Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2018, 22:21   #121
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

It's arrived and it's been amazing. I did the highway sprints in Goa, and did over 60km of spirited riding there. Note I have done a fair amount of city traffic riding, riding it to work everyday, last 3 days.
Review should be up tomorrow. Right now, I don't want the evening to end.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20181212_190939.jpg
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 08:38   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormsearcher View Post
Why is no one asking why such a modern engine in a brand new design is still running SOHC? It makes no sense
I did; along with questioning the 5 odd lakh rupee price tag many were vociferously defending with all their might:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...5-lakhs-6.html
Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 09:40   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

- I wonder what engine oil owners will gravitate towards once they start coming in for services. For those who do not know, Royal Enfield refuses to accept oil that owners bring in, even if it is in the same specifications as what they have officially listed. So you can only use the Royal Enfield engine oil if you want to retain warranty. With the GT 535, Motul’s top of the line 300V has proven to be an excellent engine oil. If the 650 engines are this smooth with Royal Enfield's liquid gun (I presume) oil right out of the crate, imagine what it would be with a Liqui Moly or Shell or Motul fully synthetic oil instead?
As per my Interaction with the SA, the twins will be using full synthetic oil. I did check the sight glass of the INT 650 TD bike and the color of the engine oil was something different from the ones used in the other REs (UCE and LS410). Will come to know once the bikes start getting delivered.
PS- During the second service, I casually asked the SA if I could use Motul on my Himalayan. He straight away refused and advised to use only Liquid Gun till the warranty gets over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Review should be up tomorrow. Right now, I don't want the evening to end.
I guess, that one line is self explanatory .

Last edited by rakesh_r : 13th December 2018 at 09:42.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 09:47   #124
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I did; along with questioning the 5 odd lakh rupee price tag
They did exceed a couple of your expectations though!

Cheaper than 3.5L, being generous by 25 - 50k? Check.
Highway abilities? Check.

Thankfully no marketing BS about thump, soul, legend, or army connections required to sell this one.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 12:13   #125
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Why is no one asking why such a modern engine in a brand new design is still running SOHC? It makes no sense.
Are RE expecting to introduce a DOHC as an upgrade a couple of years down the road?

Sumanth, It Is REs way of doing things.
They moved from CI to AVL where they changed the material from Iron to Aluminium. The next one was UCE where the pushrod was still retained, but integrated the gear box, then it was LS 410 where they did away with pushrod for the first time, and now with 650 they have added another cylinder to this engine. Asking for DOHC will be too much of an ask from RE, maybe the next iteration. Folks seem happy with the fact that that there is no push rod, and the 650 twin is smooth engine without much vibes with slick gearbox, slipper assist clutch, EFI, and ABS. RE is surely come a long way since 1990s.
nasirkaka is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 17:15   #126
Senior - BHPian

The Interceptor blew my socks off. Had a chance to test ride at RE Banashankari. This bike will be a worldwide hit. The riding stance, the engine note, the brakes...everything appealed to me. Showroom experience was good. The welcome was really great considering they open at 10 AM and I was there at 9.15 AM. They explained the features well! Now, just Waiting for a Jawa before i settle for this Mocha
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_5225.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 17:46   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Now, just Waiting for a Jawa before i settle for this Mocha
I dont think u should wait for the jawa. The interceptor is a better product on paper atleast, and after having ridden it, i am sure the brakes will be a generation ahead of the jawa. Plus touring etc.

Book this.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2018, 17:56   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why is no one asking why such a modern engine in a brand new design is still running SOHC?
There has been some discussion on the other RE twin thread. Go through it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 13th December 2018, 23:50   #129
BHPian

When one slots the key in the ignition, and turns it, the headlight turns on

My concern, if I turn off the engine using the kill switch, the HL remains ON

Would the electric system get strained (over a period of time) cranking the engine with the head light ON.

At a traffic light, i may choose to kill the engine using the kill switch, but all the time i am standing, the head light is ON - please advice if the battery can actually take this load.
Old 14th December 2018, 00:01   #130
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post
This is common with most bikes having AHO these days, including my Versys 650.

Once I switch off the engine using the kill switch, I generally turn the key off and back on again immediately, so the headlamp is not running, only the small pilot lamp is - and I'm also ready to crank and go as soon as needed.
Old 14th December 2018, 07:45   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALTIMAed View Post

My concern, if I turn off the engine using the kill switch, the HL remains ON

Would the electric system get strained (over a period of time) cranking the engine with the head light ON.

At a traffic light, i may choose to kill the engine using the kill switch, but all the time i am standing, the head light is ON - please advice if the battery can actually take this load.
I think the Headlight goes off fully before the cranking begins. I see this in my Bonnie. I think its wired that way.
Old 14th December 2018, 09:29   #132
BHPian

If the headlight remains ON when the engine is turned off using kill switch then it will surely drain the battery especially at those long traffic signals. Although I do not have AHO on Mojo, I have made it a practice to turn it off only using the key. I rarely use the engine kill switch nowadays since it was causing some electrical issue on the bike when I used the kill switch and turned it back on immediately. Also one can avoid switching off the bike if the signal timer is less than 60 seconds as the fuel saving is slightly negated by the amount of fuel used to turn the bike ON, especially on EFI machines.

Off-Topic:
Why is this thread jumping around Motorbikes and Superbikes section? MODs seem to be confused whether the TWINS should come under Superbikes or not. I'd suggest a new section "Desi Superbikes" as this is truly a first for an Indian manufacturer to go beyond 600CC and single cylinder
This move by RE would surely encourage other Indian manufactures to develop more powerful machines at affordable prices as the market is slowly maturing and people have slowly started looking beyond 150CC commuters..
Old 14th December 2018, 10:18   #133
BHPian

I don't want to hijack this thread but as I explain below, I am looking for a mod for the Continental GT 650 and this is probably the right place to post this query.

The interceptor 650 is a little too tall for my height (which is short of 5' 6"). On the other hand the Continental GT 650 is around 12-15 mms lower and I am able to nearly plant my feet if I am wearing shoes. This is after sitting on both. I have a test ride scheduled on both tomorrow.

My problem with the Continental GT 650 is its forward stance. I prefer a more erect touring posture. Now the earlier gen Continental GT 535 seemed to have had this useful mod possibility that you could swap its handlebar (with appropriate risers) with the Himalayan's handlebar enabling an erect posture.

See

This swap seems a popular one as there is another video from the vlogger Ride with Raj which also seems to have gone for the same mod. However, the current GT 650 is a redesigned machine and as per the Enfield showroom technical folk, no such easy swap will be possible.

Wondering for any and all ideas as to how such a mod may be done.

Mods: If I need to post elsewhere do let me know

Last edited by bevivek : 14th December 2018 at 10:19. Reason: Easier reading
Old 14th December 2018, 10:25   #134
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post
On the other hand the Continental GT 650 is around 12-15 mms lower and I am able to nearly plant my feet if I am wearing shoes.
How? Is it because of the seat alone, or some other difference is also there?

Also, rear suspension preload is set stiffer on the GT - so making it similar to the Interceptor may help a bit as the suspenion goes down a couple of mm with the rider's weight.
Old 14th December 2018, 10:29   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How? Is it because of the seat alone, or some other difference is also there?
No, as per the service person at Brahma Motors, Pune there is a height difference between the seating platform of the Interceptor and the GT. I also found the GT seat to be soft so if its claimed seat height is 793 mm, then post my sitting it was probably closer to 790 or even lower.

I am going there tomorrow so should have more 'measured' details.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks