Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st August 2019, 12:30   #1021
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParsiStig View Post
Needless to say, the first things to come off were the saree guard, the rear handle for the pillion and the little metal rod across the handle bar. All that alone felt like 2.5-3kg of unnecessary weight. I may also remove the centre stand as don't think I'll be using it that often as I already have a roller from Grand Pitstop to use while cleaning the chain.
Congratulations and all the best with your new bike!

The little metal rod across the handlebar is supposedly in place to ward off vibrations. Could someone please verify/disprove this?

Do keep the centre stand in the eventuality of a puncture or simply stable parking if/when required.

Ride safe.

Cheers
Old 1st August 2019, 15:04   #1022
Senior - BHPian

Theoretically the brace across the handlebar increases the strength and rigidity of the handlebar and is typically used in Motocross bikes where they keep jumping and hard landing very often. But yes, as an added benefit this could also reduce handle bar vibrations to an extent. But since the Interceptor is already quite refined, I wouldn't be too bothered about the vibes.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 18:51   #1023
BHPian

Is anyone else facing issues with extra effort required to twist the throttle with respect to cable or spring tension?

A friend's INT650 has this issue, the amount of effort required to twist the throttle is way too much compared to any bike and due to which he is having pain in the wrist. On a quick look, it seems to be the tension in the spring near the FI.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1.jpg
Any leads or fix on this?

on a (curious) side note, does this bike have 2 throttle cables? Any reason for this?
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-2.jpg
livyodream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2019, 19:00   #1024
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
on a (curious) side note, does this bike have 2 throttle cables? Any reason for this?
In case the butterfly seizes the return cable ensures that you can manually close it by rolling back the throttle.

It's a safety measure mandated in export markets. IIRC the ZMA was the first motorcycle to bring it to Indian shores in 2003.

You'd be just fine with a single cable.

As for too much tension, change cables and ensure that they're routed a bit for freely rather than through the harness loops, using only one cable would also reduce a bit of drag.

Regards,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 1st August 2019 at 19:02.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2019, 12:51   #1025
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^
This may not be directly relevant but nevertheless - while folks trying to apply the grip puppies on the throttle, end up twisting with force as opposed to the routine operation. So if at all anything like that was tried before, the throttle cable might have been pushed out of place/ stretched out of balance or in the process of getting cut. A good idea like Ashwin said, replace the cable and see if the problem still persists.
Old 2nd August 2019, 20:04   #1026
BHPian

Hey guys, I am looking forward to own interceptor 650. The classic looks and flat seat makes me want this after having spent some time with the RD350.
Have a few questions before going ahead with the purchase, will like if you guys shed some light over:

1. I am a novice when it comes to riding geared bikes, I had taken few rides in past on my friends Pulsar 220 and RD350. I ride non-geared scooters but completely new of owning and using this as a daily drive. Will it be difficult?
2. About the engine heat over city rides, is it very alarming or can be dealt with? Now the daily scenario for me using this bike will be traveling to my office which is mere 4kms back and forth, before the engine could even heat and reach optimum temperatures I will be at the destination. Apart from this will be having 200kms trips monthly, for which I currently use a car, but now want to experience bike rides.
3. What is the waiting period in Mumbai? will be purchasing one after rains mostly somewhere in October.
Old 2nd August 2019, 22:20   #1027
BHPian

Mod note: Fixing broken Quote tags, please Preview post before posting. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Hey guys, I am looking forward to own interceptor 650. The classic looks and flat seat makes me want this after having spent some time with the RD350.
Have a few questions before going ahead with the purchase, will like if you guys shed some light over:

1. I am a novice when it comes to riding geared bikes, I had taken few rides in past on my friends Pulsar 220 and RD350. I ride non-geared scooters but completely new of owning and using this as a daily drive. Will it be difficult?
It will feel just like any other bike in case of power as the power delivery is very linear and spread across the rev range. The only thing you will feel is the weight, i own a pulsar 180 and the continental gt(same weight as interceptor) feels heavier while moving the bike in the garage. And for you riding, a non geared scooters it will feel very heavy, but after a while you will get habitual. Take multiple test drives in traffic and feel that for yourself.

Quote:
2. About the engine heat over city rides, is it very alarming or can be dealt with? Now the daily scenario for me using this bike will be traveling to my office which is mere 4kms back and forth, before the engine could even heat and reach optimum temperatures I will be at the destination. Apart from this will be having 200kms trips monthly, for which I currently use a car, but now want to experience bike rides.
About the heat, in 4 kms the engine wouldn't heat much so you'll be fine. But if you get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for a long time then you'll surely feel the heat and it will get uncomfortable. Take multiple test drives from various showrooms and you'll get to know about the heat as well. And regarding that 200 kms trip, the bike is made for such trips only

Quote:
3. What is the waiting period in Mumbai? will be purchasing one after rains mostly somewhere in October.
No idea mate

Last edited by Jaggu : 2nd August 2019 at 22:37. Reason: Fixing broken Quote tags, please Preview post before posting. Thanks.
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2019, 21:44   #1028
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post
Update on the wobbling issue-

SVC changed the front tyre under warranty.
Tested upto 110 Kmph, no wobbling encountered with the new tyre.
Hope it stays this way as the tyre ages.
Also got the ECU updated. Did not experience any difference in the ride.
Hey!!
Could you mention in detail what they changed and all? I am facing the same issue at 75-85kmph.
Old 4th August 2019, 04:27   #1029
BHPian

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post

It is very easy to ride due to high torque and flat torque curve. If you can flat foot the bike the weight is also not a problem. My first bike was a street twin and it is no issue at all. Go for it.
gautam99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 07:52   #1030
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Congratulations and all the best with your new bike!

The little metal rod across the handlebar is supposedly in place to ward off vibrations. Could someone please verify/disprove this?

Do keep the centre stand in the eventuality of a puncture or simply stable parking if/when required.

Ride safe.

Cheers
Overdrive removed it on their Long term test vehicle and didn't seem to have any issues. In fact it slightly helps with low speed manoeuvring.
I personally haven't felt any problems without it yet.
TheParsiStig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2019, 08:35   #1031
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParsiStig View Post
Overdrive removed it on their Long term test vehicle and didn't seem to have any issues. In fact it slightly helps with low speed manoeuvring.
I personally haven't felt any problems without it yet.
Can you please share pics of the bike without the handle as well as one from side now without the (removed) saree guard too? I'm actually interested in doing that. Your earlier pics seem to be the before-removal images.
Old 5th August 2019, 12:48   #1032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rituj View Post
Hey!!
Could you mention in detail what they changed and all? I am facing the same issue at 75-85kmph.
I had the same issue between 80-90 KMPH at the first instance they adjusted the T joint bolt, but nothing changed.
When I gave back the bike 2nd time, they changed the front tyre under warranty.
They changed the front tyres for a few others too facing the same issue. I just spoke this morning to one of them, after riding around 900 KM on the new tyre, the issue is back to as it was, bike is wobbling like crazy.
I have not been able to ride much because of the rains, tested the bike on highway on 2 occasions after tyre change, no wobbling experienced. Have only ridden around 70 odd kms with the new tyre, only time will tell if the issue is actually fixed.

This issue is being faced by many buyers across the country, I guess RE should acknowledge this as an issue and work towards finding the root cause, and if needed issue a recall.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 14:41   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Can you please share pics of the bike without the handle as well as one from side now without the (removed) saree guard too? I'm actually interested in doing that. Your earlier pics seem to be the before-removal images.
Well here's my GT with the saare guard and the rear mudguard removed. It looks great and saves some weight as well. I hope it helps
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20190725wa0007.jpg  

yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2019, 18:29   #1034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I'd highly recommend removing it if you aren't frequently taking women in sarees as pillions. Both the rear handle and the saree guard are held by 4 bolts.

Additionally I recently fitted an OPT7 FluxBeam X Motorcycle LED Headlight H4

http://www.opt-7.com/fluxbeam-x-moto...led-headlight/

Might be a bit pricey, but it makes a huge difference. I really don't feel the need to add auxiliary lights now. Again, its a simple replacement job. Only had a bit of a struggle to fit headlamp back in. This bulb comes with its own little heat exchanger as well that makes a whining noise when its running.

Have also attached a low beam/high beam comparison.

Anyone know any good places in Bangalore where I can get my wheels powder coated in gloss Black?
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190805_180325.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190805_180416.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190804_111135.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190805_180429.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190805_180432.jpg  

TheParsiStig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 12:43   #1035
BHPian

Just became a proud owner of Interceptor 650 Mark III, really satisfied with the performance and usability. Coming from a Honda unicorn, this is a good step up. The refinement and NVH levels are mind boggling for a royal Enfield. Will update after running in is complete.
thirumalkumaran is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks