Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 24th January 2024, 11:42   #4186
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by V0rtex View Post
I'm certainly getting the extended warranty, could you please take a look at the pictures I've uploaded and give me your feedback on the bike. I'm really skeptical about the 20k odo reading, I hope it won't be an issue.
20k is nothing for a modern engine. Ride it and take a final decision.
boniver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 12:29   #4187
BHPian

Quote:
I'm certainly getting the extended warranty, could you please take a look at the pictures I've uploaded and give me your feedback on the bike. I'm really skeptical about the 20k odo reading, I hope it won't be an issue.
Check the latest insurance IDV and try and not pay too much over this, if at all. The insurance copy should also tell you if there was any claim made (NCB %)

There are now enough options in the market and with the recent 400cc launches by Truimph and Harley, you should be able to drive a good bargain.

The bike looks good in the photos but only you would know the true picture after the TR. If its still under warranty then it should not be tough to verify the mileage. Offer 2L, close with an all cash deal and take the bike off the seller's hands. That way you would have some buffer in case there are some unforeseen repairs.
hothatchaway is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 12:51   #4188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could you please take a look at the pictures and tell me your opinion.
My friend, that bike looks in great shape. Take it for a few kilometers of a spin, check all the RTO documentation and close the deal. The tires are surprisingly in good shape.

The engine cases definitely need a polish job and thats it.

When you take it for a test spin, take it through all the 6 gears. The bike should move effortlessly. The engine should rev evenly in every gear. If you notice the engine spinning and the bike not accelerating at a steady rate, you've got a worn clutch.

Check for scratches on the engine guard and handle bar end weights. Its one indicator to know if the bike has fallen.

Seat cover pattern looks different. Maybe the owner changed it. Do ask.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 24th January 2024 at 12:53.
sandeepmohan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th January 2024, 12:55   #4189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
My friend, that bike looks in great shape. Take it for a few kilometers of a spin, check all the RTO documentation and close the deal. The tires are surprisingly in good shape.
I have no words to thank you Mr. Sandeep, you've been of great help to me. I wish to close the deal as soon as possible, but I just don't have the time to travel to the owner's place as it is quite far away and my schedule has been very tight recently. I hope by the time I can check the bike out, it doesn't get sold.

Regarding the test drive, how exactly should I approach it. Should I ride it like how I usually ride and take it through all the gears, or should I try to keep it in a certain RPM and see how the bike behaves? Also, what exactly should I be looking out for during the test drive, and any other inspection that I can do to ensure that bike is in good condition and accident free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
The bike looks good in the photos but only you would know the true picture after the TR. If its still under warranty then it should not be tough to verify the mileage. Offer 2L, close with an all cash deal and take the bike off the seller's hands. That way you would have some buffer in case there are some unforeseen repairs.
I highly doubt that the owner will take it below 2.35 Lakhs, anyways I'm not interested in the speed 400 nor the X440. I love the Interceptor for it's engine ( twin cylinder). I doubt that I'd get the same vibe from the 400cc singles.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Please quote only a small or relevant part of a post for the ease of members who use mobile devices.

Last edited by graaja : 24th January 2024 at 13:25. Reason: Merging back to back posts. Trimming quoted text
V0rtex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 03:44   #4190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the test drive, how exactly should I approach it. Should I ride it like how I usually ride and take it through all the gears, or should I try to keep it in a certain RPM and see how the bike behaves? Also, what exactly should I be looking out for during the test drive, and any other inspection that I can do to ensure that bike is in good condition and accident free.
I assume you know how to ride a motorcycle well enough that I don't really need to tell you? In any case, here goes:

Ride like you would ride any other motorcycle. Shift gears at the optimum engine speed and see how the bike accelerates. I would not try to bog the bike down to see if it pulls away cleanly. Listen for any abnormal engine noises, noises from the chain (This can come even if its loose or poorly lubricated). Check if the brakes have bite, how much play in the levers (Both can be corrected if there are issues). Check for any unusual steering wobble. Play in the throttle, clutch cables.

You can ask the owner if the valves have been adjusted. Also known as valve clearance. A test ride may not really show an issue for this. An unadjusted rocker arm will throw an issue only when the engine is hot. You may hear it missing during idle and struggling to start when hot. Basically there is no gap between the rocker arm and valve due to heat expansion. If the owner sounds clueless about this, its safe to assume its not been done. This will come at your cost then, if you need to do it.

Check all lights, indicators are operational.

Ride the bike up a reasonable speed of up to 70, if the road permits. Don't rev the nuts of it. You need to remember the bike isn't yours, yet. If something happens, you might be in trouble.

All of the above are check points. Some imperfections will be there and not neccessarily deal breakers. Its a used bike. You can't expect it to respond like a brand new one. As long as the issues are relatively minor, you're all good.

I would not rule out the bike if a few bulbs are blown or the chain is loose. Those can be sorted. However, factor this in your final price.

Why don't you go to a Royal Enfield showroom and take an Interceptor for a spin? That will give you an idea of what to expect. Sometimes the test bikes can be in bad shape but you'll atleast get a yard stick for comparison when you ride a used bike.

You must negotiate. Check the average cost of this model in your region (Don't compare to other cities). Check how old the listing is. If the bikes been sitting there unsold, you may have an upper hand.

When you spend this sort of money, you need to make time for an inspection. 2.3 lacs is not pocket change that you trust someone blind.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th January 2024 at 03:47.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th January 2024, 23:49   #4191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbosailor View Post

Below is his Beast after above works done.

That's a sick look, great taste by the way.
adrift@life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2024, 07:50   #4192
BHPian

Last day I went to the showroom to inquire about the new Interceptor 650. Multiple showrooms have quoted my different prices. The variant here is the insurance, I'm aware that I can take the insurance from outside. If one were to get insurance from another company, what are some things to look out for. Should I keep my IDV value as high as possible ( on road price)? How about the addons like engine protection, road side assistance and invoice price cover?
Old 26th January 2024, 19:05   #4193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ostrish View Post
AEW Silent Baffles

I had installed the AEW TE102 pipes mainly for the looks. The stock pipes are very bottle gourd and I wanted more of a ridge gourd. (there are more macho descriptions like rocket launcher etc. but I think interceptor owners are mostly vegetable market type people so this analogy is more appropriate)

Seeing that AEW offered more silent baffles, I was happy to try them as I am always worried about cops hearing the custom exhausts.

Silent baffle (L) vs stock baffle (R)
Attachment 2509792

I also tested them, ^here in the background you can see a field recorder on a tripod, meant to simulate a 5'10" policeman standing 6 feet away. Yet to verify if this is truly the median height of Bangalore policemen.

Some highly scientific data of sound at idling RPM. In the screenshot of the DAW, you can see that the waveforms on top (old baffles) have a larger amplitude that wave forms below (new baffle)

Attachment 2509793

Here's a comparison of the EQ graphs. I think the mids and highs are all engine clatter and most of the low freq in this chart is from the exhaust. This is again at idle.

Attachment 2509794
  1. So, does the new baffle reduce sound? Yes
  2. Is the difference at idle audible? Yes, but only if you compare them back to back. So you will not get caught if police sir has highly trained ears.
  3. Is the difference at high rpm audible? This is to be seen. My tests were in the basement which is not an ideal place to test for loudness (or to rev one's bike).
Generally comparing loudness academically is a difficult problem for laypeople and audio engineers both. So next report will be based on "feel" on the open road.
I own a 2019 Interceptor that has done 22k, most of them with aew 201 with baffles on.

My observation is that once they warm up, the header pipe CAT opens ups a bit and gets louder.
So do test the idle volume after a few KM run.

Also, under load, say acceleration or climbing a slope, the sound becomes sharper and louder. Would love to see the measurements on the go.
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2024, 12:32   #4194
BHPian

Quote:
Last day I went to the showroom to inquire about the new Interceptor 650. Multiple showrooms have quoted my different prices. The variant here is the insurance, I'm aware that I can take the insurance from outside. If one were to get insurance from another company, what are some things to look out for. Should I keep my IDV value as high as possible ( on road price)? How about the addons like engine protection, road side assistance and invoice price cover?
Please follow IDV as per industry standards, ie (IIRC) 1st year 95% of ex-showroom price. It is detrimental to over-value (or under-value for that matter) your vehicle on your insurance document, especially in the days of RTI. Please look-up and read-up for yourself to understand why if you are curious, else just stick with the standard.

Consider RTI, definitely take Zero Depreciation and Engine Protector. RSA from your insurance company as a redundancy over and above OEM RSA (which is a no-brainer IMO) can also be considered if not too expensive.

I have personally taken RTI for my GT because of the low price, even though I don't feel the need for RTI on a bike of this price.

Lastly, in my experience, RE dealers give pretty competitive insurance quotes, with better coverage especially as the vehicle ages. Consider whether the slight price difference between dealer and "outside" insurance is worth the effort for you.

Last edited by Mu009 : 27th January 2024 at 12:58.
Mu009 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 10:28   #4195

Changed over to Vredestein Centauro ST on my 2021 Interceptor 650

My CEAT rear tire started to bald at around 13,800kms and I was on the lookout for a new set of boots, happy to note that not a single puncture was encountered on this set of tires, barring a few small metal bits that got lodged in at the fag end of its life (did not touch the tube).

Came across many replies on this thread suggesting to contact Fixwell Motors at JC Road for tires and alloys. Gave a ring to Fixwell Motors and enquired about the pricing for just the tires, and they quoted 8.9k for both front and rear. Went to JC Road and got the tires back home, had them fitted at a FNG nearby. Total wallet damage, including the installation of the tires, came to roughly 11k, which is a great deal when considering a few dealers sell the rear tire alone for 9k .
Alloys were on my list, but the spokes are just too lovely to look at
Some beauty shots of the installation process.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_7281.png
Rear tire P.S Wide-angle shot, hence distortion

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_7282.png
Refittment

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_7284.png
Beauty Shot
Varun Ramesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 12:33   #4196
BHPian

A few days ago I went to the RE showroom to enquire about the Interceptor 650. I asked the sales executive about the extended warranty. I wanted to know what things are covered in it, and what not. I also told him that I'm looking for used bikes as well, and if I get one I will get the warranty extended.

Right as I said that, he cautioned me against getting a used bike. I wasn't surprised as he's a salesman. He said that you can never know how a used bike was used. Whether the previous owner had installed a slip on exhaust and ruined the bike.
I asked him how does installing a slip on exhaust ruin the bike. Most of the 650s I have seen are having Red Rooster or some other performance exhaust installed in it. He told me that installing a performance exhaust will vary the engine RPM and eventually interfere with the normal working of the engine, and cause issues in the future and that the engine will undergo more wear tear as it will increase the fuel to air ratio mixture ratio, decrease in mileage, increase in rusting due to excessive heating etc... He also told me that installing an exhaust will completely void the warranty provided by the manufacture. I call this complete non-sense. A large portion of people with bikes that have twins, triples and 4 cylinders get an exhaust as soon as the run in period is over. Please share your thoughts on this.
V0rtex is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 13:55   #4197
BHPian

Quote:
He also told me that installing an exhaust will completely void the warranty provided by the manufacture. I call this complete non-sense. A large portion of people with bikes that have twins, triples and 4 cylinders get an exhaust as soon as the run in period is over. Please share your thoughts on this.
As you said he is just a salesman. He obviously wants you to buy a new bike. He is giving you this story as a result.
I have aftermarket exhausts. My showroom has never had a problem with the exhaust.
Cheers
Rajeevsulu
Old 28th January 2024, 14:10   #4198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeevsulu View Post
As you said he is just a salesman. He obviously wants you to buy a new bike. He is giving you this story as a result.
I have aftermarket exhausts. My showroom has never had a problem with the exhaust.
Cheers
Rajeevsulu
Well he did mention that if they service center sees your bike with an aftermarket exhaust that they will cut the warranty.
Old 28th January 2024, 14:14   #4199
BHPian

I have done 3 services after the exhaust install. I asked them specifically about the exhaust. They have no problems. They have no issues with other oils if they are fitting into recommended specifications. Tell him to give it in writing. See his response.
Cheers
rajeevsulu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 14:25   #4200
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varun Ramesh View Post

Changed over to Vredestein Centauro ST on my 2021 Interceptor 650

My CEAT rear tire started to bald at around 13,800kms and I was on the lookout for a new set of boots, happy to note that not a single puncture was encountered on this set of tires, barring a few small metal bits that got lodged in at the fag end of its life
Good choice on going for Centauro tires. I understand the feeling about the spokes. That is the reason I didn't go for the alloys.
The stocks lasted about the same for me, 13,500 kms. No flats whatsoever but the back was squirming all over.
Cheers
Rajeevsulu
I humbly request the admins to merge these threads which I inadvertently posted.
Cheers

Last edited by rajeevsulu : 28th January 2024 at 14:45.

Most Viewed