Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2018, 02:57   #46
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Likes -
  • Perfect pricing, attracts both traditional customers and existing 'superbike' owners alike.
  • Smooth parallel twin engine with a very linear torque delivery. A 'Bullet' that can take on modern highways.
  • Excellent slip and assist clutch + 6 speed gearbox combination.
  • Nice exhaust note for a parallel twin motor.
  • Build quality is leagues ahead of any RE till date. Well built for the price.

Dislikes -
  • Riding stance and also other new age improvements may not appeal to the traditional Enfield fans.
  • Bit heavy and wide for those upgrading from smaller machines - will take time getting used to.
  • Straight line stability and suspension not the best, but not a dealbreaker either.
  • Some elements follow retro styling more than function - the instrument cluster, headlamps, mirrors, spokes + tube tyres as examples.
  • If making heads turn with looks and sound is your thing - this one pretty much flies under the radar.
CrAzY dRiVeR - I didn't have a chance to go through the entire review while making my last post, hence did not comment on it yet. After going through it now, I think that this report can be considered as an official Team-BHP review for sure. Some mind blowing attention to detail. Rated it a much deserved 5 stars. Well done mate!

I had posted in the thread that is now closed that I have no interest in buying either of these bikes, or any RE for that matter. I still stand by that statement. But, that doesn't stop me from admiring the gigantic leaps forward that the company has taken with producing these bikes. The value for money proposition is tremendous!

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 09:56   #47
BHPian

A very detailed review which will definitely help prospective buyers in making their decisions.

The last time when I was equally impressed by a 2 wheeler review on Tbhp was by IronH4WK on the Bajaj Dominor.
FURY_44 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 12:57   #48
BHPian

That's fantastic review of an outstanding bike (at the price point) which has Jio'ed the motorcycle market in India.

1. The cost structure of the company enabled RE to price the twins aggressively. The current EBIDTA margins are around 30% and there is a significant headway. The current competitors cannot match the pricing for quite sometime and by which time I believe RE would have gotten that first to market lead.

2. The MNCs which mostly compete in the market has their task cut out. Any aggressive price cuts will not send the right signals about them which can be wrongly conceived as trimming fat margins which I believe is not the case. More over such price cuts will dent their brand image which in turn impact their very high end motor cycles market.

3. While Sid Lal and Co. is doing all the hard work of building an indigenous engine and expanding the market size by providing the customers what they want, Rahul Bajaj & Co. is busy poking him at premium end of the motorcycles. When the strategy did not work they started competing on the price at the lower end of the market where Hero is a leader by quite a margin. I believe Bajaj is found sucking their thumb.

4. I'm happy that an Indian company has shown to their counterparts/world that we can build a world class product which though with initial niggles will improve over time.

5. I'm not in the market for one, else the interceptor would have made the cut for its timeless design and power at affordable cost.

Does anyone know the total bookings made country wide?
petrolveins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 14:46   #49
BHPian

Great review and excellent photography!

BTW, I was wondering how good or usable you found the the tank filler cap? I believe that the headlight is an 'always on' type (judging from lack of any switch for it). Can you confirm?

It will be great if you can update the thread about these two things. Thanks again.
Hoopoe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 15:05   #50
BHPian

A very detailed and useful review, thanks for the intricate take on almost all aspects, looks like RE have finally got their NVH issues sorted and these two should turn out to be the next favorites from their stable.

Was just wondering if they would result in cannibalization of the 500 single cylinder line up as I find them much more vfm, any thoughts?
Akhileshmdp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 15:12   #51
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Wow! What a detailed review with equally detailed pics. Thanks for this one. very well written and without any prejudice. Next time, please call me for such review where i can hold the flash for photos and get to ride a bit as well.
Looking forward to test riding one, and sharing experience here.
nasirkaka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 16:19   #52
BHPian

Dear CrAzY dRiVeR, thanks a lot for the detailed review. For me it was like our official review.
Since the news broke, I was following the developments very closely . Although I don't have any intention to buy one. I was fascinated by the thing that RE is offering something very special.
I was trying to get more details. The 10 minutes video by the leading TV auto shows didn't satisfy my quench. And the internet world had bits & pieces.
Your detailed review, going up to smaller nuts & bolts answered all my curiousness. I used to ride quite a time back & still the idea of buying a new bike fascinates me. But the grey cells tell me you are better off on four wheels!
distiller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 16:50   #53
Senior - BHPian

S U P E R B review Crazy Driver

Does anyone know the company recomended tyre pressure for the twins?

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 17:09   #54
BHPian

Now that I'm in the line, waiting for my Interceptor 650 in Orange crush to be delivered (Jan End-Feb Mid as told by the dealer). Curiosity is just killing me and my mind is already working on the initial bit of customization I'd like to start with. I Currently ride a bone stock standard 500 with no experience in the aftermarket scene.

Need advice on what I have in mind:
1. The Exhausts: Yes S&S are being developed, but there is no clarity on when they’ll be available. So in the meanwhile, will it be possible to fit a pair of Megaphone Exhausts without having major fueling issues, as they’ll be slip ons. Personally I love the sound of the Megaphones on the Continental GT535. Image reference below:
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-megaphone.jpg

2. Head Lights: For me Personally, the headlamp is the fly in the ointment giving a very dated look to the overall modern classic approach, and would to upgrade/Change. What is the diameter of the headlight on the Intercepter? Is it possible to have the projector headlight assembly from the Thunderbird fitted onto it? Or can we swap the Clear lense of the Classic onto the interceptor? I haven’t head much about bulb upgrades for bikes, is that an option too? If it’s the standard 7” then there are multiple options for complete replacements.

3. AUX Lights: I feel it is very important to have a good set of AUX lights if riding on the highway is the priority. While searching online there were a lot of options available between Spots and Floods. There are way to many cheap offerings and im skeptical about their real world performance. Is there any reputed companies that one should focus on?

4. Indicators: I love LED indicator for their crisp glow and from what I remember from my test ride, there was no hazard switch for the indicators. I am finding plug and play type LED Indicator replacements in addition with a flasher relay.

Looking forward to guidance form the experienced
damanbir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 17:57   #55
BHPian

Thanks a lot Crazy Driver your post fuels the twins mania even more.

I got to test ride the bike for a good 45 mins on highway as well as narrow lanes.

Took the test ride of the Interceptor from Soniya motors Bhandup.
The bike had done only 90 kms on the odo so it was brand new. Everyone was allowed a 30/ 40 min test ride. I was feeling too much heat coming from the motor. Probably because the bike was very new and everyone was riding it to high speeds. Has anyone else experienced this ?
Also the bike felt very tight and it wasn't free revving, but that I think will happen only after the initial few thousand kms and services.

But....as soon as I rode it for the first 1 km I was convinced "this is it", there is no doubt that I along with my 4 friends are booking the bike by next week.

Going for the ravishing red with full accessories kit.

Planning to keep the Interceptor for long hopefully

Cheers !!

Last edited by The Great : 7th December 2018 at 18:05.
The Great is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 17:59   #56
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Now that I'm in the line, waiting for my Interceptor 650 in Orange crush to be delivered (Jan End-Feb Mid as told by the dealer). Curiosity is just killing me and my mind is already working on the initial bit of customization I'd like to start with. I Currently ride a bone stock standard 500 with no experience in the aftermarket scene.
My thoughts:

EXHAUST: As we know these bikes are not the typical Royal Enfield, there is a twin cylinder, ECU, EFI, Exhaust, all are related and work based on algorithms/maps. So do not generally switch pipes unless its from a reputed brand backed by thorough testing. In some cases, a new map may also be required. With the 650 twins, gone are the days where we could simply plonk goldies, megaphones, dholkis, short bottle, bazooka and what not on the CIs, AVLs and UCEs.

HEADLIGHT: am sure we will soon have options from LED bulbs, to clear lens to even the entire dome replacements. Dia should be 7inch mostly, but thats a guess.

AUX LIGHT: a good pair of aux would be require and choosing one is a task in itself with all available complexities of spot, spread, combination, beam pattern, beam angle, lux, lumens, wattage, colour temp, etc. Try and save for a branded pair like rigids, denalis, cyclops, etc as cheap chinese ones give the impression of lot of light but actually illuminate nothing except causing disturbance to oncoming traffic. Could easily be mounted on the crash-bar.

INDICATORS: Soon we will have aftermarket options, even possibilities of swapping with LEDs from likes of KTMs. Few have already swapped on their versys and ninjas.

Soon the market will be flooded with accessories for the 650 twins as this is a global launch. RE themselves have and will add more to their list of accessories. We will have reputed international players developing suspension and exhaust kits for these bikes. There is a lot of cost effective options on accessories on the likes of Aliexpress. This whole business of accessorizing and customizing our ride is never ending and expensive too.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 7th December 2018 at 18:03.
nasirkaka is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 18:51   #57
BHPian

Thanks Crazy Driver for this wonderful review. I think the last Team BHP review about a bike was for Ninja 650 by moderator bblost. That was in 2011.

Mods it is high time we have official reviews for bikes too.

Rating this five stars.

Last edited by Vasuki : 7th December 2018 at 18:52.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 19:24   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Thanks Crazy Driver for this wonderful review. I think the last Team BHP review about a bike was for Ninja 650 by moderator bblost. That was in 2011.

Mods it is high time we have official reviews for bikes too.

Rating this five stars.
Last bike review was for Dominar from IronHawK. Yes, regular bike reviews is a good thing to have as I bought Dominar only after readinng review here.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2018, 19:58   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Last bike review was for Dominar from IronHawK. Yes, regular bike reviews is a good thing to have as I bought Dominar only after readinng review here.

KK
I thought there is a difference between Ridden and Official Reviews.
Old 7th December 2018, 21:22   #60
Senior - BHPian

Which is the widest part of the bike south of the handlebars - footpegs or silencers?
Exhaust shield - how likely is one (on the shorter side) likely to barbeque the inside of ones ankles?

Regards
Sutripta

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks