Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2018, 10:31   #136
Team-BHP Support

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevivek View Post
I am going there tomorrow so should have more 'measured' details.

Try the Interceptor with the touring seat from the GT and also check for the rear suspension preload. It should be softer on the Interceptor than in the GT.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 10:55   #137
BHPian

Have taken a long test ride (56kms) of Interceptor 650, and Oh man! the grin is just not going away.

Disclaimer! I'm a Royal Enfield fan boy, and the biggest capacity motorcycle I have ridden so far in my life is a Classic 500. Have close to 100k total riding experience and 80% of those kms were in different models of a Royal Enfield. Therefore this 'opinion' of mine would help only the RE guys who are sitting on a fence. Others, you know what to expect!

- Looks
- Engine and it's pulling power
- Smoothness of the engine
- Gear shift
- Brakes & ABS
- Seating posture
- Stability

Dislikes:

- Footpegs: It fouls with your legs (my height is 5.6 ft for reference). I hit my shin area badly and peeled the skin off when stopped at a traffic signal.
- Head Light: Light throw is nothing great to talk about.
- Seat: Too thin? Need to see how the support is when you are on a day-long ride.
- Heat - May not be pleasant in b2b traffic. Much more than a Classic 500.

How different is this bike for a RE user:

You get a much more powerful (usable power), Smooth, Safe and Vibe free bike that can be ridden all day long comfortably.

I booked Ravishing Red colour and the delivery is expected sometime in April 2019. My dealer Rudra Motors, Chennai mentioned that standard colours are available earlier than custom colours. Thanks to Rudra Motors for giving me the bike for a long test ride.

Can't wait to bring this baby home!

Last edited by Indicruz : 14th December 2018 at 11:02.
Indicruz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 11:58   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Once I switch off the engine using the kill switch, I generally turn the key off and back on again immediately, so the headlamp is not running, only the small pilot lamp is - and I'm also ready to crank and go as soon as needed.
My general query, with EFI we need to wait for the pump to prime before we push the starter. What is the exact purpose of Priming? I guess it has to do with building fuel pressure in the pump to feed the Fuel Injection.

Keeping the build of pressure in mind are we supposed to start the bike ASAP after priming or is it that once priming is complete it can be started after any duration as the pump can maintain that fuel pressure?

Suppose we are standing at a long Red Light and turn off the bike, and then immediately turn the ignition key on, the pump primes, but we push the starter about 60-70 seconds after the priming is done. Does this have any repercussions?
damanbir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 12:06   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
This is common with most bikes having AHO these days, including my Versys 650.

Once I switch off the engine using the kill switch, I generally turn the key off and back on again immediately, so the headlamp is not running, only the small pilot lamp is - and I'm also ready to crank and go as soon as needed.
NO, NO!!
There is a subtle but very important difference between versys and RE twins and even the 310GS w.r.t headlight.

On the versys when we switch OFF the engine using ignition key, and again turn the key to ON position, the the fuel pump primes, the parking light are on, the bike is ready to fire, but the headlight remain OFF. its only when we we crank the engine, the headlight comes ON. With this system, we can peacefully switch off the bike at signal, turn the key to ON and be ready to fire the engine when the signal turns green.

We cannot do this on the RE twins or even the 310GS as when one inserts the key into ignition and turns on, the headlight comes on regardless of whether the engine is fired up or not. Issue is when at signal, either we keep the bike running, or if we switch off using the key and switch on, the head light comes on without engine running (strain on battery). or if we switch off using key and wait for the traffic light to turn green, then switch it on, cannot instantly fire the engine, as fuel pump would not have completely primed. And them people from behind start honking. All this could be simply avoided by linking the headlight ON to engine ON, just like the versys. Wonder how they omit these simple and basic utility features.

In all of above operations, the kill switch remains on. If we kill the engine using kill switch, the headlight remains on regardless on all these bikes. Also, manufacturers advise to use kill switch only in emergency and not regularly to shutoff the engine.

Quote:
Suppose we are standing at a long Red Light and turn off the bike, and then immediately turn the ignition key on, the pump primes, but we push the starter about 60-70 seconds after the priming is done. Does this have any repercussions?
No issues at all provided when you immediately turn the ignition key on, the headlight should not come on. This is how it is on versys, but not on bikes like the aircooled Bonnies, RE 650 twins, G310GS etc.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 14th December 2018 at 12:13.
nasirkaka is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 14:09   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Also, manufacturers advise to use kill switch only in an emergency and not regularly to shut off the engine.
Is that the case? Never knew it and I always use that switch to turn off the bike before using the key to turn off the ignition.
Old 14th December 2018, 14:38   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Is that the case? Never knew it and I always use that switch to turn off the bike before using the key to turn off the ignition.
Off-Topic:
I see a lot of people doing this. Can I know what purpose does it serve? I find it to be unwanted double work to start the bike since you have to turn ON the key and also switch the engine kill switch to ON before firing it up. Why not use just the key? Why use both of them?
As pointed out earlier, engine kill switch is mainly for emergency purposes and not for regular use, you can read about the same in owner's manual of any bike equipped with kill switch. But it doesn't harm anything by using it in non-emergency so people tend to use it on a regular basis mostly for convenience since its easier to access than compared to the key for which you have to lift your hand off the handle bar.
Anyway, I always use the key to turn ON/OFF the bike, the engine kill switch is rarely used on my bike.

Last edited by Funny : 14th December 2018 at 14:40.
Old 14th December 2018, 14:56   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Am not sure on the exact reason, but that is the general advise in most user Manuel. Some believe that using kill switch regularly will burn-out the contact points resulting in loose connection and bike shutting off. Some also believe that once we get accustomed to using that switch, we may using the switch by mistake/unintentionally, which to result in a mishap. There are also some who believe that switching off the engine using kill switch does not prime the fuel pump on fuel injected bikes and could result in fuel pump damage in longer run. Many riders abroad practice the use of side stand to kill the engine when getting off the motorcycle, and leave the bike parked in gear. Prevents accidental rolling off esp around slopes. RE twins come with the side stand switch. Yay!

Last edited by nasirkaka : 14th December 2018 at 14:58.
Old 14th December 2018, 15:20   #143
Team-BHP Support

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...tor-650-a.html

Incase anyone visiting this thread hasn't noticed - the first 650 ownership report is live from BHPian 'Hammer & Anvil'.

Quote:
NO, NO!!
There is a subtle but very important difference between versys and RE twins and even the 310GS w.r.t headlight.
Thank you nasirkaka. That's something i hadn't noticed.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 16:12   #144
BHPian

I took a test ride of the GT650 today at Acclaim motors - Yelehanka. The test ride window is from 11:00 am to 05:00 pm. Not sure if the same is applicable on Sundays though. They let you go on a decent 17Km ride that is a mix of service roads with a few speed humps and a smooth airport road highway.

Some of my personal observations with respect to the GT and since my daily ride is a KTM D390 please forgive me if I compare it with that.
a) The riding position is not extreme
b) My thighs do not grip the tank and my knees rest on the engine guard(Not sure how long that will last with constant pressure). I'm 5'7
c) The bike is really smooth and relaxing to ride, this I know because every time I ride the duke, my fitness tracker automatically detects a spike in my heartrate and thinks I'm cycling really hard but it did not detect anything on my 15km test ride.
d) Its deceptively quick.
e) The mirrors were buzzing
f) Gear shifts are smooth and precise and not once did I feel the bike was going to stall
g) I always cover the brake lever with two fingers and on the Duke there is no issue but on the GT my hand hurt a lot , not my wrist but the area between my thumb and index finger, also across my palm. Did anyone else feel this ?
In hindsight I should have ridden the Interceptor to see if it was the angle but I have a feeling its because maybe the reach was too much. Hopefully adjustable levers can fix this.

And oh, I forgot to mention I had already booked the bike a week ago in a true fan boy moment!
deepfreak15 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 16:22   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure on the exact reason, but that is the general advise in most user Manuel. Some believe that using kill switch regularly will burn-out the contact points resulting in loose connection and bike shutting off. Some also believe that once we get accustomed to using that switch, we may using the switch by mistake/unintentionally, which to result in a mishap. There are also some who believe that switching off the engine using kill switch does not prime the fuel pump on fuel injected bikes and could result in fuel pump damage in longer run. Many riders abroad practice the use of side stand to kill the engine when getting off the motorcycle, and leave the bike parked in gear. Prevents accidental rolling off esp around slopes. RE twins come with the side stand switch. Yay!
Sorry to debunk this urban legend - there is no harm in using the kill switch to switch off the bike. MC Garage even did a video on it.

Only thing is to remember to switch off the key when moving off the bike for longer duration so that you dont drain the battery
ethanhunt123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 16:51   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to debunk this urban legend - there is no harm in using the kill switch to switch off the bike. MC Garage even did a video on it.
There could be some logic in almost all manufacturers recommending to use the kill switch not as a general practice but only during emergency. Like they all recommend to use the traditional engine runing-in method of gradually increasing the speed/rpm, but that does not stop people from using Motoman's method of breaking in an engine which is diagonally opposite to manufacturers recommendation. Agree that some of the practices have been carried on from past when the manufacturing tech, materials and tolerances were not as precise as in today's CAD/CAM era but even in 2017 and 18 they do the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-02.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01-01.jpg  

Old 14th December 2018, 16:57   #147
BHPian

The kill switch should NEVER be used when the bike is in motion. If done so, the rear wheel will lock up and throw the rider off.
Old 14th December 2018, 17:21   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There could be some logic in almost all manufacturers recommending to use the kill switch not as a general practice but only during emergency. Like they all recommend to use the traditional engine runing-in method of gradually increasing the speed/rpm, but that does not stop people from using Motoman's method of breaking in an engine which is diagonally opposite to manufacturers recommendation. Agree that some of the practices have been carried on from past when the manufacturing tech, materials and tolerances were not as precise as in today's CAD/CAM era but even in 2017 and 18 they do the same.
Sir - did you see the video ? Both key & the switch are part of the same circuit. I fail to understand what could be the logic of not using the kill switch ?
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 17:37   #149

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianuoui View Post
The only two things that bothered me from my first inspection of the bike at the showroom (and probably require a second look) are:
For those who did have a similar questions on this mind, the situation with the ECU under the seat isn't as bad as I had suspected it to be.

Examining it patiently from a few angles did put my worries to rest. The unit is well sealed and the wiring leading into it, does seem like a job well done.

It should hold up well against regular splash during a wash, unless of course - you/service center went gung-ho with a hose!

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1544788645616.jpg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-1544788668422.jpg

Last edited by ampere : 14th December 2018 at 18:27.
Old 14th December 2018, 17:55   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sir - did you see the video ? Both key & the switch are part of the same circuit. I fail to understand what could be the logic of not using the kill switch ?
Sire, wish i could pin point the exact reasons behind the manufacturer's recommendation but i am not sure and even i would like to know for sure. What i am guessing is circuitry is one aspect, the other could be cognitive. when we are conditioned to doing a task like operating a switch frequently, there could be probability of using the switch in a panic situation which could result in more damages? Anyhow, it may not be a big issue as we are all used to operating switches in our own comfortable way and dont really come across news of mishaps due to kill switch operation. For all we know it would be a simple safely measure, more prominent in the past, less relevant in the present, but still is carried on. Personally i use to use kill switch at signals, but have formed myself to unlearn and hardly use that switch these days.
MODS: sorry, i guess this is gone a bit off the topic. Lets get back to the interceptor and the gt.

Most Viewed