Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2019, 21:15   #676
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Had the first puncture on the Int 650: front wheel
Thankfully it happened near home.
Called a nearby garage fellow and he checked for any visible signs of sharp objects on the tyre, there were none, we removed the tyre and checked the tube On closer inspection it was found that the puncture was on the inner side (the side that faces the rim) right on the joint of the tube and not on the side that faces the tyre/road. we checked the rim for any abnormalities, all was fine till we checked the size of the tube provided

The Pirelli tyre size is 100/90 18, whereas the tube provided is of Ceat which is 3'00 18. Mind you the air pressure was checked that morning and was at the recommended 32 psi
A little research online threw the following result for Ceat 3'00 18 tube
Vehicle Compatibility: Hero Glamour-125, Passion / Mahindra Centuro, Pantero / Suzuki Slingshot, Hayate / TVS Star City, Star Sport / Yamaha YBR

Why couldn't RE provide a tube made for the tyre? (Agreed that it is a TL tyre and normally ships without a tube), but there are so many tube options available in 100/90 18 size. The Ceat tube provided is a size smaller and probably cannot hold the pressure / weight / speed.
Brother, you have uncovered a completely new issue. Thank you for sharing this. Might help everyone as I am sure quite a few punctures must have taken place
thumpmeister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2019, 21:36   #677
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpmeister View Post
Brother, you have uncovered a completely new issue. Thank you for sharing this. Might help everyone as I am sure quite a few punctures must have taken place
Do double check if it's really an issue because TL 100/90 TL is identical to 3.00 Tubed.

I know because my CT100B is running 80/100 instead of the stock 2.75 as I'm using a TL tire with a tube.
Old 14th April 2019, 09:56   #678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Why couldn't RE provide a tube made for the tyre? (Agreed that it is a TL tyre and normally ships without a tube), but there are so many tube options available in 100/90 18 size. The Ceat tube provided is a size smaller and probably cannot hold the pressure / weight / speed.
This is just criminally bad! You can't do this on a 3L bike! First they put in tubed tyres, and then don't even have the decency to appropriate sized tubes? Not cool, RE, not cool
Old 14th April 2019, 12:24   #679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
I'm really curious. What did you book?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post
I am betting on the Ninja 650! Odds anyone?
Sorry to disappoint ! It's not the Ninja but another jap.
I fell for a used Yamaha R 3 2018 abs version .
_raviShankar_ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th April 2019, 21:16   #680
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post
The RE Twins cater to a completely different market from the Jawas, which would more accurately be pitted against the 350s. There's no competition from Jawa for the Twins.

As an aside, I never found the new Jawas to be very appealing. With their delayed deliveries and IMO slightly exorbitant pricing, they don't seem much value for money and may not provide put too much of a dent in Bullet sales. I'll be sticking with my original Jawa 353.
I agree. Mahindra/ Classic Legends have been caught on the wrong foot, maybe due to the unexpected response. And the Royal Enfield twins do cater for a totally different segment. What Jawa is rightly targeting is the bread and butter model of Royal Enfield i.e. the 350 Classic & I feel that they have a decent chance at cracking it with a well put together, quality product in the same segment.

Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 09:49   #681
Senior - BHPian

I have booked a Baker Express on the 29th of Dec from Teknic motors, HSR layout Bangalore. Its been close to 3.5 months after the booking and not a single piece of communication from the dealer or RE in between. At the booking time, i was told it would take about 3 months for delivery. I am in no great hurry to get my bike, but just out of disappointment, thought to give the dealer a call to know on my status. My GOD! Its almost impossible to get them on phone. All phones are either switched off, or no one picks up, including mobile numbers. The phone number of the sales guy who did my booking says 'number no more valid'. Eventually after hours of trying, finally managed to get someone on phone, who rudely asked my my colour choice and on hearing baker express, said it could take upto another 2 months and if i was not happy, i could cancel my booking.

A thoroughly disappointing experience. I am not desperate to get the delivery, but as a company, least they can do is keep their buyers informed about delays or whatsoever. What a pathetic dealership management with hopeless attitude. When i had bought my first RE the machismo 350, there were only 2 dealers in Bangalore, and Re was close to shutting down, still the experience was better. when i bought my 2nd RE, the classic 500, i was one of the first few to get the delivery, and the overall experience was ok if not great. They did delay then but compensated with a complementary up-swept silencer. Also kept us informed on the delays and mailed us stuff like RE calenders etc in between to keep the relation going.

With so many sales and multiple dealers in town now, the overall experience should have improved a lot but on the contrary, its on a decline. Am wondering whether to stick to this dealer or is there any process of shifting my booking from Teknik HSR to Brand store, Jaynagar.
Old 15th April 2019, 10:03   #682
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
With so many sales and multiple dealers in town now, the overall experience should have improved a lot but on the contrary, its on a decline. Am wondering whether to stick to this dealer or is there any process of shifting my booking from Teknik HSR to Brand store, Jaynagar.
Though Teknik isnt the most popular Royal Enfield showroom in Bangalore, this experience is quite appalling to say the least. My suggestion is to first escalate it via email to Royal Enfield with your phone number in it. My recent online store experience notwithstanding, I have found RE very responsive to emails and it genuinely does get escalated within their system with senior people reaching out over the phone and emails. Worst case, if that doesnt have the intended result, I suggest you take your business to the brand store at Jayanagar. I had purchased my GT 535 from them and the experience was good. They have a mini showroom which is attached to their large company service centre opposite Madiwala lake. They are essentially an extension of the brand store. You should be able to make your booking there as well.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 10:38   #683
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[FONT=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][COLOR=black]Though Teknik isnt the most popular Royal Enfield showroom in Bangalore, this experience is quite appalling to say the least. My suggestion is to first escalate it via email to Royal Enfield with your phone number in it. My recent online store experience notwithstanding, I have found RE very responsive to emails and it genuinely does get escalated within their system with senior people reaching out over the phone and emails.[/COLOR][/FONT]
This is my first experience with Teknik mainly due to the fact that i have moved house and teknik HSR is closest now to my place. They were sweet during the booking period but not a single call, mail, message, post booking. Not attending to calls when we try and reach to then and throw attitude if we r lucky to get through. Got to pro-actively keep buyers informed if the delay is beyond the approximate timeline give.

Post that call, i also wrote a mail to RE and got the standard reply. pasting as it is below:
Greetings from Royal Enfield!!!
At the outset, we appreciate your interest for Royal Enfield Twins.We would like to inform you that there has been an unexpected level of demand for the Interceptor 650/Continental GT 650 which we are now trying our best to meet however this may cause a delay in the delivery of your Interceptor 650/Continental GT 650 by a certain period. You may get the delivery of your motorcycle between 08th to 14th June 2019. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused due to delay.

After my two RE motorcycle experiences in the past, i had decided never to get back to that brand again. With the interceptor test ride, and the price point its launched at, i thought to give them another try. Now wondering if its the right one..
Old 15th April 2019, 13:24   #684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
This is my first experience with Teknik mainly due to the fact that i have moved house and teknik HSR is closest now to my place. They were sweet during the booking period but not a single call, mail, message, post booking. Not attending to calls when we try and reach to then and throw attitude if we r lucky to get through. Got to pro-actively keep buyers informed if the delay is beyond the approximate timeline give.

Post that call, i also wrote a mail to RE and got the standard reply. pasting as it is below:
Greetings from Royal Enfield!!!
At the outset, we appreciate your interest for Royal Enfield Twins.We would like to inform you that there has been an unexpected level of demand for the Interceptor 650/Continental GT 650 which we are now trying our best to meet however this may cause a delay in the delivery of your Interceptor 650/Continental GT 650 by a certain period. You may get the delivery of your motorcycle between 08th to 14th June 2019. We sincerely regret the inconvenience caused due to delay.

After my two RE motorcycle experiences in the past, i had decided never to get back to that brand again. With the interceptor test ride, and the price point its launched at, i thought to give them another try. Now wondering if its the right one..
This seems to be quiet a contrast. I had booked mine in early Jan and got the bike in March, (though i had to change the color from baker express to orange crush).

I did a 200 KM ride and then rode my Dominar 400 back home so that i could atleast get some mileage before i came to the desert for my 4 week deployment.

My observations.
1. Constant tingles on the handlebar, fingers get them for 10-15 minutes after dismounting
2. Nowhere as confidence inspiring as the Dominar (due to suspension set up may be)
3. Rear suspension on factory setting is way too soft and bottoms out
4. The so called tall windscreen is ornamental and absolutely no wind protection whatsoever
5. Mirrors have too much vertical movement at highway speeds and highway surface
6. The clutch bite point changes as the engine heats up in city conditions

I am looking to add atleast 1 inch of travel on both the front and rear end have been speaking to a TEC parts for it. Will keep all posted.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-int650parts.png  

Last edited by adityasiera : 15th April 2019 at 13:25.
adityasiera is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 15:05   #685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityasiera View Post

My observations.
1. Constant tingles on the handlebar, fingers get them for 10-15 minutes after dismounting
This is not good at all. Its very very bad for your hands. Thanks for reverting with this important yet overlooked point.
Old 15th April 2019, 15:32   #686
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This is not good at all. Its very very bad for your hands. Thanks for reverting with this important yet overlooked point.
Any idea what is the dia of the Handle Bar on 650 Twins - 1" or 0.75"?

Could it be the thinner pipe used on the handle causing this vibration - whatever this should've been addressed at the design stage itself.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2019, 15:36   #687
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Any idea what is the dia of the Handle Bar on 650 Twins - 1" or 0.75"?

Could it be the thinner pipe used on the handle causing this vibration - whatever this should've been addressed at the design stage itself.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
I think it's .75 inch. The hard grips and the awkward texture on them actually compound the problem. A switch to na softer grip from the TB may help.
Old 15th April 2019, 21:48   #688
BHPian

Guys, Finally got the first service for my CGT 650 done today. Paid around Rs. 2600 so no surprises here. Although the ride after the service felt very strange. There used to be a hissing sound from the front wheel as if the brakes were fouling with something and now the noise has gone, but the wheel as well as handle bar feel is somehow very strange. It felt twice, in the short ride i took after the service, as if the front tyre was punctured. Now this may be just in my mind, but any suggestions to what might be wrong here.
Further, after a small ride of about 4/5 km’s when i came back and touched the headlight, it felt extremely hot. By hot, I really mean unusually hot. Anyone else with the same experience with the headlight.
Old 15th April 2019, 22:29   #689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I did a 200 KM ride and then rode my Dominar 400 back home so that i could atleast get some mileage before i came to the desert for my 4 week deployment.

My observations.
This is quite unusual for the 650 twins. I own a GT 535 which has much more vibes errr I mean character as compared to the 650 twins and even on the GT 535, I havent faced finger tingling 10 - 15 minutes after dismounting. Definitely its something to get checked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Although the ride after the service felt very strange. There used to be a hissing sound from the front wheel as if the brakes were fouling with something and now the noise has gone, but the wheel as well as handle bar feel is somehow very strange. It felt twice, in the short ride i took after the service, as if the front tyre was punctured. Now this may be just in my mind, but any suggestions to what might be wrong here.
There seem to be 2 issues - one the front brake might have been slightly rubbing against the disc leading to the hissing sound (which got fixed during the service) and two, it looks like the front tire pressure has gone for a toss.
Old 16th April 2019, 11:37   #690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
Guys, Finally got the first service for my CGT 650 done today. Paid around Rs. 2600 so no surprises here. Although the ride after the service felt very strange. There used to be a hissing sound from the front wheel as if the brakes were fouling with something and now the noise has gone, but the wheel as well as handle bar feel is somehow very strange. It felt twice, in the short ride i took after the service, as if the front tyre was punctured. Now this may be just in my mind, but any suggestions to what might be wrong here.
Further, after a small ride of about 4/5 km’s when i came back and touched the headlight, it felt extremely hot. By hot, I really mean unusually hot. Anyone else with the same experience with the headlight.
It's a halogen bulb that stays on all the time. I experienced the same..

Most Viewed