Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 31st August 2022, 14:57   #3631
naj
BHPian

Re: Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin

Issue:Engine stalling abruptly.

Hello,
Sharing a recent issue faced on the GT650.
About two months back, the GT suddenly lost power at @ 60 kmph.I could ride it to curbside safely and restart it again. This happened 3 times that day and the issue did not return back.

Fast forward on the 29th and 30th Sept, the bike's RPM suddenly became erratic. I am not sure if the two issues can be linked or are related.

29th Sept: On a traffic light, the RPM suddenly started fluctuating as if the engine is starving for fuel. I revved a few times to prevent stalling and the issue went way for that day.Return was uneventful..

30th Morning: The issue came again and after a few times of revving the engine the issue seemed somewhat sorted but I knew there is something wrong the way engine was firing. Since the Service is en-route to office, I decided to try my luck and ride the bike for a drop off.
After about 1 km the issue came back . This time, not only the rpm fluctuated but also the firing became jerky.The ride also become jerky.
Of the things that came to my mind when this was happening were either the cylinders are starving for fuel, only one engine is firing or issue of fuel pp has come up again. Twice/thrice the bike stalled but was able to limp to the service station.

The issue was diagnosed as spark plug and plug connector failure which is replaced for that particular unit. The bike rides well.

Many of the office colleagues said how come the bike is facing so many issues- First the fuel pp conked off and then this latest one within just 9 months of ownership- I told them its quite normal for niggling issues to come up in a RE and are an essential part of ownership experience. The sensible ones did agree taking cue from the stories they heard from their acquaintances. The issue is when the problems are not sorted out and service guys become unresponsive. But the SA's are quite helpful generally.

Thanks- naj
naj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st August 2022, 20:06   #3632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naj View Post
Issue:Engine stalling abruptly.

The issue was diagnosed as spark plug and plug connector failure which is replaced for that particular unit. The bike rides well.

Thanks- naj
Same for me and fixed 2 weeks back, this BS6 model seems to have way too many issues.
Old 3rd September 2022, 23:54   #3633
BHPian

2 months after I brought an RE C350 Signals edition home, RE revealed the price of the twins. Since that day I’ve lusted for the Interceptor. Almost 4 years, a pandemic, life changes and 15k kms of motorbiking later I booked the Interceptor last week. Now eagerly waiting for delivery.
Already bought the angled CR handlebar risers. Looking for a top rack with pillion backrest. Had liked adv tribe’s design but they’ve confirmed that they’ve discontinued it. Even the Zana one seems unavailable.
Want to put in 500kms before deciding on a custom seat. At 5’7”, I’m short and hence don’t want to add any more inches to the seat height. Rather want to figure if I can change the foam material + scoop out to reduce the rider portion height in the design that @nasirkaka customised.
Another mod I am keen on is to add maddog scout x aux lights + BS3 switchgear to switch off the AOH. Still trying to figure if the BS3 switch installation will mess the warranty.
Ohh and did I mention the Way2Speed rider foot pegs repositioning brackets?
Decisions decisions… ohh when will the bike come and take my mind off these. For a brief time atleast.
GreyNomad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th September 2022, 21:26   #3634
BHPian

Greetings RE Twin owners/enthusiasts/gurus.

I won't name anyone since you guys know who you are (and I don't want to run the risk of missing anyone out), but heartfelt thanks for inputs here and via ownership threads - current and past owners of either 650 model, learned presences who are non-owners et. al. They have all helped tremendously. In short: I'm planning to book a British Racing Green Continental GT 650 "very soon" (details below).

Fair Warning: Compulsive, detail-oriented enthusiast in the most obsessive phase of crushing on impending purchase. For example, just like my car purchase few years ago, I'm quite substantially prepped even before booking, and am already deep into both the owner's and service manuals.

Also, IMHO ergonomics and rider triangle preferences are increasingly subjective, so please forgive any seemingly illogical preferences detailed below. Oh, and BTW, I'm looking at only twin cylinder motorcycles (don't want a single, can't afford more than 2) - in case you are kind enough to suggest alternatives.

I'm sharing a detailed post because I'd appreciate the community's thoughts/input on any and all of this, as per your convenience/inclinations/proclivities.

TL;DR - Don't bother then, no hard feelings, no second thoughts. I can probably easily manage to get a TL;DR section together but prefer not to. I don't like the age of short attention spans, and I shall continue to ignore it to my potential detriment.

Lastly, my laptop gave up the ghost last evening and this is being done on my phone. Apologies for inadvertent errors.

--------------------------------------------

Let me attempt to give you a succinct overview. I'm a returning biker - returning after a decade and change - which may make me sound a bit older than I am; my "first" biking phase was 16-19 y/o. Recently, back issues have been "sorted" + I have been blessed with caretaking a friend's Ninja 300 for a good 6-ish months - which is how the bug to get back to biking has bit me HARD! This is after a few false starts and significant missteps in the middle of said decade-long hiatus.

About a year ago, I TDed (TRed?) an Interceptor - GT TR bike was unavailable, and it wasn't my preference at the time anyway. I even preferred the looks of the Interceptor back then. After said short TR, I came away thinking it was an only slightly improved RE that was inexplicably overrated by so many I have come to trust (teamBHP community, Stuart Fillingham, FortNine) - damn near bordering on a train wreck actually. Here's why that impression came to be (as I understood a year later after getting better re-acquainted with motorcycles thanks to my friend's Ninja 300):
1. Spectacularly ill-maintained TR bike.
2. Freshly serviced Ninja 300 compared to it.
3. My inexperience (detailed later).
4. Without even going into the Interceptor's footpeg issue (not a big deal at 5'10" for me, but still not the most ergonomic), my distaste for the Interceptor's riding position was what turned me off completely - to the point of almost dismissing the truly fantastic, VFM package the twins are. My abhorrence for even slightly forward-set footpegs and even slightly high-set handle bars is such that even the Interceptor feels horrible - let alone something like a Classic/Avenger.

Now I had an FZ16 back in the day and always preferred the semi-committed riding stance + wide & flat handle bar compared to my friends' Pulsar 220s. Though we frequently interchanged and I loved pushing the Pulsar 220 through twisties, I enjoyed the FZ more in every other circumstance - even in heavy traffic with a pillion (wasn't just the rider's triangle, but also the gear shift and smoother albeit less powerful engine that I liked). But yeah - I was surprised that I hated the Interceptor quite so much. By contrast, the Ninja 300's Sports Tourer position immediately felt like "home" - absolutely dashed perfect from the second I sat on it. So, despite former/dormant back issues, I don't like an upright riding position and prefer it semi-committed - make of it what you will - but my back feels worse in the "comfortable" upright riding position widely regarded as "better". I've done multiple 100+ km rides on the Ninja recently to be absolutely sure about this - with a fair bit of light off-roading thrown in (lots of standing-on-the-pegs and riding over bad roads and off-road patches too).

This might beg the question - why not a Ninja 300 then? Why an RE? A brand I had no regard for (other than business sense) before the launch of the 650s.

Part of it is:
1. Bit of a "no replacement for displacement" mentality, and I'm low-end torque junkie (I have been enjoying a big diesel engine for about 4 years now).
2. Never liked fairings. Not into Cafe Racers per se, more street nakeds - think Z900. Like retros too which helps the 650s' case. Had even considered a Triumph before deciding on a 4 wheeler instead few years ago - heard many Triumph horror stories and laid-off (really glad I did).
3. I have absolutely no intention of keeping a hard-to-self-service/no-ASC-in-hometown bike. I've seen how hard it is for my friend to get any service here off-late, let alone one involving a complication/repair. Even the typical travelling-technician-from-nearby-big-town-servicing-multiple-bikes-in-small-town arrangement has become a bluer moon than before.
4. I can always ride a Ninja 300 whenever I want even though it's back with my friend and I don't need to play caretaker - why have 2 of the same?

But even more so, I realised a few things after a more recent, interesting TD - now that I'd become some semblance of a "rider" again (if I may be so bold). Let me share the TD experience before I get to the primary reasons.

The moment I felt the pinch of the Ninja 300 going back to its rightful home, I reached out to both local dealerships asking if they had acquired a dedicated Continental GT 650 TD bike. To my utter delight and jubilation one of them said yes. When I got there, turns out the dealer had actually "converted" his Interceptor to a GT. Basically tank and handlebar swap only. So I got to experience half the GT's rider's traingle, and not the rear-set footpegs or their relatively different position wrt the brake and gear levers.

Anyhoo, back to the "primary reasons" for an RE 650 over Ninja 300, after TRing the above "InterContinental":
1. YMMV, but I find I much prefer the RE 650 engine to the Ninja 300. They're both fantastic in their own way and the Kawasaki probably "objectively" better, but I prefer the relaxed, torquier RE compared to the free-revving dream and/or hooligan the Ninja 300 can be.
2. For something like a premium bike from a premium brand (Kawasaki is one at least in India), I'd like to go for an actual premium bike and wouldn't want to go for a 300/650 - and I simply can't afford a Z900 or something.
3. The fuelling. Oh God the fuelling! The BS4 Interceptor's organic throttle feel blows the snatchy Ninja 300 BS4 out of the water. I can only imagine how much worse the BS6 Ninja 300 is, and hope that the RE650s have remained largely unaffected.

So, it appears an RE650 which is not an Interceptor it is.
= Continental GT.
I've somehow really warmed to the Cafe Racer look too, over the past year.

But trouble is, like I said, no TR bike here in Jabalpur (MP) - that too only BS4. So not only can't I get a good idea of the Continental GT's rider's traingle, but I also don't know if and how much the fantastic fuelling has degraded. Shocked to hear (via posts on this thread) that others experienced the same even in cities like Pune.

I naturally flat-out refused to test ride new, yet to be delivered GTs that both dealers were disappointingly quick and downright pushy in offering. The same issue happened with my car purchase, but that's another story - different manufacturer, different conditions where the OEM was more than willing to get the cheapskate dealer in line - I have no intention of being foolish enough to pursue RE in that regard.

Now, I know for a fact that BS6 Continentals are available for test ride in say, NCR. While I have travelled uncomfortably often to metros in the last few years, that hasn't been possible for the last year or so. And I don't feel like driving 500+km just for a TR right now.

For now, I can tell the GT's position will likely fit me better than the Interceptor, but will also be more committed than the Ninja 300. Please do correct me if I'm wrong on this count. But either way - until I experience it for myself, neither the best will or advise in the world can help me be sure enough to spend close to 4 big ones on it.

The point of boring you with the above nonsense is not just that I'd like to hear your thoughts, but I'm also venting as a form of therapy - as I'm sat here bikeless in glorious weather building castles in the air with thoughts of mods.

I'm waiting for either dealership to come through on their alternative, less unpalatable TR offer - a short customer vehicle test-ride (with permission and in presence), and am also looking for someone via my circle. But my hopes aren't high.

--------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, regarding said sand castles of frustration, I have also gone over some mods/accessories in my head. Will bore the community with those in a subsequent, imminent post.
Mu009 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2022, 18:58   #3635
BHPian

So coming to the accessories/mods/maintenance products bit. Please feel free to offer any and all advice for any item you see fit - "not needed at all", "buy this instead", "there's a different solution", "this just won't work", "just live with this", "wait and see" etc - I'm open to any and all suggestions.
*Not affiliated with any of these brands in any way, just looking for advice. All links provided only for ease of those dispensing advice.
**Still doing this via phone so apologies for any errors.
-------------------------------------------
1. Oil Cooler ("Radiator") Guard:
Would prefer an OE accessory for such a component, but I'm forced to look to the aftermarket for want of an OE accessory.
Auto Infinity has a slit style guard for 1050 INR, made from machined steel. Has no photos with it attached to the bike and the slits look massive in isolation, however if you look at the guard they make for a Yezdi in context (ie fit on the bike) the slits don't look so large.
https://amzn.eu/d/cu2GGXX
https://amzn.eu/d/b0LUvc3

ADV Tribe has a more prominently branded guard for 2800 INR with the more conventional honeycomb pattern. This one is made from T6 6061 Aluminium.
https://advtribe.in/product/royal-en...adiator-guard/

I'm leaning towards ADV Tribe despite branding and price because I (perhaps mistakenly) believe that HoneycombMesh>Slits for this application - primarily via a "monkey see, monkey do" sort of response to the way this accessory is traditionally made for big bikes.
2. Auto Infinity Front & Rear brake oil reservoir guards:
Definitely want the front guard for the cleaner aesthetic, and not sure how protective the rear guard really is with the aperture sizes - that said, the rear brake fluid reservoir does look like it could use some protection.
https://amzn.eu/d/gIyfhb0
https://amzn.eu/d/09QBbu5
3. RE Black Swingarm Bobbins (factory fit via MiY):
Probably overpriced at 1000 INR (after permanent 10% discount). Come with the logo which somewhat enhances the look (not really needed I suppose). Just going OE for convenience and because swingarm bobbins are a critical component.
4. RE Sump Guard (factory fit via MiY):
I've seen the installation instructions and I don't want the dealership monkeying with pipes and sensors on a new bike. ADV Tribe, Auto Infinity and many others offer them, but again, don't want to monkey with fitment + would rather go OE factory fit for such an accessory. More than open to a better option on this count as well - aftermarket seems to offer "more" protection via design/coverage and better materials, but again, feel like sticking with OE factory fitment on this.
5. Some external, app-only TPMS:
Can't use internal on tubed tyres obviously. Sensairy seems out of stock. Can forgo this if y'all suggest that damage to valves is too likely/it's too much of a pain when topping up air (I personally check and top up air in all our vehicles at home, cold).
6. Fork Nut Clock (from British "time4bikes"):
I'm a bit of a mechanical watch enthusiast, and this is the only thing missing from the Twins' clocks IMO. I love them as they are and would have preferred even the small digital odometer + fuel + trip metre screens being absent, but that's obviously not practical.
Haven't settled on colour (dial or threaded area below bezel). Also, the more reputed Hitchcock's also carry it, but it seems to be the same thing just a little pricier. Would love to know if anyone has experience ordering through these guys.
Aware that this is a British manufactured thing so it might just turn out to be a waste of money (primarily via water leak), but I'm willing to take the risk for £40 + customs to "complete" the instrument cluster.
https://time4bikes.com/epages/5c3e8c..._Enfield_Twins
7. Silkolene Pro 4 10W50 XP:
I plan to do the first change with RE ASC supplied oil at the specified 500kms, and then change it again at 2500km (after full run-in is complete) - warranty preserved and I'd want another oil change anyway. Will continue to do "double oil changes" like this in a planned manner to keep warranty & my mind happy (pretty confident "better" oil doesn't matter beyond placebo effect and only causes loss of vitamin M, but hey, I'm in the company of like-minded crazies - I don't need to explain this).
8. Silkolene Wash Off, Silkolene Pro Prep and Meguiar's All Metal Polish:
I have a veritable army of detailing products for my car (I consider myself an amateur detailer), but I'll be going for these as per Uncle Stu's advice (I presume most have seen Stuart Fillingham's excellent YouTube channel). Will help keep the bike clean and shiny, will also shine the engine casing up to my spec/like RE did the media bikes, but not customer bikes.
9. RE Black Bar-End Finishers:
Seperately purchased, not MiY, as I'd like to retain the originals for some future plans I have. As I understand it, unless it's an addition like Swingarm Bobbins or Sump Guard, a swap customisation on MiY means you don't get the original fitment, only the specified "upgrade" - correct?
10. RE Silver Oil Filler Cap:
Again purchased seperately, not MiY. Gratuitous, I know, but I do think these little things matter. Will simply put the black one back on when I give it for service (though the plan is to stay with the bike for every service, obviously).
11. Tank Strap & Leather Side-Panel Bags:
From "Raw & Rugged Leather Company" (thanks to one of the ownership reviews). Strap is again purely ornamental (might provide some protection at the fuel pump?), and leather bags might not be the most practical for wet conditions, I suppose.
https://www.rawandrugged.in/product/...co-right-left/
https://www.rawandrugged.in/product/...tobacco-brown/
12. Black Heel Guards (DIY):
The silver ones (not to mention RE's atrocious polishing/finishing on levers and engineer casing) are an eyesore.
But absolutely not paying RE 1200 INR to blacken them - have some black high gloss rustoleum left over from a previous DIY job that'll work just fine.
13. RE Dual Premium Touring Seat + Dual Seat Cowl (MiY):
Will go MiY to save ~1k with the swap + have heard good things about the cowl's qualityrice ratio (material & especially paint) - anyhow, RE will do the best paint match, obviously, so it's a no-brainer IMO.
14. Backrest + Top-Mount:
Don't worry, not going to marr the looks of the bike by having this on all the time. It'll be in dual seat + cowl guise most of the time. But for rare planned trips with a pillion (horrible pillion ergonomics, remember?), the swap (cowl removal + backrest&rack addition) should take under 20-minutes.
Would love a suggestion here - RPC, Zana, elsewhere?
15. Bar-End Mirrors & Mirror Delete Plugs:
Deliberately left these for last. Would like to stick to OE for mirrors which I regard as a critical safety feature, but the OE accessory is "plain" and widely regarded as being priced atrociously (~6500 INR). It's only available Black. Chrome Halcyons I don't know how to source, and I'm also confused between Black and Chrome looks-wise. Functionally, Black will be easier to maintain, but Chrome might help with reverse-blinding high-beam abusers perhaps?

The other confusing bit in the mix is Road Power Customs. Apart from their mirror delete plugs (800 INR), they sell slightly less atrociously priced bar-end mirrors (~5900 INR) that are AR-coated and convex. They are available in Black, Silver and Black + Silver (only pictures of Black are available).
I've heard good things about their quality-but-overpriced clip-ons from BHPian CarManMotorcycl. I've seen some negative reviews freely hosted on their own site which gives confidence. The mirror delete plugs and mirrors have positive (if few) reviews on their site, BTW. Also, they do carry some quality imported stuff + offer a lot of self-fabricated accessories usually only offered for the twins by overseas customshops.

That said, their owner's online sales/commercial tactics reported by BHPian derek here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post4947551 (Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin)
are exactly the sort that make me extremely weary of a brand/person.

Would love some guidance on this. Anybody know RPC & their quality? Their integrity & customer support? I don't mind overpaying a little (especially for top-notch quality), but I do mind dealing with less-than-stringently-ethical entities.

Also, though it is hugely subjective Chrome vs Black bar ends like-wise thoughts on a British Racing Green Continental GT?

https://roadpowercustoms.com/shop/ol...ar-end-mirrors
16. Fuel-nozzle tank protection (DIY Design + Local fabrication):
A square thingy with a FuelFillerCap-sized hole in the middle, with microfibre underside & a PU top side. To be used exclusively for pump trips (I rarely "just fill up" unless touring and take all vehicles separately early mornings). No matter how carefully you ask attendants to do it, they invariably drip some onto the tank, in my experience.
17. Stuff to think of later (as needed/after I learn to ride better + learn more about the bike and my needs):
A. Headlamp: Addition of switch to nullify AHO and/or full-blown switch to LED with DRLs.
B. RPC's overpriced petrol tank gasket in case of OE gasket failure.
C. Tripper Navigation: Not big on GMaps/Android Auto even on my long expeditions in the car, so I doubt I'll ever want the ungainly 3-dial setup. But it's reassuring to know it can be bought and retrofit if I ever feel the need later.
D. Changing front fork oil to higher weight/Suspension Upgrade: No point in thinking about it now IMO. First let me learn to ride + understand the bike, and even see if I'll ever be close to its limits. Or if the suspension does indeed wear and sag as quickly and to the extent as reported by some owners here.
Mu009 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2022, 14:43   #3636
BHPian

Ever since I got back on the saddle last year, I've been itching to find a tribe of bikers that I can enjoy the Indian landscape with. This process unfortunately for me involves participating in larger group rides where I hope to find a clique that shares similar passions. last Sunday, I joined a group of 12 other bikers on a ride to Srisailam and back.

The trip promised scenic forest views and ghats as we rode through the Nallamallas and a view of the Srisailam hydroelectric project which is India's second largest capacity Hydroelectric project. My personal agenda for this ride was to chase the monsoons and try to escape Hyderabad's recent humid phase all the while enjoying the Interceptor's parallel-twin symphony on Telangana's excellent road network.

While I rode to Srisailam with this gang, I had to split and make my way back to Hyderabad solo so I wouldn't miss the Dutch Grand Prix. The weather, unfortunately was the antithesis of perfect riding conditions, the sun was out in all his rage and humidity seemed like it was at an all-time high! The bike however did not skip a beat! Attaching a few pictures of the ride! Enjoy
Attached Thumbnails
Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc3481.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc34822.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc3487.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc3490.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc3496.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc34992.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc3503.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc3508.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc3512.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-_dsc3513.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pxl_20220904_003903987.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pxl_20220904_004020148.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pxl_20220904_0045213622.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pxl_20220904_0335006532.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pxl_20220904_035036584.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pxl_20220904_035126711.jpg  

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-pxl_20220904_035149474.jpg  

2legit2quit is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th September 2022, 11:17   #3637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishan12 View Post

Posting few pictures from the ride below.

Ridden: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 & Continental GT 650 Twin-img_20220813_150746.jpg
Is the disk of front brake loose/ broken? (seems to be highly shifted towards left)
Old 8th September 2022, 12:28   #3638
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
Is the disk of front brake loose/ broken? (seems to be highly shifted towards left)
Hi Ajay,

It's due to camera lens distortion at the corner of a frame. See the wheel doesn't appear a perfect circle!

Cheers,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2022, 16:32   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
BS3 switchgear to switch off the AOH. Still trying to figure if the BS3 switch installation will mess the warranty.
If I remember correctly, the BS3 switchgear does not accommodate the two lines needed for the inty's throttle cable. You can run the bike using one cable but I prefer not to tinker with such things.

There is another solution available which plugs something into the bike's wiring which makes the pass switch double up as a switch for the headlamp.
surjaonwheelz has it installed on his bike.

do consider this as an option - https://novatronixlabs.com/product/p...tronic-switch/
jomson13 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 13:22   #3640
BHPian

Have had to part company with mine because I had to leave the country, but it’s held value well, always goes to show how much a well engineered product pays in the long run as well.
philipmathen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2022, 23:39   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jomson13 View Post
If I remember correctly, the BS3 switchgear does not accommodate the two lines needed for the inty's throttle cable. You can run the bike using one cable but I prefer not to tinker with such things.

There is another solution available which plugs something into the bike's wiring which makes the pass switch double up as a switch for the headlamp.
surjaonwheelz has it installed on his bike.

do consider this as an option - https://novatronixlabs.com/product/p...tronic-switch/
I’ve seen this novatronix plug and play fix on bully biker’s YT channel but I’m unsure how it’ll play with the headlamp if I change it to Maddog HR70. The other option is to keep the OEM headlamp cluster and install the ScoutX aux lamps. But then with the mounting, harness and switch, the aux lamps will cost almost 2X of a headlamp trade out. Given that I don’t usually do highway riding beyond 7/7:30pm, the aux lamps could be an overkill.

I didn’t know about this ‘2 throttle lines’ of the Interceptor. Could you explain a bit more on their functionality and how the trade off might harm the motorcycle?
Old 11th September 2022, 19:58   #3642
BHPian

So recently I have started facing this issue with starting of my bike, the bike has run 7800 kms and was purchased in July 2019, so 3 years old. I haven't installed any electronic accessories as well.

This issue doesn't have any pattern, happens mostly in the mornings though, this happens once sometimes, sometimes 2-3 times, and once happened for 7-8 times too.

This sound keeps on coming till I keep on pressing the start button, I release it after a few seconds and try again, sometimes it starts after that, sometimes it happens again. There's no common pattern, but the bike starts every time. And the next day after giving me troubles it starts in the first attempt.

So is this just an old battery issue or I have read in one thread that the issue came back after a battery change and problem was of accessories relay. Suggestion would be helpful a lot.

yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 05:38   #3643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
So recently I have started facing this issue with starting of my bike, the bike has run 7800 kms and was purchased in July 2019, so 3 years old.
Whatever that is, it does not sound good.
Does your battery lamp stay lit after the bike starts? If Yes, then it is a weak battery. Check voltage with a multi meter while cranking. It should not drop below 9 volts. If it does, it should recover in under 10 seconds. If its not recovering, that is a sure sign off a weakened battery. 3 years is good life out of that battery and for a bike that has not run much.

The only other issue could be a weakening starter cause it sounds as though its trying to turn the engine and its not able to. Either something is jammed solid or there isn't enough current to turn over that big engine.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2022, 12:18   #3644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
This issue doesn't have any pattern, happens mostly in the mornings though, this happens once sometimes, sometimes 2-3 times, and once happened for 7-8 times too

This sound keeps on coming till I keep on pressing the start button, I release it after a few seconds and try again, sometimes it starts after that, sometimes it happens again. There's no common pattern, but the bike starts every time. And the next day after giving me troubles it starts in the first attempt.
First thing that popped into my mind was...
1. Battery, if you feel changing battery don't help, the next thing to come on my mind is
2. Fuel Pump, reason being, this is the next thing to get initiated when the switch is turned ON

Kindly do us a favor please - Keep the engine kill switch OFF, every single time you turn ON the keys. Then see if the sound appears only after the engine kill switch is turned ON or does the sound appear regardless of it. Pls do this test for a month & see if you're able to produce the problem OR until the sound starts appearing when the engine kill switch is turned ON

Also take a note of the fuel (and the age of fuel) left over in tank, when this sound is heard; I suspect something got to do with the quality or quantity of fuel, which ideally shouldn't matter, but this being RE & not Honda, everything is subject to suspicion hehe

And, if you've extended warranty, my suggestion is of least help to you & you know why

Last edited by aargee : 12th September 2022 at 12:20.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2022, 16:50   #3645
BHPian

What's the opinion here on stock Pirelli replacement tires? Both my front and rear are absolutely shot to bits. I want to keep the cheap thrills philosophy going, so not looked into Timsun etc. Current contenders are Ceats and Ralco Speedblasters. Good thing is that I can see them available on Amazon, there's major SVC/Tyre store availability issues in my tiny town. I'm leaning a bit towards Ralcos because I tend to push my luck and take the bike places it's not really supposed to, but your opinions are welcome, as always.

Ceat front here. 3100 from a good seller.
Ceat rear here. 4900 from a good seller.
Total 8000

Ralco front here. 3500, no seller options.
Ralco rear here. 3000 from a good seller.
Total 6500
RiderZone is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed