Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2018, 18:18   #151
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Glad to share a good news!

My Orange Crush Interceptor has arrived.

Would be taking the delivery next week.

Quite excited, however, I am buying a bike after a very long time.

Deciphering the VIN will work for bikes? Would be good to let me know some pointers for PDI
shijinpr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 21:44   #152
BHPian

A friend of mine took delivery of his Interceptor today morning. Looks like a beautiful motorcycle
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20181214wa0001.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20181214wa0002.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20181214wa0003.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img20181214wa0004.jpg  

rahul4321 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 21:49   #153
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Deciphering the VIN will work for bikes?
Why? The bike is freshly launched internationally as well and you are one of the first few to get it. So why bother about checking VIN?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 23:31   #154
BHPian

A great review there crazydriver. As a Bullet owner myself I see that a lot of things are ironed out but then something's that I found strange.

No doubt both these bikes are a brilliant VFM package but bullet is about the low end torque and cruise thumping. So will have to take this with a pinch of salt but then progress has to be made some how.

With all this technical breakthrough happening at RE, I am really looking forward to the RE 838 bobber. That should be better. And RE matching upto HD - dream come true
Old 15th December 2018, 00:39   #155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Sir - did you see the video ? Both key & the switch are part of the same circuit. I fail to understand what could be the logic of not using the kill switch ?
They're not part of the same circuit per say, but that is more or less the idea.

The engine kill switch comes between the Ignition Coil Ground and also triggers the Starter Relay.

Fact still remain that claiming the use of the engine kill switch to cause more damage is bogus.
Old 15th December 2018, 10:19   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
Lets get back to the interceptor and the gt.
Of course, but let’s quickly dispel this useless myth first

Urban_Nomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2018, 18:41   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
It's arrived and it's been amazing. Right now, I don't want the evening to end.
Congratulations, wish you many more engrossing kms on your Orange crush..awaiting the initial thoughts & a detailed ownership review.

Cheers
Old 16th December 2018, 07:07   #158
BHPian

I took a test ride of the twins at their Cochin Brand Store.
My points on the bike. CL500 riders perspective.
Positives:
1. Free revving engine.
2. Slick gearshift.
3. Nice exhaust tone
4. Love the 70s look.
5. Brakes are awesome.
6. Speed picks up with little or no drama.

Negatives

1. Soft and Narrow Seats not comfy. (Interceptor)
2. Palms started to pain after riding the GT for 15mins.
3. Engine could have used with a little more low end torque. Kindly note: CL500 will make you lazy to wring the throttle. Bulleteers would say you wouldn't need to, others would argue that you cannot as the engine wouldn't take it. On one occasion with the int650 I thought I was in 2 nd gear while I was actually in first.

I had booked on 23rd Nov. Hope to get delivery in March.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 16th December 2018 at 07:22.
sureshkishore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 08:31   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Glad to share a good news!

My Orange Crush Interceptor has arrived.

Would be taking the delivery next week.
Congratulations!! Do give us your feedback as you spend some time with your new bike. BTW, what date did you book the bike on?

As for me, I have booked an Interceptor on 18-Nov, amn't sure what yhe delivery date is going to be. I am buying a bike after 24 years and riding one after some 20 odd years. Looking forward to how the experience unfolds.
outdoorlover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 10:47   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoorlover View Post
Congratulations!! Do give us your feedback as you spend some time with your new bike. BTW, what date did you book the bike on?

As for me, I have booked an Interceptor on 18-Nov, amn't sure what yhe delivery date is going to be. I am buying a bike after 24 years and riding one after some 20 odd years. Looking forward to how the experience unfolds.
Sure. I am taking the delivery on 19 Dec. I booked on 15 Nov, mine was the first orange crush at the showroom. Me too back to riding after a long time.
shijinpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2018, 20:54   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
How? Is it because of the seat alone, or some other difference is also there?

Also, rear suspension preload is set stiffer on the GT - so making it similar to the Interceptor may help a bit as the suspenion goes down a couple of mm with the rider's weight.
I checked out the Int and GT 650 yesterday at a dealer. The GT (798) is only 5 mm lower in seat height from the Int (803) and that is due to the GT's seat being 5 mm thinner than the Int.

As per the technical guy at the dealer, the only way to make the GT or Int ride lower is to tweak the rear suspension (as you had also said) which may reduce a few mm more. When I asked how much lower he said 4-5 mm but I think he was just guessing. Only way to know would be to actually make that adjustment and measure how much lower it sits. Perhaps one of the twin owners on T-BHP can do that experiment.

The sales guy was listening in and realizing he was losing a potential customer suggested that I could easily get someone to reduce the seat thickness lowering it by say 10-20 mm. Though given that both twins already have a fairly thin seat, reducing it further will make it difficult on poor roads and / or long rides.
bevivek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 13:01   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
First, lets go through the messages on the thread as this video is been shared just on the previous page.

Coming back to the 650 Twins, this Saturday morning, there was a test ride event organized by RE mainly for the various bullet clubs. It was at Embassy boulevard on the airport road, starting 7:30 AM. There were 6 bikes (3 interceptor and 3 GT) for test ride which was followed by chit chat with RE enthusiasts and actual RE product testers, and a nice breakfast buffet, all on the house. There were stacks of helmets and Riding jackets for those who did not have them for the test ride. A really sweet gesture was that our photographs were clicked on the bike and before we left, a printed copy of it along with a hard paper frame was provided as a souvenir. Am sure just watching that photograph at home, one would get tempted enough to book the bike. All in all, very well thought and organized event, and i was really surprised as this was coming from RE. If this is the direction, for sure RE is on right path.

Coming back to the test ride, i had gone along with a friend. After registering with usual details, we were given a tag on the wrist which read "ridden the twins". As we were early bird, we were asked to choose the bike and we chose one interceptor and one GT between us, and thought to exchange the bikes midway, to get a feeler of both. We were given the keys, and told to just take the bikes wherever we wanted and return in 30-40 mins. As simple and good as that.

For the bikes, enough is already been said. I rode the GT first and would not go there as thats not my cup of tea, but a few general observations were, that GT felt quicker of the two and the brakes also belt to bite better. While trying to hold the tank with knee, one ends up holding the engine. RVMs are useless on GT, does not show anything. The committed riding posture is too sporty for my liking.

Back on the GT, It kept reminding me of my air-cooled mag-wheel bonnie. Ok, not in the same league, but the feel, posture, sound, look, stance, etc is all so much like bonneville. I dare say, interceptor is a poorman's Bonnie. The engine is rev happy, acceleration is linear, flat torque curve and gear box is precise and slick. Fit and finish is much superior to what RE is been traditionally churning out, but would need a bit more to be at par with international brands. Given the cost perspective, there is nothing at all to complain on fit and finish, except a few minor things like indicators, grab rail welding, the rear tail lamp, etc. The seat is soft& narrow and on hard acceleration, one gets pushed into the seat and back.

GT seat felt much better in comparison. handling is pretty neutral and front end feels light enough to easily manouver in traffic. Am used to versys, so the interceptor actually felt light weight and small in comparison. Braking is surprisingly sharp and the bike is instant. Not like the classics which lacked the bite and feel was progressive and slow. GT brakes felt much sharper then interceptor, could be the particular bike. Suspension felt basic and would need an aftermarket upgrade. The bike is an all rounder and will do good as long as roads are good. May need tyre and suspension upgrade to be true blue scrambler, as there is tremendous potential with all that juicy torque at low revs. The horn is a surprisingly loud for a stock bike.

Few small niggles observed were that side stand is tucked way inside and one has to hunt for it and in the process endsup touching the pipes which are very hot. All the bikes had footwear marks at that area as it happens with a melting and residual depositing of footwear on the hot pipe. The ride side engine casing fouls with the shoes when on peg, will require getting used to. The pegs are indeed slightly apart and one would have to be a bit careful in B2B traffic at crawling speed, may interface with calf, but am sure we will get accustomed to it. All in all a good bike at great price. My freind already booked a baker express, i will book my baker express this coming weekend. Some pics from the event.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-01.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-02.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-03.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-04.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-05.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-06.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-07.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-08.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 18th December 2018 at 05:48. Reason: Please use paragraphs & spacing to improve readability
nasirkaka is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 14:22   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post

https://Youtu.be/D0S4nMx_tbA
Thanks for sharing this mate. I was always wondering as to why RE hasn't mentioned about NOT using the kill switch often in the owner's manual. (Referring to my Tbird500) Well looking at this video I know why they haven't mentioned it. So using kill switch is perfectly alright as it won't do any harm to one's motorcycle or the wiring.

Kill switch is more of a safety feature and nowhere in the owner's manual does it mention to not use it frequently. I liked the way he asked for clarification from Triumph about them mentioning not to use kill switch often and only in an emergency. While Triumph clarified that it is to prevent the battery from draining in case the ignition is still left on(unknowingly) while the kill switch is turned off.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 17th December 2018 at 14:25.
Old 17th December 2018, 15:02   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul4321 View Post
A friend of mine took delivery of his Interceptor today morning
Congratulations to your friend, Rahul! So are we going to see a lot of ride stories from you with the 650 along with your Duke? Bring it to Danny's for a coffee meet. One more reason for us to arrange another meet.

By the way, which showroom is it? Is it the one near the RTO or Nehrunagar? Those were the guys who had the test ride bike first in the city as well.

Ride Safe,
R-Six
Old 17th December 2018, 16:54   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why? The bike is freshly launched internationally as well and you are one of the first few to get it. So why bother about checking VIN?
He has got a point though. Being India, I'll always have a doubt if RE has not sold me a media ride bike after polishing it. You can never be too sure.

Most Viewed