Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2019, 12:17   #1411
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I noticed this today while trying out the configuration option on the Royal Enfield website. Was this there earlier?
Yes, it has been there from a very long time.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2019 at 19:32. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 13th November 2019, 14:05   #1412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
E6000 glue + 3M Tape (4412n/4411n) will do you nicely for conversion without breaking the bank.
That will be interesting! Did you carry out this DIY or plan to do so?

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2019 at 19:33. Reason: Quote trimmed.
Old 13th November 2019, 18:56   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabih View Post
That will be interesting! Did you carry out this DIY or plan to do so?
Don't have either of the twins yet, still not sure if I'm buying one. This method has got a good review on ADV forum and I know that a couple of people on here have tried it, to good result IIRC.

Honestly, OUTEX seems like an expensive re badge of the 3M solution. You put stickers on the spoke orifices and then tape all around. Seems virtually identical if you ask me. Oh I forgot to mention, you need to change the valve from a tube value to tubeless. That's an easy change though.
Old 13th November 2019, 21:38   #1414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Now what I've figured is I will need to spend some money on sorting out the ride triangle of the Interceptor. The GT clip ons and my knees gripping the tank tend to do funny stuff at times, position seems good, but the over all feel seems off to me. I'm also pretty sure that I'd want to change the springs to sort out the suspension on the bike, it really ought to have been sprung better, can get a bit unsettling at times. All this means the cost of the bike will probably increase significantly to me. So I'm in two minds now.
To install GT handlebar on the interceptor we have to change the handlebar yoke, I was told that by the 650 expert (Mr. Amit) on the RE store. I was confused between the interceptor and the GT and I was more inclined towards GT so Mr. Amit told that in future if you want to convert your GT into Interceptor just swap the handlebar yoke, handlebar and the foot pegs assembly, that's all. Maybe in some years after I get tired by the aggressive riding stance I'll do the swap.
To sort out the riding triangle you can get the Interceptor's foot pegs assembly, that will move your legs forward resulting in knees moving up and you'll be able to grip the tank properly .

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2019 at 19:34. Reason: Spacing, typos, grammar.
Old 14th November 2019, 13:52   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
To sort out the riding triangle you can get the Interceptor's foot pegs assembly, that will move your legs forward resulting in knees moving up and you'll be able to grip the tank properly .
Very bad idea. Ask the poor Interceptor owners and they will tell you their sob story with bruised shin bones as evidence. The damn foot-pegs stick out so far wide on the interceptor that there is no way to flat foot your legs without them poking sideways or rubbing against the shin.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2019 at 19:35. Reason: Quote trimmed, spacing, typos.
Old 14th November 2019, 16:18   #1416
BHPian

Thinking of getting a 1-inch handlebar raiser from a trusted source.
Going to get the seat padded up this weekend.
And picked an X grip mobile holder with a U clamp.

I guess that'd conclude all the modding I will be doing on the bike!
Old 14th November 2019, 19:18   #1417
BHPian

My 2 cents when I rode the bike in Pune a couple of weeks back,
Enfield ... you can get only two reactions from a bike enthusiast. Either they swear by it won’t buy any other brand of motorcycle come what may (most of them!) or either you get scoffed by the haters or non believers. So when the rumours started that Enfield were indeed making a twin cylinder bike, the jokes started soon after. “Enfield now has a back up cylinder” or “Enfield can now disappoint us twice” depending on the side you are you going to laugh or cry!

After almost a year of being launched I finally managed to get a longish ride on the Interceptor. The Hadapsar showroom was great. Really friendly staff, had all the answers, and handed me the key and told me to take as long as I wanted. In comparison the Nagar Road showroom is useless! The bike I think was a media bike and had a well over 50k kms on it. First impressions, nothing felt loose or shaky. Everything worked like it was supposed to. The bike is pretty large in person and the pictures can be a misleading.

I started of tentatively but within a few kilometres got accustomed to it. There is an old world charm about this bike that’s so likeable. The needles swooping across the dials, the round headlamp with the normal halogen bulb the engine case covers and the upswept exhausts all look amazing. The bike too has a unique firing. More of a low rubble than the thump we associate bullets with. Almost Bonneville like. Of course am not comparing a Triumph with a Royal Enfield as the Triumph is leagues ahead. But it also costs 3 times the money. The question is, is it 3 times the motorcycle. Another argument for another day.

It does have a bit of flaws too. The riding position is not very relaxed especially the foot pegs, the exhaust which look so good will definitely give a few birth marks to the pillion and that seat is like a school bench. Not deal breakers. But yes they are there.
Having left the Royal Enfield showroom and having almost made up my mind to buy the bike a strange thing happened on the way home. As I was working out the mental maths in my head to present to the finance ministry at home (wife) I stopped at a traffic lights lost in my own thoughts. Just then, my dream bike (those who know me already know which it is and ironically just like Enfield it’s one of the most loved/hated brands worldwid ) stood right next to me. So close I could feel the heat from the engine. Maybe god’s way of saying that I should wait as better (or worse depending on which side of the fence you're on is on its way.

Would I buy an Interceptor? Not yet. Not till I get what I really want. Would I recommend it to someone? Definitely, yes. Even with its flaws it’s one of the best bikes you can buy around the 3 lacs mark. Haters of Enfield should once rest ride it. Might change your opinion.

Note from Support: Spacing fixed, non-standard smileys removed, grammar fixed.

Last edited by aah78 : 14th November 2019 at 19:38. Reason: See note.
Hamza123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 16:16   #1418
BHPian

Got this mobile holder+charger unit:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Great reviews from a lot of biker friends.

Was wondering if it would work with the DC electrical, but apparently it does, according to Amazon Q&A.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20191114wa0077.jpg

Last edited by ashishk29 : 15th November 2019 at 16:20. Reason: Minor grammaticals and typos.
Old 15th November 2019, 18:34   #1419
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Was wondering if it would work with the DC electrical, but apparently it does, according to Amazon Q&A.
It only works on 12V DC.

Though if you pull the charger chord firmly the charging unit would come out easily, once it does throw it in the trash. The unit is simply unsafe to use in the rains.

If you're adamant about using it then do make sure to use a fuse and a lot of commonsense when wiring it, especially since you have a FI motorcycle.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 18:46   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
It only works on 12V DC.

Though if you pull the charger chord firmly the charging unit would come out easily, once it does throw it in the trash. The unit is simply unsafe to use in the rains.

If you're adamant about using it then do make sure to use a fuse and a lot of commonsense when wiring it, especially since you have a FI motorcycle.

Regards,
A.P.
Thanks a bunch! I actually do not intend to use the charging unit at all.
I was looking up ways to get rid of it, even asked a couple of friends.

Quick update: It definitely isn't coming out that easily! Tried tugging on the cable, then tried prying it loose. So far, no luck.

Last edited by ashishk29 : 15th November 2019 at 18:50.
Old 15th November 2019, 19:31   #1421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
The unit is simply unsafe to use in the rains.
+1 to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
Thanks a bunch! I actually do not intend to use the charging unit at all.
I was looking up ways to get rid of it, even asked a couple of friends.

Quick update: It definitely isn't coming out that easily! Tried tugging on the cable, then tried prying it loose. So far, no luck.
I simply cut the cable at the starting point itself; now it looks like a small plug-point/socket hole that is not noticeable at all while riding.

Not very clear, but had a pic in this post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Attachment 1879900
Actual setup

The mobile is a curse and a boon for the touring biker. And a good mobile holder is the key. The Chevik mobile holder (available on Amazon) is a VFM option that fixes on all bikes and also comes with a small battery bank (which I discarded). Attached to the rearview mirror screw, the holder remains firm and tested on a 300 km ride successfully. Cost: 1K INR
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2019, 20:31   #1422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
+1 to this.

I simply cut the cable at the starting point itself; now it looks like a small plug-point/socket hole that is not noticeable at all while riding.

Not very clear, but had a pic in this post.
Same. Took out my trusty Swiss knife, chopped the damn thing off! Now gonna stick around some transparent tape just for my satisfaction.
Old 15th November 2019, 22:25   #1423
BHPian

Review of the GT650 from one the best reviewers out there.

highlander is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th November 2019, 12:36   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
What a fantastic review - very different from the general reviews and brilliantly pointing out the finer aspects, some I didn't even realize till date! Thanks for sharing this!
Old 16th November 2019, 14:06   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlander View Post
I just logged in to post this review and already saw it here

The best review of the twin and believe me I have seem them all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks