Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2021, 10:08   #3241
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Hi,
I have a query on crash guards. Could you guys please mention which crash/leg guard you have on your interceptors and their actual performance in a crash (not manually laying the bike on the side)?

I have the compact engine guards and touchwood, haven't dropped the bike yet. While I did doubt the functionality when I got one, I risked it banking on my past history of dropping a bike only once in last 5 years (just data, no bragging ). Had some close calls in low speed u-turn maneuvers especially on slight gradients and this is causing me to rethink. This especially since first thing to go would be the brake/clutch levers and I have the adjustable ones from TEC bike parts that I LOVE! Don't want to install barkbusters as they don't go with the look.

Closest I can think of is to install the large crash guard from RE itself but I don't like large crash guards. The one from Zana seems functional but I find it hideous.

So, anyone who has the large RE crash guard that has survived to tell the tale?
Old 12th December 2021, 10:17   #3242
BHPian

No crash guard is going to protect your handlebars as the vast majority of damage to a handlebar is from frontal / brushing impact. Any crash guard that exceeds width of the handlbars is a hazard in my opinion as it impairs spatial judgement while maneuvering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
Hi,
This especially since first thing to go would be the brake/clutch levers and I have the adjustable ones from TEC bike parts that I LOVE! Don't want to install barkbusters as they don't go with the look.
adises is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2021, 12:57   #3243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgyan View Post
So, anyone who has the large RE crash guard that has survived to tell the tale?
My friend had a low speed (~20 kph) crash on his Inty with large RE leg guard. Only the guard and rear brake lever were bent, front brake lever was completely fine. I also had a fall with the large crash guard, but it was almost at standstill, no damage to front brake lever.

However, like adises mentioned above, without barkbusters there's no guarantee that the clutch/brake levers will come out undamaged in a crash. It all depends on luck, speed, type of crash etc.

When I was trying to decide which leg guard to buy, I found the RE official large one to be the most effective. It's not obnoxiously large like Zana and other aftermarket ones, and I felt the RE compact guard will not help with saving my leg if I drop the bike on it.

Might be worth looking into getting just the metal bar from Barkbusters, leave out the plastic bit, should look alright. That metal bit for the Xpulse was about 6000 bucks, not sure how much the TEC levers cost, to justify the expense.
Old 12th December 2021, 21:33   #3244
Senior - BHPian

Took her out for some fun on a twisty road. Not exaggerating, but this thing is like a fat little sport bike. It almost goads you into getting low in the corners… something the stock bike almost never did
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-062d2d5dab4d44a9a42e76b18f5e386b.jpeg  

Urban_Nomad is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 11:57   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
Took her out for some fun on a twisty road. Not exaggerating, but this thing is like a fat little sport bike. It almost goads you into getting low in the corners… something the stock bike almost never did
This is excellent news for folks like me who are waiting for the right motivation to jump on this conversion bandwagon.
I hate the way the front feels on the stock set up, so much so that I wanted to sell this bike off and get something more nimble.

Do share the efforts needed to get the KTM front wheels on the Twins. Call me greedy, but more details the better.

Thanks man!
hiren.mistry is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 15:39   #3246
BHPian

Have been on a hiatus from riding my Inty now. So I finally decided that it was about time I took her out for a spin. It all started when one of my friend visited Saputara a few weekends ago with his fiancé. He went all gaga about the roads and how well the place is maintained. I went about saying oh please if I have to ride 250km one way why not ride down to Mahableshwar and spend the weekend there. Few weeks passed and one fine day while at work I decided so what’s up with this Saputara, can I explore this place alone, can I do a single day return ride, what all can I do… all these questions but with no answers. I decided in order to get answers to these questions, lets just ride like I used to do earlier. Oh and I might have ridden the Inty more in 2020 than in 2021. I blame my job change for that particular reason.
So this past weekend I woke up early and got ready for a ride and stepped out of the house before 6am! Nowadays I sleep in till 8am. So 6am is kind of a miracle as such for me.
The roads from Mumbai-Igatpuri are familiar. I might have covered this route n number of times. The toute after Goti toll was not explored by me on the Inty. The Nashik byplass flyover right upto Pimpalgaon was covered in a breeze. The roads after taking a left at Pimpalgaon was surprisingly amazing. Well paved single lane highway. No bumps, no potholes (too good to be true right?). Could easily maintain speeds around 80-100kmph. Reached Saputara around 10ish. 4 hours on a single tank of fuel and no breaks other than the water sips that I take. Not bad for someone who hasn’t been riding for quite some time I would say.
Now coming to Saputara. The town is very small, I guess a day should be good enough for a person to cover all the places in and around. The place is easily accessible for people from Nashik and Gujarat. The view from the sunrise point is impeccable! And the approach roads to get to that point is also fun! I’m on a fully stock bike for almost 5 years now. My bum hasn’t ever complained about it ever. Touch wood. In my limited time at Saputara I tried my hand at Paragliding and boy was that fun! On the whole I would say this is a good place for people to explore on motorcycle and the winters are a good time to visit this place for sure. Also oh I missed riding the Inty!
Attaching some pictures from my ride.
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-ad915b1c997d44d7bfea5f3fe199e46e.jpeg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-4b9fa7e6484843b68312d43c08c80c63.jpeg

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-e8a5367e82ad4b65961cfe32bfd0b5ec.jpeg
BikeDevil44 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 18:30   #3247
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nTorq View Post
Not sure about the exhausts from the Street Twin, but the AEW TE201 exhausts look great on the Interceptor 650 in my opinion. I’ve put those, and I love them! There is also a significant increase in the bass of the exhaust note.

Here are a few pics.

Some of the other mods I've done:

1. Added tank pads
2. Changed the stock handlebars to the ones from Jawa 42 for a more committed riding position
I have been eyeing this exhaust for along time, tell me a few things:
* Is it considerably lighter than stock
* How loud is it compared to the stock? loud enough to draw cops attention?
* Does it make any popping sound on de-acceleration?
* Has the power been affected, for good or bad?
* Hows the quality of the pipes?
* Do you have the chrome ones, or the SS? How much do they cost these days?
* Would it require to remove the exhausts to remove the rear tyre?

TIA.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 13:16   #3248
BHPian

Quote:
The rear alloy is from the meteor... plug n play.
Hey could you post a picture of the meteor alloy where the info is stamped on it?
Like in the picture I have attached (stock rim).
Same if you could it for the ktm front alloy....
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-resizer_16396407518440.jpg  

Old 17th December 2021, 14:18   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasirkaka View Post
I have been eyeing this exhaust for along time, tell me a few things:
* Is it considerably lighter than stock
* How loud is it compared to the stock? loud enough to draw cops attention?
* Does it make any popping sound on de-acceleration?
* Has the power been affected, for good or bad?
* Hows the quality of the pipes?
* Do you have the chrome ones, or the SS? How much do they cost these days?
* Would it require to remove the exhausts to remove the rear tyre?

TIA.
I have the Gt and have been using AEWs for the last two years, i have the chrome version as they cost significantly less than the SS ones.

They are very light compared to the stock ones, stock weigh around 10 kg whereas AEWs weigh around 4 kg. Moreover I used to find the stock exhausts very bulky and not proportionate at all. AEWs are considerably short, narrow and compact. I like the new look.

They are considerably louder than stocks, but you have the option of putting in baffles, baffles make them comparable to the stocks, but when you revv and go beyond 3k rpm you can hear the difference. But when you are on stop light without revving and with baffles on, no one notices them.

They do make popping sounds frequently, but they have their own mind, I don't know what exact conditions should be there for the pops.

I haven't noticed any difference in the power much as it has been 2 years and i don't remember how the stock used to behave. Moreover I am a sedate rider so haven't exactly extracted the last bit of power out of my bike.

The quality of the pipes is good, no rust or anything, the chrome finish is still intact.

Chrome ones costed me 9500rs while the SS ones were 16500rs 2 years ago, it was a no brainer for me. Moreover the pipes from the engine to the exhausts are chrome, so chrome finish ones go better with them. SS ones look odd as soon as you notice the remaining bike as the bike has chrome bits everywhere.

I have the GT and I don't have to remove the exhausts to change wheels, but if you have to its a very easy process to do so, 2 bolts and the exhausts come off!
yesyeswe is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2021, 15:50   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandfulOfHell View Post

4. I have been waiting for the alloys from RE forever but they don't seem to be in any hurry to launch 'em. Are there good quality after market options available? I do not want to change the wheel size.
Came across a post from Dismotech. They have a 17 inch side locking spoke rim, so for those who want a tubeless setup with spokes, looks like you can have your cake and eat it too. I haven't come across anyone who has installed this though so if you're the adventurous type with the moolah to spare please give me a feedback and I'll go ahead as well.

On a separate note, I noticed that the Meteor comes factory fitted with a USB port which is neatly hidden under the clutch. Has anyone managed to get a hold of those for their Continental/ Inty? Is it compatible as a direct fit? I'm really looking for minimalistic options for my clipons on the GT and do not want to go with those bulky mobile holders. Just planning for a hidden USB port and a phone pouch or a fork stem mount for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-screenshot-20211217-154836-dismotech-dismotech-instagram-130-photos-videos.png  

Last edited by silentstorm : 17th December 2021 at 15:55. Reason: Added content to avoid a separate post.
silentstorm is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th December 2021, 15:15   #3251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
Hey guys,

I have a used interceptor, first owner used it for 2.2 years / 17k kms.
I was wondering if it makes sense to opt for the extended warranty (std. warranty will lapse in August 2022)
As far as I know, RE warranty is limited to only the first owner. As soon as the bike is sold, the second owner cannot claim warranty.
schakravarthy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 09:59   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Can you please share the details of what was needed to be done to get the front Duke alloy fitted? And specifically which Duke model?
Old 20th December 2021, 11:52   #3253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
As far as I know, RE warranty is limited to only the first owner. As soon as the bike is sold, the second owner cannot claim warranty.
This is not true, please check Owner's Manual, it's written in it, I had shared earlier. Once new owner's name is updated in vehicle documents you can update the details at RE service center.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-rewartc.jpg
Posting again

Last edited by surjaonwheelz : 20th December 2021 at 11:57.
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 11:55   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
This is not true, please check Owner's Manual, it's written in it, I had shared earlier. Once new owner's name is updated in vehicle documents you can update the details at RE service center.
That's correct, I also got extended warranty once I have transferred the vehicle to my name. Warranty can't be linked to the first owner.
gharika is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2021, 13:02   #3255
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I have the Gt and have been using AEWs for the last two years, i have the chrome version as they cost significantly less than the SS ones.
Thanks! That helps. Just one more doubt. How bad are the poppings and how frequent? On the bonnie, with triumph off road silencer (free flow type), there were mild popping sound while de-accelerating. One could almost achieve them on will with some experience with de-acceleration. Someone on the forum had done some experiments with blocking the PAV / breather tube by inserting a glass marble in the pipe and tightening with a cable tie on both sides. I tried the same and it completely stopped those popping sounds. Wondering if that would be a possibility here. I like the looks of those pipes. The chrome ones and would go for DB killer, as an not looking at louder pipes.

On another note, we went for a short group ride yesterday for breakfast. 13 twins, mostly interceptors and some Gts. Sharing some pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211219_085808.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211219_090015.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20211219_090215.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks