Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2019, 12:20   #1081
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Finally decided on the first set of improvements. Need to get the handle bar height adjusted. Any recommendations ?
Old 16th August 2019, 12:46   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
Finally decided on the first set of improvements. Need to get the handle bar height adjusted. Any recommendations ?
I am guessing you want to get it pulled in towards you..

I wanted to lower the handlebar position and I did it last weekend. Just loosen the two bolts of the clamp that holds the handlebar, and then you can tap the handlebar to gently tug it towards the rider. Sit on the bike, get a feel and modify till you feel comfortable, and then tighten those two bolts. Don't forget to loosen and change the angle of the brake and clutch levers after changing the handlebar's position.

I loosened just these two bolts highlighted in the image below and that was enough to get this job done.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-motorbikehire14582.jpeg

Last edited by aravind.anand : 16th August 2019 at 12:52.
aravind.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 14:04   #1083
BHPian

Thanks. Anyway i can increase the height of the thing? I am looking for a more upright driving posture.
Old 16th August 2019, 14:28   #1084
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairanupg View Post
Thanks. Anyway i can increase the height of the thing? I am looking for a more upright driving posture.
For a more upright riding position you will have to buy new risers which are available with a lot of sellers specifically for the Interceptor, you can google it up and choose the one you like.

Heard from a friend that using a 1 inch riser did not require any new cables or wires.
Old 16th August 2019, 15:01   #1085
Senior - BHPian

The risers for upto an inch wont need anything specifically done. They are 10 mins DIY fitting. Anything more than that would need a rerouting of wires - remove them from the clips under the tank and route them closer to the frame - horizontal bar on which tank rests. That way you get the slack for almost two inch risers. This should solve the need for most folks and like Aravind said, tilt it slightly towards you and you should be fine.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-jpeg-image0f96e9e55d201.jpeg
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-jpeg-image0f96e9e55d202.jpeg

If this still does not help, see if you get custom made handlebars.
Old 16th August 2019, 21:30   #1086
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO, if someone installs handlebar risers they must make sure the clutch cable and the brake hose from the front wheel master cylinder still has enough length to accommodate the new height. Under no circumstance should either of these items be stretched tight.

Noraly had her Himalayan's handlebars raised which resulted in the clutch never fully engaging. This wore out the clutch plates and almost stranded her out in the boondocks. Had her front brake hose been stretched to the point of breaking, things could have gotten very dangerous, very quickly.
ArizonaJim is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 12:17   #1087
Senior - BHPian

I am using 2" handle bar risers. The posture is much comfortable compared to stock. However, ideally i would have liked to raise it an inch more. As of now, the cables are just about ok. We did not reroute them but adjusted a bit, and on complete left and right turn, they are just about ok. I will attempt to raise it an inch more, and try rerouting the cables. Lets see how that turns out, but even as of now, the ergonomics is much more comfortable. some pics of the 2" risers.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190810_152217.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20190810_152226.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2019, 13:50   #1088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I am using 2" handle bar risers. The posture is much comfortable compared to stock. However, ideally i would have liked to raise it an inch more. As of now, the cables are just about ok. We did not reroute them but adjusted a bit, and on complete left and right turn, they are just about ok. I will attempt to raise it an inch more, and try rerouting the cables. Lets see how that turns out, but even as of now, the ergonomics is much more comfortable. some pics of the 2" risers.
these look real sweet mate. Thanks a ton. do let me know where to source em from ?
Old 19th August 2019, 14:50   #1089
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
tap the handlebar to gently tug it towards the rider.
Not a good idea.

The handlebar is usually grooved, unless you properly loosen the clamp you'd be wearing down either the grooves or the holder, resulting in the handlebar rotating under force i.e hard braking/bad roads etc.Hence ideal to loosen all 4 bolts before rotating the bar.

As for position, it should be set in such a way that the handlebar should be in line with your front forks, reason being when you brake hard you want the weight transfer of your body to compliment the front wheel, anything offset not only interferes with braking but also puts undue load on the handlebar holders and T Plate, an issue since if separate there would be handlebar cushions in place and they're made out of rubber.

Ride Safe,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 10:14   #1090
BHPian

Completed the first service yesterday. Odo was at 473km.

Paid the usual 2.7k and left for him just as the service centre was closing. I noticed that there's a very noticeable vibration in the foot pegs at around 15-20kmph while both accelerating, braking or just coasting to a halt. As soon as I reached home I did a chain clean and lube myself assuming the chain hadn't been touched after they had thoroughly washed the bike.

So this morning I took it back and the service technician said its probably dirt in the rear brake pads thats causing it. So they did the needful but the vibration is still there unfortunately. The tech said ride it a bit more and it should clear out soon. But I'm not buying that opinion.

Any idea what it might be? Could they have bent the rear disc on a test ride or something? Could it be the rear wheel hub?

This was from the Koramangala Service Centre in Bangalore.
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:25   #1091
Distinguished - BHPian

Has any owner ridden his Interceptor/GT in the (proper pouring) rains? Asking as I rode the bike for over 2+ hours in Bangalore - Krishnagiri rains; and I found the engine more strained than usual.

To give a comparison, the bike would go to nearly 5000 RPM to reach 100kmph; while the normal RPM levels seen are around 4000 RPM. The bike was functioning fine later (without the rains). Overall, I felt the power throughput was lower, even at lower speeds during the rains.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:45   #1092
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheParsiStig View Post
Paid the usual 2.7k and left for him just as the service centre was closing. I noticed that there's a very noticeable vibration in the foot pegs at around 15-20kmph while both accelerating, braking or just coasting to a halt. As soon as I reached home I did a chain clean and lube myself assuming the chain hadn't been touched after they had thoroughly washed the bike.

So this morning I took it back and the service technician said its probably dirt in the rear brake pads thats causing it. So they did the needful but the vibration is still there unfortunately. The tech said ride it a bit more and it should clear out soon. But I'm not buying that opinion.

Any idea what it might be? Could they have bent the rear disc on a test ride or something? Could it be the rear wheel hub?

This was from the Koramangala Service Centre in Bangalore.
Were you able to find any resolution on this? The first service is mainly to replace the engine oil and clean the air filter and inspect everything else. I'll suggest taking it back to them only and getting them to check everything from top to bottom. I have had a good experience with the service centre earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Has any owner ridden his Interceptor/GT in the (proper pouring) rains? Asking as I rode the bike for over 2+ hours in Bangalore - Krishnagiri rains; and I found the engine more strained than usual.

To give a comparison, the bike would go to nearly 5000 RPM to reach 100kmph; while the normal RPM levels seen are around 4000 RPM. The bike was functioning fine later (without the rains). Overall, I felt the power throughput was lower, even at lower speeds during the rains.
Could water have entered your tank (unlikely but it could be a cause) or around the spark plugs? Was there any misfiring that you faced in these conditions?
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:13   #1093
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Was there any misfiring that you faced in these conditions?
Could be. I thought I heard the bike misfiring once or twice; but I'm not sure as the rain was pretty strong when I thought I heard it; and there was a lot of highway noise around.

Edit: I'm heading to the service center today.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 22nd August 2019 at 11:14.
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:24   #1094
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could be. I thought I heard the bike misfiring once or twice; but I'm not sure as the rain was pretty strong when I thought I heard it; and there was a lot of highway noise around.

I think that due to the heavy rains, some drops of water may have entered near the spark plug (akin to what would happen if you say pressure wash a bike and then try riding it) leading to some potential misfiring. This happened to me once after the Royal Enfield SVC pressure washed my bike for a service. Once the few drops dried up though, there was no issue after that and the situation hasnt happened to me ever since then.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 11:39   #1095
BHPian

Quote:

Do check the rubber gasket seal in the fuel tank cap.
Mine was found torn after 2 months of use, and water had entered the tank due to this.
ishan12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed