Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2022, 11:36   #3511
naj
BHPian

Re: Continental GT 4 Months Ownership

Hello,
Just want to share initial experience with motor bike.

I have the GT 650 for about 4 months. Since I was abroad, the actual use is for 2 months with 700 km .
Primary use- travel to work.

Ease of riding- I find it not so easy to maneuver in Pune's bumper to bumper traffic. Feels the bike is more suited for less traffic and for open road.

Braking and inertia- The brakes although are ok but I feel they are inadequate in Bumper to Bumper traffic. I almost activated the ABS with scary braking scenarios most of the times. The bike does not want to stop with a mass of 280 Kgs especially in rapid acceleration and bridging gaps at traffic lights and also when the vehicle in front stops abruptly. One has to plan and maintain the gap. But there are always others who filter in the gap that is created. Need changes in riding style.

Other vehicles and riders usually don't anticipate the issues with braking and inertia and just cut in without realizing the GT is a big heavy bike.

Slow speed riding - In 2nd gear still need to maintain around 30 kmph which is quite difficult in Pune traffic and have to shift down to first.

Stability- the bike slips when crossing small road gaps or when passing over undulations. Also passing over pot holes makes the bike steady.

Big Bike experience: I am glad I have not gone in for a 1 million-rupee bike as the more I ride and experience daily riding situations I feel using a car is more safe and suitable in Pune traffic.

Riding triangle- yes its aggressive. My Palms hurt especially the Thenar area after about 20 mins of riding. Lately I am also experiencing slight neck pain with a backpack.

Clutch and Gears- The clutch is hard and in stop and go traffic cause pain in fingers in addition to pain in the palm when using clutch. Feel the clutch is quite hard.
Finding Neutral is always difficult.
Turning radius - Is not small but is not an issue.

Overall Experience - I happy with the bike. I knew these issue will come up.
Some of the above make the riding slightly unpleasant but that is expected. I feel its my riding style that needs to improve, may be, as I have seen many riders on RE 350 ride in traffic like crazy.
Secondly I feel riding this is quite different than riding an activa or a non geared scooter and requires more caution. Every thing is different - viz I always mount the bike with the side stand deployed and also dismount the same way, parking needs care and list goes on.

Thanks, NAJ

MOD NOTE - Request you to please go through Posting Etiquettes for better post composition resulting in good readability for the end user.
Thanks.

Last edited by Aditya : 25th April 2022 at 19:45. Reason: Mod note attached.
naj is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st April 2022, 13:06   #3512
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Primary use- travel to work Ease of riding- I find it not so easy to maneuver in Pune bumper to bumper traffic. Feel the bike is more suited for less traffic and for open road
Naj, sell off this bike, it’s not going to get better, will only get worse with time and the bike will depreciate in value further. Considering you will use the bike in the rainy season, your problems with braking and handling will get compounded, which will make the existing issues even more dangerous.

Be cold and practical, for commuting (travel to work in Pune) if you must use a bike, get a Honda CB350. It will be a practical and much better bike for your use case. Your hands, fingers and body will thank you also

All the best friend.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2022, 21:28   #3513
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalmechano View Post
I'm looking to buy one from them as well this week and get it installed here in Coimbatore on my GT. Fingers crossed!!! Is this the model you got?

AUTOBAHN LED L5 GXP-3 90W
Product link: https://autobahntechnologies.com/pro...v=c86ee0d9d7ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenchhillar View Post
Hey Ashish,
How is the performance of the LED as compared to stock light ?
"Low" beam:
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1758.jpg

"High" beam:
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1759.jpg

"Low" beam:
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1760.jpg

"High" beam:
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_1761.jpg

The performance is absolutely amazing. They are very bright, light up a good chunk of the road(and other things) ahead.
I need to adjust the angle of the headlamp as right now it's busy illuminating all the overhead signs.

I noticed something odd, which was also the case with the previous, stock halogen. The "pass light" actually lights up the lower section of the light throw rather than the upper. If you can notice the difference between the first two images here, the "high" beam actually illuminates the lower half of the throw rather than the upper. And the upper half remains constant.

This kinda makes the "pass light" useless since it will never hit the vehicles in front.

It couldn't be because of how the LED is designed since this pattern is dictated by the reflector dome.

Is this the case with everyone?
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 09:34   #3514
Senior - BHPian

Mod Note : Personal attacks on fellow BHPians & rude posts are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family, and any discriminating or derogatory comment will NOT be permitted.

Please ALWAYS be civil, polite & respectful to other members...even in debate.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th April 2022 at 08:19.
Old 25th April 2022, 09:44   #3515
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing. How is the windscreen extender doing? (Is it worth investing?). Can you share the vendor details/link please?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashishk29 View Post
only made complicated by my carbon racing windshield
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 13:46   #3516
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thanks for sharing. How is the windscreen extender doing? (Is it worth investing?). Can you share the vendor details/link please?
The extender does deflect the wind to just about mid-helmet heights. So I'd say the it is worth it.
Got it from Motoioi here in Pune. No link, sorry. I went there in person and bought it. But it's a "pro-spec" one.
ashishk29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 14:57   #3517
BHPian

Installed the Carbon Racing Windshield 2.0. Best 2.5k I've spent lately. The difference is just night and day. Minimal wind buffeting, can now the throttle it without being thrown back, reduces fatigue to a great extent. Very impressive. Tested it thoroughly during a short ride last weekend. Extremely happy with the purchase.

While the product itself is really good, Carbon Racing should've shared an installation manual. It's quite a complicated job. Eventually got it installed at an FNG.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20220422_182452.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20220424_064906.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-20220424_100356.jpg  

ironshark is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 15:20   #3518
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Secondly I feel riding this is quite different than riding an activa or a non geared scooter and requires more caution. Every thing is different - viz I always mount the bike with the side stand deployed and also dismount the same way, parking needs care and list goes on
What 2 wheeler are you comfortable riding in? If it is the scooters, get the Ntorq from TVS or a Yamaha Aerox, or maybe an Activa too but please sample these before getting any of them.

If you are interested in a geared Motorcycle, a 150cc from Honda / Hero or a Yamaha FZ series (a bit more sporty) shall serve the purpose.

If you are comfortable answering, how many kilometers (in total of all 2 wheelers) have you ridden so far, were you facing issues earlier as well? Royal Enfield's are heavy and pottering / commuting in them is not everyone's cup of tea.

May I also suggest you to go through this (The Safe Riding thread) thread?

Thanks.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 20:05   #3519
naj
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
What 2 wheeler are you comfortable riding in? If it is the scooters, get the Ntorq from TVS or a Yamaha Aerox, or maybe an Activa too but please sample these before getting any of them.

If you are interested in a geared Motorcycle, a 150cc from Honda / Hero or a Yamaha FZ series (a bit more sporty) shall serve the purpose.

If you are comfortable answering, how many kilometers (in total of all 2 wheelers) have you ridden so far, were you facing issues earlier as well? Royal Enfield's are heavy and pottering / commuting in them is not everyone's cup of tea.

May I also suggest you to go through this (The Safe Riding thread) thread?

Thanks.
Hello Sheel ,

The GT 650 is the first ever Motor cycle I have owned.

I have been using the Activa as a city run around and clocked around 4000 km in last 2.5 years and have not faced the issues mentioned in above post .
The sole purpose of GT 650 was not for office commute but to full fill a desire to own mid size bike. I use a car for work and now using the GT to ride to work regularly to familiarize and learn to ride a bigger bike.
The Drive is 15 km one way thro rush hour traffic.
The situation on some of the traffic lights is such that one can pass the intersection after 4 to 5 rounds of light rotation and snailing from backed up traffic for 3/4 km is not easy on a GT IMHO .

The issues I have mentioned are in bumper to bunker traffic primarily as there is always a big chaos on Pune roads with every one crossing in your path , disorganized and what not.
However "practice makes a man perfect " so I will sort out the issues with my perseverance and of course guidance from FM's.
I am also not complaining but sharing my experience so far..

Thanks - Naj .
naj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2022, 21:52   #3520
BHPian

Quote:
Hello,
Just want to share initial experience with motor bike.

I have the GT 650 for about 4 months. Since I was abroad, the actual use is for 2 months with 700 km .
Primary use- travel to work.

Ease of riding- I find it not so easy to maneuver in Pune's bumper to bumper traffic. Feels the bike is more suited for less traffic and for open road.

Riding triangle- yes its aggressive. My Palms hurt especially the Thenar area after about 20 mins of riding. Lately I am also experiencing slight neck pain with a backpack.

Clutch and Gears- The clutch is hard and in stop and go traffic cause pain in fingers in addition to pain in the palm when using clutch. Feel the clutch is quite hard.
I understand your pain as I have the same bike and in the same city, fortunately my company has bus service so I don't have to ride the Gt everyday. It has been approx 3 years since I got the bike and I still get neck palm and back pain if I ride in traffic for long. For me this bike isn't meant at all for traffic and commuting in rush hours.

This is meant for riding on empty roads, with less traffic, where braking is minimal, Sunday breakfast rides are the prime example. I wanted a big just like you, I had never ridden a bike more than 220cc, so one look and a test drive was love at first sight . Unfortunately it is my only vehicle so I have to use it whenever needed, but it's not a comfortable bike. Like others have suggested TVS Ntorq or Yamaha Aerox would be fun and comfortable for commuting everyday, or maybe an EV!

Regarding the hard clutch, Google "easy clutch" , you will find about it on youtube, websites and on Tbhp as well, it is the best 2500rs I ever spent, it reduces the clutch effort and you won't find it hard after installation.

But whenever I find an empty straight, I just give a little twist to the throttle and I forget everything about the pain, and realise why I bought the Gt in the first place. But I wouldn't take the bike to the office everyday.
yesyeswe is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 13:57   #3521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post
Installed the Carbon Racing Windshield 2.0. Best 2.5k I've spent lately. The difference is just night and day. Minimal wind buffeting, can now the throttle it without being thrown back, reduces fatigue to a great extent. Very impressive. Tested it thoroughly during a short ride last weekend. Extremely happy with the purchase.

While the product itself is really good, Carbon Racing should've shared an installation manual. It's quite a complicated job. Eventually got it installed at an FNG.
I guess it is better if the windshield stabilizer is brought to the outer side of the handle as this will ensure unobstructed view of the speedo etc. This way of mounting also ensures you do not have the remove the handle cross bar if you ever need to adjust the windshield angle.
I had installed it the way you have done it at first and changed it to this, mine was a DIY
Old 26th April 2022, 14:40   #3522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironshark View Post

Yes i felt the same about the wind buffeting. Earlier i was struggling with anything above 100, but now can do 100-120kmph comfortably. Its also built really well, no vibes or rattles. For the price its really amazing, i also prebooked it and paid 2199+250 shipping. If anyone wants help with the installation, can check below video i made.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 26th April 2022 at 14:47.
Rahulkool is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2022, 15:26   #3523
BHPian

Had been waiting for the Carbon Racing windscreen to be back in stock. After reading the positive views, just placed an order.

DIY weekend it is!
Old 26th April 2022, 16:32   #3524
Senior - BHPian

This is the new model they launched a week back. I got one for my CB350 too. They had a previous model which could be 'back in stock'. Please check the model pics before ordering
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Had been waiting for the Carbon Racing windscreen to be back in stock. After reading the positive views, just placed an order.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2022, 16:02   #3525
BHPian

Hi all

Newbie here, have installed some accessories on my 2018 orange crush that I thought I'd share some feedback about.

1. DNA air filter : the most noticeable thing is the gravity it brings to the exhaust note. Purely from an acoustic point of view, those considering an exhaust change for a bit more bass would be pleased with it I think, add to it no worries of cops checking for modded exhausts. Some people have reported less engine braking, better engine breathing etc but maybe I'm too untrained to notice all that!

2. Puig windscreen: directs a lot of wind at my helmet , and not in a pleasant way. Also vibrates at triple digit speeds. Have taken if off, and I think the bike looks better too without a windscreen.

3. Advtribe pillion foot rest: Excellent quality but the functionality is puzzling. I mean it is broad, but it shifts the foot resting geometry even further back than the stock position. Why would they design it that way? As it is the pillion sits more on his/her inner thighs in the stock seating position rather that the gluteal region.

4. Pillion foot rest relocation kit: Got from HDT customs, good quality and serves the purpose well.

5. Zana bash plate: Good quality. But after installation I felt the vibrations that are there around 2800 rpm were getting pronounced, and have taken off hence. The vibrations are back to stock levels so I guess it's staying off.

6. Zana crash guard with sliders: good quality, no rusting so far. I wanted something to protect my legs from scraping in case of a fall, but most good quality available options are more of "engine guards" than the riders' "leg guards"! I'm ok scraping the engine if it saves my legs but alas.

7.Grip puppies: Good functionality, isolated the vibrations well but surprisingly not durable. Started crumbling off within a year of use.

8. Headlight : After succesfully putting on the YSS front suspension (have put up a review in the 650 suspension thread) I got cocky and wanted the best lights. So I started looking and finalized Trucklite 27270C from Revzilla. Had just kept JW Speaker 8720 also in the shopping cart as it looked good, had no intention of buying it. Slept off one fine night after ogling at the lights as usual, and found an email confirmation of having bought the 8720 in the morning. I tell you, nothing good ever happens after 2 am. You can find my opinion on the 8720 on revzilla.

8. Cyclops H4 10.0 ultra: After the unmitigated disaster that the 8720 was, I still needed a brighter headlight to navigate the unlit roads of Siliguri and it's nearby small hill stations, where I was stationed at that time. There are plenty of wild elephants in that area if you're familiar with those roads, and they don't take kindly to pesky vehicles surprising them. So got this one from Bikenbiker, happy to report that it's super bright and useful. It covers the road pretty well and even has discernible difference in high/low beam output. This also allows to keep the beam pointed downwards to minimize glare on the oncoming traffic in low beam. Simple plug and play, ballast fits in the headlight dome pretty easy and no cutting of the rubber gasket required.

Maybe I'll find some use for the 8720 in future

9. Zana back rest with luggage rack: wanted something clean without the luggage rack but this was the only one I liked at that time. Also, missus refused to ride pillion with the stock sissybar so had to. Its sturdy, well padded & no rusting so far, powder costing is good but the luggage rack adds unwanted bulk to the rear.

Attaching the 8720 & halogen pics, there's hardly any difference in brightness there.
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-8720-high-beam.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-halogen-high-beam.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-halogen-low-beam.jpeg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-8720-low-beam.jpeg  

Vtach is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks