Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2019, 12:24   #736
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
I've now decided to get an Outex tubeless conversion kit installed on both my tyres. It's much more easier repairing a tubeless tyre than a tubed one. The Outex itself cost me Rs.14,000 and the installation charges quoted was Rs.5,000.00.
Only if Outex was not so expensive. Earlier there were very few takers for Outex and only big bike buyers such as bonnies, tigers, africatwins etc, could digest that cost. With so many RE 650 twins on the road, If the outex or similar tech for sealing spoked rims was offered at a more affordable cost, there would be many more takers. I personally like the spokes look, and would go for conversion kit if the entire cost was under approx 7K. But at close to 20K, i am not sure. Also this is a sealing process and not 100% leak proof. Many a times, after some usage, there have been cases of air leaks. Doubt if there is a guarantee on this product. Hoping for RE to launch alloy as accessories for peace of mind, but that leads to another question: what will i do with the stock rims? I will be thrown out of house if i try and stock any more motorcycle related parts at home.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2019, 19:24   #737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
Does the RE 650 twins come with rims with safety humps? This Italian company also offers tubeless conversion kits but they will only do the conversion on rims with humps.
I really haven't checked if the rims come with safety humps. Outex seemed to be everyone's choice when I checked and I settled for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Getting an outex, vs getting alloy wheels, which is overall more worth it?
I would any day settle for the OEM alloys. The only reason that I had opted for the Outex at this point is because there is no confirmed information on when RE would be bringing out their alloys for the twins. I am also planning on a long solo ride this month end and didn't want to end up stranded with a punctured tube and struggling to get it repaired. The Outex will most likely be a stop gap arrangement until RE's alloys come out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schitre05 View Post
Slime or puncture resistant liquid is another option that can be explored in the meanwhile.
I did consider it, but was not sure how it would work on a tubed tyre. On a tubeless tyre, it seals the punctured hole, but if a tubed tyre gets punctured, how does it seal the puncture? Also, I've heard of rims getting corroded after prolonged usage of slime. So, felt getting the Outex would be a good stop gap arrangement until the OEM alloys came out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Only if Outex was not so expensive.
Absolutely agree with you. This thing is so very expensive and just hoping the product justifies the cost. Hopefully before this thing starts giving up and develops leaks, RE should have brought out their alloys. As soon at that comes out, I'll have to consider getting them on my Lady Marmalade.
Snehal Sekhar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 02:35   #738
BANNED

Royal Enfield upgrading rear suspension system of the Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 with rubber buffer built-in

Quote:
In an exclusive report, we can reveal that Royal Enfield has been upgrading the rear suspension system of the Interceptor 650 and Continental GT 650 with rubber buffer built-in. No official recall has been issued by the brand but the owners complaining about the rear suspension have received new shocks. The first lot of 650 Twins delivered did not have this rubber buffer setup and they can be upgraded at authorised showrooms with free of cost.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-royalenfield650side1068x601.jpg

Old vs New (notice the yellow rubber part)
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-royalenfieldrearsuspension1021x574.jpg

SOURCE
a4anurag is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 05:33   #739
Senior - BHPian

That looks like the 'bump stopper' to prevent the suspension from bottoming out. Good to see RE acting on customer feedback. Would have created a lot more goodwill if this was proactively done for all the customers, I believe.
Old 13th May 2019, 09:20   #740
Senior - BHPian

Cancelling my booking. Loved the engine, but overall the bike doesn't excite me as much I thought it would, after seeing it in the flesh on the roads and in parking lots (3rd party viewpoint) - it looks very ordinary, and the overall feeling is very commuter-bike like. Nothing wrong with that, as its reflected in the superb pricing, but it is not what I was looking for.

Shouldn't be taken as a reflection on the bike as its still a superb offering at the price point, its more to do with me - I feel the same about the Bonnie, for instance. Perhaps it will stand out as a retro design study outside India, but in the context of the biking scene in the country it looks very much like any of the commuter bikes around.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 12:01   #741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely agree with you. This thing is so very expensive and just hoping the product justifies the cost. Hopefully before this thing starts giving up and develops leaks, RE should have brought out their alloys. As soon at that comes out, I'll have to consider getting them on my Lady Marmalade.
Please keep the group posted on the conversion experience, where it was carried out and the cost. Do talk to them if possible, on revised pricing as many 650 and even the UCEs would be interested.
Quote:
Cancelling my booking. Loved the engine, but overall the bike doesn't excite me as much I thought it would, after seeing it in the flesh on the roads and in parking lots (3rd party viewpoint) - it looks very ordinary, and the overall feeling is very commuter-bike like. Nothing wrong with that, as its reflected in the superb pricing, but it is not what I was looking for.
I do share some of those sentiments. The bike does not have a presence or "stand out" when u see if head on - coming towards you on the road. It would pass as any bullet or rather not even that. The stock exhaust note is hardly audible as a third party. somehow, the bikes looks smaller compared to the classic range, when viewed from front. From rear, the large twin exhausts do catch some attention. Am sure RE in coming years will have many variants on this platform like bobbers, scramblers, clubmans etc with dapper looks. What works here is superb pricing for a 650 twin, a pleasant engine, smooth gear box and ABS. I feel its a bike to buy just to enjoy leisure riding and the retro world feel factor. The bike surely is capable, but modding it heavy for long distance touring, adventure/offroading etc will be a big ask. There are already purpose built bikes for all that. A nice aftermarket exhaust would surely lift the appeal and riding experience.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 13:16   #742
BHPian

Quick question: Need an opinion on the Chrome version.

Will it be difficult to maintain in Indian weather conditions? Has anyone bought a Chrome version before to share some POVs.

On a seperate note: A quick exhaust change and help reduce around 7kgs. Link to a video .

Thanks

Last edited by Knowall : 13th May 2019 at 13:22.
Old 13th May 2019, 13:33   #743
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quick question: Need an opinion on the Chrome version.

Will it be difficult to maintain in Indian weather conditions? Has anyone bought a Chrome version before to share some POVs.
No experience with 650 chrome version but i did have a chrome machismo ( profile pic here). The 650 chrome is similar with added recess for knee. Maintenance wise, there is no rusting on the OEM chrome parts in Bangalore weather. No major issues with maintenance as well, just good old waxpol and surface was shiny as chrome. Its prone to catching some fingerprints, but nothing too alarming. cleaning and polishing chrome has its own level of satisfaction unmatched by paint.
nasirkaka is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 17:05   #744
BHPian

Hello,
I am not sure if this is the correct thread to post this. It's regarding the booking experience that i have been facing from one of the dealerships in Trivandrum, Kerala.

The showroom name is Concept Royal Enfield Kazhakkoottam. I had booked my interceptor 650 in ravishing red color on the 8th of December last year. But they have not yet delivered the bike. The person who took my delivery was really enthusiastic when i wanted to book the bike. But once i handed over the money, they stopped the follow ups. I had to call him up many times regarding my delivery as mine was one of the first bookings for that color at that showroom. He promised a delivery within two months as mine was in the early booking category. But even after February i received no calls from my part.

When i tried calling them, they did not pick up the phone. Went down to the showroom with my dad to enquire and the sales person said that he was sick and was admitted at the hospital and that is why he could not answer the calls. When i asked about the delay they said that there was some problem with the manufacturing centre and that the bike would be delivered in a month at the latest. Its May now and i haven't received my bike till now.

The manager there is now telling me that the bikes have not been dispatched from the manufacturer and that the bike would be delivered by the 15th of this month and if they cannot deliver the bike themselves (Concept, kazhakkoottam) some other showroom would do the delivery. Is this possible? Will one showroom delivery the bike that was booked at another showroom? I feel something is wrong and would like advice on how to proceed with this problem.
Arun.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 13th May 2019 at 17:12. Reason: formatting for better readability
Old 13th May 2019, 17:55   #745
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
I am not sure if this is the correct thread to post this. It's regarding the booking experience that i have been facing from one of the dealerships in Trivandrum, Kerala.
Well, i booked towards the end of dec, was promised delivery within 3 months and still no news on the bike. So i guess all we can do it wait. Meanwhile, if you try and make some noise, usually it speeds up delivery. Create a nice writeup on your booking experience so far with added spices (like mental torture, stress & trauma, hypertention) to make the read interesting and emotional. Share it with a few auto magazines /blogs. Most usually loves to bash Royal Enfield and would create an interesting article out of your booking story. Get in touch with Vloggers on youtube who would definitely see a nice video story scope and capture it with their go-pros and use it to grab more subscribers. Also, try and get hold of email ids of their customer care, area manager, territory manager, and other influential RE guys, including the showroom id you have booked at. Share an emotional mail. Do include pics of booking receipts, etc as that adds weight. There is a large FB group on 650 twins. exploit that. Use twitter and a lot of big RE folks are there too. Use the power of social media and am sure all this nose will help you get noticed and get the bike too. I did try some of these during my classic 500 delayed delivery and it helped. They also gave me a complementary upswept exhaust.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2019, 19:09   #746
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunRS2305 View Post
Hello,

The showroom name is Concept Royal Enfield Kazhakkoottam.
Try to see if anyone is getting delivieries done from that showroom, as bikes are certainly being transported to the showrooms in Chennai. I remember a few posts on the previous page talking about issues with Concept dealership, so maybe there's some truth in the latest reply that you got.

Edit: The recent posts were about CVS, Bangalore dealer. So not related. But still figure out if your dealer too has a similar problem.

Mine's a Dec booking @Adyar,Chennai which I did not push aggressively last few months as I was traveling. When I inquired last week, they said my turn did come up and they tried reaching me and they would slot me in the next installment (this week). Recently there were 4 interceptors delivered to the Adyar showroom (I missed out on that lot), and there would be another lot in a week or earlier.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 13th May 2019 at 19:12.
Old 14th May 2019, 11:56   #747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post

Shouldn't be taken as a reflection on the bike as its still a superb offering at the price point, its more to do with me - I feel the same about the Bonnie, for instance. Perhaps it will stand out as a retro design study outside India, but in the context of the biking scene in the country it looks very much like any of the commuter bikes around.
Try the Ravishing Red one. That looks quite premium. I do agree that the front view is pretty underwhelming but a few tweaks over time will bring it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190511_155654_bokeh.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190511_155720.jpg  

shabih is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 19:02   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
So I made my booking in November and I am yet to get hold of the bike. My booking was made, I think on the 2nd or 3rd day after the launch. They had at first given me a tentative delivery date around first week of February, which was then postponed to sometime between 8th April - 15th April, and now the latest response is atleast not in the month of May.
I got the bike delivered about 10 days back, have ridden it for about 100kms.
This is exactly the type of bike I always wanted. I have 4 criterias for a bike. 1) Traditional good looks, that mingle easily in the traffic 2) Good powerful engine 3) Good braking 4) I have a preference towards bikes that feel heavy. Interceptor ticks all the boxes for me.

Having said that, I am facing the following issues:
1) Can't find the neutral easily. Not once have I been able to slot the bike in neutral in less than 3 attempts.
2) Strange tuk - tuk noise from the engine. i don't know if its an inherent sound of the engine, I think not. Its not the tappet sound.
3) The RHS mirror is too tight, when I use force to adjust, it feels like it will break.
4) The fuel gauge is ridiculous. In the morning today it showed two bars less than the full set. In the afternoon while riding it was showing all the bars.
5) Slotting the gears, feels a bit hard.
6) The rpm needle keeps fluctuating when idle.
7) Sometimes the clutch lever motion is not smooth, get a hint of the cable coming out of position and then slotting back.

One word about the delivery experience - fabulous.
Without being annoying, I have received more than 3 follow up calls from the dealership on different topics, since delivery. Today, a kind lady called to ask if I was facing any issues. I mentioned all the issues listed above. She confirmed they would be sending a person to check the bike, and if need be will bring it to the service center.

Last edited by rrsteer : 14th May 2019 at 19:13.
rrsteer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2019, 23:01   #749

Hi, I booked GT Ice queen last week here in Coimbatore and today I got a call from the dealer that I can make the payment and get the delivery this week end.. surprised but Only concern is the riding position in GT cos of wrist and back pain.. I love the looks and aggressiveness of the bike.. can I go ahead and buy it? One of my friend who is having GT said, you will get used to it after a month or so.. Please advise
Old 15th May 2019, 10:29   #750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArunRS2305 View Post
The manager there is now telling me that the bikes have not been dispatched from the manufacturer and that the bike would be delivered by the 15th of this month and if they cannot deliver the bike themselves (Concept, kazhakkoottam) some other showroom would do the delivery. Is this possible? Will one showroom delivery the bike that was booked at another showroom? I feel something is wrong and would like advice on how to proceed with this problem.
Arun.
The possibility of another showroom delivering your bike seems to be a little far fetched as the company will dispatch motorcycles to showrooms based on their bookings / inventory they are willing to carry. My suggestion is ask for an escalation mechanism in the sales channel and speak to a sales manager. There should be contact details of higher ups in the showroom itself. Let them confirm or deny the possibility of other showroom allocation and if so, which showroom it will be.

Meanwhile, write to the customer care email ID as well and share your experience. That should get things moving and you can clear the air once and for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
One word about the delivery experience - fabulous.
Without being annoying, I have received more than 3 follow up calls from the dealership on different topics, since delivery. Today, a kind lady called to ask if I was facing any issues. I mentioned all the issues listed above. She confirmed they would be sending a person to check the bike, and if need be will bring it to the service center.
Wow, that is great to hear! Which Royal Enfield showroom is this? I wish all showrooms adopted the same customer first mindset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitei20 View Post
Hi, I booked GT Ice queen last week here in Coimbatore and today I got a call from the dealer that I can make the payment and get the delivery this week end.. surprised but Only concern is the riding position in GT cos of wrist and back pain.. I love the looks and aggressiveness of the bike.. can I go ahead and buy it? One of my friend who is having GT said, you will get used to it after a month or so.. Please advise
Dont worry, it will take you not more than a week or two to get used to the posture. Enjoy your GT 650!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks