Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2018, 21:47   #61
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

That's a superb review there buddy!

And reading this, off I went today to test ride the Interceptor 650. Rode the Baron to the RE showroom in Bommasandra and there were no other customers there except for me. Spoke to the sales fellow and got an Interceptor for a test ride. Did a short ride and liked the bike a lot. Coming from a HD the torque on the Interceptor is more sedate and smooth. With a sudden twist of the throttle, the Baron surges ahead, but on the RE there was no sudden surge. Didn't feel the weight of the bike one bit, neither while riding nor in slow moving traffic. It almost felt like I was riding my Gixxer 155. Since I'm just 5.5, I couldn't plant both my feet on the ground though. The gears are exceptionally smooth. Very smooth indeed. Anyway, left my details with the showroom folks and they were open for an exchange offer as well. Let's see how things pan out.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 07:25   #62
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopoe View Post
BTW, I was wondering how good or usable you found the the tank filler cap? I believe that the headlight is an 'always on' type (judging from lack of any switch for it). Can you confirm?
Headlamps are always on - all the motorcycles have to follow this mandatorily now. I didn't get any pictures of the tank filler cap, but they are not the modern convenient type. Will get back to you with the details.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhileshmdp View Post
Was just wondering if they would result in cannibalization of the 500 single cylinder line up as I find them much more vfm, any thoughts?
Absolutely. Don't see the 500s selling now - but then, RE will be happier alright - if the 650s can get them good numbers instead. And with BS6 coming in soon, the rumour is that the 350 lineup will get a thorough refresh as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Next time, please call me for such review where i can hold the flash for photos and get to ride a bit as well.
Done nasirkaka. Let's start with the 310GS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by damanbir View Post
Need advice on what I have in mind:
1. The Exhausts:
2. Head Lights:
3. AUX Lights:
4. Indicators:
Here's what I would do -
1. Stick to stock exhaust till S&S is made available - rumour is that it will be priced well. Also, its not like the motorcycles sounds bad without it - you'll not get tired of the stock exhaust note that soon.
2. Head lights - Agree with that feeling - looks outdated for me too, but you might need to keep it till the warranty period expires atleast - I would play it a bit safe on a brand new RE.
3. Aux Lights - Branded ones costs upwards of 20k all the way till 60k to 70k. BUT, I would go for this Chinese brand which costs a fraction of that price, and is giving every branded item a run for their money -
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro..._2307697.pic_0
Much cheaper options are available on Ali Express too, but this one is tried and tested.
4. Indicators - Should be an easy mod. Might be worth waiting a couple of months - because the aftermarket accessories scene will surely be nice considering the volumes the bike seems to be getting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Which is the widest part of the bike south of the handlebars - footpegs or silencers?
Exhaust shield - how likely is one (on the shorter side) likely to barbeque the inside of ones ankles?
Tough call regarding the widest part.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20181115_112843.jpg
Rider wont burn his ankles (its narrow at that part), but it's quite easy for the pillion if he/she is not very careful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snehal Sekhar View Post
Anyway, left my details with the showroom folks and they were open for an exchange offer as well. Let's see how things pan out.
Exchanging a Harley Davidson for a Royal Enfield. Sid Lal should take note - this would be some moment of achievement for RE if the sale goes through.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 11:54   #63
BHPian

Finally, test rides in Chennai started yesterday evening. I received the call form Adyar showroom and confirmed my test ride time. The test ride was given on the 4th Avenue road located behind the RE showroom. The road is a long and wide 1km straight with almost no traffic. I rode the twins multiple times back to back and here are my observations.
  • The GT had significantly less vibrations on the handlebars throughout the rev range. Probably thanks to the clip-ons.
  • The GT felt more engaging and showed more enthusiasm and control during acceleration and braking hard.
  • For some reason I felt the GT's engine and exhaust note sounded better during the test ride and as well as in the showroom display bikes. No, it was not because of the riding position.
  • Loved the GT's riding position. No where as aggressive as the RC's or R15 or even the old GT 535 and still gives the sporty riding stance.
  • Gear shifts were precise and smooth, felt like any other Japanese commuter motorcycle.
  • Slipper clutch does its job well, the rev matching is spot on and there is no drama whatsoever in all the times I tried.
  • The bike pulls nicely in every gear. Feels similar to the KTM 390 but the pull starts significantly earlier in the Twins.
  • Managed to hit 80kmph in first gear just before the redline. The motor feels so eager to hit the redline.
  • I could feel the heat from the engine but a proper test ride in traffic will give a better understanding.

Overall, between the twins, I liked the GT for the engaging and oneness feel it gives you along with that comfortable yet sporty riding position. GT is a lovely motorcycle to ride. But I like the Interceptor's classic looks even more and so I will stick on to my Silver Interceptor booking.
Torino is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 12:18   #64
BHPian

Booked - Royal Enfield Interceptor
Dealer - Kolkata Ride Zone, Chinar Park
Colour - Silver
Booking amount - Rs 5000/- (used my debit card)
On road price - Shall come to know when the vehicle is allotted
Accessories thought of - Crash Guard

Showroom and Test Drive experience

07th December 2018, drove down to the Chinar Park showroom. The showroom looked nice, neat, clean and well organized. Asked the SA for the test drive of the Interceptor, for which he requested me to be seated as the bike was out for a test drive.

In the mean time, he took a copy of my DL, brought a brochure and we started discussing colour options. On looking at the brochure, i fell for the black and mentioned the same. Just then, his colleague mentioned that the bike is back, and I could proceed for the TD. I must have waited for about 5 mins.

The TD bike was the Silver Spectre, which looked much better than black, so tilted towards silver.

Kindly keep the following in mind before I proceed

1. I shall be riding a 4 stroker for the first time
2. I shall be riding a bike after 18 years
3. 18 years ago I owned a Kawasaki Bajaj KB100 RTZ Delta, which i rode for 8 years
4. I have ridden the RX 100 and RD 350 couple of times (28 years ago)
5. I am 6 feet 1 and a half inch tall and press the weighing scale at 120 kgs
6. First time riding a bike with push button start and ABS

The SA provided me a helmet and also a shower cap (nice gesture). The helmet was comfortable, though without a chin guard. The clasp clicked well in place and I made sure I adjusted the straps for a snug fit.

The TD bike had 1307 kms on the clock. The SA mentioned the gear shift pattern ie one down rest up. I asked if the clutch had to be kept depressed when hitting the starter button, he replied - not required.

I saddled the beast - had a look at the twin information pods. Turned the key, loved the needles swing. Unfortunately the information on the pods looked plain jan, more on that later.

I fired the beast. Let it idle for some time - the feeling was as if one is on his / her first date and both are really apprehensive as what to expect - hence the awkward silence. Twisted my wrist - wow the sound impressed. Since i have never ridden the Bullet (just heard its beating sound), ofcourse the difference in exhaust sound is like cheese and chalk.

Slotted 1st, nice positive engagement. Very light clutch, which I released and off we went. Rode towards Rajarhat and then towards Eco Park. Loved the torque. Did not exceed 60 kmph as Kolkata Police hate the opportunity to dish out an overspeeding chalaan.

The road was a mix of bad stretches, speed breakers and smooth stretches. Managed to stall the bike once, as I could not access which gear I was on after I crossed the speed breaker - gear position indicator is definitely required, hope Siddartha Lal and RE are listening!!

The mirrors - with my built, no matter how much I adjusted them, I just could use 15% of the mirror area, the rest being blocked by my arms / shoulder. Please suggest a remedy for this.

The seat - felt extremely soft. I am pretty sure, 6 months down the line, I shall feel as if I am sitting on the metal frame. Suggest remedy please.

The suspension - Felt extremely hard. Maybe the rear suspension was set on the hardest setting or maybe the tyres were over inflated I do not know, but I could feel as if the suspension was dead.

The distance of TD 12 kms.

Torque - Amazing amount available at low rpms, really impressive.

When I reached the showroom, the SA was waiting outside. He asked me, Sir, how is the bike - I said, I shall book it!!

Once back inside the showroom, I was requested to give a feed back on a questionnaire on the SA's phone. I mentioned three dislikes

HARD SUSPENSION
TOO SOFT SEAT
NO GEAR POSITION INDICATOR

Ensured that the booking amount is fully refundable in case I change my mind.

Also, one day, need to visit them again, after sun set to check the head light beam (which is very important for me - this could be a deal breaker - please suggest good powerful aux lamps)

The RE twins have been dissected by practically all the automobile buffs, my review is just a lay man's personal experience.

Hope these lines add value to prospective Interceptor buyers.
ALTIMAed is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 12:30   #65
BHPian

I just got a call from Gurgaon Royal Enfield for feedback or arranging a call from the nearby dealer. He said he read my comments on some social media platform and gave a feedback call.

3 years 40,000 kms warranty on bikes and such polite calls. This is totally another level of RE Customer care service that I have experienced in the last 19 years of owning RE's. I am impressed !
The Great is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 19:29   #66
BHPian

@CrazyDriver - excellent ride report. Actually i left my workplace on Thursday evening, deciding to go to RE showroom to book the Ravishing Red Int 650. Though not having yet taken the test ride. As is my practice on my travel back to home for past few days, I logged onto the TBHP RE twins thread which has been now closed by mods to realise that a new RE twins ridden thread has been opened up.

I was surprised to see that Ridden report of RE twins has been posted. Though my eyes were reading the thread as Ridden report, my mind was telling me that its an official TBHP review like the official Dominar review. Since the report was so detailed and engrossing, by the time I reached home which is a 1 hour 15 mins commute i had barely finished reading the 1st page. As a result, I just postponed my decision to book on that day and now after such an excellent report, I will be mostly hopefully booking the Ravishing Red Interceptor tomorrow after the test ride.
thumpmeister is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 20:16   #67
Senior - BHPian

A lazy Saturday evening, and just was wondering what modifications I would possibly do once my Interceptor arrives sometime next year... A crude MS Paint job to see how it might turn out. I quite like it...

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-interceptor-mod.jpg
aravind.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 00:34   #68
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
The road was a mix of bad stretches, speed breakers and smooth stretches. Managed to stall the bike once, as I could not access which gear I was on after I crossed the speed breaker - gear position indicator is definitely required, hope Siddartha Lal and RE are listening!!
I think the best practice on a motorcycle is to shift down gears as you slow down, and the slipper clutch + smooth gearshift combination allows you to come down gears fast when braking.

However, yes - a gear indicator would have been nice. I tend to get this feeling on the highways that I'm not in top gear and tend to hunt for an nonexistent top gear - and this happens to me on the Versys often. Oh yeah - mine doesn't get a gear indicator too.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 07:57   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
However, yes - a gear indicator would have been nice. I tend to get this feeling on the highways that I'm not in top gear and tend to hunt for an nonexistent top gear - and this happens to me on the Versys often. Oh yeah - mine doesn't get a gear indicator too.
As a fellow Versys owner, I agree on the gears feeling short. Even though my bike has a gear indicator, in 6th I always feel there should be a gear more. Is it like this in the Enfield too?
Old 9th December 2018, 08:09   #70
BHPian

Quote:
I think the best practice on a motorcycle is to shift down gears as you slow down, and the slipper clutch + smooth gearshift combination allows you to come down gears fast when braking.

Initially I too had the same problem of looking for an non-existent top gear with Ninja 650. Later I got used to it by simply looking at the rpm needle+speed and applying a simple mental calculation. For example, I had a rough figure like this -
22kmph/1000rpm in 6th gear; 19kmph/1000rpm in 5th gear, etc.. So I could know the current gear level based on the rpm + speed combination
Of course, it took some time to get used to this method. I got used to it so much that I keep applying this method even now on my new bike (though it has the gear indicator
shan_ned is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 08:18   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fully agree. On my Bonnie too, I sometimes search for the non-existent 6th gear. Also, sometime after speed-breakers, it would be nice to know if the bike is on 2nd or 3rd. Yes, often miss a gear position indicator.
On a different note, I hope the RE twins is able to build a bond with their owners more than being just a piece of machine. This is something the Bonnie has been able to do with me. Some sort of connect, an ability to bring a smile when we just meet everyday, the itch to take it out for even a 5 minute spin. She misses out on lot of goodies like ABS, slip assist clutch and what not, but will I disown her, never. The RE Interceptor looks so much like her, so I guess they should also be able to bring in this connect to their owners.
All the best RE, wonderful effort and all the best.
dinu2506 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 12:11   #72
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Gear Indicator is a critical feature for a middle age guy like me. (Read someone renewing biking after 20+ years).

With even Bikes in the 1-1.4L range from Suzuki having a gear indicator it surely is not an expensive feature and should have been there. Trying to figure out going up or down gears after a speed bump or searching for a Non existent upper gear suits neither the RE 650 twins not the Versys. With the Versys at least it is an optional feature and has now been made standard (at least is on the Vulcan).
Old 9th December 2018, 13:06   #73
Team-BHP Support

Adding one pic from the action cam that didn't make it to Page 1 -

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20181209_123954_451.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirbusCapt View Post
Is it like this in the Enfield too?
I think it would be. Even the 6th gear doesn't feel all that tall - with 100 coming up at around 4500rpm and 120 coming up at around 5300rpm - and this is where the engine makes the peak torque, so I think you will sometimes feel like hunting for another gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan_ned View Post
I got used to it so much that I keep applying this method even now on my new bike (though it has the gear indicator
Even I used to do this for almost two years now - but recently went ahead and ordered an aftermarket gearshift indicator. Will fit it on the Versys during the next service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
On a different note, I hope the RE twins is able to build a bond with their owners more than being just a piece of machine. This is something the Bonnie has been able to do with me.
Not only bonnie - I think almost all Triumphs have that nature, compared to the Japanese bikes. RE has been known for that too (However, not all for the right reasons, if I may add). Need to see if Interceptor makes that connect with the owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
has now been made standard (at least is on the Vulcan).
Yes, its standard on the Versys since last year as well.

Speaking of Vulcan - what do you think of it in the current scenario with the 650 twins in the picture. Earlier - it was the only real alternative to an entry level Harley Davidson.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th December 2018 at 13:12.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 13:42   #74
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Speaking of Vulcan - what do you think of it in the current scenario with the 650 twins in the picture. Earlier - it was the only real alternative to an entry level Harley Davidson.
I haven't done a test ride of the RE 650 twins.

The Vulcan is a modern, reliable, STABLE and comfortable cruiser with a low ground clearance without exhaust modifications.

So if one wants a 650cc twin CRUISER, Vulcan is the ONLY option.

But if one wants a 650 twin there are many options.

Street 750 is not safe enough and rough and though low seated it is a mid position bike. The RE 650 kills it but for brand value and exhaust note. Plus what brand image the cheapest harley exudes is debatable.

Street Rod 750 is properly modern and has character but one seats like on the Toilet - actually worse than. ( Knees up). But fine for rides upto 1hr. The foot pegs are neither rear nor forward just UP. It is the safest harley below 12L and has good ground clearance. It looks good, but one needs a good flexible body to ride it long.

The Versys is the Compact SUV. (Like Hyundai Creta) Handles bad roads, STABLE, modern but not for new or short riders.

I equate short ride height with stability (if not too short). Vulcan offers this but looses out on second front disk and ride height (suspension comfort) vs the versys.

But if budget is not an issue between the RE 650 and Vulcan the Vulcan is much better. It has the gear position indicator well integrated and is very stable. I can guess what straight line stability issues the RE 650 might have from the reviews. The Vulcan also has fatter tyres. (Me likee). Lava Orange looks good. But you can't really take it touring without modifications.

I have a bit off a balance issue with height (vertigo types) I don't like riding on flyover and prefer a shorter bike. With instrumentation around me. Versys provides the closeted feeling and that is good. As does the Suzuki VS and Kawasaki Vulcan S but the RE twins don't provide this purely from sitting and not riding experience.

Last edited by ACM : 9th December 2018 at 13:55.
ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 13:55   #75
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Street 750 is not safe enough and rough and though low seated it is a mid position bike. The RE 650 kills it but for brand value and exhaust note. Plus what brand image the cheapest harley exudes is debatable.
True. And specially if they start advertising like this all of a sudden. Shows a bit of panic IMO -

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20181209wa0025.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed