Team-BHP > Motorbikes


Reply
  Search this Thread
29,380,466 views
Old 23rd October 2023, 22:04   #4081
Senior - BHPian
 
VijayAnand1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Stickn' Around
Posts: 1,024
Thanked: 2,715 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascalangel View Post

The second issue I am facing right now is that the visor has developed a crack near one of the screws. This can be seen in the attached picture.
Attachment 2518914

My guess is that it started as a small crack and grew over the last week. (Its only been 15 days since I bought he bike). I contacted RE regarding the issue since their website mentions 3 years warranty on accessories. However they told me to take it up with the showroom. So I contacted the sales guy and he said he will get back to me once he confirms what can be done with his PDI fellow.

It would be great if someone can throw light on whether this will be covered in the warranty or not? I paid 2150 according to the invoice for this.
According to RE, if parts fall under warranty, they're mostly covered for manufacturing defects. From my experience with the RE Himalayan, and the dreaded visor mounts, they were prone to hairline cracking and progressively expanding during riding. Part of it's partly to be blamed to over-torquing the bolts that secure them. Secondly, the metal to plastic combination, which is the case with most REs. A plastic to plastic mating nullifies some of the vibrations that gets amplified during riding or over-torquing of a given nut/bolt combination to an extent. In short, a plastic to plastic combination spreads the force evenly to prevent cracks as opposed to metal which outright cracks/breaks the part it's mated to if over-torqued and vibrations, which is the case sadly with RE and its visor mounts.

The PDI guy could perhaps gone a bit over-zealous in torquing the bolts in place is anyone's guess. But these cracks are sinister and as I mentioned a hairline crack is all it takes to progressively get worse over time.

Keep pressing them to replace parts if you're under warranty. Good luck,

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th October 2023, 13:08   #4082
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: GA-08
Posts: 172
Thanked: 361 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
According to RE, if parts fall under warranty, they're mostly covered for manufacturing defects. From my experience with the RE Himalayan, and the dreaded visor mounts, they were prone to hairline cracking and progressively expanding during riding. Part of it's partly to be blamed to over-torquing the bolts that secure them. Secondly, the metal to plastic combination, which is the case with most REs. A plastic to plastic mating nullifies some of the vibrations that gets amplified during riding or over-torquing of a given nut/bolt combination to an extent. In short, a plastic to plastic combination spreads the force evenly to prevent cracks as opposed to metal which outright cracks/breaks the part it's mated to if over-torqued and vibrations, which is the case sadly with RE and its visor mounts.

The PDI guy could perhaps gone a bit over-zealous in torquing the bolts in place is anyone's guess. But these cracks are sinister and as I mentioned a hairline crack is all it takes to progressively get worse over time.

Keep pressing them to replace parts if you're under warranty. Good luck,

Cheers!
VJ
I have sent a detailed video to the local Showroom fellow explaining everything. Still waiting to hear from him. Will update once they do. Thanks!
rascalangel is offline  
Old 30th October 2023, 21:52   #4083
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 151
Thanked: 215 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
Hi Interceptor owners,
I am looking to get my hands on an Interceptor as market is flooded with low used examples at mouth watering prices. But, and it is a big but, I have only ridden a 97' Bullet 350 all my life. I would love to get as close to my current relaxed stance as I can (will share a picture later). I have one of the OEM longer handles on my Bullet which allows me to sit quite upright with my elbows by my side. I know exact stance won't be possible, but I would like to get as close as possible as I have short arms and wouldn't like to stretch them too much.
So my main question is, is there a combination of angled risers and handlebars that would allow me to get as close to my current relaxed position. And would there be longer cables and hoses available to allow the handlebar to come that much closer to me. Also, recommendations for a nice touring seat are also welcome.
You can look at the angled risers and foot peg relocators from IndiMotard. I have them on my Inty and it's as close to a Classic 650 as you can get.
RE has some good touring seat options, I prefer the flat bench one, but there's a new that they launched a couple of months back that looks like the seat from an older Bullet.
MadRasTan4986 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2023, 17:28   #4084
BHPian
 
GrandTourer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 415
Thanked: 1,348 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Hi All,

I have a 2021 Interceptor, that is regularly serviced at RE ASS. Off late, I have been facing pickup issues during cold start. Generally, the bike picks up speed amazing in any gear, but recently I noticed that after a cold start, the bike hesitates to pick up even in 1st gear.

The moment I twist the throttle, it bogs down, shows no sign of any power coming through. Then all of a sudden, as the RPM climbs a bit, a surge of power comes in.
This problem goes away after a few minutes of riding.

It's due for service in a few days, so want to hear from the knowledgable folks here on what checks should I ask for when I go in for the service.

Thanks in advance!
GrandTourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 10:33   #4085
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 115 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Does anyone have a hot tip on checking chain alignment?

I had to take my rear wheel off for fixing a puncture. I've put it back on but not fully confident on if it is seated straight in the drop outs, and if the chain sitting straight on the sprockets. I can't see any markings on the swing arm either.

I can see a slight wobble when the rear wheel turns while the bike is on the centre stand, so I don't think it is straight.

Wanted to check if anyone has a helpful hack before trying to buy/DIY a chain alignment tool.

Many thanks
ostrish is offline  
Old 8th November 2023, 11:48   #4086
Senior - BHPian
 
man_of_steel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: BLR/TVM
Posts: 1,306
Thanked: 1,607 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrish View Post
I can see a slight wobble when the rear wheel turns while the bike is on the centre stand, so I don't think it is straight.
Wobbling of the wheel might be due to slight bend in the rims and not due to the alignment. Get the rim trued if its a spoked wheel setup.
man_of_steel is online now  
Old 8th November 2023, 12:48   #4087
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 42
Thanked: 115 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Wobbling of the wheel might be due to slight bend in the rims and not due to the alignment. Get the rim trued if its a spoked wheel setup.
It is definitely the placement of the wheel in the dropouts.

It didn't wobble before I took it off, and my spoke tension is fine. You can play the wheel like a harp *hitting each spoke with a spanner and listening for the note.

Usually in wheels that are not true, the looser spoke will not ring at all or ring at a lower frequency.
ostrish is offline  
Old 9th November 2023, 09:13   #4088
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 3,121
Thanked: 5,381 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandTourer View Post
Hi All,I have a 2021 Interceptor, that is regularly serviced at RE ASS. Off late, I have been facing pickup issues during cold start.
If its easy to reproduce the issue, its best to present the case to the service center and let them figure it out.

Does the bike start in the first go?

Fueling, a bad spark, low fuel quality, a clogged air or fuel filter, low voltage can cause the issues you are experiencing. These issues may not necessarily trip a code either for it to show up on a scanner. You can pull the air filter out yourself and check. 5 minute job. The rest may need some experience and tooling.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th November 2023, 21:14   #4089
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 8
Thanked: 18 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Good evening everyone. This is my first post, so please allow me few mistakes to get it right.

I was a lurker for a long time, finally decided to join on account of buying a used Interceptor 650. I am from West bengal and wanted to own an Interceptor 650 for more than a year. I found one on olx about a month ago, but got time to inspect it today. Seller was an absolute gentleman, he was patient, polite and offered us tea and snacks after our inspection routine. It's ravishing red, we already settled on a price of 1.8L just by looking at olx photos. But felt sad when I saw it physically. Owner bought it, did 14k kms on it, seems to have serviced it properly and has left it uncovered in a parking lot for long time. I made a few observations, however I need other Interceptor owners opinion to proceed any further.

  1. Scratches on brake lever, R-side bar end, R-side muffler and L-side muffler(Reason stated:Narrow entry gate at old house.)
  2. Oxidized engine covers.Rust on indicators, tail and headlight chromed areas.
  3. One scratch and 4 paint chip areas on the tank.
  4. With the bike on center stand,handlebar turns easily to left, but so easily to right.
  5. With front brake engaged and loading the front suspension, heard a "ghat" sound.(Reason stated: Fork service has been done at ASC, but don't know the reason.) I further investigated and found out that the brake rotor is making the noise. It seems to be moving on the carrier plate along its rotational axis.
  6. Bike was left cold on my request. Started on a single press, but doesn't seem to settle on a stable idle rpm throughout the entire inspection period. Electricals worked flawlessly and no warning lights.

I took the test ride. Gear shifts were good, throttle response was okay and no weird sounds from engine. I then took it over some bad patches of roads, the bike seemed unpredictable. It had trouble turning both left and right and required real effort to steer it properly. Brakes were good and worked well in my opinion, no pulsing or shuddering but the rear squealed a little on the first try.

It bike is on stock pirellis, I don't think the wheels have ever been aligned, couple of allen bolts that hold the upper and lower frame together are missing, later found them being used to hold the zana leg guards. The owner admitted to his negligence, said he has no mechanical knowledge and what ever work is done is done by the ASC and a local mechanic.

What worries me most is the brake disc moving on the carrier and the idle hunting done by the engine. The buyer has agreed to pay for the service and parts cost. So, Interceptor or Gt 650 owners, kindly provide some pointers.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20231114_120107.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20231114_120116.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 14th November 2023 at 21:23.
Moose is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 00:29   #4090
BHPian
 
outdoorlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 411
Thanked: 407 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post

I was a lurker for a long time, finally decided to join on account of buying a used Interceptor 650. I am from West bengal and wanted to own an Interceptor 650 for more than a year. I found one on olx about a month ago, but got time to inspect it today.

What worries me most is the brake disc moving on the carrier and the idle hunting done by the engine. The buyer has agreed to pay for the service and parts cost. So, Interceptor or Gt 650 owners, kindly provide some pointers.
Hi Moose, firstly welcome to the forum! Most of the stuff mentioned by you appear to be cosmetic and the brake and engine tuning could always be fixed. It is good that the owner has offered to cover the cost for the service. If you were to look for an Inty in pristine condition, it will easily set you off by another 50k+. So it is a toss-up between getting this done up at this cost point or shelling out anpther 50k for a showroom look.
outdoorlover is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 08:18   #4091
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 8
Thanked: 18 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Hi Moose, firstly welcome to the forum! Most of the stuff mentioned by you appear to be cosmetic and the brake and engine tuning could always be fixed. It is good that the owner has offered to cover the cost for the service. If you were to look for an Inty in pristine condition, it will easily set you off by another 50k+. So it is a toss-up between getting this done up at this cost point or shelling out anpther 50k for a showroom look.
Since I'm on a tight budget, I'm willing to put the time and effort to make it look pretty again. I need an estimate on service cost if I change the:
1. Front brake disc.
2. Steering stem bearings.
3. Maybe the RR unit to fix the irregular idle rpm.
4. Missing frame bolts.

If I could find a spare parts price list for the Interceptor 650, most of my above questions would be answered.

Also, I would like to know why this happens:
1.Front brake disc rattling on it's carrier plate. Maybe emergency brake over a large bump or pot hole and it started rattling? Cause semi floating don't do that, my CBR 250 has one.
2. Irregular idle rpm. Is the RR unit about to let go or the fuel pump?
Moose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2023, 23:55   #4092
BHPian
 
outdoorlover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 411
Thanked: 407 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Since I'm on a tight budget, I'm willing to put the time and effort to make it look pretty again.
Also, I would like to know why this happens:
1.Front brake disc rattling on it's carrier plate. Maybe emergency brake over a large bump or pot hole and it started rattling? Cause semi floating don't do that, my CBR 250 has one.
2. Irregular idle rpm. Is the RR unit about to let go or the fuel pump?
That's a good approach too to make it pretty again. It will reward you with some memorable rides, I'm sure. The best thing to do to get an estimate of the items you have listed would be to speak to your ASS in Kharagpur.

I had a situation where my bike was standing for almost a year while I was out of the country and faced issue of the irregular idle rpm and then the engine stopping, sometimes with a splutter. The root cause was attributed to the fuel standing for too long and the ASS emptied the old fuel, cleaned up the fuel filter and the pump. Works like a charm post that.
outdoorlover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 07:19   #4093
Senior - BHPian
 
sandeepmohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 3,121
Thanked: 5,381 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I then took it over some bad patches of roads, the bike seemed unpredictable. It had trouble turning both left and right and required real effort to steer it properly.
This part may ruin it for you. I'm on edge if those handlebar and muffler scratches suggest the bike has been through a severe front end shunt. If its hard to steer, thats a sign of a damaged fork tube. Could be under inflated tires as well. I can't tell from pictures.

Those zana leg guards are outright ugly and dangerous from the looks of it.

The bike is not in a condition where you pay up and ride away. With this in mind, I'd ask for all issues to be addressed, get a full service done and then negotiate hard on the price. If the seller agrees, great. If not, move on.
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 08:14   #4094
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2023
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 8
Thanked: 18 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This part may ruin it for you. I'm on edge if those handlebar and muffler scratches suggest the bike has been through a severe front end shunt. If its hard to steer, thats a sign of a damaged fork tube. Could be under inflated tires as well. I can't tell from pictures.

Those zana leg guards are outright ugly and dangerous from the looks of it.

The bike is not in a condition where you pay up and ride away. With this in mind, I'd ask for all issues to be addressed, get a full service done and then negotiate hard on the price. If the seller agrees, great. If not, move on.
I'm thoughts exactly. I don't know what happened, but the rattling front disc,forks serviced approx 2 years ago, stiff turning and bike neglected for 2 years are too many mechanical red flags. I have decided to let this go. I appreciate your insight on what may have happened and whole heartedly thank you for saving me for a possible mechanical nightmare.
Moose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2023, 12:59   #4095
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 118
Thanked: 903 Times
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Hello fellow Interceptor owners.

What magnetic tankbags do you use? Please recommend one. I have a 6 year old Viaterra which i need to replace.
bsenroy is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks