
Got it from MRF exclusive store near Varthur. You can call and check either this or any other MRF exclusive store. There's one in HSR too but they didn't have stock

MRF Exclusive, Varthur(KMK Tyres)
https://maps.app.goo.gl/TZjY8MLfW7d7D9Yb6

This is still with tube. I retained the old tube as I haven't had any punctures so far *touchwood
iamgyan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 10:14   #3777
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Nitty gritty observations from an Interceptor 650 owner

Nice observations Suraj. Linking the post here for other Twin owners to refer to.

Quick Qs
1. How does the seat position fare on the height aspect? Say for someone like me (5'10) or taller? From initial videos/pics, the seat position seems lower
2. Any accessories / parts that we can plan to leverage for our respective Twins?
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 12:57   #3778
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsenroy View Post
I've been using the DNA air filter with stock exhausts, with cut off intake snorkel cover. It does make the exhaust note perceptibly bassier, rest performance etc I haven't noticed much difference.
Vtach is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 16:50   #3779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Nice observations Suraj. Linking the post here for other Twin owners to refer to.

Quick Qs
1. How does the seat position fare on the height aspect? Say for someone like me (5'10) or taller? From initial videos/pics, the seat position seems lower
2. Any accessories / parts that we can plan to leverage for our respective Twins?
Thanks!

1. I'm 5'8" tall and had no problem. Real test will be when we move the bike out of showroom parking using our legs. I think taller people will have advantage here! Check out "HT Auto" YouTube channel's SM650 review video. The reviewer is HUGE! I'll share the link on the SM650 thread later.

2. Depends, off the shelf RE has very less accessories listed now. LED indicators should be a direct swap. But from the spare parts bin, many cosmetic bits can be thought of,
- Black engine covers and the black starter cover (not sure)
- Silver finish switch gear now it has room for return throttle cable! (Meteor's had single)
- Assuming Clutch & Throttle cables are longer for the SM650, those with handlebar risers or wider handlebars can consider (need to confirm this)

Nothing else I saw on SM650 which I felt like having on my Interceptor!

Ideally, RE should launch INT/GT650 Ver 2.0 with some goodies from the updated 650 line-up but RE be like,
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20221204wa0003.jpg

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th January 2023, 17:21   #3780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ideally, RE should launch INT/GT650 Ver 2.0 with some goodies from the updated 650 line-up but RE be like
I'm fine even without a clock, ready to adjust with teenaged fuel gauge, rusting chrome, wooden rear suspension & even compromise the pillion comfort, all I ask is just 2 X 18" decent looking alloy wheels; if that's too much to ask, I can pay up as well. But like you said: RE be like
aargee is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed